Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UmbroDays

I’d swop rice for Fred in a heart beat.
They aren't even the same type of player and don't have the same game - so what you're really saying is that you'll swap Fred for a DMF.

I'd say McT of old (less forward action) would have been a better analogy, but I wouldn't swap them either.

Rice is no better than McFred.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
And what's the use of Fred getting over the half way line?
Because he wins the ball in the opposition's half and denies their counter while leading ours in. It's his best quality.

Nail on the head and that is exactly our midfield problem. We have 2 players that complement each other but are quite limited as well. Essentially they're doing a one man's job. Fred brings the energy, McTominay the body, but both aren't good enough on the ball.

simplyared

For me (again not being a fan) that was his best performance in a utd shirt. Big contribution to the outcome of the game from him. Hit some really good direct passes and keeps the momentum going from defence to attack. He's becoming an asset to the team definately which I never thought I would be saying. Credit where it's due!

Mr Smith

They aren't even the same type of player and don't have the same game - so what you're really saying is that you'll swap Fred for a DMF.

I'd say McT of old (less forward action) would have been a better analogy, but I wouldn't swap them either.

The problem with that is that Rice is one player, McFred is two. The fact that McTominay and Fred have to play together to be effective really holds us back. Fred in particular is really limited, and he would be the one I'd upgrade on if I could. But in an ideal world, we have a defensive midfielder beside Pogba, or behind two free 8's, with McTominay a squad player when we need more steel in midfield.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
God is he frustrating to watch. Can't pass, shot or dribble, destroys counters, really poor positioning at times. But he can run for ages. :annoyed:
Is he really a Brazilian ?

Robbie Boy

Are people still banging on about Rice :lol: He was awful yesterday and in a matter of months, would be slated on here if we were to sign him. We do need to improve our midfield but let's steer well clear of Declan Rice.

Falcow

For me (again not being a fan) that was his best performance in a utd shirt. Big contribution to the outcome of the game from him. Hit some really good direct passes and keeps the momentum going from defence to attack. He's becoming an asset to the team definately which I never thought I would be saying. Credit where it's due!
Nowhere near his best game in a united shirt, not even top 10 to be honest. Leipzig and PSG this season and PSG away in 2019, Barca away same season and take your pick of the wins over City last season, was also very good in wins against chelsea last season. He was also excellent for us in the run up to Christmas just gone....check through this thread if you wish to see where his performances were praised. That and the pre covid run we had last season were his best spells for us. Amazing how people forget this.

Would agree however that yesterday was his best game in a while as he has been poor lately but to say yesterday was his best game for us ignores some really great performances he had for us.

simplyared

Nowhere near his best game in a united shirt, not even top 10 to be honest. Leipzig and PSG this season and PSG away in 2019, Barca away same season and take your pick of the wins over City last season, was also very good in wins against chelsea last season. He was also excellent for us in the run up to Christmas just gone....check through this thread if you wish to see where his performances were praised. That and the pre covid run we had last season were his best spells for us. Amazing how people forget this.

Would agree however that yesterday was his best game in a while as he has been poor lately but to say yesterday was his best game for us ignores some really great performances he had for us.
You like many other on here were heaping praise on him in past games. I was one of the few people who were calling him out. The reason I believe he's a better player now is because I believe he's tidied his game up a lot and is far more direct with his passing (not just passing sideways). He's also more accurate with his passing. His retrieving is better also. Let's just say he is getting nearer to a Kante-type player imo whereas before it was an insult to Kante to make that comparison.

Remember the geese

You like many other on here were heaping praise on him in past games. I was one of the few people who were calling him out. The reason I believe he's a better player now is because I believe he's tidied his game up a lot and is far more direct with his passing (not just passing sideways). He's also more accurate with his passing. His retrieving is better also. Let's just say he is getting nearer to a Kante-type player imo whereas before it was an insult to Kante to make that comparison.
You're wrong. Fred has not improved all of a sudden. He has been playing at a very consistent level for 12-18 months now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I still maintain Fred is the weirdest player in our squad.

Yesterday he hit some really crisp, incisive and actually good passes (which he sometimes does) and you just think, why last week did you make passing the ball 5 yards look like the hardest thing in the world?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Are people still banging on about Rice :lol: He was awful yesterday and in a matter of months, would be slated on here if we were to sign him. We do need to improve our midfield but let's steer well clear of Declan Rice.
Yep, will be another massively overpriced player. I don't think he's a bad player but for the money WHU will want...steer clear.

Robbie Boy

Yep, will be another massively overpriced player. I don't think he's a bad player but for the money WHU will want...steer clear.
Aye, not a bad player but a ridiculously overrated one. You just know if we signed him, he would come in for criticism after people have had a chance to watch him every week. For the £60m to £80m he would cost, he wouldn't really be much of an upgrade and he's not what we should be looking for.

Litch

Absolutely spot on and just evidence how agendas can create amnesia influences people's view when making a point. Fred hasn't been great for the last 3-4 games at least but conversely neither has Utd. Many won't believe that there is a correlation between the two but I do. Generally if he plays well, we win football games cause of his influence at both ends. A lot of his work people ignore or minimise and will see what they want to.

Fred plays, we win or don't lose and that's why he's one of the first names on the team sheet even if everyone is fit, and if we were playing in the CL final tmw. If you don't think that's right, that's on Ole and certainly don't see us buying a CDM when there are more pressing issues about scoring goals.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Sometimes he does, some times he is left for dead and our defense is exposed, that's the type of midifielder he is really, just not what we need imo.
True, he failed a couple of times in the 2nd half close to the halfway line. It's one of the reasons Ole prefers a double pivot, I think. He's our only player that can do it and actually tries, so I'm wouldn't judge him too harshly on it.

I still maintain Fred is the weirdest player in our squad.

Yesterday he hit some really crisp, incisive and actually good passes (which he sometimes does) and you just think, why last week did you make passing the ball 5 yards look like the hardest thing in the world?
Because West Ham were sitting back. Fred's not press resistant. He's not someone that will show up for the ball with someone breathing in his neck (like vs Milan) and be able to turn away from his marker and progress the ball. Pogba's our only player that can do that. McTominay can hold the ball a bit better than Fred, but he only passes it back or sideways. Pogba's injury has highlighted our other midfielder's lack of ability on the ball.

I'm very happy with how Fred's bounced back after 2 terrible games. I was considering him for MotM at halftime. His poor form has been very short-lived compared to some of our other players. His passing is still a bit inconsistent for my taste.

Litch

Aye, not a bad player but a ridiculously overrated one. You just know if we signed him, he would come in for criticism after people have had a chance to watch him every week. For the £60m to £80m he would cost, he wouldn't really be much of an upgrade and he's not what we should be looking for.
Agree. It's funny how some fans dumb down our players cause they see them every week yet elevate others playing in teams where the only pressure is to not get drawn into a regulation battle. People underestimate that there is no other English team comes with the same pressure both inside and outside of the club than here. We are the only team that a player can make the front and back pages....

Litch

True, he failed a couple of times in the 2nd half close to the halfway line. It's one of the reasons Ole prefers a double pivot, I think. He's our only player that can do it and actually tries, so I'm wouldn't judge him too harshly on it.

Because West Ham were sitting back. Fred's not press resistant. He's not someone that will show up for the ball with someone breathing in his neck (like vs Milan) and be able to turn away from his marker and progress the ball. Pogba's our only player that can do that. McTominay can hold the ball a bit better than Fred, but he only passes it back or sideways. Pogba's injury has highlighted our other midfielder's lack of ability on the ball.

I'm very happy with how Fred's bounced back after 2 terrible games. I was considering him for MotM at halftime. His poor form has been very short-lived compared to some of our other players. His passing is still a bit inconsistent for my taste.
Some fair points but Pogs has also struggled for a long time here too.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed. Would prefer more of a DLP type - but that's easier said than done as there are very few of them at the required standard around and available.

Kostov

I think Ole prefers a double pivot because of lack of options to be fair. If Pogba was fit and ready he would be first choice, which then brings up the question of who should partner him. Fred is not the partner that would be suitable.

lex talionis

Solid squad player for me. He ably suits the role of filling in while Pogba is out injured out. But if we ever find ourselves in a CL final again and everyone is fit, I wouldn't want to see him start. Too little quality on the ball and not strong enough defensively to ever be a DM for us. But for opponents like West Ham, Fred can do the job.

Litch

Solid squad player for me. He ably suits the role of filling in while Pogba is out injured out. But if we ever find ourselves in a CL final again and everyone is fit, I wouldn't want to see him start. Too little quality on the ball and not strong enough defensively to ever be a DM for us. But for opponents like West Ham, Fred can do the job.
You know Fred has played pretty much every big game inc the last European semi finals we took part in, even if Pogs was available. You know he is currently the DM for us. You know he is currently playing for us and not West Ham. If we are star gazing, I'm saying he'll be the DM next season too. We aren't going to spend 60m on a player when it's pretty clear Ole is looking for a forward, CB and cover at RB....

Falcow

Absolutely spot on and just evidence how agendas can create amnesia influences people's view when making a point. Fred hasn't been great for the last 3-4 games at least but conversely neither has Utd. Many won't believe that there is a correlation between the two but I do. Generally if he plays well, we win football games cause of his influence at both ends. A lot of his work people ignore or minimise and will see what they want to.

Fred plays, we win or don't lose and that's why he's one of the first names on the team sheet even if everyone is fit, and if we were playing in the CL final tmw. If you don't think that's right, that's on Ole and certainly don't see us buying a CDM when there are more pressing issues about scoring goals.
Agreed. Plays a very important role for us. I dont know if the recent poor form is down to fatigue or what as his workrate hasn't been as high as usual I feel. People here seem to argue that his recent performances are his level...sure let's ignore the last 2 years and pretend he has only been as good as the last month. To make that argument really is agenda driven.

For those posters doubting his importance in european competition, some of his best performances for us have come in the CL, Barca away a couple of years ago, that night in Paris, PSG away again this season and Leipzig at home....that was possibly his best performance for us....no surprise they beat us in the return leg when he was suspended. I would be my bottom dollar that we wouldnt have been opened up like we were if he was playing in that game. Very same goes for Istanbul away, he was rested, we got carved open and lost...shock horror. It was also in CL for Shakhtar that he came to prominence.

Anyway, hope he can pick up his form till end of season.

lex talionis

You know Fred has played pretty much every big game inc the last European semi finals we took part in, even if Pogs was available. You know he is currently the DM for us. You know he is currently playing for us and not West Ham. If we are star gazing, I'm saying he'll be the DM next season too. We aren't going to spend 60m on a player when it's pretty clear Ole is looking for a forward, CB and cover at RB....
I'm quite aware of all of that, but I'm also quite aware of the fact that Fred is limited as a DM. He's neither a defensive rock nor a gifted passer of the ball. I'm glad he's a member of the squad, but as I wrote before I hope he's not our answer at DM if we ever find ourselves in a CL final again. But I full agree with your point that we shouldn't be spending silly money on a DM when we have a gaping hole at CF.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I'm quite aware of all of that, but I'm also quite aware of the fact that Fred is limited as a DM. He's neither a defensive rock nor a gifted passer of the ball. I'm glad he's a member of the squad, but as I wrote before I hope he's not our answer at DM if we ever find ourselves in a CL final again. But I full agree with your point that we shouldn't be spending silly money on a DM when we have a gaping hole at CF.
Yeah he's not and yet he's got the best defensive numbers in our team and in the league past few seasons. Such a nonsense thrown around that he's not good enough, he's got some insane numbers matching Kante easily, but perhaps for you it's about the lad has to be tall and strong and sitting to be a DM. Fred covers the most ground, is the first player to cover for any of the defenders and first player to win the ball in dangerous situation in both sides of the pitch. He again won a couple of goals and set up great counters but obviously people just remember highlights. The Rashford header and Greenwood chance he would have a preassist if the strikers didn't fail to finish.

If you can't see that I am afraid you should try another sport, perhaps biathlon is easy to understand.

Fred is our most important player same way Fernandes is attacking wise, just need to upgrade McTominay who is bang average, but all of these players make mistakes, it's just that people like to call out Fred because they simply don't understand game of football, that it is not about 11 Ronaldo's. Even Fernandes is way out of his depth lately but he's not called out for a simple fecked up pass after pass he makes like Fred. Perhaps it's because he's black Brazilian player who came for 50 million pounds and people just like to give him stick, Same goes with Pogba or Maguire who cost "fortunes" but who cares about that. let's focus on the contributions of certain players rather than their background. I am convinced about the bias because you can see that people just have their comments ready before the game starts, knives are out with a little hesitation of certain players and overlook massive weaknesses in their favourite players. This desperation for a Scotish underdog lad like McTominay from our academy to succeed is hilarious. And believe me or not, I love the academy and our products, but you can immediately see if they are good enough or not if you are not totally dumb or stubborn.

For me I loved Gary Neville, Darren Fletcher, as much as Vidic or Pat Evra or Dwight Yorke because they gave their all regardless their race or pricetag. They are classic Manutd players with grit and talent. And Fred could be one of them if he continues to do so but people should fecking understand he's no Ronaldinho and he's there to provide base for other players. Lazy assumption he's from Brazil he has to play with Neymar skills or what. Yet his passing is the most crisp in our midfield and with highest pass completion and tempo which is often lacking when he doesn't play. We can see how zombie football we play without Fred and how is our winning/losing ratio with him, including big games where he's brilliant.

He was running for our best player of the season before Fernandes took it form him and last season as well he was brilliant but some people are jsut desperate to bash him for whatever reason because he's not Carrick or their favourite/desired player of past.

AgentSmith

Yeah he's not and yet he's got the best defensive numbers in our team and in the league past few seasons. Such a nonsense thrown around that he's not good enough, he's got some insane numbers matching Kante easily, but perhaps for you it's about the lad has to be tall and strong and sitting to be a DM. Fred covers the most ground, is the first player to cover for any of the defenders and first player to win the ball in dangerous situation in both sides of the pitch. He again won a couple of goals and set up great counters but obviously people just remember highlights. The Rashford header and Greenwood chance he would have a preassist if the strikers didn't fail to finish.

If you can't see that I am afraid you should try another sport, perhaps biathlon is easy to understand.

Fred is our most important player same way Fernandes is attacking wise, just need to upgrade McTominay who is bang average, but all of these players make mistakes, it's just that people like to call out Fred because they simply don't understand game of football, that it is not about 11 Ronaldo's. Even Fernandes is way out of his depth lately but he's not called out for a simple fecked up pass after pass he makes like Fred. Perhaps it's because he's black Brazilian player who came for 50 million pounds and people just like to give him stick, Same goes with Pogba or Maguire who cost "fortunes" but who cares about that. let's focus on the contributions of certain players rather than their background. I am convinced about the bias because you can see that people just have their comments ready before the game starts, knives are out with a little hesitation of certain players and overlook massive weaknesses in their favourite players. This desperation for a Scotish underdog lad like McTominay from our academy to succeed is hilarious. And believe me or not, I love the academy and our products, but you can immediately see if they are good enough or not if you are not totally dumb or stubborn.

For me I loved Gary Neville, Darren Fletcher, as much as Vidic or Pat Evra or Dwight Yorke because they gave their all regardless their race or pricetag. They are classic Manutd players with grit and talent. And Fred could be one of them if he continues to do so but people should fecking understand he's no Ronaldinho and he's there to provide base for other players. Lazy assumption he's from Brazil he has to play with Neymar skills or what. Yet his passing is the most crisp in our midfield and with highest pass completion and tempo which is often lacking when he doesn't play. We can see how zombie football we play without Fred and how is our winning/losing ratio with him, including big games where he's brilliant.

He was running for our best player of the season before Fernandes took it form him and last season as well he was brilliant but some people are jsut desperate to bash him for whatever reason because he's not Carrick or their favourite/desired player of past.
Why do people keep using different versions of this inane insult?

The arrogance involved in it completely negates whatever good there may be in the rest of the post.

‘You don’t agree with me which means you’re so wrong you should never watch football again.’ Okay then.

Crashoutcassius

On course to have a very good season. Should start every game where the counter is on next season. If we are forced to have the ball then we can improve on him obviously

lex talionis

Quite a long post to agree with what I’ve already written twice, which is that Fred is an asset to the squad. But posts like this, which way overstate his talents and might induce those who have never seen him play before that Fred is the next Carrick, or Makelele, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fred is hardly “our most important player”, although I have to admit the passion with which you made this claim is to be commended.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

Super passionate post. It's like you have your cape on, patrolling this thread for naysayers :lol:.

For the record, I acknowledge all that Fred has done. He's had some immense games, mainly against big opposition too. He particularly excels in those frantic games where quenching fire and fast breaks are the strategy.

With that being said, I think there's a fluidity issue with the team and him, McTominay, AWB and the lack of a right wing option contributes to this because of their inconsistencies on the ball. As far as Bruno is concerned I'll admit, he gives it away needlessly too, but rightly or wrongly I am inclined to be more lenient with him because of his offensive output and the area of the field he's likely to lose it in. I don't think McTominay and Fred are starters in a team that wants to impose their style of play on the opposition (what we need to do to 85% of the league). I also think we need a right winger, Pogba back in midfield and healthy Rashford. Pogba will bench McTominay and hopefully an incoming DM, more assured on the ball will bench Fred.

What I am curious about is how people think Fred would have faired in the Man city team considering Pep was in for him at the time of us signing him? I see Fernandinho and Rodri as players more assured on the ball than Fred but could just be the system.

Matt851

Did anyone watch Kante's man of the match performance against Athletico Madrid last night and think it was just like watching Fred :lol:?

Game of two halves for him. Lost the ball every time he touched it in the first, was one of the best players on the pitch in the second.

Litch

Some people were getting ready to T off at Fred but second half, he was outstanding.....

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That second half he was incredible. Won so much ball and his passing was really crisp. There were a few vollied passes tonight that stood out.

Roboc7

Redeemed himself in 2nd half, the Mcfred combination is a big issue for us though.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Every single pass was spot on. Mostly simple ones the first half, but in the 2nd half he did some beauties. Defensively he was everywhere, can't remember how many balls he won. Would have been my MotM if Pogba wasn't trying to win the Ballon D'or.

That second half he was incredible. Won so much ball and his passing was really crisp. There were a few vollied passes tonight that stood out.
@GifLord
54:40 and 83:00 were Fred's beauties I believes. Sorry, if I'm wrong, had some drinks.

AgentSmith

One of the worst players on the pitch first half. One of the best in the second half.

We can’t continue with the McFred base. It’s so painfully limited.

Either accept the defensive frailty associated with playing Pogba in the pivot or buy a proper CDM to allow Pogba and Bruno to play as the two midfielders ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.