• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
This would be some window.

It's not going to happen of course, and it lunacy to suggest it might, but what a window it would be.

Still gutted about Frenkie. Quote me on this, I see him in a Chelsea shirt by 1st September sadly. Going to be a crazy end to window.
He won't join Chelsea. I think that would of already happened by now, especially as Barca are in close contact with them over Auba, Alonso and Azpi (thankfully we have moved on from Alonso). Chelsea interest really showed us a glimpse into Frenkie's thinking imo as he's been very quiet about this situation. They will bid ONLY when he gives them the green light and as it stands, that light is bright red. Both United and Chelsea will pay his deferred wages and I would guess Frenkie knows this, so don't think that's the issue anymore.

Everyone is tired of this saga but I think it will rear it's ugly head again next summer unless Xavi is sacked before then OR he pulls his head out of his arse and sees Busquets cannot be a starter anymore.

FatTails

He’s ours. They’re running out of palancas. Patience, fellow muppets. There’s gonna be a flurry of transfer activity this week.

Jam

It’s an odd one, and my reading of the situation could be totally off base and is total speculation based on what we’ve seen.

The original intention was to build our transfer window around De Jong; he was target one and the players around him would be dependent on signing him, henceforth we held off making other proper moves because of his contract situation dragging on.

I would say Eriksen was regardless of De Jong - he was an experienced versatile midfield option that was available so we acted. Similarly with Malacia, a player ETH admired and was available cheaply to provide depth and to move on Telles.

Embarrassing start to the season, and the transfer window closing looming we couldn’t afford to keep planning around De Jong and be left with nothing at the last moment so we moved on to Plan B in terms of spending big on an actual holding midfielder and acting on other positions.

I don’t think Casemiro is “instead” of De Jong, I think it is us acting despite De Jong. We’re planning and acting based on in all likelihood De Jong isn’t coming. But I still believe we’ll have a best case scenario in mind where we get De Jong still, so we have left the door open and the deal is all there on the table but we aren’t actively pursuing it and just hands off and setting up for the season anyway. It’s why we’ve spent bigger on a proper holding midfield rather than a DLP - where it would essentially kill the point of getting De Jong.

I don’t believe the board want to fully invest in both Casemiro and De Jong but aren’t against it if the situation falls that way.

My own personal opinion? We don’t get him. He stays at Barcelona to fight for his place and get his money. He spends the season in a mixed situation with the board/fans both appreciating his output but also frustrated he wasn’t a martyr for their financial future.

TL;DR Casemiro isn’t instead of De Jong, it is us planning and acting accordingly around the scenario De Jong doesn’t come. While we aren’t actively pursuing De Jong the deal left on the table and the door open for a best case scenario we end up getting him.

SAF is the GOAT

Let them keep him

By the time we'll get to January - They'll sell him in any price we want, just not to keep pay him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It’s an odd one, and my reading of the situation could be totally off base and is total speculation based on what we’ve seen.

The original intention was to build our transfer window around De Jong; he was target one and the players around him would be dependent on signing him, henceforth we held off making other proper moves because of his contract situation dragging on.

I would say Eriksen was regardless of De Jong - he was an experienced versatile midfield option that was available so we acted. Similarly with Malacia, a player ETH admired and was available cheaply to provide depth and to move on Telles.

Embarrassing start to the season, and the transfer window closing looming we couldn’t afford to keep planning around De Jong and be left with nothing at the last moment so we moved on to Plan B in terms of spending big on an actual holding midfielder and acting on other positions.

I don’t think Casemiro is “instead” of De Jong, I think it is us acting despite De Jong. We’re planning and acting based on in all likelihood De Jong isn’t coming. But I still believe we’ll have a best case scenario in mind where we get De Jong still, so we have left the door open and the deal is all there on the table but we aren’t actively pursuing it and just hands off and setting up for the season anyway. It’s why we’ve spent bigger on a proper holding midfield rather than a DLP - where it would essentially kill the point of getting De Jong.

I don’t believe the board want to fully invest in both Casemiro and De Jong but aren’t against it if the situation falls that way.

My own personal opinion? We don’t get him. He stays at Barcelona to fight for his place and get his money. He spends the season in a mixed situation with the board/fans both appreciating his output but also frustrated he wasn’t a martyr for their financial future.

TL;DR Casemiro isn’t instead of De Jong, it is us planning and acting accordingly around the scenario De Jong doesn’t come. While we aren’t actively pursuing De Jong the deal left on the table and the door open for a best case scenario we end up getting him.
I think your reading of the situation is correct. Strategy options A and B

croadyman

Wonder if Utd will go all Ronaldo to City hijack mode if they sense he's open to leaving Barca for Chelsea. I very much doubt it happens but just throwing it out there

sglowrider

Wonder if Utd will go all Ronaldo to City hijack mode if they sense he's open to leaving Barca for Chelsea. I very much doubt it happens but just throwing it out there
Do we need another midfield foil for Casemiro or a striker more desperately?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Camped this thread like an idiot waiting for him to sign and then out of nowhere Casemiro is officially announced in a day.
What a joke.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This thread has been a joke for a long time. Should’ve been closed ages ago. Hopefully now it can die a death, until there is news. IF there is news.

croadyman

Do we need another midfield foil for Casemiro or a striker more desperately?
IF Ronaldo stays then midfield foil for me who can keep possession but also progress ball through the middle, however IF he leaves then it's a more interesting discussion.

TypeR

I think your reading of the situation is correct. Strategy options A and B
That’s assuming that there is an actual, properly planned out, strategy. The fact that a Rabiot bid was on the table and made it to personal terms discussions before we went all in for Casemiro leads me to think that there isn’t.

My take is, the FdJ stand-off and how we’ve been steamrolled to the bottom of the table caused knee jerks. Plan B seemed to always have been Rabiot. Casemiro popped up after, probably through his agent or whoever it was who realised that it’s time to cash in while United are desperate and Madrid sorted for the future with Camavinga and Tchouameni.

sglowrider

That’s assuming that there is an actual, properly planned out, strategy. The fact that a Rabiot bid was on the table and made it to personal terms discussions before we went all in for Casemiro leads me to think that there isn’t.

My take is, the FdJ stand-off and how we’ve been steamrolled to the bottom of the table caused knee jerks. Plan B seemed to always have been Rabiot. Casemiro popped up after, probably through his agent or whoever it was who realised that it’s time to cash in while United are desperate and Madrid sorted for the future with Camavinga and Tchouameni.
Not so sure that Rabiot is anyone's Plan B considering his meh performances the past few years.

WPMUFC

i understand if the move becomes impossible then what can you do. However what is coming out is not that we were told he has refused to come, it's "well they've bought Casemiro so they won't spend 80+ m on two midfielders". The briefings post-casemiro have nothing to say about FDJ having told ETH to stop pushing for it, or just flat refusing to join us.

But then I read not only have we gone back for Antony, we are considering going close to Ajax's "feck off" price. Why aren't we considering putting Antony funds in to solve the FDJ-Barca dispute? Why are we not just going "feck it, pay FDJ's wages, make him a top 3 wage earner and get it done"??? :confused:

Why can an obvious panic signing, someone that was not even hinted at in the off season, get a massive fee and wage sorted in 24 hours, but we then refuse to solve the FDJ dispute?

FDJ has been our entire window, but now we are in panic-mode, we can find a way to overpay for a Madrid legend and overpay for a prospect winger....but FDJ's issues with Barca are a bridge too far? If you're going to go full panic, then at least get the damn guy you wanted the entire window. FFS.

TheLord

Casemiro and FDJ transfers in the same window doesn't make any economic sense from the Glazers' perspective, especially that both players are "similari-sh". We need a goalscorer more than anyone else now.

Bestie07

i understand if the move becomes impossible then what can you do. However what is coming out is not that we were told he has refused to come, it's "well they've bought Casemiro so they won't spend 80+ m on two midfielders". The briefings post-casemiro have nothing to say about FDJ having told ETH to stop pushing for it, or just flat refusing to join us.

But then I read not only have we gone back for Antony, we are considering going close to Ajax's "feck off" price. Why aren't we considering putting Antony funds in to solve the FDJ-Barca dispute? Why are we not just going "feck it, pay FDJ's wages, make him a top 3 wage earner and get it done"??? :confused:

Why can an obvious panic signing, someone that was not even hinted at in the off season, get a massive fee and wage sorted in 24 hours, but we then refuse to solve the FDJ dispute?

FDJ has been our entire window, but now we are in panic-mode, we can find a way to overpay for a Madrid legend and overpay for a prospect winger....but FDJ's issues with Barca are a bridge too far? If you're going to go full panic, then at least get the damn guy you wanted the entire window. FFS.
At this point I feel that it is about more than the deferred wages. Looking at the way we are now throwing money about, we are desperate and would have offered to cover the amount if he was really open to joining, considering he was our biggest priority. Looks like we've been strung along as pawns by Barca and the player in their tiff.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Casemiro and FDJ transfers in the same window doesn't make any economic sense from the Glazers' perspective, especially that both players are "similari-sh". We need a goalscorer more than anyone else now.
They are nowhere near "similari-sh".

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This thread has been a joke for a long time. Should’ve been closed ages ago. Hopefully now it can die a death, until there is news. IF there is news.
Romero with a "Things are happening" tweet incoming.

StonedhamsterZA

Based on the speed of the Casemiro signing (I know, slightly different context), it seems that Barca are really the ones giving us the runaround here (I know, no big revelation).

If it took all of 3 days to get the Brazilian in, then clearly Arnold/Murtough can’t be all that bad, regardless of all the ridicule that’s been directed at them. I’m not saying they’re completely blameless, but this FdJ spectacle must be especially toxic.

Castia

Feel sorry for all those poor bastards who still thought this was on after 3 months and FdJ letting it be known that he has no intention if living in Manchester or leaving Barce at least 6 times during the summer :lol:

Of course it makes fecking sense. Right now we look a mile away from CL qualification, and it certainly doesn't look a one man solution.

If they wanna ensure CL for the next few years, and economically they absolutely do, they need to make this a massive window. There's no illusion now that just good coaching will do it, it's be a mixture of new and better players, and the coach.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
That’s preposterous considering we’re about to spend €80M + €20M in bonuses for Antony.

Money is there and the Glazers are for lack of a better term, panicking that we are gonna miss out on UCL again. We’re spending BIG these next 2 weeks. Antony, another CM, a RV and. A GK is what EtH wants and he’s gonna get them I suspect.

Laurie Whitwell has obviously been briefed by the club. He's stated the pursuit is now over.
Which arguably means it’s not. The club rarely comes out to deny things. Which could mean it’s posturing from the club. Or we have actually given up and will come back in Jan/Next Summer

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Laurie Whitwell has obviously been briefed by the club. He's stated the pursuit is now over.
No one has explicitly stated it's over, as with Rabiot or Arnautovic for instance. Which is the strange thing for me, because all briefings from our side say it's highly unlikely, but not called off yet.

I think it's a case of Frenkie not having answered us, and the club now don't expect an answer. But if Barca are forced to sell him in the next 2 weeks, I think we'll still go for it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Feel sorry for all those poor bastards who still thought this was on after 3 months and FdJ letting it be known that he has no intention if living in Manchester or leaving Barce at least 6 times during the summer :lol:
Sorry when were these 6 times? If you could link me to the 6 quotes he made?

Dr. StrangeHate

Then why did the brief just come now.

He hasn't done any such thing.

6 fecking times :lol:

Still believe Barca will be forced to sell before the window closes.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You’re honestly going to argue the De Jong chase hasn’t been a complete embarrassment? Good luck.
In what way has it been a “complete embarrassment”?
Jumping in a pool and your trunks falling down, or shitting yourself in public are embarrassing.
Going for your priority footballer whilst there’s a chance is far from that

Laurencio

I hear words such as "more than difficult", "unlikely", "standby", "doubtful". But I don't hear "impossible", "withdrawn", "stopped pursuing".

I'm willing to go into conspiracy mode until deadline day. de Jong or not, we need another midfielder.

Rob Bowman

In what way has it been a “complete embarrassment”?
Jumping in a pool and your trunks falling down, or shitting yourself in public are embarrassing.
Going for your priority footballer whilst there’s a chance is far from that
I would argue the trunks coming down is unfortunate, but nothing to get yourself worked up about.

The shitting yourself in public is definitely embarrassing :eek:!!

In all seriousness, I am not embarrassed by our actions.

I think Barca have a shit show on their hands. It will amaze me if down the road, they do not have some serious consequences for their current actions!

Status
Not open for further replies.