Gaming Football Manager 2024

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I haven't bought this year's edition yet. Are wingers actually good this year? For the last 2 FMs I was playing narrow diamonds because mezzalas were so much more effective than wingers, and having 2 strikers was better than 2 IFs. Has the new match engine changed formation meta at all?
Previously in the thread I noted that Mezzalas are still quite effective but I am finding that playing deeper midfielders and an AM with Inverted wingers/forwards is a better system to play. Mezzala is still effective but it is possible to go both avenues.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I despise knowing who the wonderkids are. Always want that to come organically for me, but I've already seen a couple of names coming up over and over, and it's basically impossible to forget them. Then if you play with a big team you have to toy between signing them because they're clearly the best or ignoring them and deliberately hamstringing yourself.
Back when I played I always restricted myself by only signing players my scouts had recommended. I never went into player search and just put in a name.

Ludens the Red

Nope not until I see they've fixed some of the major bugs. But the more shit Utd are the more desire I get to play.

I know a lot of the fixes require a new save so I don't want to jump into a deep save and then have to start again.
I’m the same at this time. So I just tend to do international saves till the first fix. You can test out tactics etc and actually pick out some of the bugs. You also don’t have to worry about fully committing to a semi broken game.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Back when I played I always restricted myself by only signing players my scouts had recommended. I never went into player search and just put in a name.
Why though? I think it's fair enough not exploiting the system to sign wonder kids, but if you've heard of a player being good in real life then I see no harm in checking them out in game.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Why though? I think it's fair enough not exploiting the system to sign wonder kids, but if you've heard of a player being good in real life then I see no harm in checking them out in game.
Because I liked it that way? There's nothing deeper to it, except I thought it was boring to always look up the same players.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Because I liked it that way? There's nothing deeper to it, except I thought it was boring to always look up the same players.
I can understand that, because once you know the best players and top wonderkids, it's very easy to just repeatedly sign them.

It's why I often sim to the future when the game is all newgens before actually jumping in.

I do think the in-game scouting is something they need to look at and massively overhaul.

The fact that we can pay £30-40 for this massive database of scouted players, that even receives a couple of updates over the course of a year, demonstrates how unrealistic it actually would be, especially at top clubs, to not have a single clue of how good a player is until your scout has travelled halfway across the world to watch him for a bit.

I'd actually be up for them introducing an even broader range for the random PAs, and making random PA a blanket thing for every player under the age of 25 or so.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Miles has apologised for the J League fiasco. Thats a good step

Lay

Hi everyone,

In the run-up to the release of FM24 I was really proud of the way that we’d communicated through the campaign – we’d wanted to give more transparency to you all on what was going on in the studio and the information about the new features. The series of blogs that I wrote was part of this, alongside a lot more info than we had historically provided – and we know this candidness was well received by our players.

Then the Early Access version came out and we dropped the ball a little bit. There are some valid reasons for this but, at the end of the day, we should have been just as open and transparent in the couple of weeks leading up to launch as we have been since early Summer, and we failed on that. And for that, all I can do is apologise, and try and fix it moving forward.

We knew about a week before release that some asset approvals wouldn’t be complete for day one – and we should have been clearer on this. We do have a disclaimer across stores and our websites stating approvals are ongoing (as we did for Early Access) - but we could have done more. We could have also explained that some licensing agreements have data cut off points for their league which means we can only feature players in that list up to that date.

But we didn’t let you know. And, again, we apologise for that. We are still working with licensors to get all assets approved, and as we get those approvals, we will roll out missing assets. What we cannot do is add players to the game that joined after the data cut off point – the roster list is set at a particular date as part of the official licensing agreement, and that’s how the license works for us and other partners.

Another thing that we did during the launch phase this year was a roadmap for when we were going to do feature announcements, and that worked well. So, we’ve decided to do the same for game updates too – albeit with a big caveat that this is what we’re working towards and could be subject to change.

Before we give you that information though, I also need to explain that the days of us being able to release updates a few hours after we’ve merged the last bit of code are long gone. Many of the platforms that we are on have “submission processes” where the platform tests what they have been sent before allowing it on their platform – something that is much better for the consumer in the bigger picture of things.

These processes can take anything from a couple of hours to two weeks depending on the platform and how busy they are at any point and with the last couple of versions of the game we’ve tried to have all these updates come at the same time if there are any cross-play possibilities.

But for our first minor update, which you can find more information about below, we want to release it on platforms as soon as they are approved by the platforms – with the caveat that this may mean that some people may not be able to play network games against people on other platforms during this rollout and crossplay across platforms (such as playing Football Manager Console on PC & Xbox), so if you don’t want to be restricted in that way, which only affects network games & crossplay, then please turn off automatic downloads on your platform.

We will, of course, let everyone know when the updates are out on each platform on our socials and our forums, and how cross play and network play could be affected.

Now it’s over to Jimmy who will detail what we’re working on for our first two updates for Football Manager 2024.

Miles Jacobson – Studio Director, Sports Interactive

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lay

:lol:

What’s the j league fiasco?
it wasn’t fully licensed as promised, 150 players missing, duplicated players, squads were completely wrong, rules were wrong which meant a lot of teams just didn’t work.

Ludens the Red

it wasn’t fully licensed as promised, 150 players missing, duplicated players, squads were completely wrong, rules were wrong which meant a lot of teams just didn’t work.
What the feck..how do they even make such a mistake ?
I recall though downloading some custom made j league database last season and noticed several players were duplicated. You don’t expect that from Si though.

Lay

We would like to thank everyone in the community who have given us feedback on Football Manager 2024 since Early Access and Monday’s launch.

As always, logging issues via our Bug Tracker and your general feedback helps us ensure we can continue to improve your Football Manager experience.

Within the first of our minor updates, we’ve made changes to various areas across the game.

Our database will now be further up to date with real world key events. We’ve also made changes to some attributes and kits from Turkey and France respectively. If you’re interested in the work that goes into our database and the research behind it, you can check out our latest blog over on The Byline.

Most of our fixes involve general gameplay issues that include changes to the frequency of AI loan offers, player unhappiness, as well as duplicated clauses within player contracts that were affecting club finances. Managers’ preferred style of play should now be more varied and accurate, and we have made changes to currency representation and youth league scheduling in certain territories.

Under the hood, there have been various stability fixes that look to address some higher profile technical issues raised on both our Community Forums and through SEGA support.

And lastly, the Match Engine is receiving tweaks to Goalkeepers, and particularly their injury frequency.

Minor Update Change list – Steam, Epic & Microsoft – Coming early next week

Licensing / Database 

• Kit updates
  • Updated database to reflect real world key events
  • Updated some players in the Turkish data
Match Engine 

• Reduced frequency of injuries to goalkeepers 
Bug fixing 

• Stability fixes for crash issues that were reported via our backtrace servers 
  • Fixed an issue with “Lack of squad depth at Center Back” unhappiness 
  • Removed duplicate clauses in player negotiations (Transfers & Contracts) 
  • Fixed an issue which causes AI teams to make an excessive amount of loan offers 
  • Fixed a bug causing imported FM23 saves staff & managers to default to a “Wing Play” strategy 
  • Fixed currency representation in Korean 
  • Fixed an issue with Korean U21 players not having games scheduled

Content Update change list – Coming soon

We are also working hard on a wider list of updates with a near future target-date to address some of the other feedback we have received including:

• Improvements to AI squad building and substitutions logic
  • Further updates to the match engine
  • Updates to player interactions
  • Quality of life improvements
  • Additional stability updates & bug fixes
  • Localisation fixes and updates
  • Data updates
Please do not be alarmed if an issue you have raised has not been resolved quite yet. Rest assured, the entire team is working extremely hard behind the scenes.

Thank you for your patience, feedback and continued support and stay tuned for more information next week.
Least they’re trying to improve the AI squad building and sub bug. This is the most open they’ve been, clearly they can see their fan base are getting extremely pissed off.

They haven’t mentioned much about the Argentina league bug but that’s been ongoing for awhile with no resolution

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Least they’re trying to improve the AI squad building and sub bug. This is the most open they’ve been, clearly they can see their fan base are getting extremely pissed off.

They haven’t mentioned much about the Argentina league bug but that’s been ongoing for awhile with no resolution
This is all that’s ever been needed. Be transparent about the issues you’re facing, what you’re working on and when you expect to fix it by. It’s not difficult and you’d be amazed at how quickly it disarms an angry fanbase.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, that's the most sincere Miles has ever been and speaks much more to a fan base than stupid snarky responses on twitter.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
I'm letting the game run in holiday mode before I'll start using this save to start my career. No real reason behind this other than trying something different.

BarcaSpurs

I'm letting the game run in holiday mode before I'll start using this save to start my career. No real reason behind this other than trying something different.

Bleak future ahead for non london clubs

Lay

Looks like London started their own league

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Morale and interaction stuff is a new level of low this year.

MDFC Manager

So I just started playing and my PL opener (as United) is against City :wenger:

Varane has left for Saudi, so looking at a replacement. Inacio for 38.5m release clause is what I'm considering. Any other alternatives?

Beek is also off to Juventus. So got about 60m available to spend. Any recommendations to improve the squad?

saik

So I just started playing and my PL opener (as United) is against City :wenger:

Varane has left for Saudi, so looking at a replacement. Inacio for 38.5m release clause is what I'm considering. Any other alternatives?

Beek is also off to Juventus. So got about 60m available to spend. Any recommendations to improve the squad?
Diomande, Scalvini and Antonio Silva best young defender talents in game. Scalvini is going to be the most expensive of all but you can get Diomande and Silva relatively cheaply.

Regarding improving your squad it really depends on what positions you are looking for and the game mode you are playing really. For example, if you are playing your world mode, Kendry Paez and Vitor Roque are still available on the cheap and are insane talents but any other mode they will be at Chelsea and Barcelona.

Herman Toothrot

First season with United done.

Won the Premier League on the final day after trailing City for the entire season. They needed a win, but somehow ended up squandering a 0-2 lead at Palace, finishing with a 3-3 draw and the title went to Old Trafford.

They got their revenge in The FA Cup final, winning 1-0 and stopping what would have been a treble as United beat PSG in the Champions League Final.

I didn't sign any players that season other than a young Italian right-back whose name escapes me. He replaced Wan Bissaka who Arsenal paid over £50m for and who he was keen to join. My only other transfer dealings were getting rid of Maguire and Van der Beak for £7 and £6 million respectively.

I didn't do any cheating. No editor, no quit and reload after bad results. Somehow feels a bit hollow as I know what this side is like in real life!

Second season should be interesting as Varane, Casemiro and Fernandes all went to Saudi clubs for something stupid like £350m. I didn't want to lose Bruno, but for £170m, what can you do? Also, he wanted to leave which is a massive red flag. If you're 29 and captain of the English and European champions, why would you want to play in Saudi? Didn't strike me as realistic, but I've used the funds to gobble up Jamal Musiala, Antonio Silva and Warren Zaïre-Emery for equally daft prices. Brought in Mehdi Taremi and Guido Rodríguez as free backups.

Kind of feels like it is all a bit silly already and wonder how long I'll persist with this save.

Nickosaur

@Herman Toothrot that's why I tend to avoid United saves - even when we're a mess it's too easy. Still impressive to do the PL and CL double in first season though, fair play.

Still haven't started a save yet. Currently deciding between doing a Brighton save to get going, or starting in the Dutch 2nd division as the start of a journeyman save.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I am always reluctant to manage in the PL. There is too much money so it’s not really difficult to get good players although the league is competitive.

Herman Toothrot

I am always reluctant to manage in the PL. There is too much money so it’s not really difficult to get good players although the league is competitive.
If it wasn't for the Saudi cheat code, I would only have had about £40m to spend without sales. I was kind of looking forward to the challenge, but not I've basically been gifted a spine of the very best wonderkids. I was considering not spending so much, but the squad were very unhappy with Bruno leaving. Greedy twat.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Saudi league stuff was silly in the beta and still seems like it is. Anytime they offered for my players I just placed a 60m asking price and they'd always go with it. Funded my budgets for 3-4 seasons.

Herman Toothrot

The Saudi league stuff was silly in the beta and still seems like it is. Anytime they offered for my players I just placed a 60m asking price and they'd always go with it. Funded my budgets for 3-4 seasons.
Yeah, I negotiated high each time, but it was immediately accepted. Suspect I could have got a lot more. Casemiro and Varane seem realistic, but the Bruno one is daft. They need to work on that.

Berbaclass

If it wasn't for the Saudi cheat code, I would only have had about £40m to spend without sales. I was kind of looking forward to the challenge, but not I've basically been gifted a spine of the very best wonderkids. I was considering not spending so much, but the squad were very unhappy with Bruno leaving. Greedy twat.
I just mean you can do an awful lot with £40 million.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
@Herman Toothrot that's why I tend to avoid United saves - even when we're a mess it's too easy. Still impressive to do the PL and CL double in first season though, fair play.

Still haven't started a save yet. Currently deciding between doing a Brighton save to get going, or starting in the Dutch 2nd division as the start of a journeyman save.
I tend to avoid them too because of my knowledge of real life Utd. I can never escape that certain things just wouldn’t happen. Whereas if I start from lower down I don’t know as much and it doesn’t take me out of the immersion.

Berbaclass

To not only not improve it but also make it worse takes some doing.
I think it’s about the same personally. I’ve started playing a lot more this week and haven’t noticed anything major.

Players do keep coming to me to whinging about how I’ve treated a teammate though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think it’s about the same personally. I’ve started playing a lot more this week and haven’t noticed anything major.

Players do keep coming to me to whinging about how I’ve treated a teammate though.
Even that’s crazy to me! I know I moan a lot about it but to not improve it even slightly in an entire year is baffling.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Even that’s crazy to me! I know I moan a lot about it but to not improve it even slightly in an entire year is baffling.
Wasn't that issue already a big thing in FM 22? I haven't played 23 but what you guys are describing doesn't sound new.

Berbaclass

I’m not particularly the best person to judge though as I just sort of ignore all of that stuff.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I avoid United because the players we have and I like in real life doesn't mesh with the teams I like to build. Tend to go for classic wingers, either a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2, but mainly keeping wingers wide. Doesn't mesh with Garnacho/Rashford unless I pair Rashford and Hojlund.

Also too easy to buy and sell whoever. My favourite method is starting unemployed, building a club, moving around and eventually settling at United 10 or so years down the line after I've won at least 2 other leagues (Spain and Germany my target), and then just wait for the spot to open. Last year's FM was the longest I've ever gone I think, was in the 2040's by the time I stopped the save. Think I had Sheffield Utd, Napoli, Madrid, a national team, Newcastle and then United. The year before I remember starting at Wolves and moving on to Fiorentina for a while.

This year I got in at Villareal, building a good group here though it's a tough league with the spending restrictions. Just got taken over by some rich investors so should have much better money to spend a few years in.

JPRouve

Scout
One fix that I haven't noticed in previous versions is that a player that is out of form and loses his place to an in-form player shouldn't refuse his fate as often as they do. Also a player that accepts your decision shouldn't turn around a few weeks later and be upset for the next 18 months because he doesn't trust you anymore.

The other is players that demand a contract extension, reject a reasonable offer and then refuse to talk to you for more than a year because you couldn't find a deal with his agent within the week that he gave you.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I avoid United because the players we have and I like in real life doesn't mesh with the teams I like to build. Tend to go for classic wingers, either a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2, but mainly keeping wingers wide. Doesn't mesh with Garnacho/Rashford unless I pair Rashford and Hojlund.

Also too easy to buy and sell whoever. My favourite method is starting unemployed, building a club, moving around and eventually settling at United 10 or so years down the line after I've won at least 2 other leagues (Spain and Germany my target), and then just wait for the spot to open. Last year's FM was the longest I've ever gone I think, was in the 2040's by the time I stopped the save. Think I had Sheffield Utd, Napoli, Madrid, a national team, Newcastle and then United.
That's exactly what I do. I take a struggling team and try to turn things around, I also only pick clubs that have actual competition in the short to mid term. And I don't stockpile players.

Last edited: