Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember the geese

Has he been wrong recently? I dont remember him getting something big wrong so far.

I mean it is always easier to deny, but he has not embarrassed himself so far.
No, I think he's pretty much on the money. He'll keep his cards close to his chest, until things become a lot more obvious.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Correct, though with that said, he still has good sources and good info.
He does that. My inner muppet is just working overtime hoping for it to be true so all my money is going on Romero and to be fair he has got very little wrong the last few years.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
why would the info come from the barca side if it wasn’t true? makes no sense really.

I assume it’s been leaked a bit early so we’re putting a calm to it before it’s done and dusted

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There is info out there Barca need to sell by end of June.

Which is perfect for us since it gives us our famous 6 weeks to close a transfer and he'll be back for pre-season.

I'm 100% on board with this now and the biggest factor is that ten Hag is our manager. Much easier to get a player to come to a new place headed by a boss he's been successful in the past.

Vapor trail

why would the info come from the barca side if it wasn’t true? makes no sense really.

I assume it’s been leaked a bit early so we’re putting a calm to it before it’s done and dusted
Romero from what I recall is an astute source. I also highly doubt that unless Shrager has a personal contact in the hierarchy of United he can just message one of the senior members of the club at 11pm and get a briefing ? Sounds like rubbish.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Thanks to @M4YON in the Transfer Tweets thread:

Source:

Barcelona are practically trying to drive de Jong out. I guess the 95% is based on the fact that Barcelona can very easily complete this on their end if United indeed pursue the next steps.

Mr PG

De Jong is good but lots of free options in the market today I feel we should be going for. No need to pay £69m when there’s that much free talent in the market. De Jong lacks pace

Blood Mage

If a bidding war starts you'd think he'll pick a CL club over us but we'll see. High quality deep-lying playmakers are rare and lots of clubs will be interested if Barca are looking to sell.

Ten Hag would be an attraction for him obviously but I'm not sure it would be enough to persuade him to give up CL football.

M4YON

Thanks to @M4YON in the Transfer Tweets thread:

Source:

Barcelona are practically trying to drive de Jong out. I guess the 95% is based on the fact that Barcelona can very easily complete this on their end if United indeed pursue the next steps.
This isn't a bad deal for all involved. Barcelona's midfield is stacked and are expecting 2 more incoming players (Kessie and Torre) in the summer, plus Barcelona get 80 million in a tough financial time for them. I think there fans will be glad that they managed to keep Araujo and Pedri at the expense of Frenkie.

Still, wary of getting a player who doesn't want to leave his current club.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If he did somehow sign, I'd like to see something along the lines of:
Kamara
De Jong --- VdBeek
Bruno ------------------------ Sancho
Ronaldo/CF​
I wasn't really feeling this transfer for some reason, but seeing that...that looks like it might be alright.

Although Fernandes wide was shite except for that one game against Brentford and I think that's playing into my recency bias :).

Edit: It's probably not physical enough in the middle either, is it? :(
Edit #2 : Also VdB has looked shite in England, let's be honest....but I guess you could switch him and Fernandes and rotate the wide position. Could work. Tchouameni for Kamara would be the dream I think though, wouldn't it? :lol:
Edit #3 : The reactions on the Barcelona sub - here make me really want this. You can tell a lot when a fanbase really doesnt want to let a player go! :)

Kaushal

What a downer, hopes raised like that and crushed again so quickly. Ok caf, What about that Romero guy now ? File him under bullshitter tag. Never ever say he is so reliable, tier 1 and all that crap. Bloody drama queen. 95% done my arse.

El__Jingo

annoys me when people do these predicted line ups, we havent even ended the season.

just because Donny played apart for ETH at ajax doesnt mean hes guarantee'd to be apart of his team here too.

marktan

What happened to the manager no longer solely being in charge of transfers, like it was under Ole? Why are we suddenly close to singing everyone that's played under Ten Haag then?

70-80m for Frenkie I think is terrible value. Im happy to be proven wrong but I don't think he's been that great for Barca. Definitely better value options could be found

Widow

What about that Romero guy now ? File him under bullshitter tag. Never ever say he is so reliable, tier 1 and all that crap. Bloody drama queen. 95% done my arse.
More than likely he got feed the line from Barca. They are trying to get interest in a player they want to cash in on.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't think he will join us, because this will kill his chance of joining another top PL club in future (City).

He will stay at Barca, or wait a few years to join City, when they needed him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What happened to the manager no longer solely being in charge of transfers, like it was under Ole? Why are we suddenly close to singing everyone that's played under Ten Haag then?

70-80m for Frenkie I think is terrible value. Im happy to be proven wrong but I don't think he's been that great for Barca. Definitely better value options could be found
Even without the manager being in sole charge of transfers, the club are still recruiting players to suit the way the manager plays.

And obviously players who have already played for him fit that mold more certainly than pretty much any other players would. As long as they're of sufficient quality, there's no reason for the club not to target them.

And the ETH players we've been linked with (De Jong, Antony and Timber) are all of sufficiently high talent that the club would have been following them anyway.

KeanoMagicHat

De Jong is good but lots of free options in the market today I feel we should be going for. No need to pay £69m when there’s that much free talent in the market. De Jong lacks pace
Ah he’s not slow? Definitely not something I’d label him with compared to equivalent players in his position. And anyway his technique and football IQ are well up there, so the first few yards are in his head.

Kaushal

Do people here actually watch football ? I can’t believe what I’m reading here by some posters regarding de Jong. He lacks pace, physicality, not fit for pl, waste of money, go for free options etc. What the hell ?

Either they don’t know the attributes of de Jong or they don’t know what United need most. Have we devoloped a Stockholm syndrome after watching mcfred for years ? If there is one area that needs urgent strengthening it’s midfield and if there one midfielder who fits that perfect category of a midfielder we need desperately , it’s Frenkie de Jong. A rare dying breed of a midfielder of highest quality who can distribute, control, pass, playmake from deep. If you liked Michael carrick then think of de Jong as twice the player in terms of talent.

Have you all not watched us all these years not able to control even 20 minutes in a match ? Or not creating anything from deep ? Or sometimes not able to pass a ball ? Seems like some posters have become addicted to mcfred and Bruno’s utterly chaotic masterful invisible midfield art at display. De Jong isn’t the solution to all problems in midfield but he is the answer to the core part of that problem. I rate him even higher than Thiago and Verratti in terms of potential. I was hoping for Tielemens as a CM but if we can land de jong then bloody hell, I would happily see half of our budget spent on him given he wants to be here and play for us.

diarm

I wasn't really feeling this transfer for some reason, but seeing that...that looks like it might be alright.

Although Fernandes wide was shite except for that one game against Brentford and I think that's playing into my recency bias :).

Edit: It's probably not physical enough in the middle either, is it? :(
Edit #2 : Also VdB has looked shite in England, let's be honest....but I guess you could switch him and Fernandes and rotate the wide position. Could work. Tchouameni for Kamara would be the dream I think though, wouldn't it? :lol:
Edit #3 : The reactions on the Barcelona sub - here make me really want this. You can tell a lot when a fanbase really doesnt want to let a player go! :)
I just don't see a scenario whereby Tchouameni signs for us over all the other options he'll have this summer. But then I don't see that for Frenkie either.

Konrad Laimer would've been perfect to play alongside De Jong and ahead of Kamara, but then you're relying on De Jong for a lot more of the creative output.

In Rainbows

The type of players under one manager should continuously fit the next manager's sides. This is due to the plan set out by the director, who hires managers who fit the long term plan. So if a manager has a lot of weight (in regards to transfer), it does not matter unless it deters from the original plan.

What used to happen is there was no plan, so anything the manager bought would not necessarily fit what the next manager wants. Think about the styles of Moyes, to LVG, to Mou, to Ole. There was no consistent plan, and so it was terrible for managers to be allowed free reign. Any players bought by the previous manager could be completely useless for the next manager. That was the problem, which is different from now hopefully.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do people here actually watch football ? I can’t believe what I’m reading here by some posters regarding de Jong. He lacks pace, physicality, not fit for pl, waste of money, go for free options etc. What the hell ?

Either they don’t know the attributes of de Jong or they don’t know what United need most. Have we devoloped a Stockholm syndrome after watching mcfred for years ? If there is one area that needs urgent strengthening it’s midfield and if there one midfielder who fits that perfect category of a midfielder we need desperately , it’s Frenkie de Jong. A rare dying breed of a midfielder of highest quality who can distribute, control, pass, playmake from deep. If you liked Michael carrick then think of de Jong as twice the player in terms of talent.

Have you all not watched us all these years not able to control even 20 minutes in a match ? Or not creating anything from deep ? Or sometimes not able to pass a ball ? Seems like some posters have become addicted to mcfred and Bruno’s utterly chaotic masterful invisible midfield art at display. De Jong isn’t the solution to all problems in midfield but he is the answer to the core part of that problem. I rate him even higher than Thiago and Verratti in terms of potential. I was hoping for Tielemens as a CM but if we can land de jong then bloody hell, I would happily see half of our budget spent on him given he wants to be here and play for us.
Completely agree. Our team has been crying our for a playmaker for the last decade. We haven't had one since Carrick and Scholes which is shocking. Glad ETH is prioritizing this after so many mangers have not. Look at the below list and tell me who is a real passing/playmaking CM
Fred (chasing and harrying)
Matic (defensive midfielder, in his prime a decent passer but not a playmaker ans declined for us)
Schweiny (one of the greats but more box to box in his prime and nothing with us)
Schneiderlin (blah)
VDB (attacking midfielder, master at invisibility)
Bruno (attacking midfielder/plays like a forward)
Pogba (never the proper CM people though, clearly an attacking midfielder who is better away from the engine room)
From academy - Mctominay (rubbish)

So in all this time there really haven't been any signings geared towards playmaking and ball retention. While City have stocked up playmaker and Chelsea won a CL after adding Jorginho and Kovacic, we never cared for this as who needs good passing in midfield?

pillo o'culture

Supports
utub disliek button
Tbh i see him more of a b2b player. That's why Barca still reliant on Busquet or Pedri (since he has more awareness).
And thats Fred's spot if he signed for us.
Then again, i heard that ETH doesn't use a real 6. So if he thinks he's the right guy, I'm on board.. choo chooo

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Agreed. We should stop signing players who clearly don't want to come here. Half of our squad play like they're clinically depressed already.
I agree with that and I have posted it before. But lets ignore AdM for a moment. There are other players as well who didn't want to leave clubs. Ozil, Sanchez, Robben? Thiago Silva for Chelsea is another.

If the player has the right attitude then maybe things could work. AdM had one of the worst mentalities.

Cloud7

Agreed. We should stop signing players who clearly don't want to come here. Half of our squad play like they're clinically depressed already.
Sneijder and Robben were forced out of Madrid and they ended up flourishing for Inter and Bayern. Eto’o was used as a part of an exchange for Ibra and he flourished at Inter. Same with Sanchez being forced out of Barcelona and becoming one of the best players in the league for Arsenal.

How long are we going to say “but but but Di Maria” and use that as some kind of basis to not want to sign players being forced out by their clubs? Players are forced out by their clubs all the time.

Womp

idiot
Huge fan of FDJ but that's a huge sum that would take up a large part of our spending. In a market where there is a lot of free and affordable options, I'd stay away. Don't think he'd want to come here anyway, mind.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Fully agree. But point is, he won’t want to come here, and if reports are true, he doesn’t see us as a team he wants to join. Hence there will more negativity towards him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.