Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

It's not his fault, it's the club's fault. He may very well be a great manager but being one does not necessarily mean you're a great scout. Sure it is okay to give a manager one to three picks in signings every once in awhile, even the best managed clubs like Bayern, City, Barcelona at its prime do that. However, the overall management of the squad lies at the hands of the club, the DOF and his staff. We are not just giving him picks in players, we're allowing him to handle the entire squad building process. It's his players or nothing. Seriously, how many clubs at the top level actually do this? None. At Ajax Ten Hag didn't have control of the transfers, it was Overmars that had complete control. And yet at United, at supposedly a "bigger stage" in football, it's his way or the highway? Look at Campos in PSG, first summer at PSG and midfield has been his one and only focus because that's where their biggest weakness lies.

Yet here we are with one of the worst midfields in the top 10 and we've signed Eriksen on a free transfer to fix it. It's incompetence at the highest level from the club.
To be fair, if he can bring in a higher calibre of player than we have been able to approach then why not use him? Bayern have been raiding his club all summer for his players.
As a club we would be stupid not to listen to him when Eric says we can get a top target due to his relationship with the player. We gave him more than enough time to get in the ear of the player. The failure to change his mind is on Eric and as long as we do get in whatever target we would have signed anyway then I suppose there’s no harm done on the clubs end. Hopefully there’s a lesson for Ten Hag in all of this.
On a side note I think moving from a smaller league to a massive club is a bit jarring for him. I can see him thinking of all the players he’s had under him that were forced to move or players from Dutch rivals that he would love at Ajax and if he were able to create a Ten Hag super team they would be unstoppable. At big, English clubs you can think broader than that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When he says Chelsea are confident he means of striking a fee with Barcelona. Not the player side. Nobody knows what’s going on there.

Of course it is easy, as our deal is well known and can be copied. Lets see

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
When he says Chelsea are confident he means of striking a fee with Barcelona. Not the player side. Nobody knows what’s going on there.

Chelsea going after a player who doesn’t want to join them? Joke of a club.

In all seriousness, that makes me feel better. If he stays at Barca, fine. But it’d hurt if he went to Chelsea

Cypriot

It'll be hard to pip Chelsea given they have CL footy. They also have tons of cash having lost out of a few deals they were willing to spend on. Not positive about this one given we've spent so long not getting it done but let's see.
Our pulling points were always:

1) The manager
2) Guaranteed starter
3) High wages

We're still in this, but we'll see.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Soo, it’s on the club then? You just said it - if a random guy on a football forum can see that he doesn’t want to come (time will tell, but likely that’s the case), then how the feck can the club allow anyone to waste 3 months on this, nevermind not working on a plan B.
Are you saying some random guy on a football forum knows FdJ's wishes better than people at our club who have actually talked to him?!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yup. He's let the club down, hopefully this experience humbles him and he doesn't overstep his mark from now on (that's if he makes the next summer window)
Yeah I agree. But I don't think that's a big issue if we still can get a midfielder. ETH football can hardly rely on getting one player surely?
Also, I didn't want us to sign a player who doesn't want to be here and would prefer many other options which simply are not available to him. He would've escaped on first occasion anyway.

OmarUnited4ever

Chelsea will make sure either Barcelona or FDJ are well compensated. They wouldn't get involved if they didn't know what they have to do.

This goose is cooked.
Chelsea signed Sterling for 50M, Koulibaly for 35M, made a bid of 50M for Cucurella, that is 135M almost gone.

Then they need another CB (Fofana?), plus 1 or 2 forward players, I do not think they have unlimited budget to go for any player, De Jong will cost them 70M, while haven't addressed a lot of their priorities.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
In theory any team could strike an agreement with Barca if they offer the money. That’s the easy bit, we achieved that ages ago.
And because of us, Chelsea know what's needed. So the only thing that changed is that their interest is no longer just speculation

Siorac

“There’s no one else who can do what he does” etc. This isn’t how recruitment works at most big or well run clubs.
The most obvious example is how Klopp had to make do with Salah instead of getting the mighty... Julian Brandt. I don't see him complaining about not getting backed.

avgp_1

Yeah it's not 100% done at all. De Jong's preference has always been to stay and the wages could still be a sticking point.

But Chelsea joining in means they believe they have as good a chance as any if he does move. So it's no longer just Barca or us for Frenkie

JB7

Chelsea have been throwing offers in for players all summer with no idea if the player wants to join them. It would almost be more if a surprise if they didn’t show an interest in him. Not overly concerned still.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Soo, it’s on the club then? You just said it - if a random guy on a football forum can see that he doesn’t want to come (time will tell, but likely that’s the case), then how the feck can the club allow anyone to waste 3 months on this, nevermind not working on a plan B.
A random guy sees nothing. FDJ said nothing and has shown nothing, so anyone that hasn't interacted with FDJ and claims that he knows what he wants is talking nonsense.

Judas

Open to offers
I refuse to see how we’ve fecked around. The only thing we could have done is found a way to pay his deferred wages, which is something most on here are/were strongly against.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
So not only would he prefer to stay at Barca than join us, but if he does get this deferred wage issue sorted and get shifted out, there's now a club in London that can offer CL football in for him too.

This saga should never have happened. The club should have identified different targets long ago to sign before the season started.

CM

Possibly. But Chelsea aren’t in desperate need of a midfielder so this’ll just be a lovely additional bonus to their 300m plus spend elsewhere.
Of course. It's just interesting how the mere mention of them by a respectable journalist caused such widespread panic.

crossy1686

career ending
So he wants to stay in Barcelona, and will probably take a pay cut to do so, but if Barca force him out and it’s a straight choice between London and Manchester we’ll lose that battle you would imagine.

crossy1686

career ending
I refuse to see how we’ve fecked around. The only thing we could have done is found a way to pay his deferred wages, which is something most on here are/were strongly against.
The Athletic reported that United explored that option but due to the tax implications it was impossible for them to do so

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The most obvious example is how Klopp had to make do with Salah instead of getting the mighty... Julian Brandt. I don't see him complaining about not getting backed.
It is absolutely ridiculous that people are blaming ETH. You would imagine, especially since he is jumping from Ajax to United, that he will get massive help or a handbrake regarding recruitment and be focused on coaching.

Nope, not at United. We will let you do everything. And then blame you for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.