Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Absolutely nothing. It’s common in Middle Eastern countries for men to hold hands while walking in a cultural manner of friendship. Believe it or not, you’ll even see some resting their head in the lap of their friend. You won’t get executed.
:lol:

RC89

I don't get the outrage over Qatar. Sure they're not a perfect country but which country is?

Oh no, they don't like gays. But let's bring the World Cup to England. You know, the country responsible for the invasion of multiple countries and responsible for countless deaths because that's okay. All those criticising Qatar, I'm sure you'll also be calling for boycotts of any sporting activities in the US and England going forward too?

antk

I don't get the outrage over Qatar. Sure they're not a perfect country but which country is?

Oh no, they don't like gays. But let's bring the World Cup to England. You know, the country responsible for the invasion of multiple countries and responsible for countless deaths because that's okay. All those criticising Qatar, I'm sure you'll also be calling for boycotts of any sporting activities in the US and England going forward too?
As with other posters - why are you campaigning for less Qatar criticism instead of more (other countries) criticism?

ElBarto

Nobody has the right to claim the moral highground. If you don't like the beliefs, values and practices of Qatari society its very simple, don't go.

If you believe that a sovereign state has the right to rule over its populous in line with Islamic law, in a country where its population wants said laws then be tolerant and accepting of a different belief system that is normal in that part of the world and many others.

Lets not use the cloak of wokeism to deflect what's really at play here which is Islamophobia.

RC89

I don't know why people make this argument when it's such obvious, common sense defying nonsense.

If you visit someone's house and they're doing something morally reprehensible, like abusing other members of their family, you don't say silent just because you're a guest.

Nor does the "my house, my rules" argument stop them from facing consequences for the morally reprehensible behaviour from outside their home.
This argument only works if you witness the alleged offences taking place.

People here are talking about how Qatar is a shithole and they should boycott it etc and how people should be able to express their sexuality there which is different altogether.

If you went there and saw a gay being beaten, then your argument would apply. But instead what's being proposed here is going to the house of a vegetarian with a bucket of KFC because, they should accept that you like chicken.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As with other posters - why are you campaigning for less Qatar criticism instead of more (other countries) criticism?
It’s a very amusing trend where people defending Qatar find it almost impossible to argue unless they bring in the criticism of other countries. We all know why that is.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
People bringing up Islamophobia, do you think all Muslims are the same and think the same? Do you think there are no gay Muslims?

antk

Nobody has the right to claim the moral highground. If you don't like the beliefs, values and practices of Qatari society its very simple, don't go.

If you believe that a sovereign state has the right to rule over its populous in line with Islamic law, in a country where its population wants said laws then be tolerant and accepting of a different belief system that is normal in that part of the world any many others.

Lets not use the cloak of wokeism to deflect what's really at play here which is Islamophobia.
It's obvious the criticism is more vocal and mainstream this year due to latent arabophobia and islamophobia in western countries.

This doesn't mean the critics are wrong though.

jameyzane

Won't waste my time trying to argue with people who think every world culture should look like theirs because theirs has been truly fantastic. Waste of time. The same culture that has confused us about our sexes, religion, and identity more than any culture has in history. We are further back than we were in the middle ages despite all our seemingly advanced societies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Discrimination explained in detail at last.

NewYorkRed

Even if that was true, it's still unclear to me what your point is. Surely what we would take away from the situation is "we should have criticized Russia more" and not "we should criticize Qatar less"?
A)it is true
B) i agree, but you’re missing my point; people have more of an issue with this because its not a western country with western norms. I’m all for calling out injustice, but injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere. People from the West are outraged about this because its a country which has values opposed to ours. Just the other day I had someone from frickin Florida tell me how “effed up” Qatar was..like dude your governer is shipping migrants and using them as a political pawn.

Anyway I’ve voiced my opinion on this enough, gonna get back to talking about the football.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Won't waste my time trying to argue with people who think every world culture should look like theirs because theirs has been truly fantastic. Waste of time. The same culture that does has confused us about our sexes, religion, and identity more than any culture has in history. We are further back than we were in the middle ages despite all our seemingly advanced societies.

This is not about culture, its about human rights.

Pickle85

Easier to just be respectful than to be offended. What’s so crazy about being respectful of the host nations culture? You want them to change 100s of years of cultural history in the region to accommodate a select few? Just be respectful for a month and so and go back home and continue. It’s that simple.
Ew

RC89

How idealistic. The truth is, most people here in the West are conditioned and brainwashed in seeing them as so terrible because they're culturally un-european which makes everything they do that isn't in line with with european values so offensive. Did you pipe up about London 2012? The UK are only recently responsible for invading multiple countries which lead to thousands of deaths, rapes and even created new extremists.

You make your point which technically is fair, but it's only ever applied to deflect rather than to genuinely make an attempt of holding everyone equally accountable.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
A)it is true
B) i agree, but you’re missing my point; people have more of an issue with this because its not a western country with western norms. I’m all for calling out injustice, but injustice anywhere is injustice everwhere. People from the West are outraged about this because its a country which has values opposed to ours. Just the other day I had someone from frickin Florida tell me how “effed up” Qatar was..like dude your governer is shipping migrants and using them as a political pawn.

Anyway I’ve voiced my opinion on this enough, gonna get back to talking about the football.
So you are basically saying the call for human rights is racist. Amazing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Might be because all of this is built atop the global annoyance that its a non-football country that got the WC through massive corruption, and has subsequently forced league seasons to get interrupted; all to give a small island nation a bump in self-esteem. Throw in homophobic policies on top of that and you can see why the criticism is justified.

the_cliff

People bringing up Islamophobia, do you think all Muslims are the same and think the same? Do you think there are no gay Muslims?
There are gay Muslims. Of course there are. Just like there are Muslims that drink and eat pork.

Here's the thing though. To be a muslim you have to accept that being homosexual is a sin.....

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If you believe that a sovereign state has the right to rule over its populous in line with Islamic law, in a country where its population wants said laws then be tolerant and accepting of a different belief system that is normal in that part of the world any many others.

Yes, we do.

If we're not a scumbag homophobe we absolutely have the right to claim the moral highground over anyone who is. Just as I'd claim the moral high-ground over someone defending racism, or murder, or rape, or child abuse, or any other obviously morally wrong thing. Why on earth would we act like morally worse positions hold equal value?

Homophobia is wrong, people who defend it are wrong to do so, countries who defend it are wrong to do so. That black and white.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There are gay Muslims. Of course there are. Just like there are Muslims that drink and eat pork.

Here's the thing though. To be a muslim you have to accept that being homosexual is a sin.....
No you don’t.

Vapor trail

This is not about culture, its about human rights.
I also hope if this is the case an equal measure is also used to express dissatisfaction in the exploration of migrant workers alongside the curtailment of freedom of speech.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

If you believe that a sovereign state has the right to rule over its populous in line with Islamic law, in a country where its population wants said laws then be tolerant and accepting of a different belief system that is normal in that part of the world and many others.

Homophobia is wrong and should be challenged. I am morally superior to people who don’t believe this to be the case.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Here's another thing, we used to have to accept that oppression here in Ireland too. And we got it changed. And people claimed we only did it because we hated God. Yeah I know.

antk

How idealistic. The truth is, most people here in the West are conditioned and brainwashed in seeing them as so terrible because they're culturally un-european which makes everything they do that isn't in line with with european values so offensive. Did you pipe up about London 2012? The UK are only recently responsible for invading multiple countries which lead to thousands of deaths, rapes and even created new extremists.

You make your point which technically is fair, but it's only ever applied to deflect rather than to genuinely make an attempt of holding everyone equally accountable.
I'm not British and had little interest in London 2012, but social issues around Paris 2024 are a huge topic here in France and are discussed on the daily, in the same way as this thread.

In any case, purity tests are pointless. Social Rights activists in the US had little interest in US WW2 war crimes and that didn't mean they were hypocrites. Actually, we've created the concept of "intersectionality" to comprehend all societal issues are interlocked and you can fight for one and still fight for all.

NewYorkRed

So you are basically saying the call for human rights is racist. Amazing.
I’m calling a spade a spade, unlike you. Being selective on when you decide to make “the call for human rights” doesn’t exactly make you a humanitarian friend.

antk

But the Quran won't change.
This side discussion is ridiculous. Faith is not and has never been defined by one singular constraint. You don't get to decide who's actually a Muslim and who isn't.

RC89

Might be because all of this is built atop the global annoyance that its a non-football country that got the WC through massive corruption, and has subsequently forced league seasons to get interrupted; all to give a small island nation a bump in self-esteem. Throw in homophobic policies on top of that and you can see why the criticism is justified.
The truth is, it's blatant Islamophobes pretending to be the morality police. Countries have engaged in far far worse which literally cost the lives of thousands yet we'd be far more accepting if they were to host the world cup e.g. Russia. Russia got the world cup through the same corruption, not long ago annexed Crimea, stomped on Georgia and while there was some dissent, not anything to this level. Have a wonder why that is.

Vapor trail

It is. But this thread is specifically about the LGBT statement made in the UK today.
Partially, but human rights is plural and is equivocal to a multitude of issues outside the parameter of one interest. If the subject matter of moral obligations comes into question it has to be explored in its entirety.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But the Quran won't change.
that’s nice. As I said, People and religions do, just because Islam has not gone through the same reforms as other religions it doesn’t mean that individuals and groups within that haven’t.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’m calling a spade a spade, unlike you. Being selective on when you decide to make “the call for human rights” doesn’t exactly make you a humanitarian friend.
Not surprisingly you have no idea about me or what causes I am, actively involved in. Basically you have zero data to make such a claim about me or anyone else. At least now we know that you are not very scientific in what you post.

It's OK for you to think Qatar is grand, but people disagree with you. To think they have to have an agenda to do so is delusional.

the_cliff

This side discussion is ridiculous. Faith is not and has never been defined by one singular constraint. You don't get to decide who's actually a Muslim and who isn't.
I never said that, again I said there are gay muslims, muslims that drink alcohol and muslims that eat pork. In fact I know a few myself :lol: .

My point was it's hard to claim to be a Muslim and also state that being gay is not a sin when the Quran mentions it as being a clear transgression, that would mean you don't believe in the Quran and henceforth would not make you a Muslim, no ?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Partially, but human rights is plural and is equivocal to a multitude of issues outside the parameter of one interest. If the subject matter of moral obligations comes into question it has to be explored in its entirety.
Yes, but this thread is explicitly about the statement made by the UK government. There is a thread about protest and boycott in general.