Television Friends

SecondFig

Where the feck is Peep Show??

As for friends: as has been said, the first half was a lot better than the second half. Chandler was the best character in the first half, then he got shit and Ross kept the show alive. However, I still find Friends watchable. Never really laugh out loud in hysterics funny, but still enjoyable easy-to-watch TV after a long day.
Damn, I knew I'd missed a couple.
For the record, Peep Show is great - in an uncomfortable viewing kind of way

MUFCgal

I honestly think Phoebe is the most irritating character ever written.
Aw, no way. Phoebe was great and Lisa Kudrow played her brilliantly. I actually found Monica most irritating out of all of them. That's not saying I didn't like her but if I had to pick my least favourite, it would be Monica.

I love Friends, I watch the re-runs all the time and never get tired of them. It's definitely one of the funniest shows I've ever seen (along with The Fresh Prince) :D

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
20 years ago this week, the pilot of Friends premiered on NBC. I'm not even 30 but that makes me feel old right. Not sure how the caf feels about Friends in general but I loved it when it was airing and I find that it has aged surprisingly well, at least for me personally. That episode where they play a quiz to see who gets the nice apartment is a classic, saw it again the other day and it was still hilarious.

I'm hoping a new comedy comes out soon that 1) makes me laugh out loud as much and 2) has characters I actually care about. In the last decade the only comedy I've enjoyed as much and has made me laugh out loud a lot is It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, but it's a whole different genre of comedy right

JP77

One of the greatest comedies ever created. Lost count how many times I've watched through the entire show considering it runs every single day in the UK.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Never really had me laughing out loud as often as my favourite comedy shows (Extras, Office + Partridge) did but Friends was a really watchable show and I still watch them on a regular basis now. The early seasons are comfortably better than the later ones. The ones with Eddie are my personal favourites.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Never really had me laughing out loud as often as my favourite comedy shows (Extras, Office + Partridge) did but Friends was a really watchable show and I still watch them on a regular basis now. The early seasons are comfortably better than the later ones. The ones with Eddie are my personal favourites.
I find the middle section of Friends (about 3 to 6) to be by far the funniest, but the other stuff still gets chuckles outta me. And yeah, the Eddie trilogy is gold.

Sweet Square

It's essentially the blueprint that 99% in the US try to follow(None have succeeded).And I would say it's my favourite out of the 'BIG' sitcoms, the first few seasons are my personal favourite. Sadly though it did fall inro the trap that all most every successfully sitcom in the US do simply going on too long and also it relied heavily on relationships(Rachel shagged almost everyone in that show) in the later seasons which I never though was the show's strongest point in terms of funny martial/jokes.

Overall it's a very good sitcom and a very important one.

And still it's one of the very few shows that got it's final episode spot on(It's pretty much the perfect way to end a show)

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
I'm surprised so many don't like friends. One of those tv series that has at least 1 laugh out loud moment per episode - at least. The writing was good but even more so the acting and comedic delivery is spot on - so much so you can find yourself saying words in your head in the way that a character in the show does - I do this a lot with The Simpson's too. Too many great friends moments to name.

Castia

I loved the show and I still watch them on Comedy Central, it's my go to channel when feck all else is on.

Nickosaur

I never really got the fuss about Friends. I'd watched the odd episode here and there but didn't get the universal love for it. This girl I've been seeing sat me down and made me watch a few episodes and I have to admit, I was laughing out loud. Started a few weeks back right at the beginning and I'm nearly finished season 1. Loving it!

Red_Aaron

every time this thread is bumped i assume the inevitable movie has been announced
feels like its on continuously nowadays, whenever there's a gap in the schedule when theres nothing else you actually want to watch you can guarantee my wife will find a channel with an episode of this playing and make me watch it for the 100th time that week

it wasn't terrible in its early days, in its totally safe and completely non threatening kinda way, but became a complete parody of itself by the end where the characters weren't even given lines resembling dialogue just one-liner after one-liner delivered with heightened versions of every characters established neurosis punctuated with the odd smattering of supposedly sad/emotional bollox to pretend it was more than just a crap comedy aimed at retarded women

no doubt you can tell i'm not a fan

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It's a long way from my favorite show, but I think it gets a tough rap from some in the wake of it's terrible immitations, and a lot of the edgier comedies that came after it that gained popularity with the now maturing age group that grew up with it. Plus the fact it ran too long, the characters became tired and the "in" jokes saturated real life, not just the show, makes it a very easy and visible mainstream thing to begrudge.

For what it was though, which was very much a prime time family entertainment studio sitcom, it was one of the best, and very good at what it did. Certainly leagues above it's modern equivalents like How I Met Your Mother etc.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I still love the show, got the Blu-Rays a little while ago.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Friends was ok it just dragged on and you know there will be a movie at somepoint, the temptation to make to inevitable hundreds of millions of dollars is just too great.

Personally I preferred spin city, it was on about the same time but genuinely made me laugh out loud.

EricaNo7

Friends was ok it just dragged on and you know there will be a movie at somepoint, the temptation to make to inevitable hundreds of millions of dollars is just too great.

Personally I preferred spin city, it was on about the same time but genuinely made me laugh out loud.
I liked Spin City very much . It wasn't quite the same when Michael J Fox left though

Ronaldo No.9

Redcafe FIFA Champion 2010
''Ronaldo was the attacker more difficult to tackl
I always liked that episode 'The One Where The Stripper Cries'

You had Danny DeVito as the stripper, Joey was on a gameshow being his usual self thick as two short planks, then you had Ross and Monica discovering that there first kisses were with each other. Overall the series was brilliant and had loads of laugh out loud moments.

Dante

Average bang
I did like the show, but they lost me when they started changing the personalities of Joey and/or Phoebe every other episode.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's a long way from my favorite show, but I think it gets a tough rap from some in the wake of it's terrible immitations, and a lot of the edgier comedies that came after it that gained popularity with the now maturing age group that grew up with it. Plus the fact it ran too long, the characters became tired and the "in" jokes saturated real life, not just the show, makes it a very easy and visible mainstream thing to begrudge.

For what it was though, which was very much a prime time family entertainment studio sitcom, it was one of the best, and very good at what it did. Certainly leagues above it's modern equivalents like How I Met Your Mother etc.
Pretty much this.

Didn't even know there was a suggestion of a movie as a few people have mentioned? Why would they bother? They still make millions from the franchise with no effort now, why risk ruining people's impression of it with what would undoubtedly be a shit movie?

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
If you can survive the Ross-Rachel love story, the rest of it is very watchable. And Of-course, Chandler is my favourite character, followed by Phoebe.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Everyone i know loves it, but i've always been a bit meh on it. l will however say i think like my lack of love for it comes more from being shoved in front of the screen with matchsticks prising my eyes open than any real lack in quality. It's certainly passable.

Same with anything that gets popular on that scale, it becomes more of a barometer for cool and how many people you can appear fashionable to by introducing them to it. But then i thought the same with Breaking Bad by the end and i loved that. Yeah, Friends was shit.

Tarrou

Always considered it something to watch when nothing else is on, and enjoyed it, but never bothered to watch it from start to finish. I still catch the occasional episode I've never seen before. It's funny but towards the end you can see the jokes coming a mile off.

Oggmonster

Didn't even know there was a suggestion of a movie as a few people have mentioned? Why would they bother? They still make millions from the franchise with no effort now, why risk ruining people's impression of it with what would undoubtedly be a shit movie?

The writers have said they won't do one as there's no point. The premise of the show was watching a bunch of people grow up and their struggles. By the end none of them were particularly struggling anymore and had grown up (all married or together except Joey) so a film wouldn't show much. I imagine there would be some temptation once the show dies down considerably but that doesn't look like happening any time soon really, it's on all the time and like you said they will still make money from it today without a movie.

Same with anything that gets popular on that scale, it becomes more of a barometer for cool and how many people you can appear fashionable to by introducing them to it. But then i thought the same with Breaking Bad by the end and i loved that. Yeah, Friends was shit.
I can see your point with Breaking Bad as that was a bit of a **** show for a while....I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't watched or heard of Friends before though to be fair!!

It seems I'm in a minority on this forum in particular but I thought it was good all the way through. I think some of the later episodes are the better ones. The one where Ross gets a tan is one of my favourite ones. The only character I never really liked was Phoebe. She is the reason it seems we get so many women who think they're "quirky" or something.

Sweet Square

I always liked that episode 'The One Where The Stripper Cries'

You had Danny DeVito as the stripper, Joey was on a gameshow being his usual self thick as two short planks, then you had Ross and Monica discovering that there first kisses were with each other. Overall the series was brilliant and had loads of laugh out loud moments.
It's strange as it was a mainstream show it but never had the moral dilemma that more recent shows have over strippers(Always thought that was a real plus for the show how open it was.)

Also forgot to mention something that doesn't happen enough in shows. They were POOR in Friends. They never had unlimited amounts of money to use like countless sitcoms(Always liked how they explained how Monica could afford the apartment). They had real jobs to which they went to and worked at(There were good episodes about their workplace).

There's a ton a sitcoms were the characters have a job in a tall office building where they seem to work 0 hours and have no real commitments to do,yet they get paid like millionaires.(There's a episodes where Chandler gets the piss taken out of him because he has one of these's 'office jobs'.

It's really annoying

Last edited:

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
It's become one of those shows where I know more people who say "I don't know why everyone likes it" than people who like it. I wonder when Community will get to that stage.

acnumber9

every time this thread is bumped i assume the inevitable movie has been announced
feels like its on continuously nowadays, whenever there's a gap in the schedule when theres nothing else you actually want to watch you can guarantee my wife will find a channel with an episode of this playing and make me watch it for the 100th time that week

it wasn't terrible in its early days, in its totally safe and completely non threatening kinda way, but became a complete parody of itself by the end where the characters weren't even given lines resembling dialogue just one-liner after one-liner delivered with heightened versions of every characters established neurosis punctuated with the odd smattering of supposedly sad/emotional bollox to pretend it was more than just a crap comedy aimed at retarded women

no doubt you can tell i'm not a fan
I'd have to agree with that. I actually liked the show when I first watched it but they ruined with terrible, lazy writing. They all became characitures and grossly exaggerated versions of themselves. It's very similar to how the Simpsons has gone but it at least hasn't ruined the good episodes because it was genuinely brilliant at it's peak. As far as American sitcoms goes the like of Cheers shits all over Friends.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There's clips of Friends without the laughter track on YouTube, it's weird to watch.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
There's clips of Friends without the laughter track on YouTube, it's weird to watch.
Yeah, the punchlines and general dialogue is written and structured around pause cues for the laughter, it's quite stilted without it isn't it.

starman

I know some people hate it, like the coldplay of comedy. I haven't watched it in years, maybe i am still a little drunk but its pretty good as nostalgic lazy hungover sunday tv

Probably the longest I've watched channel 5 who seem to have the rights to it now

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Season 1-4 are great and I will still watch now and then.

The show declined season on season after that, chiefly exemplified by that "Stiflers mum" Lady from American pie. What the hell was that character?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I catch it sometimes late at night and I enjoy watching it. It's silly fun but the writing is surprisingly solid tbh.