Gabriel Martinelli

Fenomeno9

I feel his performance this season is giving Tite something to think about because before the season he had an outsider chance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's a very good player. A dream for a direct, counter attack team.

Only query I have is sometimes he hesitates and waits for ball to come to him when it's passed rather than he runs onto it if people know what I mean so that gives defences an extra split second to get organised.

Brazil are stacked in final third, big favourites to win the world cup.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Struggling to see what the hype is all about.

He has pace - not sure what else?

SAFMUTD

Struggling to see what the hype is all about.

He has pace - not sure what else?
He's a really good player, fast, direct and skilfull. Only 21, he had a poor game tonight but that doesnt change the fact he's one of the best youngsters in the world.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
He's a really good player, fast, direct and skilfull. Only 21, he had a poor game tonight but that doesnt change the fact he's one of the best youngsters in the world.
I don't see it myself. I'd say Saka is miles better, has a greater impact on the game, doesn't rely on one facet, and gets Arsenal ticking a lot better than Martinelli. And he's younger I think?

FriedClams

hasn’t been great in 2023. Neither has zinchenko.

Abraxas

Very good player. Dunno whether he'll break into the world's elite or not but I find him pretty worrisome when he's running at our full back. Not a bad scoring record either for a wide forward, with some improvement possible there.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Misses Jesus stretching defenders against "normal" opposition but against City he was always going to struggle. Trossard couldn't do much either.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s easy to jump on after a few quiet games after a lot of football but he had a fantastic 2022 and is very exciting to watch. Quick feet, intelligent and dangerous.

Arsenal’s issue has been playing the same players week in week out and teams now doubling up on their wingers. They are out of steam but he is still a fantastic player.

SAFMUTD

I don't see it myself. I'd say Saka is miles better, has a greater impact on the game, doesn't rely on one facet, and gets Arsenal ticking a lot better than Martinelli. And he's younger I think?
Well of course Saka is better. He's probably the best player of his year bracket.

ti vu

It’s easy to jump on after a few quiet games after a lot of football but he had a fantastic 2022 and is very exciting to watch. Quick feet, intelligent and dangerous.

Arsenal’s issue has been playing the same players week in week out and teams now doubling up on their wingers. They are out of steam but he is still a fantastic player.
I understand the angle you come from I partially agree to some extend. However, I still believe Martinelli's own shortcoming that plays a part in his form right now.

He's hugely benefited from G.Jesus, who often move and occupy the wide attacking position. Also G.Jesus occupies the left wing more than the right. This helps dragging the defenders and create a space for Martinelli to shake off marker before receiving pass. Now it's easier for opposition to know who primarily receive pass on Arsenal left wing, and to assign extra defenders to defend. Before, you don't know when to assign two defenders on Jesus, or Martinelli when Jesus moves to left wing because they would just pass to whoever is in favored 1vs 1 situation.

Saka is on another level in comparison. He also runs the whole flank himself, when his supporting fullbacks are tasked with a more conservative role (a hybrid full back/ third CB role)

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Misses Jesus stretching defenders against "normal" opposition but against City he was always going to struggle. Trossard couldn't do much either.
He's been incredibly isolated on the left wing since Jesus got injured. The comparisons to Saka are weird because Saka has Odegaard playing very close to him on the right and White/Tomiyasu regularly overlapping.

Martinelli has to play with Xhaka, who is a lot less mobile and involved on the left than Odegaard is on the right, and Zinchenko, who drops into midfield more often than overlapping. It's not really a surprise he's been struggling more recently.

arthurka

21 year old kid who has shown a lot of potential. Talking about going overboard with one bad game Vs probably the strongest side in the league.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I think he might be better down the middle, his pace can stretch defenders. Not sure about his finishing though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He misses Jesus. Nketiah is the type of player that will stay fairly central whereas Jesus liked to come out to the left and have Martinelli rotate fluidly with him in terms of the centre role.

Remember the geese

He's a good player and it is possible that he could step up in the future and become a top player. However, it is far from the guarantee and inevitability that Arsenal fans would lead you to believe.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Well of course Saka is better. He's probably the best player of his year bracket.
Chelsea have 3 new 2001 players: Fernandez, Badiashile and Mudryk - but probably only Fernandez comes close to Saka's value yeah.

Only other one I can think of is Kvaratskhelia at Napoli right now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm sure he'll be reet, he's talented and plays in a good team, young players go through bad patches, it happens.

Jeffthered

I only became aware of this thread today, and I think it is so very sad that we let this one go. He is a superb young talent, he knows how to play the game, and he'll get better.

Idxomer

Long-term he's going to be a centre forward, right ?
He hasn't shown any indication of being a prolific goalscorer in the future. He is also not strong physically and his main strength is running fast with the ball.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Rashford had a two year spell at 22-24 where he struggled, he is young this will happen.
He struggled in a struggling team.

This Arsenal time (were) are flying high.