France's Presidential elections April 2022

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I hope you're right, but you are sounding very optimistic. Macron hasn't polled over 60 since March 20th. The trend is favouring MLP.

And these polls are suggesting that 24 % of Melenchon's voters would vote for Le Pen in the second round, compared to only 7 % of them in 2017. And among Pecresse's votes, it's almost a 50/50 share.

Five years ago it was touch and go whether Macron would even make the second round.
Mélenchon hates Le Pen so his followers will do as he says.

The added factor has yet to played. After the first round which I assume Macron and Le Pen will be face to face on a TV debate. Macron will wipe the floor with Le Pen. She is very dim and once again will be shown that she's not fit for office. She was humiliated last time.

I still have faith that the French electorate are not as gullible as the British.
Anyone but Macron will be a disaster for France. Fingers crossed.

SirAF

Ageist
Five years ago it was touch and go whether Macron would even make the second round.

The added factor has yet to played. After the first round which I assume Macron and Le Pen will be face to face on a TV debate. Macron will wipe the floor with Le Pen. She is very dim and once again will be shown that she's not fit for office. She was humiliated last time.

I still have faith that the French electorate are not as gullible as the British.
Let’s bloody hope you are right, I’m bricking this!

Pintu

Exit poll according to Belgian "La Libre" Macron and far-right candidate Le Pen tied at 24% and heading to the runoff.

Far-left candidate Melenchon gets 19 % and is eliminated tonight.

Classical Mechanic

It seems to be an inversion of British politics where the older cohorts of voters keep the UK on the right. Yougov has 56% of the 18-24 cohort in France supporting Le Pen! I believe there was a similar dynamic in Poland with a lot of youth support for the right wing populist party.

Pintu

It seems to be an inversion of British politics where the older cohorts of voters keep the UK on the right. Yougov has 56% of the 18-24 cohort in France supporting Le Pen! I believe there was a similar dynamic in Poland with a lot of youth support for the right wing populist party.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Exit poll according to Belgian "La Libre" Macron and far-right candidate Le Pen tied at 24% and heading to the runoff.

Far-left candidate Melenchon gets 19 % and is eliminated tonight.

Actual exit poll? I thought they didn't allow any exit polls until voting has stopped?

Paul the Wolf

I would say the young favour Mélenchon (In the UK and France both seem to like 70+ year old Marxists) and hate the Tories (Pécresse). The difference between the UK and France would be the influence. Here the influence would mainly come from social media whereas in the UK the right wing press play a big part and I doubt youngsters read it. In the second round if Mélenchon says vote Macron, most of his followers will.

Pintu

Actual exit poll? I thought they didn't allow any exit polls until voting has stopped?
I couldn't answer that. What's not allowed is publishing results in France. But the Press in Belguim doesn't care about that.

But I know that nowadays Polling institutes work with more developed methods. They use data science and machine learning, with specially developed algorithms. You can feed the algorithm actual results from representative polling stations (the ones that close early and already started counting) and are deemed representative. Then the algorithm will make accurate projections based on all the variables.

Whatever result we are given at 20h I think we should trust completely. If this is the same I don't know.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Pintu

I didn't expect that, this isn't even the big cities that just closed 2 minutes ago.
If it is this method, then the big cities are already included in the projection.

I couldn't answer that. What's not allowed is publishing results in France. But the Press in Belguim doesn't care about that.

But I know that nowadays Polling institutes work with more developed methods. They use data science and machine learning, with specially developed algorithms. You can feed the algorithm actual results from representative polling stations (the ones that close early and already started counting) and are deemed representative. Then the algorithm will make accurate projections based on all the variables.

Whatever result we are given at 20h I think we should trust completely. If this is the same I don't know.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Would I be correct to assume that’s a lot more positive for Macron than was expected?

JPRouve

Scout
Would I be correct to assume that’s a lot more positive for Macron than was expected?
Not a lot more but it's on the better than expected side of things. Almost 30% for a candidate in France and the current president, it's probably one of the best exit polls in many elections.

Paul the Wolf

Result up for my village (small village!)

Marine LE PEN24,18%103
Emmanuel MACRON18,78%80
Jean-Luc MÉLENCHON17,61%75
Valérie PÉCRESSE11,50%49
Jean LASSALLE10,80%46
Éric ZEMMOUR5,87%25
Fabien ROUSSEL3,76%16
Yannick JADOT1,88%8
Nathalie ARTHAUD1,64%7
Anne HIDALGO1,64%7
Nicolas DUPONT-AIGNAN1,41%6
Philippe POUTOU0,94%4

Rajma

Marine LE PEN24,18%103
Emmanuel MACRON18,78%80
Valérie PÉCRESSE11,50%49
Jean LASSALLE10,80%46
Éric ZEMMOUR5,87%25
Fabien ROUSSEL3,76%16
Yannick JADOT1,88%8
Nathalie ARTHAUD1,64%7
Anne HIDALGO1,64%7
Philippe POUTOU0,94%4
Move quick!

coolredwine

lameredboots
genuinely surprised at melenchon gathering 20% of the first round votes. That's more than 2017 if I am not wrong. His guys now just need to turn up next Sunday.

JPRouve

Scout
The mayor's a racist xenophobe but he thinks someone from the next village is an immigrant. He's retiring soon.
To be fair it's typical. The nearest village or town is always populated by savages that can't be trusted.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Marine LE PEN24,18%103
Emmanuel MACRON18,78%80
Valérie PÉCRESSE11,50%49
Jean LASSALLE10,80%46
Éric ZEMMOUR5,87%25
Fabien ROUSSEL3,76%16
Yannick JADOT1,88%8
Nathalie ARTHAUD1,64%7
Anne HIDALGO1,64%7
Philippe POUTOU0,94%4
Fair result? Does it capture the actuality of the village?

Charlie Foley

To be fair it's typical. The nearest village or town is always populated by savages that can't be trusted.
For a second I read this literally, in that you knew where Paul lived and knew the nearest village was actually a shithole :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
For a second I read this literally, in that you knew where Paul lived and knew the nearest village was actually a shithole :lol:
:lol:

It's a french rural reality, you are a shithole from the eyes of your neighbour. And the weirdest thing is that you are a local if you are a regular at the local Bar PMU or market regardless of your origin.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
:lol:

It's a french rural reality, you are a shithole from the eyes of your neighbour. And the weirdest thing is that you are a local if you are a regular at the local Bar PMU or market regardless of your origin.
It's a rural reality I think. The parochialism here is insane too.

Pintu

3 left candidates + Tory Pecresse all for Macron.

So far only Zemmour (7%) supported Le Pen. I suspected Dupont-Aignan will do the same.

Melenchon speaking now, his lieutenants already said on tv ("Not a single voice can go to the far right")