Gaming Football Manager 2023

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What are the game breaking bugs?

I'm in my 6th season, was at Sheffield United for 5 years, won the league and fa cup in the last year as it was piss easy to load up on wonderkids. Took over Napoli now. Not sure if it's just Napoli but their squad building is horrible. Like they haven't signed any young player at all. Entire squad over 27. Have a front 3 of Kvara, Osimhen and Madueke now who I signed though :drool:

The other big problem that I've seen is that when you are interested in established players, they're all like quoted at 150m or 200m. Then when I am manager, I'm getting offers of 50m max. One window at Sheffield, City was offering 15m for Ahmedhodzic and the next window it was 50m, now that I left he's 120m. All on the same conttact. Doesn't make sense.
Majority of squads you take over will be players in their late 20s.

MattofManchester

Soooo, basically, according to what I've read in the thread, if you have FM22, don't buy 23.

SI also have a history of band-aiding serious issues and further patching it up only in the following year's release, so it might be likely they'll do the same.

Their QA on release has been seriously bad for some time now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
For those that are interested, Football Manager Mobile is pretty good this year, with several noticeable improvements on last year's effort.

Team talks have been introduced, whilst I haven't played long enough to really notice what difference they make, it appears they affect your team's confidence before and at half time in games.

Development hub has been introduced. This gives a good easy way to see how youth are developing, how loan players are getting on, how people are training.

Greater player interaction, you can talk to players on loan. This adds a greater level of immersion and allows you to try improve confidence of players underperforming or give them criticism.

Overall I'd say it's a much better game than last year's, more detail yet maintaining the quickness of play.
Feels much more like FM08 before the 3d match engine came in. Which suits me perfectly.

MattofManchester

For those that are interested, Football Manager Mobile is pretty good this year, with several noticeable improvements on last year's effort.

Team talks have been introduced, whilst I haven't played long enough to really notice what difference they make, it appears they affect your team's confidence before and at half time in games.

Development hub has been introduced. This gives a good easy way to see how youth are developing, how loan players are getting on, how people are training.

Greater player interaction, you can talk to players on loan. This adds a greater level of immersion and allows you to try improve confidence of players underperforming or give them criticism.

Overall I'd say it's a much better game than last year's, more detail yet maintaining the quickness of play.
Feels much more like FM08 before the 3d match engine came in. Which suits me perfectly.
I'm curious if the full game can be released on mobile now. Games like Genshin, Fortnite and PUBG are far more intensive and resource hungry. I can't see why the mobile version should still be such a scaled down edition.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Soooo, basically, according to what I've read in the thread, if you have FM22, don't buy 23.

SI also have a history of band-aiding serious issues and further patching it up only in the following year's release, so it might be likely they'll do the same.

Their QA on release has been seriously bad for some time now.
Yep if you're inclined to skip some years then this is definitely a year to skip.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I'm United and we seem quite good, admittedly only played a few league games as of yet. Ronaldo is passable for the first year and de gea with 19 reflexes is hard to beat. Varane is also quality. I got a 4 month injury to casemiro in the first week which was crazy dumb as the guy barely had an injury in his life. Martinez is also pretty crap and underrated - 13 pace, Maguire is 12. Guessing the fm scouts just listened to Souness and Carragher rather than formed their own opinion.

Champ

I'm curious if the full game can be released on mobile now. Games like Genshin, Fortnite and PUBG are far more intensive and resource hungry. I can't see why the mobile version should still be such a scaled down edition.
They released FM Touch which could be played on tablets and some supported phones (is now only on Apple Arcade I believe), the issue was on smaller tablets and phones the interface was hard to deal with.

The FM Mobile game is designed around being quicker to play, as most people tend to play mobile games in short bursts rather than prolonged periods.

For me as a game it works brilliantly, it retains the depth and tactical acumen of the full game, yet allows you to play a full season relatively quickly.
It's like a hybrid of FM2008 and CM01/02.

Hephaestus

Won the Championship with Birmingham in my first season, currently 6 games into the next season in the Premier League. Have an xG of 9.48, have scored 6 - have an xG against of 9.09 and have conceded 16! 2 points after creating more chances in 5 of the 6 games is infuriating. I know it's my squad being shit at scoring and my new keeper getting injured meaning John Ruddy is letting everything in but christ.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
They released FM Touch which could be played on tablets and some supported phones (is now only on Apple Arcade I believe), the issue was on smaller tablets and phones the interface was hard to deal with.

The FM Mobile game is designed around being quicker to play, as most people tend to play mobile games in short bursts rather than prolonged periods.

For me as a game it works brilliantly, it retains the depth and tactical acumen of the full game, yet allows you to play a full season relatively quickly.
It's like a hybrid of FM2008 and CM01/02.
It’s very good as you say but they really need to work on the UI for phones in particular. I’m playing it on a 14 Pro Max and there is not enough room. They need to reskin it.

Pirlo'sBeard

Did they bother addressing any of the issues raised with the beta?

Issues raised by high profile players of the game who have contact with SI.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Itching to play this after a break for a couple of years but don’t have a laptop currently. Want a cheap one as that’s all I’ll be using it for. Is this any good?

Deal: ASUS Vivobook 15 X515JA 15.6" Full HD Laptop (Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Windows 11) https://amzn.eu/d/dYGuFhm

ben_united

Ronaldo 38 league goals for me in the first season on the Touch version. Really wanted to drop him but I couldn't.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Back from my holiday and looking to start this up. Any good teams to start with this season?

NoLogo

So what's the Caf opinion on the game so far? A lot of streamers seemed to be rather disappointed with this version, saying all the new features are essentially just fluff that contributes nothing to the game and the only positive so far being the ME.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So what's the Caf opinion on the game so far? A lot of streamers seemed to be rather disappointed with this version, saying all the new features are essentially just fluff that contributes nothing to the game and the only positive so far being the ME.
I’m not playing it at least until they do the next main update. Sounds like the most disappointing release so far and who would’ve seen that coming…

Lay

Probably the most negative release since FM13. FM13 was the one where the ME was unable to muster enough shots per game :lol: they fixed it with the final patch but that was horrendous. Had games with about 3 shots each at best.

This one, seems to be the one where people are getting fed up with the lack of new features. I still can’t believe they haven’t touched international football in about a decade.

They won’t have enough time to sort it out for this version. So on to FM24 it is

NoLogo

This one, seems to be the one where people are getting fed up with the lack of new features. I still can’t believe they haven’t touched international football in about a decade.
That fact that you still can't influence training during international games is just abysmal.

Another bug they haven't fixed for at least two version is the Club WC player fitness decline. Is that still in the game as well?

NoLogo

Probably the most negative release since FM13. FM13 was the one where the ME was unable to muster enough shots per game :lol: they fixed it with the final patch but that was horrendous. Had games with about 3 shots each at best.

They won’t have enough time to sort it out for this version. So on to FM24 it is
I'll probably install it with xbox game pass this weekend, but yeah I don't intend on buying it this year.

NoLogo

Sounds to me like the consensus is don't bother buying it if you have FM22. I'll do that, cause FM22 doesn't even feel much different to FM21. They've really gotten lazy in recent years.
I think the problem is that they have no real competition. Which is kinda weird to me. Okay I know the market isn't as huge as the FIFA ultimate team market, but surely there is space for another football manager game in the market? Then again all the competitors seem to have vanished, apart from a couple of weird mobile football manager games there doesn't seem to be anything around.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe it's just because of the way I build my teams, but pretty much every FM I'm trying to experiment with striker roles and every time I have to return to AF eventually. Tried F9, DLF(S), DLF(A), because I thought the midfield could use a bit of support with a DLP(D) and BWM, while my IF(A) can be the real goalscorer. But it's pretty hilarious how big a difference it made going from those three roles to good old bland AF. I guess without him stretching the opposition vertically the space is just too congested.

My setup:

can you guess after which game I made the switch?

Also what's up with this guy:

Mediocre squad player you say?

I don't even have a set position for him, I rotate him in at ST/LW/LCM, two of which he's not even a natural at.

Lay

Pressing forward (attack) or advanced forward are the only roles I give to my strikers. Everything else is useless.

saik

About to lose my best player to Liverpool. Goodbye Belgian Prince. :(

nooshka

Anyone know if it’s possible to change the match day screen so you’re able to see the ratings of both teams? Like the older games used to be.

nooshka

I think you can on the default skin, can't you?
Forgot to mention sorry I’m on the iPad version. However will be upgrading to the laptop version soon so just wanted to check it was possible. Thanks

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I started a new game as Everton and signed a young lad from Dinamo in CM, a 19 year old Brazilian ST and that 18 year old Norwegian LW.

The Norwegian lad is an absolute beast.:drool:

stepic

What are the game breaking bugs?

I'm in my 6th season, was at Sheffield United for 5 years, won the league and fa cup in the last year as it was piss easy to load up on wonderkids. Took over Napoli now. Not sure if it's just Napoli but their squad building is horrible. Like they haven't signed any young player at all. Entire squad over 27. Have a front 3 of Kvara, Osimhen and Madueke now who I signed though :drool:

The other big problem that I've seen is that when you are interested in established players, they're all like quoted at 150m or 200m. Then when I am manager, I'm getting offers of 50m max. One window at Sheffield, City was offering 15m for Ahmedhodzic and the next window it was 50m, now that I left he's 120m. All on the same conttact. Doesn't make sense.
squad building has been a problem with the AI for years. basically if you play long enough you're almost guarenteed to have the best team because everyone else doesn't properly develop their squads. same thing if you switch clubs in a save, the team you take over is always old af. seems like a fairly easy thing to fix, but they just never do. such an important thing too but they'd rather tweak something like squad planning which appears more as a 'feature' they can market, even if it's rubbish itself.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
squad building has been a problem with the AI for years. basically if you play long enough you're almost guarenteed to have the best team because everyone else doesn't properly develop their squads. same thing if you switch clubs in a save, the team you take over is always old af. seems like a fairly easy thing to fix, but they just never do. such an important thing too but they'd rather tweak something like squad planning which appears more as a 'feature' they can market, even if it's rubbish itself.
Honestly it's not something I ever noticed but this year it's awful. Normally I thought it was pretty balanced.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm pissed and refuse to believe something like this would happen. Coady pulled a muscle while running with the ball back to Pickford and then just stopped and sat down leaving the Villa striker to pick the ball up and score. I'm sorry but pulled muscle or not you'll fecking boot the ball out of play or to your keeper. Feck off.

Abraxas

Game seems ridiculously easy. More so than usual.

Heading for promotion from the Championship with Sunderland, most of the players are League One class.

Maybe it's because the squad is very young and they have developed nicely, but still, shouldn't have happened.

Amad Diallo a bit of a creative wizard on the right, but hasn't necessarily outshone some of the other forwards.

Champ

Game seems ridiculously easy. More so than usual.

Heading for promotion from the Championship with Sunderland, most of the players are League One class.

Maybe it's because the squad is very young and they have developed nicely, but still, shouldn't have happened.

Amad Diallo a bit of a creative wizard on the right, but hasn't necessarily outshone some of the other forwards.
The games been too easy for the last three editions, I get the impression that the older games were more difficult and so the 'casual' gamer would get put off, which obviously affects ongoing sales with the next release.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This version is far too easy. Top of the league in Feb with Everton while in real life we have been a bottom half team for the past two seasons. Silly.

Dave_MUFC

Portuguese third-party ownership is ridiculous.

Doing a Braga save, and had an offer in January for £26m with installments for Horta, which is massive for a club my size. So I accepted, and then before confirming the deal, I've found out that Malaga get 10% of his fee, and a third party is due 75% of his transfer fee. So that would leave me about £2m!

So it's really not worth accepting anything, although I am nervous, as he's got a £26m release clause, and I can't really afford to give him a wage increase for a new contract :nervous:

Santos J

Portuguese third-party ownership is ridiculous.

Doing a Braga save, and had an offer in January for £26m with installments for Horta, which is massive for a club my size. So I accepted, and then before confirming the deal, I've found out that Malaga get 10% of his fee, and a third party is due 75% of his transfer fee. So that would leave me about £2m!

So it's really not worth accepting anything, although I am nervous, as he's got a £26m release clause, and I can't really afford to give him a wage increase for a new contract :nervous:
That's more just a Ricardo Horta specific thing than Portuguese 3rd party ownership thing, it's the reason he's still at Braga and not Benfica now pretty much.

SparkedIntoLife

I still enjoy FM but I'm craving an alternative. I used to really enjoy Total Club Manager back in the day. Can anyone recommend a modern alternative to FM? Preferably something a little more lightweight and quicker to progress through.

Brophs

The One and Only
This version is far too easy. Top of the league in Feb with Everton while in real life we have been a bottom half team for the past two seasons. Silly.
Goes to show what can be done with a vaguely competent manager.;)