Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Only first team experience counts? Take your word for it mate.
Pretty sure negotiating an 80m euro transfer is very different to a 300k youth player. Also he wasnt exactly involved in the negotiations at youth level too. He hired the staff mainly

NZT-One

This is a slightly disingenuous Tweet from this bloke, to be honest. The example of Ronaldo isn't the same. He came here as a kid, improved, had a few excellent seasons then moved away in his prime. De Jong is already at a big club. A club where he wants to be and is basically "forced" to take a step down (as he would see it and many others would, too) to join a club that he doesn't want to be at. Now, the caveat here being is that I don't know for sure how true these reports are, but considering that nearly everyone who reports on this story echoes this "he doesn't want to leave" line I think we can give it some credence.

Also, it's not about being a fan. That's another dishonest argument. The vast majority of players are not fans of the clubs they play for. Everyone knows this. It's about looking at individual cases. In this case, it's only natural to be concerned about a player who is not leaving for another challenge, but because he basically has to leave. And, you also have to look at the club he's leaving for. We need players who are going to want to fight when shit goes south. And believe me, shit will go south at some point for us next season. Is he gonna be up for that fight at a club where he doesn't want to be at?

Maybe he will. Maybe he'll think "feck it, I'm here now, let's make the best of it". But it's only natural, as a fan, to be slightly concerned, particularly when this club hasn't given us any reason to think otherwise over the last decade or so.
Good post. Fully agree. Some United fans are so desperate to be able to have an actual worldclass player brought in to the club, that they let all the bias's work full force.

No, what we need is to commit to a deadline for the deal to go through and be ready to walk away if it's not met.

Barcelona are treating us like ***** because from their point of view, we're desperate enough to wait for De Jong. Until we stay firm with the deadline and act on it, most clubs will just think they can fleece us just like that did under Woodward and Judge's time.
Amen.

That's a fair point but possibly we don't have a better option.
So if your roof is leaking and you want the red material which availability is unclear but you know monsoon season is 3 weeks away, you keep it leaking for a year just hoping for red to be available again? If the chance is there that the FDJ doesn't go through than that effects the value of the option big time. We need improvements in midfield. Limiting our options to only FDJ makes a difficult task even more difficult for no apparent reason. Thats all what people say.

You seem very upset about something. Relax, it's Sunday.
Great showing of getting personal when no other arguments are there. Going to be a long summer.

nickm

We must be hopeful of a deal being possible as we would have moved on to a new target if that were not the case. I think we'll know more by the end of next week either way.
I think you are right. I would imagine the last thing United want to do really, is pay Barca more than his contract is worth just because Barca owe him money. How we fudge that, assuming we have any any appetite for it, or do it in a way that doesn't have knock ons elsewhere, should be interesting. Assuming that this is a crux of the problem of course.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
You are claiming to know more than the club who negotiating with the other club for the said player. I'm sure if they deal was dead and buried they have moved on a long time ago.

Even claiming he doesn't want to go, again no one knows but im sure he stated he opened to the move to either Hag or thru his agent. I can't imagine we actually negotiated a fee with Barca if their wasn't a green light coming from both the player and Barca, to even get to that advanced stage, but should walk away because you think we should.

You aren't privey to any of it.
I'm not claiming anything. It's my opinion.

On the other hand you are SURE he is open to the move and you are SURE if the deal was dead we'd have moved on.

What makes you so SURE ?

Are you ITK ?

nickm

Great showing of getting personal when no other arguments are there. Going to be a long summer.
There's just no point in getting so emotive about this, and putting in artificial barriers, when we are so far from the transfer deadline.

All that creating a fake deadline does is give your opponent a chance to put you under pressure to make concessions. It is silly.

arthurka

So when if they owe their players millions in unpaid wages they are still going around getting more players and offering them wages they can't pay. Makes sense.

We should make it dead then if that's really the case. He doesn't want to come here and he's using United as a fall back.

The other option is feck about with this all summer and be left empty handed
By all accounts we have 1 done, another awaiting medical, 1 “asking price” submitted and a deal in principle agreed with Barça for De Jong.

We could be left empty handed in deep CM, but:

a) De Jong is the best we could get, by some distance.
b) I don’t believe one player in one position will be any massive difference maker that elevates us from shit to ace, I’ve thought that too often the past years. Ten Hag’s coaching and the confidence in the side will matter much more.
c) the window closes in almost 8 weeks, if De Jong is dead at any point between now and then, we have plenty of time to bring in a plan B midfielder.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Pretty sure negotiating an 80m euro transfer is very different to a 300k youth player. Also he wasnt exactly involved in the negotiations at youth level too. He hired the staff mainly
He recruited pretty much the whole womens team too. He’s also been used in onboarding and chaperoning new signings. It’s all experience and it’s more than good old Ed ever did.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
What is De Jong's true market value? Or rather, what is his worth for us? How much of a difference would he make? Surely, in our current position, we can't pay hard ball.

Isn't he worth the agreed fee + deferred wages?

NZT-One

There's just no point in getting so emotive about this, and putting in artificial barriers, when we are so far from the transfer deadline.

All that creating a fake deadline does is give your opponent a chance to put you under pressure to make concessions. It is silly.
Think you misunderstood most people then: nobody talks about a fake deadline.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
By all accounts we have 1 done, another awaiting medical, 1 “asking price” submitted and a deal in principle agreed with Barça for De Jong.

We could be left empty handed in deep CM, but:

a) De Jong is the best we could get, by some distance.
b) I don’t believe one player in one position will be any massive difference maker that elevates us from shit to ace, I’ve thought that too often the past years. Ten Hag’s coaching and the confidence in the side will matter much more.
c) the window closes in almost 8 weeks, if De Jong is dead at any point between now and then, we have plenty of time to bring in a plan B midfielder.
Agree with you on your points.

As a team we've been here before and ended up with Fellaini

NZT-One

What is De Jong's true market value? Or rather, what is his worth for us? How much of a difference would he make? Surely, in our current position, we can't pay hard ball.

In my eyes, no. 80 Million is a lot, a player of his skills might be worth it but not for Manchester United right now as we have a number of problem areas and only a limited budget. I also think he isn't the sole answer of our midfield issues as we need a competent and mobile ballwinner as well.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
In my eyes, no. 80 Million is a lot, a player of his skills might be worth it but not for Manchester United right now as we have a number of problem areas and only a limited budget. I also think he isn't the sole answer of our midfield issues as we need a competent and mobile ballwinner as well.
But how much would we pay for Neves? Isn't FdJ worth more than Neves + 30 mil?

Agree with you on your points.

As a team we've been here before and ended up with Fellaini
I’m calm because we appear to be working on several other deals and not just focusing on De Jong, and because Ten Hag won’t do plan B - Fellaini.

If this deal goes through, brilliant. If not, so what, we’ve nothing to lose for me, maybe just a little time, but our plan B is going to be such a huge downgrade on De Jong regardless because of where we are right now as a club/team.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Maybe we should wait until the deadline day to see if we can negotiate a deal with Barca because 2 months isn't enough time innit?
If thats how long it takes to get the managers number one target, so be it. Or are you suggesting that we just don’t negotiate and then let other teams dictate how much we pay?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
You mean playing ‘pin the tail on the TOTY’ and signing the player it lands by isn’t the way to be successful?! Well shucks! Somebody buy EtH a reporters pad and pen quickly! He’s got lists to make!
Yes that's exactly what I meant :rolleyes:...let's go waste a whole summer dealing with Barcelona for a player who doesn't really want to join us instead.
We should have a plan B, I.e an alternative in case FDJ collapses.

ThanksBoss26

Yes that's exactly what I meant :rolleyes:...let's go waste a whole summer dealing with Barcelona for a player who doesn't really want to join us instead.
You'd hope that if we didn't have one before (which I hope we wouldn't be so stupid), we should be certainly be putting one together now in case.

saivet

I would say a fair price would be around £60m. Paying just over that is reasonable enough in my opinion, though given Barca's financial situation we shouldn't really need to.

NZT-One

But how much would we pay for Neves? Isn't FdJ worth more than Neves + 30 mil?
Good question. I don't know what Neves is supposed to cost, in the thread there is talk of 70 million which I consider as waaaaay to expensive. Last year there was talks about him being available for 40 million. I guess 45 would be my limit for him, so that we have around 25 to 30 to bring in a DM. Might be veteran like Gueye for example or some up and coming talent from Portugal, France, Ecuador or whatever. Frenkie surely would be a better footballer than both of the guys I'd bring in but a) I think only FDJ isn't the solution as we need someone competent in terms of defensive minded and b) it would divide the ever-present risk with all transfers of "just not working out" on to pairs of shoulders. In my eyes a DM opens up so many possibilities in terms of formations and pairings that I'd consider it actual negligence to not bring one in. Doesn't even have to be for the first team at all costs. But to have one as an option is imperative in my eyes.

If I get your sentiment right though: I agree with you, if FDJ is considered as that single-handed key to success then the club should just offer 10 million more and get it done with. But I'd follow the plan outlined above (not necessarily with Neves but someone with a comparable profile)

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Oh my goodness, what’s this new obsession around here for ‘Plan B’ - I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
Nobody can seriously suggest with all our data analysts, scouts and contact networks that we don’t have a list of alternative players in case this deal doesn’t materialise.
The reason we haven’t heard about it yet is because it’s not necessary yet. The club must have encouragement that FDJ will sign, we know Barca need to sell and Frenkie is the managers top target. When the deal is impossible we will hear about the next target. For goodness sake, it’s not that hard!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Good question. I don't know what Neves is supposed to cost, in the thread there is talk of 70 million which I consider as waaaaay to expensive. Last year there was talks about him being available for 40 million. I guess 45 would be my limit for him, so that we have around 25 to 30 to bring in a DM. Might be veteran like Gueye for example or some up and coming talent from Portugal, France, Ecuador or whatever. Frenkie surely would be a better footballer than both of the guys I'd bring in but a) I think only FDJ isn't the solution as we need someone competent in terms of defensive minded and b) it would divide the ever-present risk with all transfers of "just not working out" on to pairs of shoulders. In my eyes a DM opens up so many possibilities in terms of formations and pairings that I'd consider it actual negligence to not bring one in. Doesn't even have to be for the first team at all costs. But to have one as an option is imperative in my eyes.

If I get your sentiment right though: I agree with you, if FDJ is considered as that single-handed key to success that the club should just offer 10 million more and get it done with. But I'd follow the plan outlined above (not necessarily with Neves but someone with a comparable profile)
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense!

Bernardo Silva?
ha ha, wouldn’t come near us would he? :lol:

Who would of absolute top quality, unless they are doing it for the manager/club combo? When you answer that, you realise why we won’t be pulling out of this deal.
Getting our plan B, or C will be a piece of piss, because they won’t be a top rated footballer; we’ll be battling the likes of Villa or Lyon for his signature.

AndySmith1990

I would say a fair price would be around £60m. Paying just over that is reasonable enough in my opinion, though given Barca's financial situation we shouldn't really need to.
If we sign him and he's a huge success no one will care what we paid. It's only when players turn out to be outright shit or underwhelming that we then question the fee paid.

I can only imagine what the reaction would've been if social media was around back when we bought some of our greatest ever players from Nottingham Forest and Leeds for high fees

Status
Not open for further replies.