Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

MDFC Manager

Which player takes it for the World Cup semi? Or Final?

Or do we abandon it totally in the knockouts?

I think abandoning your stance in the knockouts would look even worse actually.

"Ah you will take the yellow in the group game but not the world cup final? Coward."

The player/ team that starts a game like that at a disadvantage and the governing body should he ashamed of themselves (spoiler, they won't be).
This is like saying the football is actually more important than all the other issues surrounding the world cup.

Bole Top

like I've said in that other thread, all talk. we will fight for opressed... until you threaten us with yellow card. so much for certain things being bigger than football.

shaky

Spineless cowards. The Iranian Captain literally risking his life to speak up for the Iranian protestors while Kane won't even risk a booking.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In the grand scheme of things players are pretty much powerless pawns.
Not when it comes to making potentially meaningful statements either by word or act. If Harry Kane decided to swap his official FIFA armband with a rainbow one at the last minute - as a feck you to both FIFA and the FA - that would be a powerful statement under the circumstances.

In any case, the very least one can expect from footballers is that they don't waffle on about things they aren't prepared to truly stand up for.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What was the official stance for not allowing the one love armband?

I can’t quite fathom how as a human species we still struggle to embrace inclusivity. Despite all the global suffering and wars and senseless blood shed, we continue to blindly grasp onto broken ideologies all for the sake of some pseudo self-righteous validation.
Disgusting move from FIFA. This World Cup is all but dead to me.

MDFC Manager

How's the English media reporting this? They've been quick with everything remotely negative so far. :wenger:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
No, that's actually confirmation that money is the most important :)
If you needed this as confirmation of that then I don't know what to say.

It's been obvious from day one.

I sympathise with the players who are being put in this position.

I want every team to wear the armband but understand the hesitancy that's all.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's of coure up to everyone personally how much they want to invest into a cause, but maybe they shouldn't have played themselves up as curageous defenders of human rights and equality if they end up backing down at the first hurdle.. Some of these players getting sent-off or missing games, largely meaningless groupstage games at that, would have sent a message louder than any other they could come up with and etched the farcical status of this WC into eternity, as "that one time backwards laws impacted the integrity of the competition".
And I’m sure the vast majority of fans would prefer it.

Its one thing talking out… it’s another thing completely to carry on talking/taking actions regardless of bullying threats. It’s either a cause you believe in or lip service. I’d prefer nothing over lip service.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Talksport said earlier on The Breakfast Show that there is a poster of Harry Maguire been put up in Qutar for the World Cup and he is wearing the armband apparently. They seemed to have missed that.

tomaldinho1

Spineless cowards. The Iranian Captain literally risking his life to speak up for the Iranian protestors while Kane won't even risk a booking.
Some part of me is hopeful he’ll still wear it but then I see Beckham et al. Chowing down on the hush money and realise there’s no chance.

SuperiorXI

Some part of me is hopeful he’ll still wear it but then I see Beckham et al. Chowing down on the hush money and realise there’s no chance.
It's an easy cop out for players that most will just accept, they can just say they're there for the football.

What really winds me up is they are quick enough to wear armbands etc when it's easy, but when it gets difficult it's a simple u-turn. It greatly degrades the messages they have sent in the past, and any future ones.

Roane

And what do you think then? I had same-sex 'relations' last week - would you support me being punished for that, if it came to it? And what punishment would be appropriate? A slap on the wrist? A bit of a beating? Some amputation? Death? Don't tell me what could hypothetically happen under laws of others - tell me where you would stand and where the line would be between 'acceptable punishment' and 'too far'.
None of my business is the truthful answer.

I live in the UK. UK has certain laws and rights. I signed up to these when I got my passport. I don't judge you individually and wouldn't like to be judged on my sexual preferences. Because basically I am no one in the scheme of things to judge anyone.

tomaldinho1

It's an easy cop out for players that most will just accept, they can just say they're there for the football.

What really winds me up is they are quick enough to wear armbands etc when it's easy, but when it gets difficult it's a simple u-turn. It greatly degrades the messages they have sent in the past, and any future ones.
I do actually think a number of them care but just aren’t independent/brave enough to say ‘no’. I get everyone dreams of a WC and they’d really be ostracised by the FA but there comes a time you have to stand up for what you believe in.

I always say footballers are one of the few groups of people who can actually live a relatively free life. They can all retire now, they won’t want for anything for generations, so they should be speaking up.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Kane comes out (not like that) with the FIFA approved armband, as he’s walking onto the pitch he removes it to reveal the OneLove armband. Gets his yellow (again, not like that), takes it off, continues the game as normal. Cameras have already broadcast it around the world. Every game after that it’ll be a question of ‘will he wear it again?’ So the armband is on everyone’s minds constantly. Once the yellow card expires he does it again. Back into the showers with the lads. Bish, bash, bosh. Big finish at the end. Job done.

Abizzz

Kane comes out (not like that) with the FIFA approved armband, as he’s walking onto the pitch he removes it to reveal the OneLove armband. Gets his yellow (again, not like that), takes it off, continues the game as normal. Cameras have already broadcast it around the world. Every game after that it’ll be a question of ‘will he wear it again?’ So the armband is on everyone’s minds constantly. Once the yellow card expires he does it again. Back into the showers with the lads. Bish, bash, bosh. Big finish at the end. Job done.
Yellow cards don't expire this wc.

Deery

Dreary
Taking the knee is going to be awkward, might as well bin that an all because it’s now meaningless.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
There are many different Islamic teachings. But I think it's exhibitionism that is punishable. It's not as straightforward as the bible, that says in Leviticus 20:13.

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

You'll not find something like this in the Quran. But you'll probably find the same and worse in some other Muslim scriptures, ones that aren't shared by most Muslims.
That's from the Old Testament. The OT is in essence an explanation of history, which puts the New Testament in context (how we came to this point). Christians aren't bound by all the statements in Leviticus (which was basically a ceremonial and moral guide for priests).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The UK LGBT+ community will be wondering if they're standing alone after all. The answer is yes, they are. The push from the FA is obviously coming from the very top (government) because it always is in political issues. Money talks. UK needs the oil money. We're all just Man City really, we just haven't realised it. Until now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Definitely but they'll make future statements of support because nobody will call them out for it.

Nero

Taking the knee is going to be awkward, might as well bin that an all because it’s now meaningless.
Yeah, the FA have just proven that the one love campaign was just a PR/marketing move that crumbled at the first sign of some pathetic threats. Then they think they can turn around and take the knee at the same time. It will just look off now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Just saw that news. He’s taking a huge risk and is showing a lot of guts saying it so publicly. Huge respect to him for it.

Meanwhile; Oh no, I might get a yellow card…