g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Fred | no longer Fred the Red but now a Turkish delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Honestly people complaining about 10m for Fred deserve Fred football for 10 more years. A year left on his contract, 30 year old, 100k a week and average to boot. Some of you needed a reality check in the constant overrating of his “quality”. It’s a good deal for all sides.
Well said but some just can't see it

croadyman

Would you rather firm at £20m and risk losing him for free? Or do you the bullet and take something like £12m for him? That’s an easy answer. £12m is a lot of money for us cause we are shit at selling.
Down to Rosie & Jim sorry meant Woody & Judge

gregwar

Really likeable lad and I can't fault his attitude whatsoever - one of the only players who looked like he gave a shit towards the end of 21/22, but ultimately nowhere near good enough for us.

Good luck Fred. Hope he does well at Fenerbahçe.

Betson

Best of luck to him , a very likable character who gave his all. Had some very good days for us.

But the good days were the exceptions , had far too many mediocre to poor games for a club with title aspirations. Best move for both club and the player to part ways now as ETH builds a new squad.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
15m euros in this market is so so poor. Fred would be a good signing for anyone outside of the European places, he’s got plenty of Brazil caps and is a decent back up.

Why would we sell him for next to nothing? The club is a joke.
15m is not a bad return for a player practically out of contract and cost United 47m

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good luck to Pastor Fred! Always liked him on a personal level. Hope he does well.

Dempsey19

How in the Jesus Christ are people complaining about getting X amount for him.

He's absolutely feckin garbage, always has been. Throws in a worldie performance the odd time and all of a sudden he's prime Viera, feck off. Problem with this club for years is accepting mediocrity, there's a reason ETH wants/wanted rid of DGG/Fred/McTominay/Maguire/Bailly/Telles/Elanga/VDB

Dalot/AWB are probably on list too but funds can't allow every mediocre player to be replaced.

I despise city with their feckin corrupt bullshit but Pep could sign a defender for stupid money and within 12 months he's has enough and wants him out the door. I know it's easy for city to do that but that should be how it goes.

Few performance threads and you see people saying "oh it's his season now I fully believe hes gonna smash it this season", only to be served up the same old shit.

ETH is cut throat and it's what we need. You play like a dick, you'll be out the door. Simples as that.

croadyman

He's absolutely feckin garbage, always has been. Throws in a worldie performance the odd time and all of a sudden he's prime Viera, feck off. Problem with this club for years is accepting mediocrity, there's a reason ETH wants/wanted rid of DGG/Fred/McTominay/Maguire/Bailly/Telles/Elanga/VDB

Dalot/AWB are probably on list too but funds can't allow every mediocre player to be replaced.

I despise city with their feckin corrupt bullshit but Pep could sign a defender for stupid money and within 12 months he's has enough and wants him out the door. I know it's easy for city to do that but that should be how it goes.

Few performance threads and you see people saying "oh it's his season now I fully believe hes gonna smash it this season", only to be served up the same old shit.

ETH is cut throat and it's what we need. You play like a dick, you'll be out the door. Simples as that.
The trouble is people expect us to get the same kind of money for players that rivals get

OverratedOpinion

He's absolutely feckin garbage, always has been
Complete nonsense.

It's amazing that Caicedo is a world class player who so many on here are heartbroken to be missing out on. Yet Fred is garbage despite his stats being nearly identical to Caicedo during the first 4 years he was here.

Devil You Know

Honestly people complaining about 10m for Fred deserve Fred football for 10 more years. A year left on his contract, 30 year old, 100k a week and average to boot. Some of you needed a reality check in the constant overrating of his “quality”. It’s a good deal for all sides.
He's a poor player. £10m includes the cachet of him being a former Brazilian international. In terms of quality, he's worth even less.

OverratedOpinion

He's a poor player.
I'll ask it again, if he's such a poor player why is it that for most of the time he's been here (every season apart from last season where his role changed) his stats have been so similar to Caicedo who people are falling over themselves to pay £100m for?

Passing, defensive and attacking stats.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I respect him for his effort and obvious love for the game. However, I'm glad I will not have to watch him as a United player again. He was just too average in ability in every aspect. Good luck Fred.

Dempsey19

Complete nonsense.

It's amazing that Caicedo is a world class player who so many on here are heartbroken to be missing out on. Yet Fred is garbage despite his stats being nearly identical to Caicedo during the first 4 years he was here.
Caicedo aside, not ever comparing them because it's pointless to do so. Watching Fred is absolute torture how can you come up with anything else ?? I don't understand it at all, it's the Fred ****, he wouldnt look out of place at Everton yet we expect him to be a good squad player for us.

It's unbelievably delusional. £50m player that cant shoot, cant pass, 50 touches before he has it under control, shits himself when under pressure, can't tackle etc etc etc.

I'd love a poll on this one, surely Im not the only one who saw what he offered.

Tarrou

Caicedo aside, not ever comparing them because it's pointless to do so. Watching Fred is absolute torture how can you come up with anything else ?? I don't understand it at all, it's the Fred ****, he wouldnt look out of place at Everton yet we expect him to be a good squad player for us.

It's unbelievably delusional. £50m player that cant shoot, cant pass, 50 touches before he has it under control, shits himself when under pressure, can't tackle etc etc etc.

I'd love a poll on this one, surely Im not the only one who saw what he offered.
I’m with you he isn’t good enough but you’re describing bad Fred only which is a bit unfair on him

bad Fred has about 10 games a season for us

okay Fred has around 20 games

turbo Fred shows up for about 4 or 5 games

December_16

Why is there even a debate on Fred now? He’s gone, and for a good reason. The only thing to say now is “Thanks for the memories, Fred”

Lee565

I wouldn't normally would not have complained about this fee but after caicedo for 110 million and paqueta for about 100 million then yeah 10 million is super low

OrcaFat

He’s not garbage. To say so is just mean-spirited.

Sure, he was not good enough to justify his place as a starter in most games but he contributed quite a bit, here and there, especially when deployed to his best advantage. Factoring in the amount we’ve been able to sell him for, he has been about as good as you expect for £47m.

Marcelinho87

Makes me chuckle people here saying we're selling too low and how they'd be great for other clubs, Maguire and now Fred...

Yet only a flicker of interest from the mighty West Ham and Fenerbache for these two amazing players....

goalscholes

Don’t talk shite. If clubs really wanted him then they’d pay more.

He’s worth what others will pay. Apparently that’s around £13 million.
He’s worth what others will pay AND what United will sell him for. If we were selling Caceido and he wanted to go, we’d have given up at 60m.

Our negotiating team is slow and useless. We constantly sell quickly because we can only work on one thing at a time and it gives us more time to buy someone.

It’s amateur, and the reason clubs see us as a soft target.

OverratedOpinion

I'd argue the only **** are the ones who constantly call a very decent player "shit" or "terrible" despite all evidence to the contrary.

That's the reason I would bring up stats. Whilst I don't think they tell you everything about a player, the things you lot who act as though he is terrible say are always just over the top. "he can't pass a ball", "takes 50 touches before doing anything". It's all easily disproven.

You either hate him because for some reason he's become the face of our recent failings despite often being one of our better players. Or you're just going along with the tide.

Kag

He’s worth what others will pay AND what United will sell him for. If we were selling Caceido and he wanted to go, we’d have given up at 60m.

Our negotiating team is slow and useless. We constantly sell quickly because we can only work on one thing at a time and it gives us more time to buy someone.

It’s amateur, and the reason clubs see us as a soft target.
The Caicedo comparison is preposterous.

Fred has one year left on his contract, is on big wages, is 30, and isn’t really that good. The fee is absolutely normal for a bloke of that ilk.

You’re getting your knickers in a twist over nothing.

Polar

Would you rather firm at £20m and risk losing him for free? Or do you the bullet and take something like £12m for him? That’s an easy answer. £12m is a lot of money for us cause we are shit at selling.
Maybe I can agree the price is fair, but I just disagree with the person claiming we got a VERY GOOD price for Fred.

We are shit selling and other clubs know we are desperate about off-loading players. United will never get a very good price for any players these days.

…. but I support the sale of Fred. Because right now getting rid of players is more important than conducting very good deals money wise.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’m with you he isn’t good enough but you’re describing bad Fred only which is a bit unfair on him

bad Fred has about 10 games a season for us

okay Fred has around 20 games

turbo Fred shows up for about 4 or 5 games
The correct pronouns are good or bad Fred not turbo.

OverratedOpinion

The Caicedo comparison is preposterous.

Fred has one year left on his contract, is on big wages, is 30, and isn’t really that good. The fee is absolutely normal for a bloke of that ilk.

You’re getting your knickers in a twist over nothing.
Well it'd be silly to say he's better than Ceicedo because he's not but when you look at the numbers over most of the time Fred has been here compared to the premier League record transfer it sort of dispels this notion that he's rubbish which is based mostly on some weird gut feeling.

Fred's first 4 seasons at Utd per 90

Passes 67.49
Pass Accuracy 86.22%
Progressive Passes 6.53
Progressive Carries 1.16
Touches 79.6
Tackles 2.71
Interceptions 1.51
Blocks 1.9
Ball Recoveries 9.03
Shot Creating Actions 2.9

Caicedo's season that's made him worth the Premier League transfer record per 90

Passes 65.41
Pass Accuracy 88.6%
Progressive Passes 6.41
Progressive Carries 1.09
Touches 74.63
Tackles 2.87
Interceptions 1.61
Blocks 1.23
Ball Recoveries 7.11
Shot Creating Actions 2.52

Eric_the_Red99

Well it'd be silly to say he's better than Ceicedo because he's not but when you look at the numbers over most of the time Fred has been here compared to the premier League record transfer it sort of dispels this notion that he's rubbish which is based mostly on some weird gut feeling.

Fred's first 4 seasons at Utd per 90

Passes 67.49
Pass Accuracy 86.22%
Progressive Passes 6.53
Progressive Carries 1.16
Touches 79.6
Tackles 2.71
Interceptions 1.51
Blocks 1.9
Ball Recoveries 9.03
Shot Creating Actions 2.9

Caicedo's season that's made him worth the Premier League transfer record per 90

Passes 65.41
Pass Accuracy 88.6%
Progressive Passes 6.41
Progressive Carries 1.09
Touches 74.63
Tackles 2.87
Interceptions 1.61
Blocks 1.23
Ball Recoveries 7.11
Shot Creating Actions 2.52
It’s interesting how in this stat-obsessed age, where so much football discourse is basically people throwing numbers at each other over the internet, actually watching matches and basing your opinions on the evidence of your own eyes is now dismissed as a ‘weird gut feeling’.

OverratedOpinion

It’s interesting how in this stat-obsessed age, where so much football discourse is basically people throwing numbers at each other over the internet, actually watching matches and basing your opinions on the evidence of your own eyes is now dismissed as a ‘weird gut feeling’.
No the eye test is ultimately still most important. The problem is that my eye test says Fred has been good far more than not since signing for us.

Someone else will then say they disagree which is fine. But then people take it too far and say he's a bad player which he's clearly not, or that he can't pass the ball which he clearly can.

That is "the gut feeling" the things that blatantly aren't true and only get rolled out because it's been popular to hate Fred. That is where stats are handy to dispel ideas like him not being able to pass a football.

Woodzy

Glad he’s gone. Was never a fan and felt like he only really did well when we were already cruising, with the occasional great performance.

theatreofdreams777

I don't understand how people are so happy with this; Fred was more than good enough for a squad player role. He was criminally underrated and the least of our worries but some are celebrating it like we got rid of all of our problems.

How can we say we're improving our squad when we sign the likes of Mount who is a downgrade for a lot of money. It's like summer 2019 when we sold Smalling for peanuts and signed Maguire for a record fee.

I'm sorry but we're still awful in both selling & buying in the transfer market.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't understand how people are so happy with this; Fred was more than good enough for a squad player role.
Not if we want to improve.

He was a chaotic coin toss of a player. You never knew if he was going to play well or be unable to make the most basic passes. His bottom level was atrocious and his top level wasn't that good.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I don't understand how people are so happy with this; Fred was more than good enough for a squad player role. He was criminally underrated and the least of our worries but some are celebrating it like we got rid of all of our problems.

How can we say we're improving our squad when we sign the likes of Mount who is a downgrade for a lot of money. It's like summer 2019 when we sold Smalling for peanuts and signed Maguire for a record fee.

I'm sorry but we're still awful in both selling & buying in the transfer market.
Fred’s minutes will likely go to youth players like Mainoo or Hannibal.

I agree, Fred is not a bad player, but he was no game changer, wrong side of 30, high wages and on the last year of his contract. We were not going to offer him another, so getting a fairly decent fee and his wages off the books is a solid deal.

Seeing Mainoo or Hannibal coming on in the last 10 minutes will be a lot more exciting as fan than seeing Fred.

fps

I liked Fred. Thought he was poorly served by managers who hadn’t really thought about how to use him best, and he could have been so much more for us. Was consistently played in a position that didn’t really suit him and can see why it’s time to move him on. He really cared, gave his all, and I wish him well.

Møllemanden

Thank you! It's the DDG debate all over again. I don't give a rats behind that he won the golden glove. It was clear for all to see that he was and has been over the hill for some time now. The same goes for Fred. He is a weak link and i've never rated him. I accept that not all players are Roy Keanes and Paul Scholes'. But it bothers me how Fred is always wobbling around looking like a cheerful idiot - sorry for the language. Even when we're behind, I see him with that ridiculous grin on his face. I'm so happy that he won't be here to annoy me this season.

Sorry, Fred. I'm sure you're a nice guy.

OverratedOpinion

Not if we want to improve.

He was a chaotic coin toss of a player. You never knew if he was going to play well or be unable to make the most basic passes. His bottom level was atrocious and his top level wasn't that good.
False.

A myth perpetuated by those who needed a scapegoat for our failure over the last few years. his passing success rate for his first 4 seasons was in the 90th percentile in Europe.

Rauður Djöfull

Always liked his persona, had good moments and played good when good. However way to inconsistent and his low levels were extremely low. Especially for the price given at the time.

Hoped for more but at least we keep on shifting players out

Redstain

He's been one of the best players from the disarray of the last decade. Not because of his quality obviously but in a club where the different teams mentality under various managers has been uncompetitive, lazy and lackluster Fred has always been honest with his performances. Even when he kept losing the ball on the half turn and even caused the team to concede from it he still made himself available. Put in the effort and was a workhorse.

zaafi

The problem with "eye test" is that most fans are amateurs when it comes to assessing a player's performance, abilities or potential, and will largely form their opinion based on how they did a few minutes of a game, rather than during the whole game.

Some fans will see Bruno mispassing and it goes directly to an opponent and claim he had a shit performance, and on the other hand you have fans who claim he had a great game for creating 3 chances, despite not having a good game overall.

You have fans who think Kvaratskhelia is a better footballer than Mahrez has been for Leicester in their Premier League winning season and for City, which personally I find laughable.

Statistics are there and can defend claims that Fred has been shit for us and that he can't pass. Of course he can, he is a Premier League midfielder who has played a huge role in a team that has finished 3rd twice, 2nd and 6th twice during his time here. His problem has always been inconsistency.

We've seen Fred run the show against PSG's midfield and City's midfield. We've not seen Caicedo do it. Now, I'm not saying Fred is better than Caicedo, but they share a lot of similarities. Had Fred been as strong as Caicedo, he'd be a much better midfielder. Caicedo is a better passer and in possession, but not much better in other aspects.
Fred has also been used wrong here, which has made him look worse than he is. Don't forget that Pep was also very interested in signing him, and he would have if we hadn't swooped in.

He did have some wonderful performances, some decent ones, and then some absolute painful ones to watch.

BorisManUtd

I think one of his lowest moments was vs Wolves in August 2021. We actually won that game as we were super lucky but with McTominay injured and no other midfielder available Fred had to play as lone DM and that was never going to work. He's not a DM and feels like he had to play in that position or next to McTominay (who is not a DM either) and it wasn't ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.