Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's also a tower that Daenerys is magically teleported into and is put into illusions of things that 'might of been' and 'will be'.. the Warlock points out that since the dragons returned, magic has also returned to the world. Hence why Malisandre can make smoke assassin babies, by magic gifted by the Lord of Light- as well as that guy being able to take a sword through his body and revive and heal.

Since the Dragons were born, the world changed.
Exactly, that's why the Warlock guy wanted the dragons in the first place, they made his magic stronger. So that's why the Lord of Light priests have cool powers now, the dragons have brought the magic back.

I can definitely understand why extra magic would put some people off the show. It's kinda like with True Blood, I totally accepted vampires but once werewolves and fairies started coming into it I got bored.

twitter thread suggester
I am definitely being put off a bit by all the magic. Having not read the books or even heard of the books before watching the show, I didn't think of it as a fantasy show, but more a medieval show. And I love movies from medieval times - even if they're set in another universe.

The first two seasons I'd watch the show the day it was available for download, but now I just watch it when I am bored.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I think it depends on how it's presented. We don't care about dragons being born because they talked about them a lot beforehand, and they built up to it with Daenerys not being burnt when she should have been a few times before etc. Then on the other hand, out of the blue Melisandre spawns a shadow assassin and kills someone who we expect to be an important character in the future, with no explanation of what the 'rules' are. The most common reaction to that is "Well, what's the point? Just queef everyone to death."

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
I think it depends on how it's presented. We don't care about dragons being born because they talked about them a lot beforehand, and they built up to it with Daenerys not being burnt when she should have been a few times before etc. Then on the other hand, out of the blue Melisandre spawns a shadow assassin and kills someone who we expect to be an important character in the future, with no explanation of what the 'rules' are. The most common reaction to that is "Well, what's the point? Just queef everyone to death."
Did you want her to spawn a few little ones first to make it easier for you to digest? :houllier:

twitter thread suggester
No need to get all defensive Paceme, just because we don't enjoy the show as much as we did the previous seasons.

I don't care whether or not it was advertised as a fantasy show - I didn't really think of it as one, even though it always lured in the background.

Plus, I think the fire God thing, starting with the crazy fire women, is annoying as hell.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Yeah, that was absolutely my point.
Well what was your point? Letting you know that somebody is not damaged by heat is pretty easy. How are you supposed to establish that someone can spawn a shadow to kill a target? The show already established she had powers of some kind, remember the bloke trying to poison her? Besides, the purpose was clearly to shock people by suddenly showing that she wasn't just a crazy religious chick and was actually extremely powerful, which also allowed you to relate to what Davos was currently experiencing.

Spoony

The People's President
I think the Lannisters' and Tyrells' manipulation/cloak and dagger stuff is reminiscent of Joan Collins and her mates' scheming in Dynasty. That's a part of the reason why it reminds me of a cheesy daytime American soap sometimes.

LARulz

This season has been fairly poor compared to the last couple. It feels slower. I like the politics build up normally but there seems to be a lot of nothing happening. Maybe its cos I'm expecting a war near the end of the season like the others so I can't see who is going to war. I know Daenerys has her army (obvious but great scene) but she's far away and clearly is waiting for her dragons to become massive, Robb they've made look out of his depth, Stannis is regrouping and the stuff north of the wall is getting boring.

As for the red woman creating that ghost thing, my reaction was why doesn't she do it all the time. And it still is

Scrumpet

There are no words
Well what was your point? Letting you know that somebody is not damaged by heat is pretty easy. How are you supposed to establish that someone can spawn a shadow to kill a target? The show already established she had powers of some kind, remember the bloke trying to poison her? Besides, the purpose was clearly to shock people by suddenly showing that she wasn't just a crazy religious chick and was actually extremely powerful, which also allowed you to relate to what Davos was currently experiencing.
It was a cheap way to shock people. I would have been content with a couple of lines explaining that this was pretty much a one off thing, that the reason she isn't queefing everyone to death is because she can't.

We got that, 10 episodes later.

Revan

Assumptionman
The season is absolutely no poor compared to the other seasons, it could be that some person do not enjoy that much but not the majority. In Imdb, now it has even surprassed The Wire and now is the most highly rated artistiv TV Show.

About the magic, it was pretty clear that from the beginning that this is a magic world. The first scene in the show is with the whitewalkers, the first season ends with the born of the dragons. In the second season - because of the dragons - magic seems to be more stronger. About the shadow assasin, Melisandre said to Stannis this season that we cannot make another 'son' because you can't survive it.

Anyway to each on their own opinions. Personally I think that this is the best season we have had in this show.

roseguy64

This season has been fairly poor compared to the last couple. It feels slower. I like the politics build up normally but there seems to be a lot of nothing happening. Maybe its cos I'm expecting a war near the end of the season like the others so I can't see who is going to war. I know Daenerys has her army (obvious but great scene) but she's far away and clearly is waiting for her dragons to become massive, Robb they've made look out of his depth, Stannis is regrouping and the stuff north of the wall is getting boring.

As for the red woman creating that ghost thing, my reaction was why doesn't she do it all the time. And it still is
Umm. There is a war happening at the minute.What do you mean by you can't see who's going to war? You've already said it. Robb's losing, Stannis is regrouping after his defeat, Dorne and the Vale have been neutral while the Lannisters and Tyrells are currently in charge. The Greyjoys are in the war but relevant yet.

And she already explained that there's a limit to how often she can do it.

Member 39557

:lol::lol:

binary bot
Each episode feels too short despite being an hour long. I think my opinion of this season is skewed by the fact I'm watching them every week instead of all at once as I did with the first two seasons - it's much easier to get into when watching one after the other.

Wish I could just ignore the next 5 weeks and then watch them all at once!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Each episode feels too short despite being an hour long. I think my opinion of this season is skewed by the fact I'm watching them every week instead of all at once as I did with the first two seasons - it's much easier to get into when watching one after the other.

Wish I could just ignore the next 5 weeks and then watch them all at once!
Yeah I agree. Hate it when I'm caught up. I'm still enjoying this season though. Dunno why everyone's moaning.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I felt sympathy for Jamie Lannister after the last episode, but I'm rewatching the whole show again and after seeing him push down the boy he's back to being a cnut again.

Genius Me!

Yeah I agree. Hate it when I'm caught up. I'm still enjoying this season though. Dunno why everyone's moaning.
Same here. I think when breaking bad comes out I'm going to wait and rewatch the whole thing again and then hopefully watch all the last 8 in one go.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I am definitely being put off a bit by all the magic. Having not read the books or even heard of the books before watching the show, I didn't think of it as a fantasy show, but more a medieval show. And I love movies from medieval times - even if they're set in another universe.

The first two seasons I'd watch the show the day it was available for download, but now I just watch it when I am bored.
I'm exactly the same but not fussed about the magic. If anything, it makes a nice change from all the tedious exposition which clogs up every other scene.

Genius Me!

You pick up on a lot more when watching second time round, if there's anyone who's only watched it once I'd definitely recommend a second watch. For example, the king was asking Jamie if the mad king said anything as he killed him to which he replied "just what he'd been saying for hours, burn them all burn them all". Naturally I wouldn't have picked up on that before but it makes complete sense to me now.

Revan

Assumptionman
You pick up on a lot more when watching second time round, if there's anyone who's only watched it once I'd definitely recommend a second watch. For example, the king was asking Jamie if the mad king said anything as he killed him to which he replied "just what he'd been saying for hours, burn them all burn them all". Naturally I wouldn't have picked up on that before but it makes complete sense to me now.
Yep, definitely. It is a show that even in the second watch you still enjoy it. I did it, just before the third season was starting and I don't regret.

Genius Me!

I'll need to get into the book when I can be bothered, but watching is so much easier.

Genius Me!

One of my favourite scenes, I don't know why, but in episode 5 in the first season when Lord Varys is conversing with the other lord (the one that owns the whore houses). They're telling each other how recently they've seen each other, I just like how they seem to have eyes everywhere.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Somehow, I remembered that anyway. Probably because at the time I was thinking "what the bloody hell is he on about?", which isn't a rare occurrence, admittedly .

Genius Me!

:lol: a rare occurrence in life or the show? But I know what you mean, there's a lot more you pick up on and understand especially when you know the characters a bit more going back in time.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Every week I hope for a major departure from the book plot lines. Something to get me on my toes again. I'm getting lazy.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Felt like a poor episode, for me. Nothing of note really transpired and none of the scenes were very compelling. Sansa is an idiot, no surprise. Lorus is more interested in fashion than a future bride, stereotypical portrayal. Cersei & Tyrion both lament their plight and Tyrion saying 'it's awkward' was not only cliche but thankfully we were spared from what would've been another poor scene. Osha & Meera with the rabbit skinning, was there a point to be made there?

Olenna & Tywin's exchange was probably the highlight and we perhaps gained some insight going forward with the Lady in Red's visit to the Brotherhood and learning of Beric's frequent visits to darkness

The wall scene was anticlimactic and the episode just felt like a filler, for me

Zen

Theon stuff is brutal........................................................

Revan

Assumptionman
After last two phenomenal episodes, this had a lower tempo and was pretty average.

Queen of Thorne is excellent, Joffrey is a maniac (a thing we all know) and Theon is suffering more than he deserves (well, he is a cnut anyway so probably he deserves for what he did).

The best part of the episode was undoubtedly the conversation between Baelish and Varys. Also, there shouldn't be an episode without Daeneris. This was the second in this season she didn't feature.