Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrational.

I'm just courious, with all due respect to LVG, will he bring a Barcelona bench warmer to the upcoming World Cup after threatening Timber not to be in a WC squad if not regular ?

Also, despite the undoubtely talent of Timber and De Jong, I'm so glad that we sign players like Martinez, Casemiro and Antony instead - they didn't think twice about joining our team and that's the mentality I want to see from our players.
Correct - I don't want to see players coming here kicking and screaming - never usually works out well.

worldinmotion66

I'm just courious, with all due respect to LVG, will he bring a Barcelona bench warmer to the upcoming World Cup after threatening Timber not to be in a WC squad if not regular ?

Also, despite the undoubtely talent of Timber and De Jong, I'm so glad that we sign players like Martinez, Casemiro and Antony instead - they didn't think twice about joining our team and that's the mentality I want to see from our players.
The situations are very different. Those players all stand to make a lot more money coming here, whereas it seems de Jong would have to give up a huge chunk of money.

I still think he wants to come here. But not without getting what he's owed, which is his perogative given how that club has treated him this summer.

croadyman

The situations are very different. Those players all stand to make a lot more money coming here, whereas it seems de Jong would have to give up a huge chunk of money.

I still think he wants to come here. But not without getting what he's owed, which is his perogative given how that club has treated him this summer.
Could go back next summer because will probably be more open with Champions League, hell maybe he could actually be keener in January if Erik gets this team going until November.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
While I understand that he deserves to get his money, I still find it strange that a player of his calibre is content with a bench role in what should be his peak years. Moreover, without regular football he'll lose form and value. That's assuming he'll be treated nicely by the fans, which isn't guaranteed considering they're forced to borrow from Laporta now to register players. People shit on United but at the end of the day it's a great prestigious club that pays top wages. Your career is going nowhere if you're watching your club play CL football from the bench.
He isn’t content with a bench role and this has been demonstrated many times last season.

He has a legal issue with the club and until its resolved he is going nowhere

Someone

Something
He isn’t content with a bench role and this has been demonstrated many times last season.

He has a legal issue with the club and until its resolved he is going nowhere
It's still very costly for him don't you think? Not playing regular football comes at a heavy price, specially in a WC year. Also a lot could change in a year, he has a massive offer now, maybe next year it won't be there.

Initially I thought they'd bench him to push him out, but it really seems that he doesn't fit the current system they're playing, so even in a world where he agrees a pay cut, he still won't be getting regular football.

I understand that Barca are trying to feck him over, but I feel he'll end up losing much more by staying.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's still very costly for him don't you think? Not playing regular football comes at a heavy price, specially in a WC year. Also a lot could change in a year, he has a massive offer now, maybe next year it won't be there.

Initially I thought they'd bench him to push him out, but it really seems that he doesn't fit the current system they're playing, so even in a world where he agrees a pay cut, he still won't be getting regular football.

I understand that Barca are trying to feck him over, but I feel he'll end up losing much more by staying.
Maybe he is money oriented now and will be happy to be a Dutch Bale

RedMistyDevil

We’ll be lucky to see 2000 with the absolute dearth of news on this one at present. It’ll be pretty dramatic if anything happens now. Certainly a fitting way for Murtough to round out his first window.
I was hoping you, hellhunter, and brownie85 could get us there! :D

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Agree with this.

Agree with most of that aside from Eriksen who gives me “you made me a financial offer I couldn’t really refuse“ vibes. He doesn’t seem to be that fussed about United. Maybe he’s just a very understated guy though and I’m reading that wrong.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Agree with this.

This whole saga has said very little to me about deJongs mentality as a player. What is has told me is about his mentality as an employee who won’t be pushed around and constructively dismissed by his employer. We’ve already heard about his anger at the way he is being treated, I’m sure more will come out at some point in the future. There’s more here than meets the eye.

croadyman

This whole saga has said very little to me about deJongs mentality as a player. What is has told me is about his mentality as an employee who won’t be pushed around and constructively dismissed by his employer. We’ve already heard about his anger at the way he is being treated, I’m sure more will come out at some point in the future. There’s more here than meets the eye.
So maybe if Utd show him signs of progression in the next few months maybe he will push for the move when he's paid what he's owed

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Agree with this.

Agreed and thats what I believe as well.

But it also makes me think why ETH wants him given he wants players with certain mentality. Maybe there's more to this saga than what is in front of us.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

That's great and it's spot on, De Jong doesn't back himself to succeed in the EPL either.

That being said, we still need a central midfielder.
Know it's a long shot - but would love to see another Korean midfielder run the show again. Talking about Kang-in from Mallorca of course.

RuudTom83

I’d say Martinez and Antony were desperate to follow ETH more so than Manchester United…but I’m just happy they are here whatever the reason.

FDJ is a very unique situation and I don’t think any of us would walk away from a job that owed us 17 million.

E-mal

I just don't know what to think of him, may be he doesn't fancy us that much or perhaps he loves Barcelona and the life over there or just may be he wants his money. Whatever is the case, we need a midfield playmaker and we shouldn't hang around for him.

iamjacks

Well, it took up most of the summer, and yes we've rushed some late business through, but you can't help but be disappointed when it his signing looked more than possible.

To quote the great Morpheus...

"I Have Dreamed A Dream, But Now That Dream Is Gone From Me."

Status
Not open for further replies.