g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Wait so children of kings get preference to become rulers even if the king had siblings right? Thats why the Stark children are rulers and not Benjin Stark.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Wait so children of kings get preference to become rulers even if the king had siblings right? Thats why the Stark children are rulers and not Benjin Stark.
Yes, same as the monarchy in Britain and most countries. First-born (son usually) is at the head, then the other kids afterwards, and then goes to siblings.

RDCR07

He'd understand why, but he's still going to be completely pissed that his dad was fighting for the person who slaughtered his family. It's a bit of a fecked up situation for him, and Daenerys demanding he bend the knee is kind of insulting.
Kinda confused again. Let me see if I got this right:

Madking killed Brandon Stark (brother of Ned) and Rickard Stark (dad of Ned) for going against Rhaegar "kidnapping" their sister/daughter. Then the rebellion full on started and Robert and Ned teamed up to overthrow the Madking and suceeded? Is that right?

Deleted member 101472

Also is there any other way for the unsullied to get off Casterly Rock? Like is it an island where you need ships to get on and off or can you march through the lands to get there?
They'd have to march for a long time, watch the show now famous for time travelling now refuse to do it with the unsullied because it doesn't fit the plot point haha

Fully Fledged

TBF, whilst I agree the dialogue and writing is not as good as the first four seasons, I think a lot of nit picking happens on this forum (and across the internet). I think most peoplpe who actually just watch it enjoy it and see it as a phenomenon. Its not confusing like Lost and some things are kept simple. I think plot conveniences do happen but its mostly to advance story which would otherwise be left in a lull if it was done in the same pace as the earlier seasons.
I agree that most of the fast forward is used to move the plot forward. Some of it can be really jarring though. The way the Lannisters marched an army across the Reach without anybody noticing for one thing. Then taking the capital of the Reach without a siege compounded on that.

Overall I thought it was a great episode but the way they handled the destruction of one of the great houses was poor. The scene between The Queen of Thrones and Jaime made up for that though as I thought that was very well done.

I really liked the scene between Dani and Jon I thought that played out really well.

RDCR07

They'd have to march for a long time, watch the show now famous for time travelling now refuse to do it with the unsullied because it doesn't fit the plot point haha
Well of course. Or worse they match all the way and get to Dragonstone only to find out that Dany has gone elsewhere. :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Kinda confused again. Let me see if I got this right:

Madking killed Brandon Stark (brother of Ned) and Rickard Stark (dad of Ned) for going against Rhaegar "kidnapping" their sister/daughter. Then the rebellion full on started and Robert and Ned teamed up to overthrow the Madking and suceeded? Is that right?
Yes, that's correct. Rickard was Lord of Winterfell; Brandon was next in line. Both of them getting killed resulted in Ned becoming Lord. Robert joined Ned in rebellion because both of them were good friends from their time spent at the Vale, under the stewardship of Jon Arryn, who therefore joined them as well, committing three houses to the cause.

RDCR07

Also is it wishful thinking on my part that to think the ships that Stannis lent Jon to save the Wildlings would come in handy at some point?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Probably because the unsullied's fight to get back to Dany will be interesting while an army just marching a long distance for days and days is not.

At this point the show is going to move at a certain pace, that's the way it is. Complaining about it every week is sort of pointless.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Yes, that's correct. Rickard was Lord of Winterfell; Brandon was next in line. Both of them getting killed resulted in Ned becoming Lord. Robert joined Ned in rebellion because both of them were good friends from their time spent at the Vale, under the stewardship of Jon Arryn, who therefore joined them as well, committing three houses to the cause.
Oh cause when you said in your previous post that his "dad" was fighting for the person that slaughtered his family, I thought you were referring to Ned and that confused me but you were referring to Rhaegar?

InfiniteBoredom

He'd understand why, but he's still going to be completely pissed that his dad was fighting for the person who slaughtered his family. It's a bit of a fecked up situation for him, and Daenerys demanding he bend the knee is kind of insulting.
Well slaughtered is a bit off. The correct term is cooked.

And the realisation that he has the same bloke's blood flowing in his veins as well :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Oh cause when you said in your previous post that his "dad" was fighting for the person that slaughtered his family, I thought you were referring to Ned and that confused me but you were referring to Rhaegar?
Yes, referring to Rhaegar there.

AXVnee7

I didn't really think about it till now but it's interesting how the two war generals facing off are Jaime and Tyrion. They are otherwise very close, and I really hope we get to see them meet at some point because the interactions between them would be immense.

RDCR07

I didn't really think about it till now but it's interesting how the two war generals facing off are Jaime and Tyrion. They are otherwise very close, and I really hope we get to see them meet at some point because the interactions between them would be immense.
Is Tyrion really a war general though? The guy Dany left behind in Mereen and Jorah were the war generals. Right now isnt Grey worm technically the general?

InfiniteBoredom

But why wouldnt Rhaegar fight for the Madking though? After all he WAS his dad. Also this whole war came out only because he eloped with Lyanna.
Rhaegar most likely was fighting for the girl if anything. He intended to call a council and depose Aerys or get himself as Regent before he went to the Trident to fight Robert. The war could have been ended if Lyanna was returned, a compensation paid and a Targaryen hostage or two to House Stark/Baratheon.

RDCR07

Rhaegar most likely was fighting for the girl if anything. He intended to call a council and depose Aerys or get himself as Regent before he went to the Trident to fight Robert. The war could have been ended if Lyanna was returned, a compensation paid and a Targaryen hostage or two to House Stark/Baratheon.
This show is so complex and so interesting it needs to go in the history books. Like kids need to learn about this story in school. :lol:

AXVnee7

Is Tyrion really a war general though? The guy Dany left behind in Mereen and Jorah were the war generals. Right now isnt Grey worm technically the general?
I wouldn't say he's a general in the sense that's he in control of the army, but he does seem to be the one calling the shots as to where everyone should be deployed. I would say Grey Worm is more like the commander on the battlefield as he makes the decisions of who he's leading. Casterly Rock for example was a direct Jaime vs Tyrion show in which Jaime outwitted the inexperienced Tyrion. I actually think that if Jorah is to make it back, he could be the turning factor. which is why there's a lot of emphasis on him being cured in the last couple of episodes.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
But why wouldnt Rhaegar fight for the Madking though? After all he WAS his dad. Also this whole war came out only because he eloped with Lyanna.
Naturally he'd fight for his father but if you're Jon, you'd still be pissed.

Deleted member 101472

Probably because the unsullied's fight to get back to Dany will be interesting while an army just marching a long distance for days and days is not.

At this point the show is going to move at a certain pace, that's the way it is. Complaining about it every week is sort of pointless.
I hope you didn't pick up undertones of complaint from my comment you truly negative man

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Probably will be the least of his worries when he finds out though, just finding out who he is will be enough of a burden I think. Not to mention that if it becomes widespread knowledge the problems it could cause him in the North. he is still half stark, but not Ned's son, so it could be an issue for some of the Northern Lords.

RDCR07

But shouldnt he be more pissed that his father was the main cause for his grandfather killing his mom's brother and grandfather rather than his dad fighting for the madking? Then again he wouldnt have been born if his father didnt elope with Lyanna. Played myself there!

InfiniteBoredom

This show is so complex and so interesting it needs to go in the history books. Like kids need to learn about this story in school. :lol:
Martin did a massive amount of research for this series and you wouldnt believe the minutiate complexities and factual representation of medieval life, economy and warfare present in the books. All the big events/battles in the books have historical parallels. From the obvious one like War of the Rose to the smaller one like the McDonald clan's massacre (Red Wedding)

If you can spare about half an hour or so, I highly recommend reading 'Down and out in Westeros'. It's freely available on pdf form, doesnt include any spoilers and is a very enlightening read on Martin's representation of Westerosi economy.

RDCR07

Martin did a massive amount of research for this series and you wouldnt believe the minutiate complexities and factual representation of medieval life, economy and warfare present in the books. All the big events/battles in the books have historical parallels. From the obvious one like War of the Rose to the smaller one like the McDonald clan's massacre (Red Wedding)

If you can spare about half an hour or so, I highly recommend reading 'Down and out in Westeros'. It's freely available on pdf form, doesnt include any spoilers and is a very enlightening read on Martin's representation of Westerosi economy.
Cheers. Will definitely check it out sometime soon.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Also is it wishful thinking on my part that to think the ships that Stannis lent Jon to save the Wildlings would come in handy at some point?
I thought that he had only hired the ships from those pirates?

Sylar

Not sure how or what these two know about HISTORY per say. Like they have ears all over the realm CURRENTLY, but going back to the past, I am not sure how well they know that part.
Wasnt LF around when Jons biological dad went and took Neds sister (he might have known that it wasnt a straight out kidnapping and they were in love with each other). And with her giving birth and with Ned coming back with a kid at the same time, he put 2 and 2 together? Dunno. From his earlier scenes in the show it seems like he knows more than hes letting on.
Varys not so sure, but he was around during the MadKing rule and if he had his little birds around the same time, he would have known given how he happens to make it his business to know everything.

Yeah...compared to your dad making one mistake, him running away from his wife with someone he's rumoured to have abducted, and then continuing to fight against your family after his dad's slaughtered them is a bit fecked up. Daenerys was being a bit of an entitled shit in that episode there.
TBF, everything Dany said was kinda true. Shes been through a lot of shit too and this is just since the show started. lol. Shes done a hell of a job to get a huge army or two to back her claim.

I agree that most of the fast forward is used to move the plot forward. Some of it can be really jarring though. The way the Lannisters marched an army across the Reach without anybody noticing for one thing. Then taking the capital of the Reach without a siege compounded on that.
I get that, I really do. But at least you can see the positives as well.
The only thing id add now with regards to nobody noticing is, maybe the ones who would have turned? And it helped the set up.
For all we know, the siege didnt take a day. The ravens that might have been sent could have been killed (ala Theon doing that in s2?). Or are there even any ravens to send? Its possible Dany doesnt even know yet whilst it was going on (as stupid as that sounds :lol:)
Anyway, I get it requires a lot of explaining but imo, sometimes it doesnt and you just go with it.

For me, some seem hell bent on picking apart some of the negatives rather than enjoying the positives and there were a lot imo in the last episode. If felt like the game of thrones was indeed being played. But I think @RDCR07 put it best - dont focus on the whiners, and focus on the actual conversations :)

Also is there any other way for the unsullied to get off Casterly Rock? Like is it an island where you need ships to get on and off or can you march through the lands to get there?
Jamie pretty much said that right? Might need to rewatch but I think he implied or said they are stuck and essentially would need to march through the lands which would occupy them for ages.
Danys idea was to take her dragons and burn all the ships of Eurons. I could see her pushing moreso for that now.

Fully Fledged

Wasnt LF around when Jons biological dad went and took Neds sister (he might have known that it wasnt a straight out kidnapping and they were in love with each other). And with her giving birth and with Ned coming back with a kid at the same time, he put 2 and 2 together? Dunno. From his earlier scenes in the show it seems like he knows more than hes letting on.
Varys not so sure, but he was around during the MadKing rule and if he had his little birds around the same time, he would have known given how he happens to make it his business to know everything.

TBF, everything Dany said was kinda true. Shes been through a lot of shit too and this is just since the show started. lol. Shes done a hell of a job to get a huge army or two to back her claim.

I get that, I really do. But at least you can see the positives as well.
The only thing id add now with regards to nobody noticing is, maybe the ones who would have turned? And it helped the set up.
For all we know, the siege didnt take a day. The ravens that might have been sent could have been killed (ala Theon doing that in s2?). Or are there even any ravens to send? Its possible Dany doesnt even know yet whilst it was going on (as stupid as that sounds :lol:)
Anyway, I get it requires a lot of explaining but imo, sometimes it doesnt and you just go with it.

For me, some seem hell bent on picking apart some of the negatives rather than enjoying the positives and there were a lot imo in the last episode. If felt like the game of thrones was indeed being played. But I think @RDCR07 put it best - dont focus on the whiners, and focus on the actual conversations :)

Jamie pretty much said that right? Might need to rewatch but I think he implied or said they are stuck and essentially would need to march through the lands which would occupy them for ages.
Danys idea was to take her dragons and burn all the ships of Eurons. I could see her pushing moreso for that now.
I think she has to retake Highgarden. With the gold running out in the Westerlands it is the real seat of power left in Westeros.

Sylar

I think she has to retake Highgarden. With the gold running out in the Westerlands it is the real seat of power left in Westeros.
Maybe. I also think she needs to make a strong union with North, more so, now that shes lost all other allies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
At this point she only really needs to defeat Cersei. If the Lannister army is destroyed then the Reach lords will defect.

RDCR07

Dont think Highgarden is/should be a priority. She bloody cant go to Kings Landing cause she doesnt have the ships or the men. She needs to ally with the North ASAP.

She has to somehow defeat Euron and his fleet outside of Kings Landing. Because if she was to hit KL, then there is a chance her dragons can die with those fecking huge crossbows. That coupled with going up with Lannister plus the Greyjoys would be hard. So if she somehow defeats Euron at sea, then when she hits KL even if her dragons die, her dothraki and the North can defeat Cersei.