G&G balloon fund for Wembley

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
It was a bit of a let down. Could've been organised better.

kps88

Bottom line is green and gold got alot of air time. Every shot of the crowd had scarves twirling in the air.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Those balloons were annoying. Didn't need them. There was plenty of scarfs and even our commentator paid attention to them and informed what they were about but later on he slated the balloons as annoying as they were.

MrBurns

Id say that the initial hope of a 'sea of Green and Gold' set expectations high. And it didnt turn out like this.

But, I believe those that made the effort were rewarded as it certainly got some air time. As was said, every picture of the united fans had a few Norwich fans stood next to them ;). So I think the subliminal message that was being sent, worked.

Well done!

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
G&G certainly got mentioned on a number of occassions but, as others have said, the 18,000 (?) balloons was very disappointing. Perhaps the focus should have been on handing out scarves which would have made more of an impact.

Did Ferguson put on a red scarf as a G&G protest.

Boothy

In fairness, a load of feckwits ignored instructions and a good couple hundred were thrown outside the ground, and the balloons were all in the top tier

Mister Jeebus

In fairness, a load of feckwits ignored instructions and a good couple hundred were thrown outside the ground, and the balloons were all in the top tier
Hindsight is always 20/20, it seemed like a good idea but maybe it required too much coordination of too many disparate groups of people.

Boothy

Hindsight is always 20/20, it seemed like a good idea but maybe it required too much coordination of too many disparate groups of people.
I dont know we couldve planned it any better, I gave out 400 balloons today, and 12,000 i think it was balloons were let off, and it looked good from where I was at least, maybe you couldnt see it at home, as we were all at the top, I was two rows from the back myself :lol:

Mister Jeebus

I dont know we couldve planned it any better, I gave out 400 balloons today, and 12,000 i think it was balloons were let off, and it looked good from where I was at least, maybe you couldnt see it at home, as we were all at the top, I was two rows from the back myself :lol:
Aside from the handful that made it on to the pitch you could only see a few in the stands. I guess it could just have been unfortunate where they all were relative to the cameras. Still, glad to hear you'd a great view!

M13

Reserve Team Player
It turned out as a bit of a disaster on our part really... we had a box full to give out, and we only ended up getting to the ground about an hour before so it was pretty rushed. I ended up just standing in the middle of Wembley way with queues of people around me, I managed to shift all the ones I'd taken from the box. Everyone seemed absolutely wrecked though, really pissed :D

Got into the ground and it was all very diluted. There were balloons flying around throughout the match and there was a mountain of them at the bottom of the stand but it didn't have the effect that I'd hoped.

The idea and effort was there, and noone will take that away from anyone. Ahh well.

Mister Jeebus

I thought especially with it being a final the alcohol factor might throw a spanner in the works, blowing up balloons pissed is feckin hard work! Live and learn I guess!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I was about 30 rows up from pitch level and it didn't look great...very sporadic and a bit underwhelming. However lots made it onto the pitch somehow and the G&G presence was immense (I even saw at least 10 scarves in the club wembley section and when the team collected the cup there were even a few people around them in the Royal box section!!) so it was a success overall certainly and the balloons played their part. Having almost the entire United end garbed in G&G at Wembley for a cup final can only be seen as a great success...apart from the Believe thing, which I still can't believe we persist with

Number7

Ret's Slave
Dunno if this has been mentioned but the Glazers were there, so the G&G stuff and the very audiable chant of 'We want Glazer out' would have had significant impact.

The balloons though ffs :lol: (Although to be fair if you watch a replay of Rooneys header you can see load of them burst on the floor)

M13

Reserve Team Player
I was about 30 rows up from pitch level and it didn't look great...very sporadic and a bit underwhelming. However lots made it onto the pitch somehow and the G&G presence was immense (I even saw at least 10 scarves in the club wembley section and when the team collected the cup there were even a few people around them in the Royal box section!!) so it was a success overall certainly and the balloons played their part. Having almost the entire United end garbed in G&G at Wembley for a cup final can only be seen as a great success...apart from the Believe thing, which I still can't believe we persist with
How you sit in that Club Wembley thing for every game I will never know. What an absolutely shit matchday experience that place is.

Mockney

Alright then but you do say that you go to pretty much every Wembley game, right?
yeah, me and my dad are members of the England supporters club, we get various different tickets...I have been in it though, and it was better than I expected for a club game (Arse vs Chels) and appalling for an England one.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
only saw a dozen or so balloons on the pitch (on the TV), couldnt really make them out clearly in the cloud, though there were plenty of scarves and the likes.

good effort though, just trying to imagine the effect of 10,000 balloons flooding the pitch. That would get some attention for sure.

Boothy

It turned out as a bit of a disaster on our part really... we had a box full to give out, and we only ended up getting to the ground about an hour before so it was pretty rushed. I ended up just standing in the middle of Wembley way with queues of people around me, I managed to shift all the ones I'd taken from the box. Everyone seemed absolutely wrecked though, really pissed :D

Got into the ground and it was all very diluted. There were balloons flying around throughout the match and there was a mountain of them at the bottom of the stand but it didn't have the effect that I'd hoped.

The idea and effort was there, and noone will take that away from anyone. Ahh well.
Heh everybody was crowding around you :lol:

decorativeed

I was given a couple of balloons, but the trouble was that when I blew them up and batted them out into the crown, they just ended up resting between the seats a couple of rows down. They lasted about two minutes before someone trod on them.

Helium canisters required next time!

Heardy

I was really hoping Evra grabbed a green and gold scarf off a fan and put it around his neck as he went to lift the cup.

That would have been legendary, although i'm not sure what Fergie would have made of it.

I actually dreamt last night that upon walking up the steps to collect the trophy, they took their shirts off, and were all wearing the green and gold 92-94 kit underneath. Alas it was only a dream, but that would have been a great middle finger to the glazers. :devil:

ralphie88

I thought they did the job inside the stadium. They weren't intended to swamp the pitch or anything, which was a good job as most ended up piled up against the backs of the hoardings, in Club Wembley, or in the disabled section!

Overall green and gold was everywhere, despite the stewards confiscating dozens of banners, and everyone arriving too late to release balloons at the same time.

Only heard one negative comment about the protest all day. Additionally, a load of United employees were on the front row, explaining that they couldn't be seen next to the green and gold flags because it would get them into trouble if they were caught on camera.

Mockney

Can someone explain to me what the banging coming from the right hand side of the United end was all about...It sounded like someone trying to kick the shit out of a wooden table. I assumed it must have been people popping the balloons at first but it sounded louder than that

Even if the balloons didn't filter across, enough of them got on the pitch to make it on camera...and since it's all about being a visual protest, job done I'd say.

I was really hoping Evra grabbed a green and gold scarf off a fan and put it around his neck as he went to lift the cup.

That would have been legendary, although i'm not sure what Fergie would have made of it.

I actually dreamt last night that upon walking up the steps to collect the trophy, they took their shirts off, and were all wearing the green and gold 92-94 kit underneath. Alas it was only a dream, but that would have been a great middle finger to the glazers. :devil:
Some people in the Royal Box, or just near it, were garbed in G&G and were very visible in shot when we collected the cup...So somewhat of a coup in that department

Heardy

Some people in the Royal Box, or just near it, were garbed in G&G and were very visible in shot when we collected the cup...So somewhat of a coup in that department
I did see that mate a coup indeed.

I thought on the whole the G&G got plenty of coverage on the day, and for that alone the fans with the scarves, and those who helped with the balloons should be applauded.

It would have been nice to have seen every fan holding a green and gold scarf instead of the "BELIEVE" slogan, but the logistics of that requires the involvement of the club/Wembley.

As Gaffs said, i'm sure the players would have been told to not take a G&G scarf or hat. Would have been immense though. But their position in the squad may have come under question if Fergie had told them otherswise.

Nonetheless, a job well done by the players and fans :keano:

decorativeed

I thought they did the job inside the stadium. They weren't intended to swamp the pitch or anything, which was a good job as most ended up piled up against the backs of the hoardings, in Club Wembley, or in the disabled section!

Overall green and gold was everywhere, despite the stewards confiscating dozens of banners, and everyone arriving too late to release balloons at the same time.

Only heard one negative comment about the protest all day.
Additionally, a load of United employees were on the front row, explaining that they couldn't be seen next to the green and gold flags because it would get them into trouble if they were caught on camera.
What was that then? One 60ish year-old bloke with a big white beard (a United fan) told us loudly "Red and white are United's colours, not bloody yellow and green!". "Nob'ead" was the reply...

A few Villa fans made Norwich City remarks when we were waiting for the ploice to let us through to Wembley Park after the match, but that was it really.

ralphie88

What was that then? One 60ish year-old bloke with a big white beard (a United fan) told us loudly "Red and white are United's colours, not bloody yellow and green!". "Nob'ead" was the reply...

A few Villa fans made Norwich City remarks when we were waiting for the ploice to let us through to Wembley Park after the match, but that was it really.
United also made sure that a fair few of the front rows on the third tier were filled with their own staff. Whilst some were very supportive of the protest, a lot were worried that being seen near a G&G banner would result in them getting into trouble.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds

Ferguson seemed to be making a point by wearing a red scarf.