Foreign secretary advice to LGBT fans.... Be respectful

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This argument only works if you witness the alleged offences taking place.

People here are talking about how Qatar is a shithole and they should boycott it etc and how people should be able to express their sexuality there which is different altogether.

If you went there and saw a gay being beaten, then your argument would apply. But instead what's being proposed here is going to the house of a vegetarian with a bucket of KFC because, they should accept that you like chicken.
Regarding the bold, no it isn't. Because being a vegetarian and eating chicken are two morally defensible positions. Homophobia isn't.

And we have seen the offences taking place. We've seen their anti-LGBT laws and we've seen the reports on the discrimination LGBT people face. The fact that we haven't personally seen homosexuals being beaten with our own eyes in Qatar doesn't magic reality away.

RC89

The bible didn't either but interpretations do.
There are entire passages that are excluded/included depending on the version of the Bible you look at. The Protestant Bible has 66 books v 73 in the Roman Catholic just as an example.

RC89

Regarding the bold, no it isn't. Because being a vegetarian and eating chicken are two morally defensible positions. Homophobia isn't.

And we have seen the offences taking place. We've seen their anti-LGBT laws and we've seen the reports on the discrimination LGBT people face. The fact that we haven't personally seen homsexuals being beaten with our own eyes in Qatar doesn't magic reality away.
According to your standard of morality. Billions would disagree, you aren't the adjudicator on this unfortunately.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There are entire passages that are excluded/included depending on the version of the Bible you look at. The Protestant Bible has 66 books v 73 in the Roman Catholic just as an example.
Yes but the text didn't change from homosexuality being illegal in Ireland to gay marriage becoming part of the constitution.

RC89

Yes but the text didn't change from homosexuality being illegal in Ireland to gay marriage becoming part of the constitution.
Ah apologies, I misinterpreted your point.

antk

According to your standard of morality. Billions would disagree, you aren't the adjudicator on this unfortunately.
We've now reached the point of the discussion where you're suggesting that you can't criticize things because other people disagree. I'm out.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I never said that, again I said there are gay muslims, muslims that drink alcohol and muslims that eat pork. In fact I know a few myself :lol: .

My point was it's hard to claim to be a Muslim and also state that being gay is not a sin when the Quran mentions it as being a clear transgression, that would mean you don't believe in the Quran and henceforth would not make you a Muslim, no ?
Ireland used to be extremely backwards and balls deep in catholicism BS. We have had a major shift in attitudes and I think now are a pretty modern country. Things can change and people change along with it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The truth is, it's blatant Islamophobes pretending to be the morality police. Countries have engaged in far far worse which literally cost the lives of thousands yet we'd be far more accepting if they were to host the world cup e.g. Russia. Russia got the world cup through the same corruption, not long ago annexed Crimea, stomped on Georgia and while there was some dissent, not anything to this level. Have a wonder why that is.
Can you point to the blatant islamophobia?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And in this case my standard of morality is correct. Homophobia is wrong. The fact that other people think otherwise doesn't change that. Nor do we have to pretend to have any respect whatsoever for their position. Just as we wouldn't respect people defending racism, rape, child abuse or anything else we hold to be morally wrong.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The truth is, it's blatant Islamophobes pretending to be the morality police. Countries have engaged in far far worse which literally cost the lives of thousands yet we'd be far more accepting if they were to host the world cup e.g. Russia. Russia got the world cup through the same corruption, not long ago annexed Crimea, stomped on Georgia and while there was some dissent, not anything to this level. Have a wonder why that is.
That’s a rich statement, ‘morality police.’ Very timely.

Can’t wait til the fairy tales run their course

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Being against anti-gay policies is not Islamophobia. Its simply a normal criticism that would be happening today in any country, including Russia as well if the discourse of the topic was as far along in 2018 as it is in the present. Also, Russia would obviously not come anywhere near hosting a WC today for obvious reasons.

The Russia WC, despite also being extremely corrupt in how it was awarded, was also done in the summer, not in winter, which is another massive problem with Qatar.

Thom Merrilin

Since when is it controversial to suggest that countries should treat gay folks the same as not gay folks? Has nothing to do with Islamophobia in my view.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Since when is it controversial to suggest that countries should treat gay folks the same as not gay folks? Has nothing to do with Islamophobia in my view.
Of course not, there has been decades of gay rights activism all across the globe. In my opinion there is something quite sinister in some of the calls of Islamophobia to counter calls for human rights.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Of course not, there has been decades of gay rights activism all across the globe. In my opinion there is something quite sinister in some of the calls of Islamophobia to counter calls for human rights.
Absolutely.

ElBarto

Being against anti-gay policies is not Islamophobia. Its simply a normal criticism that would be happening today in any country, including Russia as well if the discourse of the topic was as far along in 2018 as it is in the present. Also, Russia would obviously not come anywhere near hosting a WC today for obvious reasons.

The Russia WC, despite also being extremely corrupt in how it was awarded, was also done in the summer, not in winter, which is another massive problem with Qatar.
Yes, huge problem that, Qatar obviously elected to have hot weather all year round and chose to host it in Nov/Dec out of spite for PSG not winning the CL to inconvenience everybody else.

UpWithRivers

Its like holding an international event in Ku Klux Klan bar and then tell black people to be respective of other people's beliefs. You shouldn't hold an event of you are not open to the beliefs of the organization you are holding the event for. Football is pro women, pro LGBQT, against racism etc. Is it not? You cant hold an event if you morally object to these beliefs and say we will torture our own people for it but for the cash we will allow it but just behave. Its just weird and wrong. You want to be all white with no black people then go find a little place somewhere but dont go inviting black people. If you are homophobic I dont agree with you but then fine. Carve out a nice niche in the world but stop holding events that are pro gay people and have a lot of gay fans. You weirdos. Whats next? World cup in Iran and all women to wear Burkas and shut the fk up in respect of their culture?

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not a big fan of Qatar in fact it's quite the contrary but I don't think this is a big deal.

Tarrou

respect is the wrong word, it's about awareness

if you travel there you don't have to respect their homophobic laws and history, but you should be aware of the laws so you don't get yourself in trouble

Siorac

LGBT issues were widely reported around the Russia WC too btw.
Yeah, fecking hell, I felt like I was in the twilight zone reading @RC89 going on about Russia. There were the same calls for boycott over LGBTQ rights, the massive issues with blatant racism in Russian stadiums, and of course the Ukrainian situation. Human rights orgs were every bit as critical as they are now.

In the end, it all amounted to absolutely nothing, just as it will this time because money talks - but the idea that the Russian World Cup wasn't under intense scrutiny is just straight-up false.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That WC and this upcoming one has been a grim one-two punch for me as someone LGBT.
Ah its a disgrace. The corruption has always been there but if there is any point beyond football to a world cup it is progress, so to 'reward' undemocratic oppressive regimes like Russia and Qatar with the WC is sickening. My personal hurt can't be comparable to yours but I am really annoyed that something I loved so much is now tainted beyond me having any interest in it other than to voice how vile the whole thing is.

And while other posters point to whataboutery and have been rightfully dismissed, this world cup is so fecked up on so many levels that yes, maybe people who previously things slide are now vocal in dissent, thankfully.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah, fecking hell, I felt like I was in the twilight zone reading @RC89 going on about Russia. There were the same calls for boycott over LGBTQ rights, the massive issues with blatant racism in Russian stadiums, and of course the Ukrainian situation. Human rights orgs were every bit as critical as they are now.

In the end, it all amounted to absolutely nothing, just as it will this time because money talks - but the idea that the Russian World Cup wasn't under intense scrutiny is just straight-up false.
Yep. Depressingly spot on.

Thom Merrilin

Yes I agree, hiding behind religion as a way to invalidate criticism of one's beliefs is a problem all over the world.

ElBarto

Ah its just asking victims of oppression to be respectful to the oppressor is quite hard to stomach for lots of people I imagine.
That's red top sensationalism at its finest, well done.

It's asking visitors of a sovereign state to respect their laws, traditions and customs. don't like it, don't go, simples.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

It's asking visitors of a sovereign state to respect their laws, traditions and customs. don't like it, don't go, simples.
Well done yourself. It's asking people to respect human rights violations, not Christmas trees or a floral crowns for midsummer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ah its a disgrace. The corruption has always been there but if there is any point beyond football to a world cup it is progress, so to 'reward' undemocratic oppressive regimes like Russia and Qatar with the WC is sickening. My personal hurt can't be comparable to yours but I am really annoyed that something I loved so much is now tainted beyond me having any interest in it other than to voice how vile the whole thing is.

And while other posters point to whataboutery and have been rightfully dismissed, this world cup is so fecked up on so many levels that yes, maybe people who previously things slide are now vocal in dissent, thankfully.
That shouldn't be the way to do it, and it's not like there no precedence, we've had world cups in franco's Spain (well it was awards when he was still in power) Mexico twice which at the time was in no way democratic and the fascist Italy for gods sake and that's going by our western viewpoint so the outrage seems rather selective.

Don't get me wrong , there's a ton to be upset about like how they've supposedly treated the workers, the selection progress and how they've broke a hundred year precedent to move the world cup to fall but railing on how Qatar is undemocratic and such and such seems counter intuitive.

Manncunian

Isn’t it extremely lucky for LGBT people that they can “hide” it from public view. Do you not see the problem here? What if this wasn’t possible? Like if their skin colour/appearance gave them away?

Imagine if these backward views of Qatar were held towards women or to any black/white person. What would those defending the medieval regimes in these countries be saying then?

Why is homophobia now accepted and “respected” because of a religion? Do we say the same of racism? If a religion says racism is ok, we have to respect it? Give me a break ffs. Is anyone aware of how absurd that is?

Let me remind people that homosexuality is an innate characteristic. It isn’t a choice and cannot be changed. Religion is NOT innate and is certainly a choice and it is a belief. Just as political beliefs are widely criticised, religious beliefs should be no different. This whole shut up and put up just because it’s religion is becoming tedious.

How can we ever have an adult discussion about discrimination and human rights issues in these countries if we are to just sit here and accept it because “religion”?!

“Don’t like it, don’t go” is deeply insulting to anyone who is part of one of the persecuted groups. And is almost always said by people who aren’t in said category.

This is definitely on FIFA and it should never have been held here. I, for one, would absolutely not attend this World Cup in Qatar because their entire culture is offensive to anyone who is anti discrimination. Simply put, their beliefs are wrong and dangerous. And don’t tell me they can’t be wrong because it says so in a piece of fictional text (prove to me it’s not fictional).

We are never going to get anywhere where this is concerned, since people pussy foot around the issue because they’re scared of being branded Islamophobic, as has happened multiple times in this thread. It isn’t just this one religion either that has problems where this is concerned, almost each and every one is as bad as each other.

It’s just upsetting in the extreme how people born a certain way are being told to suppress what they are in order to appease a backwards set of beliefs. As I said, thank god they have the ability to go incognito.

Reactions: Raoul

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not a big fan of Qatar in fact it's quite the contrary but I don't think this is a big deal.
Neither do I. This is 100% on FIFA to choose to have a world event in a region of the world that is decades at least behind on human rights. They're also far from the only nation to hold those views, Russia, parts of Africa, there's plenty of places where being gay is seen as a sin, where you risk getting beaten to death for displaying gay behavior in public. So this has nothing to do with Islam, it has to do with intolerance.

With that said, the last thing I'd do is go over there and try to impose my views on them. I just wouldn't go and don't think I'll ever be interested in going. It's just the height of stupidity to try and make a big deal out of this as if you're going to change anything about their viewpoint in a sovereign nation. Good luck with that. Just get on with it, it's a month-long thing. If you want to be gay in Qatar, go for it but don't cry foul when you end up in trouble because of it. You knew what you were getting into, and no amount of rainbow-colored armbands are going to change a thing about that.
Well done yourself. It's asking people to respect human rights violations, not Christmas trees or a floral crowns for midsummer.
And what's your actual solution now that the world cup is a month away? You're not changing anything. Sit down and get on with it. You don't have to watch it.

redcucumber

Homophobia isn't a tradition or custom worth respecting, nor is any law that criminalises homosexuality.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Isn’t it extremely lucky for LGBT people that they can “hide” it from public view. Do you not see the problem here? What if this wasn’t possible? Like if their skin colour/appearance gave them away?

Imagine if these backward views of Qatar were held towards women or to any black/white person. What would those defending the medieval regimes in these countries be saying then?

Why is homophobia now accepted and “respected” because of a religion? Do we say the same of racism? If a religion says racism is ok, we have to respect it? Give me a break ffs. Is anyone aware of how absurd that is?

Let me remind people that homosexuality is an innate characteristic. It isn’t a choice and cannot be changed. Religion is NOT innate and is certainly a choice and it is a belief. Just as political beliefs are widely criticised, religious beliefs should be no different. This whole shut up and put up just because it’s religion is becoming tedious.

How can we ever have an adult discussion about discrimination and human rights issues in these countries if we are to just sit here and accept it because “religion”?!

“Don’t like it, don’t go” is deeply insulting to anyone who is part of one of the persecuted groups. And is almost always said by people who aren’t in said category.

This is definitely on FIFA and it should never have been held here. I, for one, would absolutely not attend this World Cup in Qatar because their entire culture is offensive to anyone who is anti discrimination. Simply put, their beliefs are wrong and dangerous. And don’t tell me they can’t be wrong because it says so in a piece of fictional text (prove to me it’s not fictional).

We are never going to get anywhere where this is concerned, since people pussy foot around the issue because they’re scared of being branded Islamophobic, as has happened multiple times in this thread.

It’s just upsetting in the extreme how people born a certain way are being told to suppress what they are in order to appease a backwards set of beliefs. As I said, thank god they have the ability to go incognito.
Wish I could like a post. Well stated.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

But in this case their laws are reprehensible and don't deserve respect. Which is exactly why he is wrong to ask LGBT people to respect them.

He should have advised them to be careful, not respectful. And he first should have stated his hope that Qatar would be respectful of their LGBT visitors, who actually deserve respect.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
That shouldn't be the way to do it, and it's not like there no precedence, we've had world cups in franco's Spain (well it was awards when he was still in power) Mexico twice which at the time was in no way democratic and the fascist Italy for gods sake and that's going by our western viewpoint so the outrage seems rather selective.

Don't get me wrong , there's a ton to be upset about like how they've supposedly treated the workers, the selection progress and how they've broke a hundred year precedent to move the world cup to fall but railing on how Qatar is undemocratic and such and such seems counter intuitive.
Progess doesn't work thaf way. It's about what can be better moving forward, not using how shit we were in the past as a metric.

Personally I think elections, as flawed as they are are worth causing a fuss over. Thaf and discrimination.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ah its just asking victims of oppression to be respectful to the oppressor is quite hard to stomach for lots of people I imagine.
So we shouldn't only award world cups to countries that recognized same sex marriage which is less than a third of the world, don't make it too sensational .

redcucumber

And what's your actual solution now that the world cup is a month away? You're not changing anything. Sit down and get on with it. You don't have to watch it.
What on earth are you on about? It's a topic absolutely well worthy of discussion, as is obvious through the range of views voiced within this thread. The fella you're addressing has engaged in the debate respectfully throughout. Or should everyone that doesn't agree with you shut up?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So I can't fundamentally disagree with something unless I have the material ability to provide an agreeable alternative?

Don't be absurd.