Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

bleedred

The writing keeps getting worse by every episode.

It’s as if the writers scrounged the internet for ideas and put it together

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Another decent episode, but next week is the big one :drool:
Also, anyone else think the fact that they emphasised about a million times how safe the crypts are, means the crypts aren't actually that safe?

Minimalist

Watched it this morning. I can only assume there is awfully little of the story to go (from Martins outline) and that’s why it’s going so bloody slowly with only six episodes to work with.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Where is the red woman?

Her whole purpose on the show was this fight but she’s been missing this season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Watched it this morning. I can only assume there is awfully little of the story to go (from Martins outline) and that’s why it’s going so bloody slowly with only six episodes to work with.
Yeah it's really weird how they've had two really slow setup episodes for a 6 episode season.

I liked this one (far better than the first) but it felt like you could easily have fitted in almost everything in to one episode if you got rid of a lot of unnecessary filler.

Fracture90

2 years of waiting for those cnuts to spend 1/3 of the final season on some pointless exposition...D&D are bunch of twatts

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
In the earlier seasons, I thought we'd get a few episodes into the Night King himself. Who he actually was, why he is doing what he is doing, how he got his powers, some sort of BG story into his long haired companions, why this winter is all winters to go south of the wall, some hidden relation to a balance between ice and fire (dragons here) and so on.

I don't think we'll get that now

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Well most military commanders will have been tutored before they lead an army. Very few would have just been thrown in to that leadership role without studying the art of war from a pretty early age, learning about grand strategy, logistics, basic battle tactics etc.

Leading an army isn't just something you can make up as you go along. Jaime was prepared his whole life to lead troops in to battle, prepared by one of the best strategic/tactical minds in Westeros, and since then has gained loads of experience and learned a lot from his mistakes. He's a genuine hardened commander, one of the few you have .. give him a leadership role if you trust him enough to fight. It's not like he's deliberately going to sabotage you since if the army loses he also dies.
Yeah, I don't know, feel like you're giving Brienne little credit. Shes as good as any other knight in the show and is former kingsguard. Clearly she grew up learning a thing or two about how to fight.

Didn't Bronn lead part of an army in one of the battles once? I suspect he had even less "tutoring" then her and he did fine.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
jon will wait until the ice king is drunk and then lure him into the crypts by promising him a cask of some fine vintage wine. then once they are in the crypts, jon will take advantage of the ice king being inebriated and chain him to a wall before he even realizes what is happening. jon retrieves out a trowel and some bricks and starts building a wall in front of the area he chained the ice king in. the ice king cries out for help, even saying "for the love of the seven jon snow!" but jon only replies "yes, for the love of the seven". jon finishes walling up the ice king in the crypt and goes back to winterfell like nothing had ever happened. the perfect crime.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Re the crypts:

The crypts aren't safe, they're literally full of dead people. The crypts got added to opening title sequence for a reason.

Luckily they're all dead Starks. I reckon dragon glass to the heart might make them sentient dead like Benjen

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, I don't know, feel like you're giving Brienne little credit. Shes as good as any other knight in the show and is former kingsguard. Clearly she grew up learning a thing or two about how to fight.

Didn't Bronn lead part of an army in one of the battles once? I suspect he had even less "tutoring" then her and he did fine.
She's a great individual fighter, no doubt about that. There's just a massive difference between that and being an army commander, the best army commanders are often not even great individual warriors .. Tywin springs to mind. She was Kingsguard for about 5 minutes and that's again more about being a great fighter than a leader.

True, but he still served under Jaime. My main point is that Jaime has led numerous large scale battles and is a very experienced military commander, the logical decision is to give him a leadership role rather than handing it to someone who has never led an army. Seems a bit of a waste considering his vast military experience since a very young age, and not just as an individual fighter but as a leader of larger forces.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Re the crypts:

The crypts aren't safe, they're literally full of dead people. The crypts got added to opening title sequence for a reason.

Luckily they're all dead Starks. I reckon dragon glass to the heart might make them sentient dead like Benjen
Skele-ned! That would be pretty awesome if all those bones got up and started killing them :lol:

Art Vandelay

Better than last weeks but still not great. Having whole episodes based around dialogue when your dialogue has gone way down hill just isn't a good idea. I could really have done without that sideboob shot too.

Get with the god damn killing and dragons already, you've already had 6 seasons to build up characters.

LInkash

She's a great individual fighter, no doubt about that. There's just a massive difference between that and being an army commander, the best army commanders are often not even great individual warriors .. Tywin springs to mind. She was Kingsguard for about 5 minutes and that's again more about being a great fighter than a leader.

True, but he still served under Jaime. My main point is that Jaime has led numerous large scale battles and is a very experienced military commander, the logical decision is to give him a leadership role rather than handing it to someone who has never led an army. Seems a bit of a waste considering his vast military experience since a very young age, and not just as an individual fighter but as a leader of larger forces.
Jaime is like Mourinho. He has a lot of past glories but his last two jobs were failures. Got destroyed against Dani, albeit she had a lot more resources and failed in the battle of the Whispering Wood in the Midlands of Riverrun (Leicester).

NinjaFletch

Anyone confused about why the incest aspect has been completely overlooked by the characters?
Sloppy writing probs.

Although there's a fair chance that in world nobody actually gives a feck. The issue with Jaime and Cersei was that their fecking meant Joffrey was a Lannister and not a Baratheon (and therefore had no claim to the throne). The Targ's had been fecking each other for centuries and nobody cared.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Jaime is like Mourinho. He has a lot of past glories but his last two jobs were failures. Got destroyed against Dani, albeit she had a lot more resources and failed in the battle of the Whispering Wood in the Midlands of Riverrun (Leicester).
I guess that makes Daenerys Pep then. Lots of hype and very exotic and exciting but can only perform with the dragons. Blonde fraud.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That was less shit that last week's episode but not great.

It also seems that the battle against the dead that the show has been building towards for however many seasons is going to be done and dusted in the next episode.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Love how Bran keeps dropping mind-shattering information, but nobody asks him any more questions than they need to, because he's a weirdo.
Danaerys looked like her entire world was crumbling as Jon told her the truth - I really hope she loses the plot.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

It also seems that the battle against the dead that the show has been building towards for however many seasons is going to be done and dusted in the next episode.
I actually wouldn't be against them getting a sudden victory against the dead only for things to then fall apart between the Stark/Targaryen camps in the last few episodes. Would be quite entertaining if they all start killing the shit out of each other again the moment they seem safe.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Love how Bran keeps dropping mind-shattering information, but nobody asks him any more questions than they need to, because he's a weirdo.
Danaerys looked like her entire world was crumbling as Jon told her the truth - I really hope she loses the plot.
Feels like it's headed in that direction, unless the writers are fecking around with us. She's alienating pretty much everyone except the few people who are slavishly devoted to her. Could see when Jon told her the truth her only concern was she might be able to rule over everyone.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He totally outmanoeuvred Dany by seizing the Tyrell wealth (which has allowed Cersei to buy a huge army) and then had zero chance in the open battle, nothing you can do against a dragon + 100k Dothraki cavalry.

And yeah, he lost the Whispering Wood but that's all good experience, he learned from it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Tbf the show has already made clear that:

A) The northerners don't trust outsiders until they've earned that trust.
B) The northern lord have a particular problem with Lannisters.
C) Most of the other main characters barely trust Jaime.
D) The actual northern soldiers dislike Jaime (one of them actually spitting down at him in this episode).
E) Jaime literally just turned up the day before the battle, when preparations were already well under way.

All of which would make it weird for them to suddenly trust Jaime to lead a load of northern soldiers in battle.

Minimalist

There have been signs of Dany going mad for a long time now. It's overdue if anything.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Found her scene with Sansa quite false. Think that was the point though.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He totally outmanoeuvred Dany by seizing the Tyrell wealth (which has allowed Cersei to buy a huge army) and then had zero chance in the open battle, nothing you can do against a dragon + 100k Dothraki cavalry.

And yeah, he lost the Whispering Wood but that's all good experience, he learned from it.
Not Jaime's fault either - blame has to fall to the soldiers, they were losing battles under Tywin as well. No commander would be able to sort them out.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There have been signs of Dany going mad for a long time now. It's overdue if anything.
Irrespective of what's happening to her, she's a dreadful politician. Jaime being there would've been a good chance to build some cred with them by pointing out Jaime's crime against the Starks and everything he's done there. Instead she gets really annoyed Jaime killed her dad, the same dad who basically killed half the Starks.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Tbf the show has already made clear that:

A) The northerners don't trust outsiders until they've earned that trust.
B) The northern lord have a particular problem with Lannisters.
C) Most of the other main characters barely trust Jaime.
D) The actual northern soldiers dislike Jaime (one of them actually spitting down at him in this episode).
E) Jaime literally just turned up the day before the battle, when preparations were already well under way.

All of which would make it weird for them to suddenly trust Jaime to lead a load of northern soldiers in battle.
True, but how many of your average soldiers are going to be cool with a woman leading them in to battle?

Your other points are sound though. Just seems a shame that probably the most seasoned commander in Winterfell (I think?) is just playing a support role.

Classical Mechanic

The way that he has avoided her since he found out and the way he has been all business around her is his attempt to be freaked by fecking his aunt.
Thought the Targs always had incestuous marriages to keep the blood of the dragon pure? Isn’t it based on how Royal families married in human history?

I’m glad about that. Prefer the internal political struggle.

LInkash

I guess that makes Daenerys Pep then. Lots of hype and very exotic and exciting but can only perform with the dragons. Blonde fraud.
Not that it matters now, that lot who have been saying this year is our year since episode one might finally win, having not done it in forever.

Guy Incognito

a bastard doesn't have any claim to the throne
Got it.

I think they may well sit on the iron throne together. Or Gendry dies. Or Gendry turns into a white walker, putting Arya in an impossible situation. She'd have to kill him to save the others.

As for Dany, she still doesn't have the trust of the northerners. I can almost picture her walking through the fire of Winterfell to save them.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: you're all a bunch of miserable bastards.

I thought it was a good episode, in fact it made the lovey dovey shite in the first one not seem like a waste of time now that tensions between Jon and Dany are rising (and Varys is right; nothing lasts). But I guess the show is damned if it does and damned if it's doesn't. Last season was too fast paced and now loads of you are shouting "hurry up and get to the action". Next episode is going to be all action as far as we've been told!

I feel that this season, once it's all done, will be looked back on as being good as a whole piece. It's a joined up final act split into 6 parts. Makes a good case for binge watching because we're currently giving ourselves a full week to moan about what we just saw.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Feels like it's headed in that direction, unless the writers are fecking around with us. She's alienating pretty much everyone except the few people who are slavishly devoted to her. Could see when Jon told her the truth her only concern was she might be able to rule over everyone.
Yep, her only concern is how people will continue to bend the knee - I wouldn't be surprised if she's already thought about how to get rid of Jon.

Of the living, Jon is the only one capable of killing her, right? The dragons will surely roast anyone else who tries.
If that's true, I can't wait :drool:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yep, her only concern is how people will continue to bend the knee - I wouldn't be surprised if she's already thought about how to get rid of Jon.

Of the living, Jon is the only one capable of killing her, right? The dragons will surely roast anyone else who tries.
If that's true, I can't wait :drool:
I also thought it was notable that Jon told her Bran told him and that Sam confirmed it. When it was Sam who said - he clearly doesn't trust her to the point where he wasn't willing to bring Sam directly into the whole thing. Which seems significant.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Absolute rubbish episode apart from the final few minutes.

I can’t be the only one completely uninterested in these ‘fan service reunions’, surely? They’re complete wank.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I can’t be the only one completely uninterested in these ‘fan service reunions’, surely? They’re complete wank.
What reunions were particularly fan service-based? The show can veer into that at times but if you have characters with a history together who are reunited it's obviously sensible for them to have interactions with each other. Would be silly otherwise.

Minimalist

They needed to happen but they've drawn it out too much. Which is why I'm starting to think Martin hasn't got much (in terms of events) for the ending of the story.