Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

He didn’t play in his best position. Obviously not looking at a title challenge but he is one of the most transformative players we could buy. Turning a weakness into a strength with one signing.
No point in arguing with some. We could buy prime Modric and some would find something to troll about.

MalaysianRed7

yes much earlier in the thread I said couldnt see any truth in rumours then and the fee would hinder us for the number of signings we need to make.

Same time DeJOng and DeLigt were way above the other talents in that Ajax side, I know Barca have finanical problems and youngsters coming through, alsi I havent watched a huge amount of Barca the last year or so....but he has always looek dgood when I have seen him. I thought he was absoltuely made for Barcelona the way he plays and someone actually capable of flling Xavis shoes to a degree.

So still cant believe it, but in terms of a midfield deep lying playmaker, I cant think of any better at the moment.

I fully aggree with you though....we certainly need a defensive midfielder as DeJOng fills a gap where we already haev McFred, Hannibal, Garner and a couple of youngsters maybe a season or two away. Huge upgrade on what we have currently though and wodner if Hannibal is an option further forward as back up to Fernandes......but if we sign DeJOng at least one of those players simply has to go, we dont need 5 central midfielders for one position and NONE still for the defensive midfield role.

Thats the concern for me, we sign DeJOng and a DM even say Kamara on a free.....may be a title contending midfield (if Fernandes can find consistent form and the DM siging is good, so still ifs and buts).....but then we still need a CB, still need a Rb etc etc etc, doesnt leave a huge amount and personally, I dont care who we sign 3/4 doesnt progress us enough....even with the likes of DeJOng...but little doubt he is capable of being a monster of a plyaer for us..."cant play in the premiership"...nonsense, he is one of the best dutch players I have seen for a long time that had the nack of always lookign like the have time on the ball, he DeBoers were great at it too....he can play in any league for sure
A genuinely world class footballer like him can play anywhere, so I have to agree with you. What a balanced midfield it will be if we sign Kamara as well, and on a free at that!

One thing though, you’re forgetting Donny! Another player who under Ten Hag can 100% compete with Bruno and even displace him if Bruno’s form continues with this current trend.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Sounds too good to be true. All the talk of destroyers, DMs etc but I've always wanted a playmaker at United. Someone with that intelligence and weight of pass. Utterly neglected area.
Agree completely. The best form of defence is controlling the ball and the game as City show.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Decomposing In Paris

I'm not 100% believing it.
Romero might be tier 1 but I remember during the De Ligt transfer he kept linking us and nothing happened.

Don't get your hopes up lads
That’s the thing, I remember him laughing with Ronaldo after a game (preseason?) then he went to Juve… well, Ronaldo’s not at Juve anymore

dbs235

It's all such a non-United thing to do, wrap up ten Haag early and then get his star midfielder early, it's too efficient.

I've spent the last few months adamant that I didn't want us signing big names summer and that I certainly didn't want us signing anyone on huge wages. This was the summer for a reset - get back to basics and build a squad of hungry, young players who want to sign for the right reasons.

On paper though, De Jong is just about the only player worth breaking that policy for. I didn't think for a second this was a feasible transfer this summer, and to be honest I still don't - but if we did get him, it's bloody hard not to get excited.
I'm with you.

De Jong is though still really young, and proven enough in the new manager's system to push out on.

I hope after that we focus on cheaper players that can also play the ETH system.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What I meant was with FDJ and VdB he already has a midfield that took him to UCL semis.
He does but still not complete yet.

I think FDJ operates best in double pivot and double pivot is what I believe ETH will play if he signs FDJ. Not sure if VDB will suit to play double pivot next to FDJ.

TsuWave

Oh man, am I going to start believing again like a sucker?

feck it - I got one more in me

let’s go

LordSpud

Whos negotiating this on our side by the way? Now Judge has gone I'm not too sure who's doing that side of the game - Murtough?

jesperjaap

A genuinely world class footballer like him can play anywhere, so I have to agree with you. What a balanced midfield it will be if we sign Kamara as well, and on a free at that!

One thing though, you’re forgetting Donny! Another player who under Ten Hag can 100% compete with Bruno and even displace him if Bruno’s form continues with this current trend.
Well we need competition for Bruno too for sure, if not to replace him with how atrocious he has been this season, then to rest him with him overpalying the season before.

Personally, though he obviously did well under Ten Hag, I was never that excited over VDB as a signing anyway, was underwhelmed. DeJOng/DeLigt were genuine world class potential players...VDB, Ziyech and a few others were for me anyway, jsut decent players. Only reason for him to stay is Ten Hag and a squad option for me.

Do hope we find the right mix of signings. Im generally not a fan of managers signing ex players from previous clubs, Mourinho did it to a degree here and I hope most of the links with current Ajax players are just lazy journalism too. Not seen enough to judge really but bar Timber I am not overly enthused by others and I do think for the fee, there are prob better options than him too

Delano

Chilevision?

Nos Vemos en Manchester?

I've done this CM dance before. I'm in.

Giggs' right foot

In Ajax he played most of his games as a DM right? How would ETH line up our midfield, if we sign FDJ? Could it be something along these lines:

When in possession:

Bruno (CAM)

Van de Beek (CM) - Frenkie de Jong (CM)

When out of possession:

Bruno (CM) - Van de Beek (CM)
Frenkie de Jong (DM)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He's definitely showing more confidence in this deal but he did report on RAC 1 that United were the front runners for de Ligt and Simon Mullock (Daily Mirror) fell for the story and wrote a exclusive that United were close to signing de Ligt.
He did report that United had a better offer than Barcelona did for the player, but that doesn't always mean that we would have been strong favourites, especially when the other teams were still in for him. At the end, our offers were usurped by Juventus and PSG to name two clubs.

This is why I don't lean on reporters like Simon Mullock, Chris Wheeler, Alex Shaw, Mark Odgen, etc. even if they mainly report on United.

redshaw

With ETH as manager I can believe there's something to it but still pretty surprising. I think this will be more Barca wanting to sell and strengthen other areas.

De Jong has been pretty dismissive of the EPL and we could be in the Europa Conference if West Ham have a good two games.

Mainoldo

In Ajax he played most of his games as a DM right? How would ETH line up our midfield, if we sign FDJ? Could it be something along these lines:

When in possession:

Bruno (CAM)

When out of possession:

Frenkie de Jong (DM)
Bruno can’t ball with them. We’ll need a Kamara next to him or Tchouamini;)

laughtersassassin

When in possession:

Bruno (CAM)

When out of possession:

Frenkie de Jong (DM)
We really gonna pretend VDB is able to play in this league to a high enough level?

Bwuk

I can see it happening.

Barca need £££ and he’s the most saleable asset. They’ve got Pedri & Gavi waiting in the wings anyway.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

When in possession:

Bruno (CAM)

When out of possession:

Frenkie de Jong (DM)
Think if we do end up signing him it means Bruno will be part of the front 3. We'll need a real all-rounder in central midfield to support Frenkie and Van de Beek.

Idxomer

When in possession:

Bruno (CAM)

When out of possession:

Frenkie de Jong (DM)
He won't be able to hold the midfield on his own in those cases.

OverratedOpinion

He'll come.

And we will turn him into McTominay mk2.
Nah De Jong has this weird ability to kick the ball with his feet and have it roll in the direction of people who are wearing the same coloured shirt as him. It will be a revelation for us honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.