Television Friends

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Friends is my all time favourite show. Watched it from season 1 or 2 when i was bought them as VHS tapes and then watched season 3 onwards live. It used to really piss me off that ER was an hour long and always before it, and i wondered why Friends was always 30 minutes only.

GeorgieBoy

Someone said it earlier in the thread but if it hadn't gotten such acclaim; the snobs who hate it would be on the bandwagon. Take it for what it is and its very funny. Still regularly watch episodes on Netflix. Ross by far the best character.

Norris

Great show to lay back and relax. Will always be a comfort show for me. Others have come and surpassed it, but it's still a great show to just simply start watching randomly.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
It jumped the shark when Ross said Rachel's name at that wedding. Had its moments after but Ross never recovered as a character. Rather than the geeky, insecure but basically cool guy he was til that point he morphed into this completely pathetic butt of all jokes caricature of a person. The others slowly followed in their own way.

Oscie

Never minded it at the time but rewatching it now, it's a bit corny and cheesy. Certainly doesn't age anywhere near as well as Frasier.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If it was on, I'd probably watch an episode. I wouldn't put it on out of choice anymore. As far as formulaic sitcoms go, it's among the most watachable. A lot of it hasn't aged too well though. Particularly Joey.

Oggmonster

It jumped the shark when Ross said Rachel's name at that wedding. Had its moments after but Ross never recovered as a character. Rather than the geeky, insecure but basically cool guy he was til that point he morphed into this completely pathetic butt of all jokes caricature of a person. The others slowly followed in their own way.
That's probably the point the characters changed the most. Joey at the start is stupid but still has some kind of common sense, towards the end he becomes such an idiot you'd be surprised if he could leave the house on his own. Monica becomes overly annoying and obsessive about stuff, Phoebe is to weird and quirky etc. The only 2 that stay somewhat normal at Chandler and Rachel. I still enjoyed it but the more you watch it in the background or whatever the worse it gets with each viewing.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah, they made cartoons out of all the characters, pretty much. The first season is as close as anybody got to capturing generation X. Then it gradually lost all sense of relatability and ended as no more than a chick-flick. I'd think it's a shit show if it came out today. The nostalgia factor saves it.

@Oggmonster disagree on Chandler. I hate what they did to him. He was dude with a good sense of humor and a great relationship with Joey in the first couple of seasons. Then he gradually became a one-liner-spewing spineless no-substance parody of himself.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great show to lay back and relax. Will always be a comfort show for me. Others have come and surpassed it, but it's still a great show to just simply start watching randomly.
This. One of the most easiest shows to watch. I’ll always put it on if I just want some background noise.

Sylar

Enjoyable show and really enjoyed it at the time it was airing.
When channel surfing randomly, if its on, ill watch even if its mid way through an ep.

Oggmonster

Yeah, they made cartoons out of all the characters, pretty much. The first season is as close as anybody got to capturing generation X. Then it gradually lost all sense of relatability and ended as no more than a chick-flick. I'd think it's a shit show if it came out today. The nostalgia factor saves it.

@Oggmonster disagree on Chandler. I hate what they did to him. He was dude with a good sense of humor and a great relationship with Joey in the first couple of seasons. Then he gradually became a one-liner-spewing spineless no-substance parody of himself.
Yeah that's pretty accurate in fairness. I think they exaggerated most the characters better qualities by the end and turned them in to negatives.

The show probably suffers critically form the fact it's always on TV. It seems at times you can't get away from it and it becomes less funny.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I couldn't care how shite people think it is, the fact the biggest show on television manage to do a whole episode around not dropping a tennis ball is something to be admired. I'd kill for that mundane but relatable content.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I like Friends but I agree that the characters became too over the top and dumbed down in the later seasons and got a bit annoying. I think up until Chandler and Monica got engage it was good.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I like Friends but I agree that the characters became too over the top and dumbed down in the later seasons and got a bit annoying. I think up until Chandler and Monica got engage it was good.
You're quite generous, giving it 6 good seasons. For me the decline starts with Chandler falling in love with Joey's girlfriend (beginning of S4) and continues slowly until Ross's wedding / Chandler and Monica romance (end S4). Then it plummets.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
You're quite generous, giving it 6 good seasons. For me the decline starts with Chandler falling in love with Joey's girlfriend (beginning of S4) and continues slowly until Ross's wedding / Chandler and Monica romance (end S4). Then it plummets.
I just checked an episode guide and yeah I guess maybe I was a bit generous. I'd still say season 5 and 6 were good, just less consistent. Season 7 onwards I class as "new Friends" which suddenly felt really different, and kind of off.

Classical Mechanic

I loved when it was current but have no real desire to rewatch it ever again. Maybe when I’m in a care home feeling nostalgic whilst high on my happy pills or something.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I never got the hate for it. Take it for what it was and it was great. I would never really feel the urge ro download and rewatch but if it's on TV I'd watch.

We watched some the other day while eating dinner actually and I never noticed how much Aniston's nips were poking out. That must've been one cold set.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Chandlers character mellowed out and became boring about the same time Matthew Perry kicked the booze and drugs. He's like a real life fun Bobby.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah I never got the hate for it. Take it for what it was and it was great. I would never really feel the urge ro download and rewatch but if it's on TV I'd watch.

We watched some the other day while eating dinner actually and I never noticed how much Aniston's nips were poking out. That must've been one cold set.
I've just decided I'm going to watch it all from the beginning.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
My wife has this on all the time, so I catch episodes here and there (probably one or two a fecking day :)).

I don’t get the hate for it at all. It’s what I would call a feel good show. Easy to watch and doesn’t require you to think too deeply about it.

I wouldn’t mind watching it in episodic chronological order again. Comedy Central jumps all over the place. One episode will end on a cliffhanger and the next episode will be from three bloody seasons later.

Heardy

I just saw a video which claimed that each of the cast still make $20m a year in syndication revenue, and that the show earns $1bn a year from Warner Bros!

That is insane given the time that has lapsed since the show finished! Is Friends the most successful show commercially?

Zlatattack

I re-watched this on netflix and i love it. It reminds me of my youth, especially how Jennifer Aniston on TV would put butterflies in teenage me's stomach.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
What's not to like?

And Monica in those vintage Levis and with red lips in the first few seasons.. Damn, that's so cool.