Franck Kessie, anyone?

OleGunnar20

We ain't going for shit until we find out who the next manager is, no matter if the player costs 2 mil or 100 mil.
Might be right. I think it's more pegged to outgoings - Martial / Lingard / VDB go and somebody comes in I reckon.

We can't keep buying for managers playstyles anyway, that's backwards. Build the squad with a cohesive vision and get the manager in who suits that vision. Saves the tri-annual 'Rebuild'.

GledTheRed

Free transfers should be approached with caution, they are far from 'free' and if any decent have usually fecked their club over to line their pockets.

MadMike

They'll never bloody learn, will they.

See you at the next Barca implosion in 5 years!
Eh? Signing players on a free certainly seems like learning to me. 160k pw is not much these days, especially for a free agent.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Eh? Signing players on a free certainly seems like learning to me. 160k pw is not much these days, especially for a free agent.
For some reason I read it as after tax... still, think their priority should be balancing their books rather than continue to inflate.

Ekeke

I was going to say it doesnt seem that bad a move for Barcelona... Then I remembered that the one thing they dont need is a central midfielder who likes to be on the ball and join the attack.

Thats essentially all they have

Add to that their high profile signings havent tended to do well and Kessie would be one of them if they wanted to sign him and he had a 4 year deal or something. So yeah...

Now I suspect that in a year they'll try and sell him for a profit

Stadjer

If it doesnt work out they could likely sell him to an English club for 20m and they would still have made a profit. I do think Kessie is a good player, wouldnt mind it if United showed interest in him.

Ekeke

If it doesnt work out they could likely sell him to an English club for 20m and they would still have made a profit. I do think Kessie is a good player, wouldnt mind it if United showed interest in him.
Less than 15 games for Barcelona and then sold to Newcastle next summer

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Classic United, have a gaping hole in midfield and yet watch Kessie sign for Barca for free and Newcastle grab Guimaraes for 32m. Probably would've been my #1 and 2 options this summer...

Kamara, Brozović and Bennacer left for good priced or free alternatives i guess...

passing-wind

Also consider commissions to the agents / players. Romano stated beforehand that often time free transfers can cost a club in the region of 10-50 million (excluding wages) in commissions for players as the agents merely negotiate the fee the buying club would have had to pay the selling club as some type of leverage.

MadMike

Also consider commissions to the agents / players. Romano stated beforehand that often time free transfers can cost a club in the region of 10-50 million (excluding wages) in commissions for players as the agents merely negotiate the fee the buying club would have had to pay the selling club as some type of leverage.
And agents don't get fees when one of their players is bought for money? Didn't we pay Mendes and Raiola boat loads of money for the players they brought to us?

I would expect Kessie to be on the lower end of that if Barca are interested. They are known to not be big spenders at the moment. This deal would make total sense for them. Because even if the they end up paying 20-25m in total (fees + salary) for him for one year, it's practically risk free for them. He either does well and immediately becomes a +50m player and an important member of the squad (therefore a bargain). Or he ends up being a mediocre one and he gets sold next year for 20-25m to a club like Everton or Newcastle, so Barca recoup pretty much all the money and get a year of service for free. The only real risk is if he gets any long term injuries, a risk you have with any player though.

This is a financially prudent move for them, if the rumours are true that is.

Last edited:

romufc

Free transfers should be approached with caution, they are far from 'free' and if any decent have usually fecked their club over to line their pockets.
Agreed. History tells you its not always "free", look at Ramsey, Rabiot who were free transfers but demanded the "fee" to be paid to them in signing on fee and wages.

A free transfer literally just cuts out the negotiations between club to just the player. Players use it to their advantage to get a massive salary and agents filling pockets.

youmeletsfly

Might be right. I think it's more pegged to outgoings - Martial / Lingard / VDB go and somebody comes in I reckon.

We can't keep buying for managers playstyles anyway, that's backwards. Build the squad with a cohesive vision and get the manager in who suits that vision. Saves the tri-annual 'Rebuild'.
You're right, but also buying in January at a premium when not knowing the other manager might be a waste of money. Maybe Ralf will build a squad with a cohesive vision.

OleGunnar20

You're right, but also buying in January at a premium when not knowing the other manager might be a waste of money. Maybe Ralf will build a squad with a cohesive vision.
Agreed. Hopefully he does / is allowed to, as that seems to be essentially what he's built his career on, rather than straight up managerial ability.

Swordsman

Classic United, have a gaping hole in midfield and yet watch Kessie sign for Barca for free and Newcastle grab Guimaraes for 32m. Probably would've been my #1 and 2 options this summer...

Kamara, Brozović and Bennacer left for good priced or free alternatives i guess...
Has it been confirmed Kessie going to Barca ? I also think he will be a great choice for us if we play 4-2-3-1.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Has it been confirmed Kessie going to Barca ? I also think he will be a great choice for us if we play 4-2-3-1.
it seems Barca rejected due to the asking wages.
He wants 16-18m/year
meaning 302k-346k €/week

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That’s crazy money. I want him and I think he could eventually be a star in the PL but the truth is for his first deal in a harder new league that’s nearly double what he should be getting on all known form. Reckon that’ll scare a lot of good clubs off hin.

TheRedHearted

That’s crazy money. I want him and I think he could eventually be a star in the PL but the truth is for his first deal in a harder new league that’s nearly double what he should be getting on all known form. Reckon that’ll scare a lot of good clubs off hin.
I’d imagine it’s just a starting point for negotiation. Do think Newcastle and us would bite for him

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d imagine it’s just a starting point for negotiation. Do think Newcastle and us would bite for him
I would put him on current Pogba wages (if Pogba leaves) and that’ll be the best he’ll get. I think Kessie would suit us better than Pogs as a box to box as he’s more physical and hardworking while still capable of running play and he hasn’t peaked yet.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I would put him on current Pogba wages (if Pogba leaves) and that’ll be the best he’ll get. I think Kessie would suit us better than Pogs as a box to box as he’s more physical and hardworking while still capable of running play and he hasn’t peaked yet.
I quite like him but he's nowhere near as good as Pogba, would be madness to pay him such an outlier wage even if he is on a free.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’ve not really seen much of him… the game I did see him in and he impressed me was the game against us at old Trafford. He doesn’t seem like the type of midfielder we need..: he seems more like box to box rather then someone who will sit deep and dictate the tempo. Good player but I wouldn’t waste money on another midfielder that probably won’t start because he won’t fit.

Abraxas

Wouldn't be surprised if those figures are accurate. We know how the game works, players run down contracts to try and find a way for the transfer fee to appear in their pay packet. If there is some competition for his signature then it only helps his cause.

Whether it is relative value or not really depends on his quality, but the problem is if he's so so it doesn't give much room for negotiation on the next contract and makes him hard to shift. So it is somewhat limiting and that's a mistake we make a lot with wages.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Wouldn't be surprised if those figures are accurate. We know how the game works, players run down contracts to try and find a way for the transfer fee to appear in their pay packet. If there is some competition for his signature then it only helps his cause.

Whether it is relative value or not really depends on his quality, but the problem is if he's so so it doesn't give much room for negotiation on the next contract and makes him hard to shift. So it is somewhat limiting and that's a mistake we make a lot with wages.
It is simple. Just don't offer him that kind of salary for his service. Rabiot and Ramsey for Juventus are good example already.

Abraxas

It is simple. Just don't offer him that kind of salary for his service. Rabiot and Ramsey for Juventus are good example already.
I'm not saying we should, I'm saying that's the game these free agents will play and he will certainly end up on more than he otherwise would. It represents value to a club that procures his services even if his wage is inflated. 320k might be a bit OTT, though.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not saying we should, I'm saying that's the game these free agents will play and he will certainly end up on more than he otherwise would. It represents value to a club that procures his services even if his wage is inflated. 320k might be a bit OTT, though.
In a way yes. But like you said if the said player can't fit in you are stuck with an "asset" that is hard to move on, and may unsettle the dressing room with his high wages too. so it is a double edged sword. Lots of free players available this summer and that is the trend.

Volksie316

He is a fantastic player and likely wont cost an insane amount, so that definitely rules us out!

reddevilz007

Tchouameni and Kessie would be a good midfield overhaul this summer.
Let Pogba leave, and get rid of Matic

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We never seem to pick up players on a free. Is he genuine quality though? Looked really good against us but that's not much to by.

eselfor

He is a grafter like McT, with limited passing range. He's no better than Fred. We need more than that.

NoPace

I was going to say it doesnt seem that bad a move for Barcelona... Then I remembered that the one thing they dont need is a central midfielder who likes to be on the ball and join the attack.

Thats essentially all they have

Add to that their high profile signings havent tended to do well and Kessie would be one of them if they wanted to sign him and he had a 4 year deal or something. So yeah...

Now I suspect that in a year they'll try and sell him for a profit
I'm thinking they'd be trying to convert him into being their 6 since Nico hasn't gotten time there.

#9/Aubameyang or Depay/Gavi
Ferran/Adama/Winger/Gavi
Pedri/DeJong/Gavi/Nico
Kessie/Busquets

Would be my guess. No first XI spot for Gavi, but he can be used in various front positions as an alternative (tucked in winger or false 9) off the bench, and he's still only 17 so probably like 20 starts and 30 sub apperances is enough for now to not ruin him.

A new winger or Dembele stays. Then add Christensen or another CB and probably a new fullback on each side.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I'm thinking they'd be trying to convert him into being their 6 since Nico hasn't gotten time there.

Ferran/Adama/Winger/Gavi
Pedri/DeJong/Gavi/Nico
Kessie/Busquets

Would be my guess. No first XI spot for Gavi, but he can be used in various front positions as an alternative (tucked in winger or false 9) off the bench, and he's still only 17 so probably like 20 starts and 30 sub apperances is enough for now to not ruin him.

A new winger or Dembele stays. Then add Christensen or another CB and probably a new fullback on each side.
De Jong is a #6, Barcelona aren't using him correctly

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Probably better than what we have but not a giant upgrade. Not enough to take us to where we need to get to.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo

Ferran/Adama/Winger/Gavi
Pedri/DeJong/Gavi/Nico
Kessie/Busquets

Xavi wants to have 6 high-level midfielders. The season is long and there will be injuries.

Gavi is performing at a very high level, better than De Jong. Right now he is a starter at Barcelona, without discussion.

I don't know which player Xavi has planned to replace Busquets. The normal thing would be De Jong or Nico.
Lately there is talk of interest in Tchouameni, for my fake news. And Gravenberch, I don't know if he plays 6 or 8. Having the players that the team has right now the money should be for other positions.

Gavi/Kessie - Busquets /De Jong - Pedri/Nico

Some of them can change positions, so there is no problem to fit them.

Judas

Open to offers
For Franck Kessie? That's mental. No one is paying him that sort of money, and rightfully so.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Xavi wants to have 6 high-level midfielders. The season is long and there will be injuries.

Gavi is performing at a very high level, better than De Jong. Right now he is a starter at Barcelona, without discussion.

I don't know which player Xavi has planned to replace Busquets. The normal thing would be De Jong or Nico.
Lately there is talk of interest in Tchouameni, for my fake news. And Gravenberch, I don't know if he plays 6 or 8. Having the players that the team has right now the money should be for other positions.

Gavi/Kessie - Busquets /De Jong - Pedri/Nico

Some of them can change positions, so there is no problem to fit them.
Kessie makes zero sense for Barcelona. Zero. Only reason they're even interested is because he's cheap for a player of his caliber - which still doesn't mean he's cheap though, because he's gonna cost upwards of 10M a year. Might as well spend 15/20 but get a player the club actually needs, if you ask me

Tchouameni would be fantastic business for Barcelona. Kessie would be Rabiot to Juve...expensive, disappointing, barely plays even because he's behind a whole bunch of better players...does not really have the skillset to fit into their football either