Gabriel Martinelli

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Looks a good player.

Has he been picked purely because Aubameyang was dropped or has he been picked even before that a bit regularly by Arteta?

Seemed like I only really saw him come on as a sub before.
He’s actually taken Emile Smith-Rowe’s place in on the LW. I’m hoping we can fit the all into the team at some point. Either by switching to a 433 and bring in ESR for Xhaka, or Martinelli moving up front. Both of their games would have to mature though for a move central to work.

NewYorkRed

Laca was picked ahead of Auba.

Martinelli got into the due to an injury from Smith-Rowe and Gabi has instantly impressed. And there is only one place next to Ödegaard and Saka.
I can see them dropping Odegaard and play ESR central and playing Saka and him either side of him potentially.

Hoof the ball

Thing is, we'll have to see how the kids do vs quality sides, because this season they've fallen short on almost every occasion. Chelsea, Spurs, us, Liverpool, City. All losses. It's ok doing it vs. Leeds and Southampton, but it's all purple patches until you're making it count vs. those you're competing against for top four.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Thing is, we'll have to see how the kids do vs quality sides, because this season they've fallen short on almost every occasion. Chelsea, Spurs, us, Liverpool, City. All losses. It's ok doing it vs. Leeds and Southampton, but it's all purple patches until you're making it count vs. those you're competing against for top four.
We beat spurs, but I agree with you.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
The kids haven’t fallen short. It’s the senior players that have been letting us down. Partey has been poor until basically this week (and he’s about to leave for ACON). Xhaka has been injured (and does one brain dead thing per match even when he’s playing well). And Aubameyang has been awful (when he’s turns up at all). Lacazette has been alright (though he’s not clinical enough).

Everyone else is 24 or younger and have been portraying the maturity and qualities they should be looking to our senior players for.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He’s a good player. Has the potential to be very special. The problem is Arsenal’s fans, I can’t help but hope their players fail miserably because they’re such an insufferable bunch

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
He’s a good player. Has the potential to be very special. The problem is Arsenal’s fans, I can’t help but hope their players fail miserably because they’re such an insufferable bunch
:(

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I can’t say the AFTV’s of the world help our reputation a great deal, to be fair.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Very Rashfordy goals. If he stays fit he's going to have a really good year.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Looks a good player.

Has he been picked purely because Aubameyang was dropped or has he been picked even before that a bit regularly by Arteta?

Seemed like I only really saw him come on as a sub before.
Thought he started against us recently and played well. Works hard and is a technically good player, can see him being a good player.

sewey89

:lol: sorry.. see below..!

I can’t say the AFTV’s of the world help our reputation a great deal, to be fair.
Absolutely! I’ve just read my post back and realised how harsh it might sound. The fans I’m referring to are the AFTV/Twitter/Social media fans. I know each club has their share of idiot fans, but with the arsenal ones they just seem so much more common. Getting carried away EVERY time things go well and getting so down EVERY time things go bad. You’ve got the spine of a really good team. I do think you’ll miss out on top 4 this season, but you’ll be a hell of a lot closer than you have been for the past few years

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

Absolutely! I’ve just read my post back and realised how harsh it might sound. The fans I’m referring to are the AFTV/Twitter/Social media fans. I know each club has their share of idiot fans, but with the arsenal ones they just seem so much more common. Getting carried away EVERY time things go well and getting so down EVERY time things go bad. You’ve got the spine of a really good team. I do think you’ll miss out on top 4 this season, but you’ll be a hell of a lot closer than you have been for the past few years
You'll think I'm some kind of weirdo, but I've never watched AFTV apart few a few 3-4 second clips that became memes. Maybe we are an insufferable bunch and I just don't know.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
He’s actually taken Emile Smith-Rowe’s place in on the LW. I’m hoping we can fit the all into the team at some point. Either by switching to a 433 and bring in ESR for Xhaka, or Martinelli moving up front. Both of their games would have to mature though for a move central to work.
Having 4 players for 3 positions all performing well is a very good thing. Makes it easier to rotate without sacrificing too much quality on the pitch, and you can still give each player ~75% of available minutes to keep them happy. All four of them being only 20-23 years old is looking good for the future as well.

sewey89

You'll think I'm some kind of weirdo, but I've never watched AFTV apart few a few 3-4 second clips that became memes. Maybe we are an insufferable bunch and I just don't know.
The best advice I can give you is to keep it that way :lol:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I think Partey and Aubameyang have been the main weakness, not the youngsters. Arsenal have now scored 18 goals by players 21 or under. The next highest club youngsters have scored 9.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Having 4 players for 3 positions all performing well is a very good thing. Makes it easier to rotate without sacrificing too much quality on the pitch, and you can still give each player ~75% of available minutes to keep them happy. All four of them being only 20-23 years old is looking good for the future as well.
Very true. None of them seem the type to cry about not playing every game, which is good.

NoPace

Considering how deep Lacazette is dropping maybe Smith-Rowe will just play as the "striker" and Martinelli can keep making runs inside the fullback which he seems better suited for than a central role.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I am more than happy if this young team can beat all the "lessor" team and just lost to all the quality side, which it means only 10 to 12 games a season. Not too bad.

It is the senior players let the team down, not the young players.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

Have you thought it maybe possible that AFTV attracts narcissistic types who like the sound of their own voice rather than that be the representation of a typical Arsenal fan? Most Arsenal fans do not appreciate AFTV for what it's worth.

sewey89

Have you thought it maybe possible that AFTV attracts narcissistic types who like the sound of their own voice rather than that be the representation of a typical Arsenal fan? Most Arsenal fans do not appreciate AFTV for what it's worth.
Very true, but they’re not the ones who are at the forefront whenever anything arsenal related is trending.. so I don’t see those as much. I do know one arsenal fan personally too, goes home and away every week and he’s so over the top whenever you win, so he pisses me off as well :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, he's a serious talent. His biggest problem is staying fit. Hopefully he gets over his injury issues.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Very true, but they’re not the ones who are at the forefront whenever anything arsenal related is trending.. so I don’t see those as much. I do know one arsenal fan personally too, goes home and away every week and he’s so over the top whenever you win, so he pisses me off as well :lol:
Been to Arsenal forums for over a decade. They are a deluded bunch to the T.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Serious talent. I realize it’ll never happen, but would for us to break the bank for him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Serious talent. I realize it’ll never happen, but would for us to break the bank for him.
I don't know what serious talent you are talking about. Martinelli had trial with Man Utd FOUR times and he was deemed not good enough for Man Utd. Not Man Utd quality.

Muchibwa

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know what serious talent you are talking about. Martinelli had trial with Man Utd FOUR times and he was deemed not good enough for Man Utd. Not Man Utd quality.
He is a rare talent to be honest, how can you doubt Martinelli's ability man, the boy is 20 and he will only get better

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This has been said a thousand times but Greenwood was the reason Martinelli didn't get signed, you don't need to be so upset about it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure he's too upset considering the club he supports currently has him :lol:
You say that but he sounds very upset United didn't rate him as highly as the talent we already had, despite being an Arsenal fan. Opposition fans get really weird on here when people don't laud their players with endless praise and have to get defensive about some trial that happened years ago.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's a good dribbler, but his finishing is really poor. If he works on that, he has the potential to be a lethal player.

Also, having Trent on toast defensively isn't an achievement as he's awful at the defending part of his game. Most of Liverpool's conceded goals tend to come from his flank.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
You say that but he sounds very upset United didn't rate him as highly as the talent we already had, despite being an Arsenal fan. Opposition fans get really weird on here when people don't laud their players with endless praise and have to get defensive about some trial that happened years ago.
If that is the case, then yes that is an odd reaction

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He's a good dribbler, but his finishing is really poor. If he works on that, he has the potential to be a lethal player.

Also, having Trent on toast defensively isn't an achievement as he's awful at the defending part of his game. Most of Liverpool's conceded goals tend to come from his flank.
His finishing isn't actually that bad, but I think it's more he's always stuck in two minds and wants to do a bit too much. He needs to focus on what he wants to be, either more of a creative player, or someone a bit more ruthless.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will be interesting to see how he develops

with Saka, Odegaard and Smith Rowe coming through as well there must be a temptation to push martinelli up top to best fit them in a team together, but I'm not sure that suits him or at least not yet.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Terrorized Trent to the point Klopp had to come out with some bollocks to defend him, even though he obviously got skinned about five times.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Player comes and goes. Includes Saka and Odegaard too. I have no interest to hype up any players. Just support and develop your own players, or recruit better scout/youth coach. Man Utd had the chance to sign him and thought he was not good enough. That was only 4 years ago.

Gandalf

Player comes and goes. Includes Saka and Odegaard too. I have no interest to hype up any players. Just support and develop your own players, or recruit better scout/youth coach. Man Utd had the chance to sign him and thought he was not good enough. That was only 4 years ago.
Don't want him. He would be rubbish in the Europa Conference League.