Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So weird how the UK media have gone so quiet on this deal for weeks now. I know they get their info from briefs within the club so if they're not reporting anything it's because the clubs not telling them anything but you'd think they'd of been something in response to everything that's still coming out of Spain

NZT-One

ha ha, wouldn’t come near us would he? :lol:

Who would of absolute top quality, unless they are doing it for the manager/club combo? When you answer that, you realise why we won’t be pulling out of this deal.
Getting our plan B, or C will be a piece of piss, because they won’t be a top rated footballer; we’ll be battling the likes of Villa or Lyon for his signature.
But this is the level we are at right now... I mean, I surely get your point but isn't now the time to be pragmatic and strive to stabilize our position and create a fundament to built future success on?

So weird how the UK media have gone so quiet on this deal for weeks now. I know they get their info from briefs within the club so if they're not reporting anything it's because the clubs not telling them anything but you'd think they'd of been something in response to everything that's still coming out of Spain
It’s because there’s nothing new, a stalemate.

Deal is negotiated between clubs, but nothing can happen either way until Barca and the player find a solution to the salary issue.

But this is the level we are at right now... I mean, I surely get your point but isn't now the time to be pragmatic and strive to stabilize our position and create a fundament to built future success on?
Isn’t that what Ten Hag is doing with the left back, Eriksen, Martinez etc?

And it’s what he’ll do if De Jong falls through, he’ll simply target a lesser player in that position to help us build.

Getting De Jong would be like taking a shortcut to Ten Hag-ball, but if he can’t get the shortcut, he’ll surely take something else.

Green_Red

Hope we are willing to take the same type of approach with some of our youngsters as Chelsea did with Mount and City did with Foden. We have a couple of good young midfielders that should be more than capable of some cameo appearances in the league and some of the early rounds of the league Cup. We need a midfielder, and have for a while, but would rather we get a decent one in than get a second rate midfielder that will take some of those opportunities away from our young lads.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Even as a basis for future success you still want to add the highest quality available. You aren’t going to achieve future success filling the squad with warm bodies.

NZT-One

And it’s what he’ll do if De Jong falls through, he’ll simply target a lesser player in that position to help us build.

Getting De Jong would be like taking a shortcut to Ten Hag-ball, but if he can’t get the shortcut, he’ll surely take something else.
We can only hope. What worries me (and many others it seems) it that time is not only ticking for Barca. It is also ticking for us and the clubs that currently have "our" alternatives. Because the later in the window the worse those deals will get.

All that without considering that it would be highly benefitial to give the squad as much time as possible before the season starts.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think you are right. I would imagine the last thing United want to do really, is pay Barca more than his contract is worth just because Barca owe him money. How we fudge that, assuming we have any any appetite for it, or do it in a way that doesn't have knock ons elsewhere, should be interesting. Assuming that this is a crux of the problem of course.
Yeah, the salary issue is clearly what's holding things up. I don't buy for a second that FDJ is reluctant to come to United, it's nonsense.

AndySmith1990

Even as a basis for future success you still want to add the highest quality available. You aren’t going to achieve future success filling the squad with warm bodies.
One thing that is often overlooked in player threads is the whole team aspect of football, and the possibility that the "lesser quality" players we sign could in fact form a team that performs to a higher level than the sum of its parts.

I mean you only have to look at Ajax to see that. We have United fans moaning that Ten Hag is only targeting players he knows and they don't want us to become Ajax, yet that Ajax team performs at a higher level than United and are a significantly better team despite being built at a fraction of the cost. I think we should trust the new manager to build a cohesive and functional team no matter what we think of potential signings as individuals

NZT-One

That would imply that only the best available players would improve us. Which I don't think is the case. Midfield is an issue for quite some time. And we lost 2 players in that area on top of all that. So if the question is whether to bring in one potentially very good player or two good ones, I think we are better off with two good ones as right now, we have only two 2.5 decent ones.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

Maybe, maybe not might be too late in the window by the time we get to that point

ThanksBoss26

Hope we are willing to take the same type of approach with some of our youngsters as Chelsea did with Mount and City did with Foden. We have a couple of good young midfielders that should be more than capable of some cameo appearances in the league and some of the early rounds of the league Cup. We need a midfielder, and have for a while, but would rather we get a decent one in than get a second rate midfielder that will take some of those opportunities away from our young lads.
Expect the young players will get more of an opportunity under this manager than under any of those we've had since van Gaal.

Esquire

But that’s not what the other guy is saying. You can say we should get FDJ, David Nunez, Harland etc but the brutal reality is that we are not competitive with the likes with Bayern, City or Liverpool. Elite players want to go there. They don’t want to come here because whether we admit it or not have been talent killers for the past few years. The highest quality we can get and build upon may not be the A listers. That’s not the same as saying we just fill the team with warm bodies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
4 weeks until the season starts is it?

I'd be confident that we're not so stupid as to not have a backup option, so I have a feeling we'll be getting very close to that stage now where something happens or we move on. Even if we're extremely confident of getting him, the fact that we haven't and there's issues out of our hands to resolve, means we will have to call it a day on this one soon enough. I'd imagine ETH will want 2 weeks minimum with a new signing to give them some prep at least. So this week really has to be the deadline.

I can't imagine we'd be happy to make any signings once the season has started and see that as an option here.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Oh my goodness, what’s this new obsession around here for ‘Plan B’ - I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
Nobody can seriously suggest with all our data analysts, scouts and contact networks that we don’t have a list of alternative players in case this deal doesn’t materialise.
The reason we haven’t heard about it yet is because it’s not necessary yet. The club must have encouragement that FDJ will sign, we know Barca need to sell and Frenkie is the managers top target. When the deal is impossible we will hear about the next target. For goodness sake, it’s not that hard!
It's happened before my friend. I hope we sign FDJ but we need a decision soon.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
This summer has been a combination of all the worst bits of our transfer strategy in the last decade, and we’re all just making excuses for it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He recruited pretty much the whole womens team too. He’s also been used in onboarding and chaperoning new signings. It’s all experience and it’s more than good old Ed ever did.
None of it is negotiating major transfers.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Tomorrow will be a good day - for a monday atleast.

NLunited

Eriksen is a shortcut, but we need help in the base of midfield as well. Martinez can play there if de Jong doesn‘t come, or we move for a secondary dlp target. Who that is I have no idea.

Malacia is a player to build on for sure.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why would Bernado Silva, or any top player for that matter, sign for a club that may not exist in a few years?
I'm not sure that concerns them too much, they fail to pay him, he walks away on a free for a massive sign on bonus; they go under, the same happens.

The only risk is a serious injury or lost in form coinciding with club going under.

Cal?

CR7 fan
What is De Jong's true market value? Or rather, what is his worth for us? How much of a difference would he make? Surely, in our current position, we can't pay hard ball.

Isn't he worth the agreed fee + deferred wages?
Surely in Barca's current position, they can't play hard ball?

AndySmith1990

Alternatively they’re just dithering idiots in the transfer market which they’ve proven time and time again
Never thought I'd see a club run worse than United, but Barcelona have somehow managed to do it convincingly

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Not just top teams. He also seems to be a back up for PSG as well.
You're right, might be a bit overkill for a club like United. Can I suggest Draxler to better match your ambitions?

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Never thought I'd see a club run worse than United, but Barcelona have somehow managed to do it convincingly
The only thing they currently have over us is a less competitive league (hence they're still in the CL) and being based in a warmer, nicer (?) city.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Hopefully he want to come to United. But if not. Another really good super creative and offensive option is Jude Bellingham. 19 years of age with a MV : 80 mill euros

Both of De Jong and Bellingham are high self confidence players. They have a belief they can dribble whole opponent team players.
And they do and able to dribbler past really many players.
And both of them have goals in them too. Both have good end product.

Yeah Ten Hag shall go for De Jong. But if in somehow. He is not coming. The next and really close to a top level of a creative and offensive player is Bellingham.
Only for Bellingham. The closest to the top level as possible. Not Tielemans United have been link too.
Tielemans is really good too. But i think and believe as the full packet. Both mentality, physical and ball skill and flair. Tielemans is not up there with De JOng and Bellingham.

If not De Jong. The best alternative option is Jude Bellingham. Like De JOng. Bellingham has a dominace presence. A dominant player. A player that take control and dictate a lot = Super creative and offensive.

Jude Bellingham is my best recomendation. Beside Frenkie De JOng Ten Hag and United are chasing.
Never heard of him, thanks for highlighting this guy.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Eriksen is a shortcut, but we need help in the base of midfield as well. Martinez can play there if de Jong doesn‘t come, or we move for a secondary dlp target. Who that is I have no idea.

Malacia is a player to build on for sure.
Remember that Eriksen is one year younger than De Bruyne and just as old as Salah.
Not bad for a free transfer if it materialises.

justsomebloke

This summer has been a combination of all the worst bits of our transfer strategy in the last decade, and we’re all just making excuses for it.
Pretty much this. Right now I doubt anyA-grade player wants to come here, and I also think we look less attractive now than a month ago.

SATA

Means nothing that he’s returning to training. Varane last season returned to pre season training too before we could agree a fee with Madrid. It’s the only professional thing to do. Ronaldo is just a cnut who refused to do this, ironically his so called ‘professional’ reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.