Television Friends

SirAF

Ageist
Friends is ace, but the earlies episodes were the quality ones.

SecondFig

I was always told I was like chandler but I was like "could I be any less like chandler" Lolz
I remember the cast of Friends being on some chat show in the mid 90's - the peak of Friends - and the host asking Mathew Perry in what ways he was like Chandler.

Perry's response;

"Well, I look a lot like him"

Must admit that made me laugh

manxmanc

I don't mind it tbh, fills a gap when there's nothing on...

Oh anyone that really likes it, seen it today in zavvi £50 for the lot...

manxmanc

:lol:

I may ring my brother and tell him...

I almost bought it as a gift for my bird for christmas I thought it was that decent a buy, just don't have a spare £50 atm though :(

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Friends was excellent. David Schwimmer was by far and away the best comedic talent on that. The stuff with the luminous teeth, the leather trousers, etc.

If Friends was not the global smash hit it was, loads of the snobs who slag it off would say they loved it.

Also The IT crowd is the worst thing i've seen in years. And 'Allo 'Allo is the worst thing ever.

SecondFig

Friends was excellent. David Schwimmer was by far and away the best comedic talent on that. The stuff with the luminous teeth, the leather trousers, etc.

If Friends was not the global smash hit it was, loads of the snobs who slag it off would say they loved it.

Also The IT crowd is the worst thing i've seen in years. And 'Allo 'Allo is the worst thing ever.
I like Friends - it's a bit light-weight but the chemistry between the cast was great and it managed to be consistently funny for a lot longer than most shows ever do.

The IT Crowd took a long time to grow on me, thought it was crap the first time I watched it.

'Allo 'Allo isn't my cup of tea at all, but it's an acknowledged classic. Along with shows like Are You Being Served etc. etc.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The IT Crowd took a long time to grow on me, thought it was crap the first time I watched it.

'Allo 'Allo isn't my cup of tea at all, but it's an acknowledged classic. Along with shows like Are You Being Served etc. etc.
I only saw a few of the IT crowd. Maybe i'l give it another go (I doubt it though).

As for 'Allo 'Allo, I know it's regarded as a classic but I really can't see why. I love things like Dad's Army, Steptoe and Son, Rising Damp, In Sickness and in Health, Open all Hours, Porridge and I can even chuckle at Are you being served. But 'Allo 'Allo has always bugged the crap out of me. It's the same joke every episode.

And don't get me started on Last of the Summer Wine. How that piece of shit has been going for about 40 years staggers me.

EricaNo7

I only saw a few of the IT crowd. Maybe i'l give it another go (I doubt it though).

As for 'Allo 'Allo, I know it's regarded as a classic but I really can't see why. I love things like Dad's Army, Steptoe and Son, Rising Damp, In Sickness and in Health, Open all Hours, Porridge and I can even chuckle at Are you being served. But 'Allo 'Allo has always bugged the crap out of me. It's the same joke every episode.

And don't get me started on Last of the Summer Wine. How that piece of shit has been going for about 40 years staggers me.

yes possibly one of the worst programmes in the history of man
(unless you're 80 )

SecondFig

Don't worry, it never even came to mind when I was scouring my memory for British comedies... I don't even know why it ever existed, it had no purpose at all.

Alex

Frasier is pretty good imo, lsated over 20 years including Cheers; Seinfeld is Seinfeld and I fecking love it; one of the best shows ever

Alex

Haha, some of the seinfeld run ons were pretty pathetic i think the michael richards show got about 8 eps

Leg-End

The 'Fifty years ago we would have had you upside down with a fork up your ass.' line still gets me, I mean talk about losing it.

Friends, meh I always though people jumped on the bandwagon. I can't specifically pick a moment that I laughed anything more than a chortle watching it, each to their own I suppose.

Ixion

I thought Friends was funny, dipped a lot in quality in the last few seasons though. Joey was the funniest character.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Everytime someone tells me that I'm "so like Chandler" I die a little inside.

That said, he was by some distance the best character on that show, for the first few seasons.

feck Friends.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott

Agree with this. It's lack of popularity surprises me, since it was obviously very, very successful. It has possibly become uncool to like it. I also think E4 has a lot to answer for as everyone is sick of it being on that channel 24/7, it's ridiculous.

Schwimmer/Ross came good from around series 5-6 onwards, he wasn't the best before that. The story goes that he was fed up with Ross' character and wanted out, so they changed him massively - all after his "rage" problems. Watch episodes before this and he's just a boring geek, not that funny at all. Matthew Perry was consistently good, whilst Matt Le Blanc's character also became more and more stupid as it went on, although it was pretty funny.

Friends is right up there in my opinion, even if it is a bit cheesey American.

oleonenumber20

Agree with this. It's lack of popularity surprises me, since it was obviously very, very successful. It has possibly become uncool to like it. I also think E4 has a lot to answer for as everyone is sick of it being on that channel 24/7, it's ridiculous.

Schwimmer/Ross came good from around series 5-6 onwards, he wasn't the best before that. The story goes that he was fed up with Ross' character and wanted out, so they changed him massively - all after his "rage" problems. Watch episodes before this and he's just a boring geek, not that funny at all. Matthew Perry was consistently good, whilst Matt Le Blanc's character also became more and more stupid as it went on, although it was pretty funny.

Friends is right up there in my opinion, even if it is a bit cheesey American.
I agree. I got series 1-4 on DVD but sometimes catch it just to see a good Ross bit

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Friends was ok, but the filmed in front of a studio audience thing annoyed me. The same as canned laughter is annoying as hell. If i find it funny i'll laugh i don't need to be spoon fed these sort of "you should laugh now" moments.

Oh and can channel 4 and E4 please realise the show is over and stop showing bloody repeats of the damn thing all the time. Although it did take bbc 2 about 8 years to realise Fresh Prince of Bel Air had ended, but then again that show amused me.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I still think Friends is quality. Still have all 10 series' of it up in my room, and the first six series' of Scrubs.

Not sure how anyone could call The IT Crowd quality. It's so stupid it's funny sometimes, but it's not quality.

Blackbooks is still my favourite.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like it, there are better shows but it's still good

Broo

Get a brew on
Other good examples of quality British comedy shows include:

Father Ted
Black Books
Blackadder
Brass Eye
Green Wing
Nathan Barley
Spaced
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
The Mighty Boosh
The IT Crowd
A Bit of Fry & Laurie
The League of Gentlemen
Red Dwarf
Jeeves & Wooster
The Young Ones
Not The Nine O'Clock News
Coupling
The Office
Extras
Drop The Dead Donkey
etc.

Plus (not to my taste but widely regarded as classics):
Bottom
Little Britain
Only Fools & Horses
Dads Army
'Allo 'Allo
Where the feck is Peep Show??

As for friends: as has been said, the first half was a lot better than the second half. Chandler was the best character in the first half, then he got shit and Ross kept the show alive. However, I still find Friends watchable. Never really laugh out loud in hysterics funny, but still enjoyable easy-to-watch TV after a long day.