Game 6: Poland vs Northern Ireland

ReDDHDevilS

Not sure what teams try to achieve by setting up so defensively and there is not change in approach even after going down by a goal or two.

Play some good, attacking football. What's going to happen? At worst they'll get thumped but it's not like people are expecting NI to win the Euro!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How many shots have they had during the game? It's Louis' philosophy without any of the talent.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure what teams try to achieve by setting up so defensively and there is not change in approach even after going down by a goal or two.

Play some good, attacking football. What's going to happen? At worst they'll get thumped but it's not like people are expecting NI to win the Euro!
No change? He put on two more attacking players!

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I see his time at loan on Roma hasn't done anything for him. What a fecking clown

Tiber

They played very differently after the goal. They actually attacked.

O'Neill has done a good job. But he completely fecked up the gameplan for this game. First half was dreadful

Kostur

海尔的老板
Ufff, deserved 3 points. Very good games from Kapustka, Krychowiak, even Mączyński to be fair. Glik immense in winning aerial battles, Jędrzejczyk and Pazdan are accidents waiting to happen, good goal from Milik and great assist from Kuba.

lsd

The Oracle
Poor game in my opinion the worst so far in what's been a very good start to the tourney. Although it could be early fatigue of watching three games a day too

Northern Ireland very defensive and Poland were really disappointing I expected a lot more from them and they will need to improve a lot to go further .

Also do we really have to look at Neil Lennon on a HD tv not to mention listen to god save the queen when they play as well as England?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Thought the Irish had the likes of Coleman and Hoolahan? Surely they have a bit of creativity which seems sorely lacking from this N.I team.

Think the commentator said earlier most of the qualifying goals came from set pieces.
You'll be surprised how poor Coleman is for Ireland. Hoolahan occasionally knits things together really well but most of the time becomes marginalised and gets subbed off after an hour of running himself into the ground. The core of the team just lacks so much quality in possession.

the hea

Ufff, deserved 3 points. Very good games from Kapustka, Krychowiak, even Mączyński to be fair. Glik immense in winning aerial battles, Jędrzejczyk and Pazdan are accidents waiting to happen, good goal from Milik and great assist from Kuba.
I was very impressed with him and only 19 years old. I have never seen him play before so I had to Google him and according to Google he still plays in the Polish league, I don't think that will be the case much longer if keeps on performing like this.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wonder what the german are going to do to the NI....

But there won't be a goal glut if they resigned to losing it and being discipline with 2 banks of 4.

I can't blame them though, an open game against Poland or Germany will end bad

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Man, should have had the likes of Netherlands in the Euros instead of Northern-Ireland but yeah, can't blame NI for qualifying obviously.

donkeyfish

Maybe Kaputska will be the hot prospect emerging from the Euros. It tends to be one surprise player in every tournament, ending up with a 40mill bid in mid-July.

Well, I guess not a surprise for the Poles - but for us who´s never seen him before.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I was very impressed with him and only 19 years old. I have never seen him play before so I had to Google him and according to Google he still plays in the Polish league, I don't think that will be the case much longer if keeps on performing like this.
Apparently there was interest in him from BVB during winter window and people at Cracovia are somewhat accepted to the fact that he's a goner this window.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Man, should have had the likes of Netherlands in the Euros instead of Northern-Ireland but yeah, can't blame NI for qualifying obviously.
Netherlands didn't even deserved to be in Dr. Pepper Cup while Irish still may stir some chaos in the group.

Kostur

海尔的老板
At no point did the NIrishes embarrass themselves half as bad as the Dutch during their qualifications 'campaign' to be fair.

It's all fair fecks from them imo, can't afford to play open football against us, hope they surprise Germans or Ukrainians now, fingers crossed for them.

dasty

Kaputska was the only bright spot of the game. Blazsczykowski was awful with his crosses, Piszczek too.

Acole9

Outstanding
Northern Ireland did the best they could with what they've got, you can't fault them for that.

ZAGREB RED

NI gave their all, just lacking some finesse to create a few chances, Poland looked average, but they got what everyone wants, 3 points in the first game. Was a bit surprised NI didn't just shove McAuley or Evans up front for the last 5 minutes and bombard the box, but they didn't offer much going forward at all. 100% commitment though from every player. I think they are finding out that you need a bit more than that to win games at this level, they did brilliantly in the qualifiers, but the Finals is another step up.

badkins

Seems like Kapustka really impressed Lineker & Rio. Great performance.

stevoc

WTF is "Irish English" never heard that term in my life
Well i suspect it's rare that anyone ever actually uses that term but basically just the English dialects spoken on the island of Ireland.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Kapustka was definitely MOTM. Pity Zielinski didn't come on the pitch. With Milik, Lewandowski and Kapustka they could form lots of lovely triangles :keano:

Diablodave

Steven Davis was immense. Chased, organised, rallied all on his own. I'd love to see how much ground he covered. If only we had 11 of him.
Kaputska and Milik looked the part, while Lewandowski is picking up the toys he threw out of the pram every time Evans marked him out the game.
Too conservative in the first half and much more open in the second.

We need to have that second half against Ukraine!

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Disappointing performance today but really we're all just happy to be in France and we've to pinch ourselves that we're playing at a major tournament in our lifetime. Yes it wasn't a great watch and yes it was negative but when you've a pool of players as tiny as ours where many are playing championship/league one its all about scrapping for draws or nicking 1-0's.

Heading to Lyon for the game on Thursday. Cannot wait.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It was a shame Steve Davis didn't get on the end of that clever free kick routine, had a clear opening and could have snatched an unexpected point