g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fred | no longer Fred the Red but now a Turkish delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Ten Hag kept him nicely on the boil for a year until he could get him out the door. He’s absolutely doing it with other current members of the squad. I said before in 18 months nobody would be left from the Rangnick season.

Might be a bit longer, but it will be Ten Hag’s side constructed soon enough.
Yeah just a bit, try another 5-6 years at least.

stevoc

Really strange player Fred.
Top class engine, that was undoubted.

But we never quite worked out what sort of mid he was. Usually used defensively, but he's not really that sort of player.
Not great at passing, shooting or assisting, so not at home too far forward.
So it was a strange sort of high energy harrying up and down role.

Even harder to judge what was going on, when paired with Mctom who you could argue was very similar to the above description but less good at winning the ball.
Yeah he's not a defensive midfielder, he's not a creative midfielder and he's not an attacking midfielder. He's only at his best as the 3rd man in a midfield 3 for energy and breaking up play. But Manchester United should have midfielders who can offer that and the ability to pass, assist and score to a high level.

stevoc

Don't think so. Not even close to that.
Rashford just signed a new 5 year contract with an option for another year, same with Garnacho.

You think both will be gone in a year or two?

Trex

Rashford just signed a new 5 year contract with an option for another year, same with Garnacho.

You think ETH doesn't fancy them? So its not yet Pep team then since De bruyne was there before his arrival?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Right to move on for him. Good that we are finally getting rid of players who aren’t up to the required level rather than becoming a safe haven for average players.

But I wish him all the best. Despite all the above, I can’t “hate” a player just because they’re shit as long as they give their best and work hard. If they ain’t up to the quality that’s on the manager/club who brought him in. He can only do his best and I feel like he at least always gave it all to try and do so.

Loon

:lol:

Garnacho doesn't really count under Rangnick, does he? He wasn't really part of that side which downed tools. Bit rum to include him.

Rashford showed for Ten Hag last season, but there's nothing to say his position is secure if he fails to show in future. He'll be sold.

Just my opinion, but there are players I'm sure he is giving the illusion they're secure, but he'll get rid if they don't match what he wants, which was kind of my point with Fred.

Loon

You think ETH doesn't fancy them? So its not yet Pep team then since De bruyne was there before his arrival?
No, @stevoc didn't say that, he was saying the opposite. I feel Ten Hag knows who he doesn't want and is placating a few, but they need to show or go. For example, I'm sure he's ecouraging the hell out of Sancho, but only for so long.

stevoc

That's not what I was saying mate.

Last edited:

stevoc

Garnacho doesn't really count under Rangnick, does he? He wasn't really part of that side which downed tools. Bit rum to include him.

Rashford showed for Ten Hag last season, but there's nothing to say his position is secure if he fails to show in future. He'll be sold.

Just my opinion, but there are players I'm sure he is giving the illusion they're secure, but he'll get rid if they don't match what he wants, which was kind of my point with Fred.
Don't count Garnacho if you don't want to mate, but after signing that contract I think Rashford will probably finish his career at United or at the very least be here until his 30's.

And that's without going into Shaw, AWB, Dalot, Lindelof, Varane, Sancho, Fernandes etc. Any or all of which could still be at United for another 3-5 years. The idea of turning an entire squad over in 18-24 months is batshit crazy, Van Gaal tried it and it didn't end well.

Loon

Don't count Garnacho if you don't want to mate, but after signing that contract I think Rashford will probably finish his career at United or at the very least be here until his 30's.

And that's without going into Shaw, AWB, Dalot, Lindelof, Varane, Sancho, Fernandes etc. Any or all of which could still be at United for another 3-5 years. The idea of turning an entire squad over in 18-24 months is batshit crazy, Van Gaal tried it and it didn't end well.
Fair point. I think it's also financially impossible at this time. He's gone so far, what? CB, LB, CMF, CMF, RW and now Mount, Hojland, Onana (I guess Evans) and the window is not shut yet.

stevoc

Fair point. I think it's also financially impossible at this time. He's gone so far, what? CB, LB, CMF, CMF, RW and now Mount, Hojland, Onana (I guess Evans) and the window is not shut yet.
Significant turnover was necessary not just because some of the players were not up to standard and/or declining but also some like Maguire or DeGea are good players but just don't suit Ten Hag's style. I agree financially it's virtually impossible to change the entire squad, not even just in terms of buying but having to sell at knock down prices because of the wages we pay. Van Gaal taking a chainsaw to Fergie's last squad in my opinion set us back years when someone like Mourinho would have got more mileage out of a lot of those players that Van Gaal expensively replaced with inferior signings.

Loon

Significant turnover was necessary not just because some of the players were not up to standard and/or declining but also some like Maguire or DeGea are good players but just don't suit Ten Hag's style. I agree financially it's virtually impossible to change the entire squad, not even just in terms of buying but having to sell at knock down prices because of the wages we pay. Van Gaal taking a chainsaw to Fergie's last squad in my opinion set us back years when someone like Mourinho would have got more mileage out of a lot of those players that Van Gaal expensively replaced with inferior signings.
Do you not think he got rid of some players because of their toxicity? I'm inclined to think so.

Mike Smalling

Always had a soft spot for Fred. Wholesome personality and always worked his socks off. On his day he could be very good, but they were too far in between.

Good time to sell him. Best of luck!

stevoc

Do you not think he got rid of some players because of their toxicity? I'm inclined to think so.
Ten Hag? Very much so, the likes of Bailly, Henderson etc. were rumoured to be bad for morale.

Bobski

He did alright last season, had some really good spells of form and did particularly well coming off the bench adding energy and drive. I think we will miss that part of his game at times, the technically erratic spells not so much, but given his age and playing style it is probably the right time to move him on.

poleglass red

He was right. Every man and his dog knew that MgChoir should have been dropped
You don't go running to the press though. Also with his injury record, and the peformances he was putting in for us, there wasn't much clamouring for him to start by fans. A case of from bad to worse. Knuckle down, get fit and stay fit, and improve your own game should have been his concern. He was referring back to the Ole days, seems to forget Maguires partner in crime was Lindelof

Yakuza_devils

Fred got many MOTM performance for us. The issue is he was not consistent. He can swing from brilliant to awful from match to match.

stevoc

Forgot about that! But otherwise I've never read nor had the impression that he caused trouble.
Well he obvioulsy wasn't happy and thought he should be starting for some reason. I think there were a few rumours he was one of a group of players along with the likes of Lingard and Henderson who were disgruntled and moaning behind the scenes.

Personally he's always gave me the impression he could be a disruptive influence as he vastly overesitmates his own ability.

Bogga

When players go to turkish teams they always seems to be waiting at the airport and we get tons of footage... come on you turks, we want videos of Fred and Bailly

Devil You Know

Maguire and Fred were both on the transfer list this summer.

But whereas Maguire went on tour and played every minute he was picked (evening opening himself to boos), Fred didn't even bother. Between the two of them, at least Maguire had the professionalism to make himself available.

Marcelinho87

Likeable guy, had some very good moments but ultimately not good enough.

Thanks for the efforts and good luck Fred.

laughtersassassin

Good stuff. Was never good enough for us.Of course he tried but just didn't have the ability.

Need to get a midfielder in now by the next game. Especially with Mainoo out long term.

Same with a CB to replace Harry

Traub

I actually think that, in hindsight, this was arguably our worst transfer of the past decade excluding Alexis. His fee was outrageous at the time.

foolsgold

Good stuff. Was never good enough for us.Of course he tried but just didn't have the ability.

Need to get a midfielder in now by the next game. Especially with Mainoo out long term.

Same with a CB to replace Harry
I'm not sure that would be needed. Mainoo was a bench / rotation option at best this year, we don't know how long he's going to be out for "first part of the season" is pretty vague.

Don't really see the point in bringing in someone on a 4 year contract and blocking a midfield spot. I think we're going to be ok in midfield for now, unless McTominay leaves then we'll need another body but for now, just give the minutes that Mainoo would have got to Hannibal.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Have some brilliant memories thanks to this lad.

At one point I thought he offered very little. He really come on.

Good luck Fred!

Status
Not open for further replies.