Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Red_Hope

Some people really have no patience.

I thin he looks every bit a United player if he's willing to get his head down and try to improve himself. He's very talented.
Agreed. The talent is definitely there, but there is scope for lots of improvement, which under Fergie he should.

His movement of the ball in and around the box is the first thing that needs to be looked at.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Some people really have no patience.

I thin he looks every bit a United player if he's willing to get his head down and try to improve himself. He's very talented.
Thats the problem, he gets his head down runs and never looks up thus no end product at all.

Seriously though perhaps I am being harsh. But I just dont know if we can afford to give him games at his current level when we are now in the business end of the season...

The Physio

Looks so far off Utd quality it aint even funny. Please can we send him on loan to a PL club to gain some sort of experience
The fella hasn't even celebrated his 21st birthday yet and you're writing him off completely, despite the fact he's had more good performances than bad?

Himself and Evra tore CSKA to pieces down the left. Don't forget he had a right back behind him today who didn't play particularly well.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I don't get this actually. Everyone at the game was moaning at him and all. No, he wasn't great, but he actually tried to make things happen on occasions, which wasn't something you could've said about many on the day.

The guy looks a fecking good player for his age, though his fitness looks to be poor. Youngster in poor fitness after returning from long injury shocker...

Frolics

The thing that needs to be remembered when assessing Obertan's ability is that he is coming back from an injury and that we are expecting way too much from him. Okay so he hasn't been overwhelmingly impressive but he sure as hell doesn't deserve some of the shit he is getting from certain posts. I think he'll come good in time. He is adapting, how many people wrote Evra off in his first season?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought he was alright today considering he had Neville behind him.

Yes he was inconsistent with his touches/dribbling at time but very promising still I thought. Surprised he was taken off, I would've taken Welbeck off and played him and Valencia on the wings.

Needs to develop his crossing and shooting though, I don't think he has these aspects to his game yet.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
What was going on today, i mean er out on the right? And we persisted with it for an entire half.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
All of his good performances for us have been on the left. I don't know why he and Welbeck weren't swapping sides like we used to do with Ronaldo and whoever played with him.

When they finally did swap over (in the first half injury time) they didn't really improve, but I still think they should've changed over earlier.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Neville game him zero help in the first half.

He doesnt seem like he wants to win. But I think this will come.

He done well most times he got the ball.
Yeah I bet he loves losing, probably even considered scoring an 'accidental' own goal or two but he's just not established enough yet.

I hope we sell him and he's a failure.

OneUnited24

Made a few good passes and a few good touches but overall he was poor, was reluctant to take on his man and would often go back to Neville

OneUnited24

Given time and games, he can do well here. He has the two of the three most important things that a good winger needs, pace and trickery. His crossing needs some work which can develop over time.
Not having a dig but when have we seen that? the only time i think hes ever done any trickery that actually resulted in beating his man/setting up a goal was against Wolfburg, we usually see him do a few step overs in the same location and then pass it back

Scholesgoals

christ, one bad game and suddenly.

He actually has a good eye for a simple pass and found rooney quite well throughout the game. I think often with these types of games, having an understrength team all round was a hindrance to him at this early stage in his united career, i think we actually suffered from all over the park from a lack of team cohesion and that showed in our at times dodgy passing.

Its just unfortunate that we are missing out on an opportunity to further blood our youngsters - however they will have taken alot from todays game.

Look at the progression of Fabio and Rafael for an example of the benefit of big game experience. Today in comparison Rafael clearly looks the better prospect, however Fabio was touted as being the better player on arrival.

So have patience and have faith, im fairly confident this lad will come on leaps and bounds, possibly not this year, but for gods sake, we could have this player for 9 or so years, thats a long time to improve

Evans is going to be one of the best centre backs in world football in a couple of years time however.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Not having a dig but when have we seen that? the only time i think hes ever done any trickery that actually resulted in beating his man/setting up a goal was against Wolfburg, we usually see him do a few step overs in the same location and then pass it back
Thats true to a certain extent. Firstly, he hasnt had much gametime to show his full array of tricks in the first team. But I remember seeing a few when he played for the reserves.
I think the primary motive right now is to let him settle into the league and adjust to the pace of it.

Scholesgoals

christ, one bad game and suddenly.

He actually has a good eye for a simple pass and found rooney quite well throughout the game. I think often with these types of games, having an understrength team all round was a hindrance to him at this early stage in his united career, i think we actually suffered from all over the park from a lack of team cohesion and that showed in our at times dodgy passing.

Its just unfortunate that we are missing out on an opportunity to further blood our youngsters - however they will have taken alot from todays game.

Look at the progression of Fabio and Rafael for an example of the benefit of big game experience. Today in comparison Rafael clearly looks the better prospect, however Fabio was touted as being the better player on arrival.

So have patience and have faith, im fairly confident this lad will come on leaps and bounds, possibly not this year, but for gods sake, we could have this player for 9 or so years, thats a long time to improve

Evans is going to be one of the best centre backs in world football in a couple of years time however.
Come on then you cnuts is anyone going to challenge me on this.

You all sound like my fecking mother!

Ekeke

The only game so far where he looked any better than his exploits in the Toulon tournament in the summer, was his champions league cameo. We've seen a glimpse of what he's capable of, hopefully he'll learn and improve quite fast in the second half of the season and can be a dependable winger next season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Ah so everyone has finally realised he isn't actually all that good. Over hyped by pretty much everyone on here.

Don't get me wrong, he sure has the talent but he's in a similiar position to all of our youngsters. He doesn't have that special spark. He could easily go down the same road as Nani.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah so everyone has finally realised he isn't actually all that good. Over hyped by pretty much everyone on here.

Don't get me wrong, he sure has the talent but he's in a similiar position to all of our youngsters. He doesn't have that special spark. He could easily go down the same road as Nani.
Of course he could. But he might not.

It's fairly obvious that he's got a lot of potential.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He is only young. I don't think he's been over-hyped at all - people comment on what they see. He showed some real potential in his early games, and what's been proved is that he isn't yet consistent but has ability.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He is only young. I don't think he's been over-hyped at all - people comment on what they see. He showed some real potential in his early games, and what's been proved is that he isn't yet consistent but has ability.
Exactly.

He's shown glimpses of being a real talent and has surpassed expecations (mine anyway) in his first few games with the club. A couple of poor performances won't take away from that. Or at least they shouldn't.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
For all the bashers, I thought he has already done way better than an 18yr old Ronnie and a 23yr old Nani. His passing instinct is quite there, he still needs to understand himself more and become more dangerous. Still, I'd play him in easy games as his back injury was a bad one, we will rely on Park, Giggs and Valencia for big games, Obertan could do well as a sub.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
For all the bashers, I thought he has already done way better than an 18yr old Ronnie and a 23yr old Nani. His passing instinct is quite there, he still needs to understand himself more and become more dangerous. Still, I'd play him in easy games as his back injury was a bad one, we will rely on Park, Giggs and Valencia for big games, Obertan could do well as a sub.
This simply is not true. Ronaldo on his debut v Bolton was incredible and got the whole football world talking and only played for 30 mins.

On reflection I do take back my initial comments in regard to Obertan I just feel he is very very raw. And it worries me that Blanc was so happy to do business with us for him.

He needs games to get up to a level where I could trust him in big games, but with no FA Cup now and all our league games crucial I just do not see when we can afford to let him play. Hence the reason why a loan deal may be the best option.

I really think we need a new winger whom is already established going into the 2nd half of the season. This will cost money though so feck knows how this will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.