Gabriel Obertan | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I actually quite like Gullit but that was foolish.
Yeah I like Gullit, he tends to get shouted over whenever Souness or Hoddle or Redknapp or some other ego's in the studio but he's generally quite good.

That does sound stupid though....Owens movement is very clever most of the time

Adebesi

Yeah I like Gullit, he tends to get shouted over whenever Souness or Hoddle or Redknapp or some other ego's in the studio but he's generally quite good.

That does sound stupid though....Owens movement is very clever most of the time
To be fair he wasnt saying Owen's movement is bad generally, he was saying that goal was not an example of Owen's good movement, it was an example of his good goal-hanging. Gullit found himself in a hole and he was trying to dig upwards.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love watching Owen's movement in that. The way he's always alert and on the move, and how he darts forward when Obertank has skilled his way through. Simple yet elegant. Terrible defending perhaps, but I prefer to be glass half full.
Good observation. That wee last second dart forward was completely instinctive and meant he couldn't miss. I don't think the other strikers at our club would do the same. Amazing the difference such minor details can make.

I've been comforting myself over Owen's slightly underwhelming contribution so far with a mantra of "ah but he's got such clever movement" but it was cold comfort after a few sub-par displays. Reassuring to see such a concrete example.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Good observation. That wee instinctive dart forward was completely instinctive and meant he couldn't miss. I don't think the other strikers at our club would do the same. Amazing the difference such minor details can make.

I've been comforting myself over Owen's slightly underwhelming contribution so far with a mantra of "ah but he's got such clever movement" but it was cold comfort after a few sub-par displays. Reassuring to see such a concrete example.
Its probably the first time Owen as looked fit/sharp for me. I thought he played very well and was still full of running at the end of the game which is great to see.

Hopefully he can push on now.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Its probably the first time Owen as looked fit/sharp for me. I thought he played very well and was still full of running at the end of the game which is great to see.

Hopefully he can push on now.
Fergie said he'd been looking increasingly sharp in training. He's only 29, so no reason why he can't kick on and maintain that level.

Hans Moleman

Good observation. That wee last second dart forward was completely instinctive and meant he couldn't miss. I don't think the other strikers at our club would do the same. Amazing the difference such minor details can make.

I can't tell, but just in case...

BlahRules

Not just by that piece of action yesterday, I have seen Obertan actually use a step over to beat a man in one of his games for us. The ball was at a stand still, the defender fell on his arse. I don't quite remember the game.
Plus, I have seen his youtube vidoes as well, there is plenty of evidence there as well, thus if you are a believer in youtube. (lol).
Anyway, even if it was one piece of skill, how many players do you see do that? It was great great piece of play and his teammates appreciated that. Noticed he rather got his shoes shined than the goal scorer?
he done against chelsea right back, ivanic or something

Decotron

Man Utd winger Obertan: I learned my tricks on the streets
17.12.09 | tribalfootball.com

Obertan has excited United fans with his cameo performances this season in the Premiership and Champions League.

On his box of tricks, Obertan told United Review: "I learned to play football in the street with my friends. And when you play street football, the things you want to do are all the tricks like nutmegs. My favourite is probably the stepover.

"I do like doing tricks – but only if they are effective. There’s no point doing it if there’s nothing at the end of it."

Nani obviously didnt play football on the same street!!!

twitter thread suggester
To be fair, there wasn't much at the end of his tricks last night - it was only really when he used his pace that he was effective.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A fairly mediocre display last night and his "street tricks" were consistently ineffective.

Still, he passed the ball accurately as usual (23 out of 28 passes reached a team-mate, which is really impressive for a winger). This means our attacks rarely break down when he gets the ball, so I've no problem with him trying some fancy stuff when gets one on one with the last defender. Makes a big difference having a winger who so rarely wastes possession.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
A fairly mediocre display last night and his "street tricks" were consistently ineffective.

Still, he passed the ball accurately as usual (23 out of 28 passes reached a team-mate, which is really impressive for a winger). This means our attacks rarely break down when he gets the ball, so I've no problem with him trying some fancy stuff when gets one on one with the last defender. Makes a big difference having a winger who so rarely wastes possession.
Too true, he does play it nice and simple. If his tricks don't come off he doesn't keep trying them again and again until he's tackled he'll lay it off.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I still dont understand how he only cost us £3m? Was he going to be out of contract or something?

Feed Me

I'm hungry

He's built up a really impressive partnership with Pat when they've played. I'm interested to see how that comes along.

As you say though, he dicked around far too much (ala Ronaldo in his early days) when on the ball though. Hopefully there'll be less and less of that. On the one occasion that he was more direct in actually going past his man, he brought a good save from Hahnemann.

Plan M

Obertan is going to be such a great player, wait and see. He's full of tricks, is confident, can go past players for fun and has an eye for a pass.

Definately a rough diamond waiting to be polished.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His tricks are outstanding and with experience and games he'll improve them in the way that he'll know when to use them or not.We could clearly see that his fitness levels aren't optimal yet because he was too static (watching Evra and not helping him by making certain runs and opening up spaces)

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
His tricks are outstanding and with experience and games he'll improve them in the way that he'll know when to use them or not.We could clearly see that his fitness levels aren't optimal yet because he was too static (watching Evra and not helping him by making certain runs and opening up spaces)

Noticed this as well mate, the problem is off the ball movement is not so easy to improve, just look at Anderson.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's probably one of the most difficult thing to learn because it's connected with footballing intelligence.Hopefully Obertan and Evra will develop a better understanding, one thing is sure Evra will talk to him about it and will help him

He had plenty of tricks last night but not much end product. That game should be part of his learning experience because he is still new here and possesses plenty of potential for improvement.

One thing he definitely needs to work on is his shooting because his pace gets him in great positions. The finish is not quite what you would expect of such a strong and talented player though.

KGBhoy

I wonder if Obertan will score more goals this season than Aderson :)

Decotron

Anyone see his post match interview on MUTV? Perfect English and a very honest assessment of our performance last night. Nani is going to have work hard to keep this lad out of the team if he continues to improve and get his full fitness back

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Gabriel Obertan has hit the ground running since making his long-awaited United debut in late October. The Frenchman is now hoping to make further progress, following his first Barclays Premier League start against Wolves...

So Gabriel, were you pleased with your first league start?

Yes, I'm quite happy. I just wanted to play my game and show my qualities, hopefully I did that. I felt I was better in the first half when I slowed down a bit.

Were you nervous?

Not really, because Pat [Evra] was behind me. He knows how I play so it's easier for me. He can place me when we're defending, it's very helpful. But really everyone was encouraging me.

Is English football what you expected?

Yes. It’s quick – there’s a lot of space behind defenders. And every team wants to win the game when they play. In France, sometimes the first thing the team wants to do is not lose. But here, they all want to win. That makes the game more open and you have more chances. Every game is difficult. Even in the [4-1] win against Portsmouth it was difficult. Every game is different, and each one is like a combat, it’s a fight.

Have you had to adapt your game?

Maybe a bit, but I think my qualities were made for this type of football. So it was quite easy to fit in here. I was built for English football.

Are there any players you’ve modelled your game on?

When I was younger I liked Thierry Henry… then I liked Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo.

What's your favourite bit of trickery?
I learned to play football in the street with my friends. And when you play street football, the things you want to do are all the tricks like nutmegs. My favourite is probably the stepover. So I like doing tricks - but only if they are effective. There's no point doing it if there's nothing at the end of it.

United have a tradition of wingers – are you an out-and-out winger?
I think for now I am a true winger. But maybe in the future I could play forward or striker. I like one-v-one – I’m quick and I like to run in behind defenders and create opportunities.

When teams put a lot of people behind the ball, does that make the winger’s job even more important?

Yes. I think wingers are very important in modern football. In the game against Besiktas [at OT in late November] it was quite difficult because all the players were like defenders. I think the winger’s role is important in that type of game.

You've already built up a good rapport with the fans...

I’m very pleased by the way they have supported me. When I hear them singing my name, the only thing I want to do is give them something back. It’s like a big boost behind you, like someone pushing you on to make that pass or score that goal. It’s inspiring.

You usually switch wings during the game. Is that something you’ve been told to do, or does it come naturally?

I just do it. If I have an opportunity to be efficient or help someone, I’ll do it. As long as the other winger wants to, I like to test the other full-back.

Will we see a first United goal soon?
I hope so! I think it’s possible. I had chances against Blackburn. I just have to work more on my finishing. I’m confident it will come though.

How will you celebrate when it does come?
Maybe with Pat. Yeah, I’ll do something with Pat.

What is it like training with the great players at United?

Very different than in France, because the quality is much higher and you have to adapt yourself to that. The game’s quicker, the passes are always good, so there’s no excuse or reason to complain. You just have to adapt yourself and be focused.

What are your goals between now and the end of the season?

Just to improve and do the best for the club. And score some goals, also.

What do you think United can achieve this season?
I think we have the team to win everything. I think we can challenge in every competition. We’re already in the semi-finals of the Carling Cup…

Any thoughts about making the French World Cup squad?

Not really. I’m in the Under-21s now, and I’m just focused on that and the club. But if I play well, you never know.

And your goals for the next 10 years?

I’ve not thought that far ahead so I don’t know yet. It seems like such a long time away, but Jim Ryan has said to me that a career goes so fast. My goals are just to win titles with Manchester United and play well here.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
he is growing on me, i have to say. A Welbeck, Macheda, Tosic and Obertan front four seems like it could be quite a success.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
or a few years in the future. when i say a front four i obviously dont mean in a 4-2-4.
I doubt any of them will become that good actually but that's just my opinion. I think one of them will make it at United, one of them will fail completely and the other two will ply their trade at decent clubs but nowhere near United level.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Looks so far off Utd quality it aint even funny. Please can we send him on loan to a PL club to gain some sort of experience

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Looks so far off Utd quality it aint even funny. Please can we send him on loan to a PL club to gain some sort of experience
that wouldnt help imo, he needs to be at the club and learn under Fergie and from the veterns like rooney, giggs and scholes. The talent is there, his early energy from the transfer has worn off and teams are adapting to him. Remember hes a work in progress and is very young still.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Some people really have no patience.

I thin he looks every bit a United player if he's willing to get his head down and try to improve himself. He's very talented.

Plenty of talent and footballing abilty but application and end product was desperately poor today.

He's young and learning though so we should be a little understanding. We expect him to improve with more time and training here. He was not the only player to put in a sub par performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.