Game 27: Slovakia vs England

Siorac

Come on England!

If they win, they will fire every team that has four points from the first two games into the next round.

saivet

Just reading, Roy is planning on making a lot of changes.

Rooney, Alli, Walker, Rose, Sterling and Kane out for Wilshere, Henderson, Clyne, Bertrand, Sturridge and Vardy.

Bit of a gamble to be looking to rest so many players, but should still be fine to beat Slovakia.

Nickosaur

Just reading, Roy is planning on making a lot of changes.

Rooney, Alli, Walker, Rose, Sterling and Kane out for Wilshere, Henderson, Clyne, Bertrand, Sturridge and Vardy.

Bit of a gamble to be looking to rest so many players, but should still be fine to beat Slovakia.
Yeah that does seem a bit of a gamble. Although I guess you could argue that Alli, Sterling and Kane could have been dropped anyway - all three have looked pretty poor so far.

saivet

Yeah that does seem a bit of a gamble. Although I guess you could argue that Alli, Sterling and Kane could have been dropped anyway - all three have looked pretty poor so far.
Agreed. Even, resting Rooney I think would be fine. I think our replacement full backs are fine, but would prefer if Walker and Rose started instead, to give our back four another game together. Plus they've both been very good.

Telegram Sam

I can understand Ali, Sterling and Kane being dropped for their (lack of) contribution thus far, but to rest the other 3 in anticipation of reaching the knock outs, is a bit premature. England should definitely qualify, but Roy will be setting himself up for a fall if the gamble backfires.

I think Clyne/Bertrand are capable enough as cover, but losing Rooney's experience, for the relatively inexperienced (on a bigger stage) duo of Henderson/Wilshere, could be asking for trouble. Especially with Dier chucked in, and the fact they're both coming into the tournament on the back of recovering from injuries. They're handy players when on form, mind, so hope they can get the job done

England to scrape it, by the one goal.

Reactions: Grinner

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If both teams draw, they will both effectively qualify regardless of the Wales result. Slovakia would only need one to do better than one of the other remaining 3rd placed teams as they would have finished above Albania.

Ban

I hope England will win and with Wales win or at least a draw it will mean we'll already have 2 3rd placed teams with 3 points which means 4 points at least is enough to go to the next round.

Red Stone

England will play with caution to secure qualification rather than risk ending up with four points in third place. Wouldn't be surprised to see another scoreless draw. Slovakia also have a good chance of qualifying with a point, but could very well go out with a loss, so I don't expect them to go balls out for a win either. Drab match incoming.

I'm watching the Wales game.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'd like to see:

Hart
Walker---Cahill---Smalling---Rose
Dier
Wilshere---Rooney
Alli
Vardy===Sturridge
Ideally I'd like to drop Alli as well, but Kane and Sterling might be enough to start with. Walker and Rose provide enough width to play Vardy and Sturridge as central strikers, with Dier able to drop back if the centre-backs have to cover for one of the fullbacks (one stays back when the other goes of course) and Wilshere and Rooney should hopefully provide creativity along with work-rate. If Alli is dropped as well, then Henderson might be an option in Rooney's place, with Wayne replacing Alli further forward, but honestly I'd prefer a out-of-form Alli over Henderson or Milner. Rashford to come-on if we need a goal, but otherwise keep him as far away from Skrtel as possible.

In reality I expect a much more cautious approach, resulting in a drab game with little of interest, but hopefully enough to secure first place in the group.

SqueakyWeasel

Is this 6 changes rumour true? For the sake of keeping the squad happy? Did he not see France last night?

Woy is dropping BOTH full-backs, Rooney, and 3 others.

That second half team was my bet so ! can understand the two forward changes (Sterling and Kane for Vardy and Studge) but to change the mid-field engine and both full-backs is utter madness!

Does he not know how important it is to top this group … and he's going in with Henderson and Wilshire, Clyne and Bertrand!

FFS – this has got nightmare run-in written all over it!

saivet

Is this 6 changes rumour true? For the sake of keeping the squad happy? Did he not see France last night?

Woy is dropping BOTH full-backs, Rooney, and 3 others.

That second half team was my bet so ! can understand the two forward changes (Sterling and Kane for Vardy and Studge) but to change the mid-field engine and both full-backs is utter madness!

Does he not know how important it is to top this group … and he's going in with Henderson and Wilshire, Clyne and Bertrand!

FFS – this has got nightmare run-in written all over it!
Papers reporting it as fact.

Steven Seagull

A lot of these 6 players could've started the first game anyway. It's not like he's throwing a bunch of clowns in.

The full backs have got through an unbelievable amount of running and rest will do them good. Nobody would leave out Sturridge and Vardy now.
Alli has looked shattered which only really leaves Rooney as a surprise.

SqueakyWeasel

Papers reporting it as fact.
Listening to the pundits on TalkSport … they have people out there but read it first in the Guardian:

Roy Hodgson hopes to land knockout blow
but six changes make for edgy night

"It was probably inevitable, when Roy Hodgson took his seat in the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard, that he would be asked about the last time England were in Saint-Étienne and all the drama that attached itself to the team’s exit from the 1998 World Cup. Wayne Rooney was 12 at the time – “I watched it at my nan’s,” he recalled – but the England captain had vivid memories of Michael Owen’s slalom through Argentina’s defence, David Beckham’s red card and, finally, the confirmation from 12 yards that David Batty could never be considered a natural penalty-taker.

What is often forgotten about that ordeal, however, is that England suffered that night as a consequence of not winning their group and that, perhaps, is the most pertinent point when Hodgson’s new-look team take on Slovakia in the same stadium on Monday, with potentially half a dozen changes to their starting line-up."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/roy-hodgson-knockout-stages-six-changeshttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/roy-hodgson-knockout-stages-six-changes

England’s Roy Hodgson leaves out Wayne Rooney in gamble for Slovakia

"Wayne Rooney heads a list of six high-profile changes to England’s starting lineup for their final Group B fixture against Slovakia on Monday night as Roy Hodgson takes a calculated gamble to rest key members of his squad in anticipation of reaching the knockout stages."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/england-roy-hodgson-wayne-rooney-slovakia

SqueakyWeasel

A lot of these 6 players could've started the first game anyway. It's not like he's throwing a bunch of clowns in.

The full backs have got through an unbelievable amount of running and rest will do them good. Nobody would leave out Sturridge and Vardy now.
Alli has looked shattered which only really leaves Rooney as a surprise.
Maybe, but all the talk this morning, even given Walker's unbelievable work-rate, is the shock at splitting the defence up, not giving Wayne a rest. At the end of the day if we win we don't play again until Saturday so it's nearly a week off for everyone.

Varun

Staff
Will be idiotic if he's doing this. Draw and you're likely to finish 2nd in the group, something you really want to avoid.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
'Calculated gamble'

What does that even mean? Hopefully Slovakia win and that there is a winner in the other game. England finishing third and playing a group winner would be hilarious.

Lynty

Rooney shouldn't be dropped, but It will be nice to see Wiltshire starting, adds something completely different.

I predict a high scoring game. 3-1.

We usualy have that moment when we think, this could be the year, before reality hits us in the quarters

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
From what I remember, a team who dropped too many 1st team players in the last group game usually find it hard to find momentum in the knockout round. If woy really does dropped 6 players, if it is not backfired against Slovakia, it will happen in the next round.

Relfy

Sterling and Kane should be dropped for this one, but surely we're not making 6 changes. If it goes wrong he'd have written his own P45!

Adebesi

I can see why people see making such a lot of changes for this game is a risk but I think on balance its a good call. I know we have a bit of a break before the next game anyway but still in a tournament there are a lot of games to play in a short space of time and the fresher we can keep players like Rooney for later stages, the better. Other changes are about dropping players that have been ineffective and are justified on that basis. At the end of the day, its Slovakia, we should be able to beat them regardless of a few changes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Slovakia are a very decent team with some very talented players - this will probably be the biggest test England have faced so far in the tournament.