Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
  • Despite playing less than half their league matches over 5 years, would you say he was a core player for Shakhtar? I said he was not.
He played almost every match he was available for. He missed a few games here and there for injury and suspension, but most obviously he missed pretty much an entire season because of a doping ban. Otherwise he played the vast majority of their games.

kundalini

Only one player in the whole squad that can hold his head up in Scott. Fred could be all the things that people say he is but it still needs context. The rest hasn't turned to shit for no good reason and if it was all on Fred and everyone else was firing fine, but it isn't. Too easy to say it's just the players and watch this space, watch Harry and AWB start going the other way too.
I think the point you have made numerous times about Fred, that he should be given time to adapt, before making a final assessment, is correct. The list of exceptional performers who had a difficult first season in a new country, is a long one. The change of manager, especially his decision to opt for continuity in midfield, selecting Matic, Herrera and Pogba, game after game, made life even more difficult for Fred.

Where I disagree with some of your previous posts is a factual point. Here are Fred's appearances last season: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fred/leistungsdaten/spieler/191614/plus/0?saison=2018 He made 13 starts in the PL, 6 in the CL and one in the FA Cup, as well as 4 sub appearances in the PL and one in the EFL Cup. Transfermarkt estimate he got 1593 mins in total last season.

Fred possesses some talent, as do all our first team squad. I can understand why we were interested in Fred, as his skill-set is different to that of our other midfielders, especially given Pogba had persuaded Mourinho to use him higher up the pitch. The fee seemed high at the time and has turned out to be ridiculous. His age, added to the salary he is being paid and the transfer fee, indicated a regular starter rather than a back-up player. Criticism of the transfer, the scouting, is justified.

If you ignore the fee, I think Fred is a reasonable 4th choice central midfielder for a two player central midfield. He performed well against PSG away and Barcelona home. In the PL there were times when he looked out of his depth but other games in which he did a decent job of getting on the ball and developing the play. Like most of United's current squad, he needs to tighten up a few elements of his game, and increase the number of good moments. My track-record at predicting which players will develop their game isn't great. I tend to believe younger players are more likely to improve but that may be too simplistic.

Being in the team for EL and domestic Cup competitions, rather than the PL side, isn't ideal but it is an opportunity to demonstrate that he has taken onboard the advice the coaching staff have given him and a chance to make a case for inclusion in the PL side later in the season, especially if Solskjaer considers moving to a 3 man central midfield. AZ Alkmaar was just one match and shouldn't define his United career. In his other 2 starts this season I thought he did ok.

Finally, the big unknown at this stage is how long Fred is prepared to be a back-up player at United, assuming McTominay and Pogba continue to be the first choice pair. I would imagine that come next summer, we will have other priorities than spending limited transfer funds on upgrading our 4th choice central midfielder. If Pogba leaves then a huge overhaul of our midfield would be financially viable but otherwise I suspect Matic will force a move one way or other and United will need to bring in a replacement, while we wait for Garner to develop.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Maybe? If you look at that Liverpool team on paper, how many players would you have bought in their starting 11? I'd argue there were question marks over 80% of those signings but the manager has had a massive impact on turning into one of the best teams in the world. Need to look beyond the players.
This is always the excuse, "Blame the Manager". Look at the players mate, and tell me how many would get into the Liverpool or City sides. In fact you could count on 1 hand how many would get into a few other sides also.
Sky Sports were showing past games against Arsenal before Monday nights game and I almost cried when I seen those players on the pitch towards what we have now. My grandson was watching with me and even asked what's happened to United over the last few years. I looked at the bench and seen players that would walk into this side at their age. Scandalous the way we are now, and getting worse every year.

NinjaFletch

What did I get wrong?
  • I said he's worth closer to £1m than £55m? Do you disagree?
  • I said he was dodgy signing. Defamation law prevents me going further than that. Do you think his signing made sense?
  • What did I say that was disingenuous?
  • Despite playing less than half their league matches over 5 years, would you say he was a core player for Shakhtar? I said he was not.
You want to give him the benefit of the doubt? He cannot put in consistent performances for United. He wasn't worth a fraction of the £55m paid.

How about you try defending Fred, rather than attacking me. Can you manage that?
Nobody is defending Fred. I said I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're just not very good at numbers rather than being solely disengenuous. I am however enjoying the opportunity to laugh at you, again, getting yourself into a complete mess.

And to cap this all off you still haven't bothered to look at how many games are played in the Ukrainian league.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would feel far more confident of Fred consistently passing it to a MUFC player today if he were wearing the opposition kit.

Litch

This is always the excuse, "Blame the Manager". Look at the players mate, and tell me how many would get into the Liverpool or City sides. In fact you could count on 1 hand how many would get into a few other sides also.
Sky Sports were showing past games against Arsenal before Monday nights game and I almost cried when I seen those players on the pitch towards what we have now. My grandson was watching with me and even asked what's happened to United over the last few years. I looked at the bench and seen players that would walk into this side at their age. Scandalous the way we are now, and getting worse every year.
I agree, I struggle watching the archives on MUTV as the decline is horrendous. It's no my excuse tbh, just when you think of players that we signed previously, they were good when they came here but improved and when on to better. Unless some can tell me different, I generally can't think of a player that's improved that we have signed since SAF. That can't be coincidence and all about the players. Maybe poor examples but look at Depay and Zaha. Came here with loads of potential. People suggested it was their attitude that was the problem. Well there are many young players that have an attitude but they left Utd and are better players than when they were here. Depay is a significant part of the Dutch team and their resurgence. Zaha could have been sold for 70m in the summer.

The best managers turn average players in good ones, and good ones into world beaters......

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Honestly what were we doing when we scouted him? How did we end up paying 50 million for a midfielder who can’t control the ball?

Our scouting, coaching, management, need a serious overhaul. We won’t challenge for 10 years.

Litch

I think the point you have made numerous times about Fred, that he should be given time to adapt, before making a final assessment, is correct. The list of exceptional performers who had a difficult first season in a new country, is a long one. The change of manager, especially his decision to opt for continuity in midfield, selecting Matic, Herrera and Pogba, game after game, made life even more difficult for Fred.

Where I disagree with some of your previous posts is a factual point. Here are Fred's appearances last season: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fred/leistungsdaten/spieler/191614/plus/0?saison=2018 He made 13 starts in the PL, 6 in the CL and one in the FA Cup, as well as 4 sub appearances in the PL and one in the EFL Cup. Transfermarkt estimate he got 1593 mins in total last season.

Fred possesses some talent, as do all our first team squad. I can understand why we were interested in Fred, as his skill-set is different to that of our other midfielders, especially given Pogba had persuaded Mourinho to use him higher up the pitch. The fee seemed high at the time and has turned out to be ridiculous. His age, added to the salary he is being paid and the transfer fee, indicated a regular starter rather than a back-up player. Criticism of the transfer, the scouting, is justified.

If you ignore the fee, I think Fred is a reasonable 4th choice central midfielder for a two player central midfield. He performed well against PSG away and Barcelona home. In the PL there were times when he looked out of his depth but other games in which he did a decent job of getting on the ball and developing the play. Like most of United's current squad, he needs to tighten up a few elements of his game, and increase the number of good moments. My track-record at predicting which players will develop their game isn't great. I tend to believe younger players are more likely to improve but that may be too simplistic.

Being in the team for EL and domestic Cup competitions, rather than the PL side, isn't ideal but it is an opportunity to demonstrate that he has taken onboard the advice the coaching staff have given him and a chance to make a case for inclusion in the PL side later in the season, especially if Solskjaer considers moving to a 3 man central midfield. AZ Alkmaar was just one match and shouldn't define his United career. In his other 2 starts this season I thought he did ok.

Finally, the big unknown at this stage is how long Fred is prepared to be a back-up player at United, assuming McTominay and Pogba continue to be the first choice pair. I would imagine that come next summer, we will have other priorities than spending limited transfer funds on upgrading our 4th choice central midfielder. If Pogba leaves then a huge overhaul of our midfield would be financially viable but otherwise I suspect Matic will force a move one way or other and United will need to bring in a replacement, while we wait for Garner to develop.
Can anyone make an accurate assessment of anyone including the manager at the mo? I wouldn't know where to start cause based on the form of the end of last year and the start of this one, we'd be fighting regulation. I think on here people really minimise the impact of a poor manager on the team yet we are better placed than anyone to understand having a good one. Some teams win without world class players, not many win without a world class manager. Not defending Fred, players come that aren't good enough but like I said, in 6 years who has been. If in that times there's no examples of someone coming good, especially when they have left and picked up their careers once they left, we have to take a long and hard look at ourselves.

Litch

Honestly what were we doing when we scouted him? How did we end up paying 50 million for a midfielder who can’t control the ball?

Our scouting, coaching, management, need a serious overhaul. We won’t challenge for 10 years.
Could he control a ball playing for Brazil or in Russia?

Bestietom

I agree, I struggle watching the archives on MUTV as the decline is horrendous. It's no my excuse tbh, just when you think of players that we signed previously, they were good when they came here but improved and when on to better. Unless some can tell me different, I generally can't think of a player that's improved that we have signed since SAF. That can't be coincidence and all about the players. Maybe poor examples but look at Depay and Zaha. Came here with loads of potential. People suggested it was their attitude that was the problem. Well there are many young players that have an attitude but they left Utd and are better players than when they were here. Depay is a significant part of the Dutch team and their resurgence. Zaha could have been sold for 70m in the summer.

The best managers turn average players in good ones, and good ones into world beaters......
I agree with you mate, Fergie was a master at this. he could make ordinary players feel they were world beaters and got 120% from them. He told them you can do this, you can do that, and they went out and done it. Remember having to play the 2 Silvas as wingers, and Phil Neville in midfield, and not giving Viera a sniff when we played Arsenal. He was Unique, was Fergie.

Halal Jalal

Even though I agree that he's been a monumental flop so far and looks like a 3 million player, I'd wait for a new manager to assess him before selling. Allegri for example loves this type of midfielders in a diamond formation, mediocre technique but a lot of energy. Maybe he could make Fred start performing?

dev1l

Even though I agree that he's been a monumental flop so far and looks like a 3 million player, I'd wait for a new manager to assess him before selling. Allegri for example loves this type of midfielders in a diamond formation, mediocre technique but a lot of energy. Maybe he could make Fred start performing?
I dont think the issue is the manager. Ole gave him much more games than the manager who signed him - Jose.
I think there could be something else in the background.
Maybe like some Brazilians he s a bit "too relaxed"

Halal Jalal

I dont think the issue is the manager. Ole gave him much more games than the manager who signed him - Jose.
I think there could be something else in the background.
Maybe like some Brazilians he s a bit "too relaxed"
Yeah I agree, it's not looking good for Fred. Fiorentina supposedly offered twenty something million for him in the summer, I don't think we'll get even that for him next year.

Just saying that I don't trust Jose's and Ole's judgement.

Shinjch

Up there with the worst pieces of business that the club has done. And there have been a few candidates the last few years, unfortunately.

He is just an awful player.

el3mel

What the feck is this guy's real job ? I'm sure as hell it's not playing football. He can't be a footballer with such passing range ffs.

acnumber9

Come the next game you’ll still have people saying he has to play. He’s fecking awful. I thought it would be a while until we had a midfielder as bad as Schneiderlin but feck me, he’s worse.

Andersons Dietician

Was hoping he’d been trolling us last season and would come back this season and show us why he was rated and defended him at times and made excuses for things he has been doing but it’s really getting to the point where I think we kinda need to cut our losses. He’d struggle to get in to a championship team playing like this.

Say Goodbye

That second half. I found it hilarious how he was dropping into the back 4 to receive the ball and then just playing it back to another defender as if it was their job to move the play forward. It literally made no sense, especially as Mags and Axel are very comfortable with the ball!

Nori-

Possibly the most useless player we've had at the club since Anderson.

Cant pass, cant score, cant defend, doesn't assist, has no pace, constantly making mistakes etc.

£52m?!? WTF

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
If we intend to sell him back to Russia or Ukraine this winter, its better to stop playing him because his value is plummeting. Or play him in Europe he still looks decent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.