Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

One down, onto the next one. Dalot by Wed, hopefully.

Then I'd be happy enough with a top-class LB like Sandro and one other - can't see us getting more than that.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Baby baby, introduce yourself
What's your name, girl?
My name is Fred
Fred?
Fred, yeah
Fred, a'what a'what did you say?
Now that put me back a bit 'cos I'm not gay

Gbenger

Find it hard to get excited about any signings with Jose as our manager.
Don’t worry, I believe you will have the last laugh.

The people telling you to feck off will soon be gnashing their teeth after this guy amounts to nothing special under Jose just like almost every player he brings in.

You might even end up having to comfort them once they start wailing. ;)

RedCurry

Can someone explain to me how Craig Norwood, who is presumably hired by Man Utd, openly discloses transfer news before club's official announcement?

EyeInTheSky

But they're worse than any player Liverpool will buy so..
Yep, players, they have never heard of nor seen play or have watched them a few times on youtube highlights and somehow they are an expert above everyone else including managers and large-scale international scouting systems. Opinions are opinions fair enough as that is all we as fans have to go on based on limited info but to arbitrarily decide that a player is better because of pool or city trying to buy them. Notice how when City were after Fred there were "he is the type of player we should be after our recruitment is shite" then City fail to get him and move onto someone else and we look like signing him instead and its "not excited by this signing" or whoever City have moved onto is the flavour of the month "player x is the best ever".

Unless someone is obviously amazing as a player I find it difficult to believe that there are so many that could have possibly seen all or most of the games from so many players while still being able to watch the players for the teams they support especially since most of those games are not televised and we are reduced to watching youtube snippets. There are simply not enough hours of the day even if you never slept a minute of your life and even then it's a subjective opinion. Even players that are exceptional in one place don't make it when they move. These players are few and far between which is why they are so sought after. It is hard enough for managers and scouts who do this day in and day out for their livelihoods to predict if a player will be successful let alone us armchair experts.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Can someone explain to me how Craig Norwood, who is presumably hired by Man Utd, openly discloses transfer news before club's official announcement?
He is a freelance photographer from what I've read. Not tied to a contract that would prevent him from saying anything.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
At this point, the club are surely aware of it and probably have no problem with him doing so. They're likely limited in what they can say publicly until something is official but since he is technically a freelancer, this still allows them to build up hype about deals on social media before the official announcement. I'm sure the club benefits from it.

Camilo

Loads of good signings under Jose, we just need a manager to come in and make them play football.

EyeInTheSky

Is he that good?
Well, he brings to the table something we don't have at a top level. So in that sense, he would be great for us. He is very good at what he does so I guess the answer is yes. You never know if that will translate in the squad/on the pitch or if there will be some adjustments around him to integrate his play or how that will work out. He adds missing skills and nouse to our team so fingers crossed.

Chairman Woodie

I can't say I'm happy, sad, or even excited about the signing. I've never seen Fred play. I honestly don't think I had heard of him until he was linked to Man City.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Can he take a good corner??

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So excited about this signing. Not the biggest name out there but I believe Fred is going to improve us a lot.

TheReligion

Abusive
How much have you actually watched of them? From your posts it seems like you've been Fred's biggest fan for years and years.

I have no idea. I have barely watched them. I was responding to the implication about fair price. If 52m is fair for Fred, and 57m or something is fair for Keita, then it follows that Keita is slightly better.

I thought he had a €50m release clause or something.
No one said £57+m was fair for Keita but Liverpool have inflated the market by paying it, along with another £45m for Fabinho.

As such I think the £48m we are paying for Fred is a fair price and market value.

I've seen a bit of him yeah. He's going to be good.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Reminds me a little bit of when we signed MC. Low profile player whit lots of off the ball qualities.

I haven’t seen Fred more then a couple of CL games but I trust both City and Uniteds scouting teams. I hope for the best as allways when we sign new players. Welcome Fred!!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
At this point, the club are surely aware of it and probably have no problem with him doing so. They're likely limited in what they can say publicly until something is official but since he is technically a freelancer, this still allows them to build up hype about deals on social media before the official announcement. I'm sure the club benefits from it.
Yeah, I mean by the time time he releases his information it's an open secret anyway.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So....I've been out of the muppet loop.
Is Fred any good?
I'm not feeling the excitement on this one.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
This one:

Sorry but I disagree with this. The golden rule of football when it comes to transitions, is that the ball can always move faster than a player. Meaning that you don’t have to be fleet of foot to be excellent in the transition. You just have to use the ball well. Obviously in forward positions you need pace to capitalise on this to a certain degree. During some of our finest transition years we had players like Carrick, and Cantona at the heart of our teams. Neither being particular fast. Especially Carrick. But their brains and passing made the transition flow.

In fact United had Carrick and Scholes through the middle, neither of whom are fast. But they used the ball quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

I think the much bigger issue is the movement of our front players. Fergie’s teams always stretched the pitch, made runs in behind and were typified by clever fluid movement of the front players. Mourinho’s United has been largely absent width and dynamic movement. Often Matic will get his head up and find both wide forwards have come deep to get the ball, and one will have to carry it up field, allowing teams time to regroup. That destroys the transition IMO.

My favourite examples of brilliant transitions were with Rooney and Ronaldo. They were both always aware of where the other was, and constantly making runs and space for each other. When Carrick or Scholes picked up the ball in a counterattacking situation, you knew he had options spreading and exploding in front of him. So he had 2 or 3 possible outlets. Now we have Sanchez or Mata standing around the center circle. Lukaku, and Rashford when he plays, are the only ones who ever go in behind. Lingard sometimes.

The other thing missing is synchronicity. I remember having Scholes and Keane in midfield - I’ll pause while you wipe the drool from your chin - and you could genuinely say that they didn’t have clearly defined roles such as DM and AM. Scholes was naturally more creative, and Keane naturally more energetic, but they had this innate understanding that “if you go up, I stay back” and vice versa. That typifies a well functioning unit. The same could be said for Rooney and Ronaldo, or Yorke and Cole. If one came deep, the other made the run. Naturally in those scenarios Yorke and Rooney came deep more often, due to their skill sets, but the innate synchronicity was still there.

We lack that all over the field, especially in midfield. And that makes it too predictable. I think the lack of dynamic movement from Matic is the last in a long list of transition problems, because his use of the ball when options are open, is generally fast and excellent.

What’s perplexing about all of this, is that earlier in his career, Mourinho was famous for emphasising the importance of the transitional phase, I.e. a team’s success is dependent on their ability to turn defense into attack as quickly as possible, and attack back into defense equally as fast. He still excels in regrouping the defensive shape better than any other coach, maybe Simeone aside, in the world IMO. But his attacking transitions look disconnected these days. Maybe he is being out coached, and out dated, but really these are time tested and simple principles. I think the truth is that he’s become increasingly conservative as a coach and just doesn’t do the work on the training ground required to build a cohesive counter attacking unit. Like all of all I am wondering if the addition of McKenna will help.

Finally, it explains Jose’s obsession with multi talented players. A player like Martial, who can be excellent in the attacking transition, doesn’t do the reverse transition anywhere near as well. Willian, in contrast does. It’s also why he loves Lingard. He has that balance to transition both ways very diligently. The problem for us, is that the type of player who is excellent at defensive transitions, is rarely the best at attacking ones.

We’ll have to see what this summer’s recruitment brings.
That's a great post especially the point you mentioned about movement of players under Fergie,Darren Fletcher who wasn't the most skillful of players we had was able to follow the game plan in the team with regards to creating space via movement and execute it brilliantly with the team.I think we currently have more skillful players in the team than Fletcher but are failing miserably with regards to creating space and movement which is probably down to JMs tactics or coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.