6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

Mourinho is definitely a Cnut, but he also had good reason to behave the way he behaved. We now see with OLE what happens when a weak manager acquiesces to an incompetent board. If Jose had been supported to the tune of $150-$200 million per summer, we would be competing for titles. Instead, he was barely supported and now the club are in a position where they will need to make $400-$600 investment to just get in a competitive position again, and we will also need to change managers again. Who is really responsible for the mess we are in?
Wow, barely supported? I have no reason to back the cnuts higher up but that is horse shit of the highest level.

UncleBob

Mourinho is definitely a Cnut, but he also had good reason to behave the way he behaved. We now see with OLE what happens when a weak manager acquiesces to an incompetent board. If Jose had been supported to the tune of $150-$200 million per summer, we would be competing for titles. Instead, he was barely supported and now the club are in a position where they will need to make $400-$600 investment to just get in a competitive position again, and we will also need to change managers again. Who is really responsible for the mess we are in?
:lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So, do you think that article came out of nowhere? IMO there's seems to be a general consensus all over that Mourinho was the victim.
Several articles about it, Fellaini interview and then articles trying to give him a free guilt pass on the Fred subject aswel.
There are several interests behind these latest articles, because Mourinho being employed will feed many people.

UncleBob

So, do you think that article came out of nowhere? IMO there's seems to be a general consensus all over that Mourinho was the victim.
Several articles about it, Fellaini interview and then articles trying to give him a free guilt pass on the Fred subject aswel.
There are several interests behind these latest articles, because Mourinho being employed will feed many people.
It's based on a shit article full of faults, that's where it came from.

If you want to maintain that this is something Mourinho has said, be my guest, but there's feck all to back you up on it

kr0nix

You're telling me that the likes of Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Matic, and Lindelof were signed up against Jose's will?

Not a single player improved under his management. Not one. You can't really blame the board for getting cold feet when they sign players specifically asked for by the manager, only to see them regress. Let's not forget that this list of signings includes Pogba, a player with more than enough raw talent to be a success here, who has had a track record of success everywhere else he's been. Surely a world class manager should be getting more out of him? Pep also made a number of failed signings but he did improve the other players he worked with. That meant the board were able to keep the faith and write off the failed signings.

That's not to excuse the board's failings. If they had lost faith in Jose, they should have fired him and looked for a replacement at that point. But I guess that sort of forward planning would be too much to ask of Woodward and co.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So... Mourinho just defended himself saying Fred was never his option to reinforce the middle, but Woodward told him it was Fred or nothing and he took it.
According to Athletic, which is the source for all these articles it wasn't Fred or no one. Jose assumed it was Fred or no one. Considering how paranoid Jose was thinking World is against him, can't blame anyone but him for Fred signing.

Also this changes so much that was reported back then, in Jan when City were favorites to sign Fred Duncan Castles reported Jose wanted to sign Fred.

Now that he has been shit, everyone wants to wash their hands and come clean from this mess.

manunited1919

Wow, barely supported? I have no reason to back the cnuts higher up but that is horse shit of the highest level.
I should have qualified the statement, as I was referring to the 18/19 transfer season. Our transfers that summer were Fred, Dalot and Lee Grant for a net spend of 60m US dollars. For a club the size of MUFC, I would say that constitutes barely supporting the manager.

manunited1919

You're telling me that the likes of Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Matic, and Lindelof were signed up against Jose's will?

Not a single player improved under his management. Not one. You can't really blame the board for getting cold feet when they sign players specifically asked for by the manager, only to see them regress. Let's not forget that this list of signings includes Pogba, a player with more than enough raw talent to be a success here, who has had a track record of success everywhere else he's been. Surely a world class manager should be getting more out of him? Pep also made a number of failed signings but he did improve the other players he worked with. That meant the board were able to keep the faith and write off the failed signings.

That's not to excuse the board's failings. If they had lost faith in Jose, they should have fired him and looked for a replacement at that point. But I guess that sort of forward planning would be too much to ask of Woodward and co.
You make a fair point that Jose had not improved many if our players. Still, Jose got us to a 2nd place finish with the squad including many of those players which didn’t improve. Then, right after that achievement, over last year’s summer the board brought in Fred, Dalot, and Lee Grant for a net spend of $60m.

So the Glazers thought they had saved money and Mourinho would get top 4 again with the same squad. Mou is a CNUT, but he is also a top competitor, and he threw the toys out of the pram even before the summer was over. Now, how much money are the Glazers gonna have to pump into the club to get us back into top 4?

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I should have qualified the statement, as I was referring to the 18/19 transfer season. Our transfers that summer were Fred, Dalot and Lee Grant for a net spend of 60m US dollars. For a club the size of MUFC, I would say that constitutes barely supporting the manager.
Similar to this summers net spend. Its quite clear that the Glazers are not interested in investing in the squad to complete. They would rather have the money in their pockets.

There is no reason besides the greed of the owners that United have fell behind everyone else. They could have easily invested in modernising the stadium, upgraded the squad, hired a DoF etc and still made money for themselves since they took over but they're not interested - this is the reality, until they go United are screwed.

pascell

I've only just seen this, we shouldn't really laugh at this because had this come off the training ground and Rashford had run across the defensive line (which he should be doing) then it'd be a great pass. But as we can see, Rashford didn't make the run so it looks completely shit from Fred, those are the passes we should be trying to make that go straight through a defence for our attackers to run onto.

Fosu-Mens

I've only just seen this, we shouldn't really laugh at this because had this come off the training ground and Rashford had run across the defensive line (which he should be doing) then it'd be a great pass. But as we can see, Rashford didn't make the run so it looks completely shit from Fred, those are the passes we should be trying to make that go straight through a defence for our attackers to run onto.
When the ball was going towards Fred, it was easy to see that there would not be anyone close to the destination for Freds pass. He was passing it blindly, hoping that by chance there would be a player making that run. It is ok if this happens a few times and could just be down to either being pressed hard or a misunderstanding. The problem is that Fred(and many other players on our team) makes these kinds of passes with no run or movement for the pass to have any meaning.

And this type of pass is symptomatic for our general attacking play. Everything we do in the final third or when attacking is coincidence.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When the ball was going towards Fred, it was easy to see that there would not be anyone close to the destination for Freds pass. He was passing it blindly, hoping that by chance there would be a player making that run. It is ok if this happens a few times and could just be down to either being pressed hard or a misunderstanding. The problem is that Fred(and many other players on our team) makes these kinds of passes with no run or movement for the pass to have any meaning.

And this type of pass is symptomatic for our general attacking play. Everything we do in the final third or when attacking is coincidence.
You're also both assuming that he's definitely trying to play it to Rashford and isn't trying to play a shorter pass to Mata, or trying to find Young with a return pass.

I mean this is Fred we're talking about... who knows whats going on in his football brain at any given point.

Fosu-Mens

You're also both assuming that he's definitely trying to play it to Rashford and isn't trying to play a shorter pass to Mata, or trying to find Young with a return pass.

I mean this is Fred we're talking about... who knows whats going on in his football brain at any given point.
Or simply panic and play the blind pass (go to solution for most of our players when we try to play out of defense or gets pressured a little).

pascell

Both are good points. I wouldn't mind him playing those passes, as long as they come off the training field and James & Rashford both make runs in behind to try and break the defensive line.

As you both say, Fred hasn't been in the best form so we don't know if this was meant as a pass to break the press and counter it, or just a very wayward pass.

Kostov

According to Athletic, which is the source for all these articles it wasn't Fred or no one. Jose assumed it was Fred or no one. Considering how paranoid Jose was thinking World is against him, can't blame anyone but him for Fred signing.

Also this changes so much that was reported back then, in Jan when City were favorites to sign Fred Duncan Castles reported Jose wanted to sign Fred.

Now that he has been shit, everyone wants to wash their hands and come clean from this mess.
Can't blame anyone but him for Fred? Are you actually serious? We supposedly had scouts that watched him all the time, and they gave a report that he is good enough, some moron also though that for this absolute fraud of a player we should pay 52m pounds. Mourinho wasn't the one negotiating the transfer and deciding yeah let's spank 52m on Fred. That absolute monstrous sum is one of the biggest feck ups in all of this. Yeah Mourinho might have given his okey we will never know, but the biggest feck up is actually how the deal was conducted.

roonster09

Scout
Can't blame anyone but him for Fred? Are you actually serious? We supposedly had scouts that watched him all the time, and they gave a report that he is good enough, some moron also though that for this absolute fraud of a player we should pay 52m pounds. Mourinho wasn't the one negotiating the transfer and deciding yeah let's spank 52m on Fred. That absolute monstrous sum is one of the biggest feck ups in all of this. Yeah Mourinho might have given his okey we will never know, but the biggest feck up is actually how the deal was conducted.
Yes, I won't blame anyone but Jose. So Woodward gets shit if he spends too much money to back the manager, also gets shit if he doesn't. I don't know why I should blame scouts when we don't even know what they wrote in their report.

If Fred fails that's on Jose, if Maguire/AWB fails that's on Jose. If Schneiderlin fails that's on Van Gaal. Obviously the moron who appointed all these managers shares responsibilities for hiring them in the first place.

Fosu-Mens

Both are good points. I wouldn't mind him playing those passes, as long as they come off the training field and James & Rashford both make runs in behind to try and break the defensive line.

As you both say, Fred hasn't been in the best form so we don't know if this was meant as a pass to break the press and counter it, or just a very wayward pass.
Lack of form is not the best way to describe the reasoning for that pass.

spiriticon

Jose should have vetoed this fecking signing. That £52 million would probably have got that defender he wanted last year.

Poor management.

Kostov

Yes, I won't blame anyone but Jose. So Woodward gets shit if he spends too much money to back the manager, also gets shit if he doesn't. I don't know why I should blame scouts when we don't even know what they wrote in their report.

If Fred fails that's on Jose, if Maguire/AWB fails that's on Jose. If Schneiderlin fails that's on Van Gaal. Obviously the moron who appointed all these managers shares responsibilities for hiring them in the first place.
Woodward spends too much money because he is an absolute moron, bloating about how we can do things in the market other clubs can dream off. Clubs know they can rinse an absolute incompetent prick who overpays all the time, under Moyes, LVG and Jose. How can we not blame scouts? They watched him the most and gave a go ahead to complete a 52m transfer. Let’s say Woodward doesn’t know shit about football and Mourinho only watched what was presented to him by the scouting team, how can we ignore that factor when Fred looks like an absolute amateur?

Woodward is the guy responsible because he didn’t learn from his mistakes, and is still continuing with this failed structure above the manager.

roonster09

Scout
Woodward spends too much money because he is an absolute moron, bloating about how we can do things in the market other clubs can dream off. Clubs know they can rinse an absolute incompetent prick who overpays all the time, under Moyes, LVG and Jose. How can we not blame scouts? They watched him the most and gave a go ahead to complete a 52m transfer. Let’s say Woodward doesn’t know shit about football and Mourinho only watched what was presented to him by the scouting team, how can we ignore that factor when Fred looks like an absolute amateur?

Woodward is the guy responsible because he didn’t learn from his mistakes, and is still continuing with this failed structure above the manager.
You are under the impression that scouts make transfers; they don't.

Johan07

I thought it was pretty much evident from what Mourinho said during the wkd that Fred was far from the first choice on his list but he OKd the transfer anyways because otherwise he would have not got anyone in.
Guess what: so if your first choices are not available; wait a window or two. Until they are. Dont be so short term (I know that will never be Mourinho).
And understand that if you still go for your fifth choice for a lot of money and your first choices are available nxt summer; hm, maybe there is not available space in the wage bill anymore. And that you might have fecked up the possibility to make other signings as well for the same reason nxt window.
Same reasoning goes for signing Victor and Bailly (I dont think they were first choices either) and then start to moan about Maguire.
Sorry for the rambling, but I really despise Mourinho and what he did to the club. Thank God that he was not allowed to sell Martial and bring in Willian for example. Then the squad would be even more broken.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I thought it was pretty much evident from what Mourinho said during the wkd that Fred was far from the first choice on his list but he OKd the transfer anyways because otherwise he would have not got anyone in.
Guess what: so if your first choices are not available; wait a window or two. Until they are. Dont be so short term (I know that will never be Mourinho).
And understand that if you still go for your fifth choice for a lot of money and your first choices are available nxt summer; hm, maybe there is not available space in the wage bill anymore. And that you might have fecked up the possibility to make other signings as well for the same reason nxt window.
Same reasoning goes for signing Victor and Bailly (I dont think they were first choices either) and then start to moan about Maguire.
Sorry for the rambling, but I really despise Mourinho and what he did to the club. Thank God that he was not allowed to sell Martial and bring in Willian for example. Then the squad would be even more broken.
Yes and no. You can't just wait for your first choice if the team desperately needs reinforcement in a position. There's also no guarantee that your first choice will be available in a window or two. I would say that limiting yourself to your first choice and only your first choice should only be done in special occasions when you are in a position of strength and a special kind of player comes along (our signing of Rooney is the first example which comes to mind).

Of course, that doesn't mean you sign any random player. Out of the thousands of players throughout Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter), we should be able to come up with a couple of suitable replacements if our first choice ends up being impossible to get.

Kostov

They don’t, but they have a big role in a club’s transfer policy and dealings, especially at a club badly run like ours and without a DOF. The manager does not have time to do it all himself, and I can imagine they rely on their team of employees in order to manage different aspects of the everyday running of the team.

roonster09

Scout
They don’t, but they have a big role in a club’s transfer policy and dealings, especially at a club badly run like ours and without a DOF. The manager does not have time to do it all himself, and I can imagine they rely on their team of employees in order to manage different aspects of the everyday running of the team.
They don't play big role, at least at Manutd going by our signings which are obvious signings. And also how do you know what kind of report they submitted on Fred? For all we know they might have reported poor one on him and Jose wanted to sign as he assumed it's Fred or no one.

Kostov

They don't play big role, at least at Manutd going by our signings which are obvious signings. And also how do you know what kind of report they submitted on Fred? For all we know they might have reported poor one on him and Jose wanted to sign as he assumed it's Fred or no one.
Someone with the power to okey a multimillion pound deal went as far as paying 52m for Fred. I don’t think it was only because Mourinho wanted a midfielder. Someone miscalculated the potential of this guy and I don’t think it Mourinho.

roonster09

Scout
Someone with the power to okey a multimillion pound deal went as far as paying 52m for Fred. I don’t think it was only because Mourinho wanted a midfielder. Someone miscalculated the potential of this guy and I don’t think it Mourinho.
So it's a problem if Jose is backed and problem if he is not.

TheRedHearted

At the beginning has a Scholes quality to him- deep passing breaking the line with a fast team pushing forward and others like Sterling imo (just qualities like them not at the same level).

Imo would have worked well at city or if we actually played that high press high movement we wanted to play. under Mourinho doesn’t really look like a midfield type he likes off the top of my head but all I can really remember are his Inter midfielders anyway.
A midfield three of him and Pogba and a world class DM really would have worked similarly to what Pep has with De Bruyne and David Silva at City.

He looks lost in a lost team imo.

Shimo

I am probably one of the only people on the planet right now that actually thinks Fred has a lot to offer if used correctly. Put him in a 3 along side Pogba, McTomminay and he probably does really well.I don't think he is cut out to be either a pure CDM or the creative hub but, somewhere in between. He has the ability to carry the ball, see a pass and also has a lot of energy for the defensive side.

Against Alkmaar, he was the one that seemed to have the ball the most, trying to initiate attacks but, was not coming off but, he was the only one that day that was being proactive and trying. The rest on the pitch were just crap but, he kept at it but, he got stick for losing the ball too much

Then against Newcastle, he got played as the CDM and he did a 180, went from trying to create / initiate to the constant safe pass, for others to create he's got stick now for not being the quintessential QB CDM that is able to dictate play from deep and make penetrative passes that even makes the most stagnant of players seem brilliant.

If Ole ever decides to abandon this 4-2-3-1 formation and actually play to the strength of the players we have rather than stick them into ill suited roles, we might actually get to see a lot more out of Fred and others.

NoPace

He looks lost in a lost team imo.
Have to assume he'll move to Serie A or La Liga and find a manager and club that suited him like Shaktar did - for like a third of what we paid for him - and have some very decent seasons in his late 20s. Like Poborsky did at Benfica and Lazio after struggling for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.