Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Fridge chutney

Aye, it's a real problem that 3 of the main protagonists are played by wooden actors/actresses.

Kit Harrington, Emilia Clarke and Sophie Turner are very attractive people but they're barely even in the same profession as someone like Charles Dance, or even some of their current costars like Lena Headey or Coster-Waldau.

This is pretty much summed up by their work outside of GoT. As you say, Harrington has been awful in his other roles, Turner is dreadful in X-Men and Clarke was similarly shit in Terminator. They just don't have the ability to capture the audience like some of the great actors/actresses that this show has seen.
Yeah there are a few actors a tier below others. Harrington, Bran, Danerys, and others are categorically in the lower tier. I think that Sansa improved as the series went on.

Charles Dance, Tyrion, Theon/Reek, Cersei and the old Tyrell woman are superb and a class above. And some of the one-season wonders were very good too, like Pedro Pascual, Ned Stark and Mark Addy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Aye, it's a real problem that 3 of the main protagonists are played by wooden actors/actresses.

Kit Harrington, Emilia Clarke and Sophie Turner are very attractive people but they're barely even in the same profession as someone like Charles Dance, or even some of their current costars like Lena Headey or Coster-Waldau.

This is pretty much summed up by their work outside of GoT. As you say, Harrington has been awful in his other roles, Turner is dreadful in X-Men and Clarke was similarly shit in Terminator. They just don't have the ability to capture the audience like some of the great actors/actresses that this show has seen.
Well said. For me it comes down to that golden word, and it's one that people like Dance, Headey, Coster-Waldau, Diana Rigg, Sean Bean and Michelle Fairley all had; gravitas. If you can own the scene just by sitting there and in silence eating an orange then you'll shine. Of the new crop you had people like Jack Gleeson and Richard Madden who had it as well but they're long gone. Conleth Hill, Alfie Allen and Peter Dinklage all have a shit ton of it too but nowadays they have to share screen time with the "main cast" (Jon and Dany) whenever they get a line which is like me trying to recite Shakespeare whilst the majority of the time the camera is focusing on an egg.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Barristan Selmy was also played by a good actor and they got rid of him stupidly. His death added nothing to the story and he could've helped develop whatever they want to turn dragon lady into.

My all time favorite was king Robert, loved all of his scenes. His bullying scenes with the Lannister lad who turned sparrow where a joy to watch.

KanieKaned

He's stuck in the crypt with the chicks and kids. Last place i'd want to stay.
I think very few in the crypt will survive. I can see the dead already buried down there being raised by the night king or even another WW, culminating in a whole lot of slaughter causing mass panic from within Winterfell.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If anyone’s interested r/freefolk has a preview of the Battle of Winterfell including a battle map with estimated numbers of units.

The numbers seem a bit exaggerated to me but whatever.

Roosney

I don't agree with the show being ruined in the last two seasons but what I do believe the show rather intentionally set out to make just about every character double sided, someone that has something for and against them. Imho that's the strength of where we re at now, rather than a weakness. Most characters are floating in a gray area...that is also why I thought s8e2 was so powerful: for a moment you re briefly reminded who they all are and the journey they made over the seasons. There are enough shows with definitive good and bad guys.
I get what you mean but that wasn't my point. I wish the characters had a side, good or bad, but they've become watered down disney caricatures.
These days I feel if Jon turned into an ice elephant and ate Dany that wouldn't make me feel anything. Well that'd be kinda cool but you know what I mean.

Spark

He's stuck in the crypt with the chicks and kids. Last place i'd want to stay.
The Starks burn their dead and then seal them in a stone crypt with a sword through them or some shit, according to some bloke at work who is basically real life Bran. Therefore, the crypt is the safest place in Winterfell (but would be the most dangerous were it anywhere else).

It’s a Stark tradition that’s been going on since the last time the dead took the piss.

Dante

Average bang
Peter Dinklage is a terrible actor. Charles Dance was easily the best in the show's run.

Kit Harrington is pretty bad. But Emilia Clarke has improved massively. She's actually quite good these days.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Pretty good analysis of the shift in writing direction the show has taken post-books. I also fully agree with the opinion that the plot armour the likes of Snow, Jaime Lannister etc. have built up is preposterous and that’s only down to the ‘setup and payoff’ style the writers now employ. Snow died once already (and was conveniently brought back to life) and - all joking aside - inexplicably dodged death about six other times throughout the show simply because he’s, er, a good guy? It’s nonsense.

The best aspect, for me, of Game of Thrones was how a character’s arc wasn’t determined by their good/bad intentions but how well they played the game. That concept has totally gone out the window in recent seasons and in its place we have trope, after trope, after trope. Deus ex machina (a term the fanbois love ‘round here) has been prominent throughout seasons six and seven, and I’d bet good money on it playing a huge part in the final episodes of season eight, too.

Meh.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Peter Dinklage is a terrible actor. Charles Dance was easily the best in the show's run.

Kit Harrington is pretty bad. But Emilia Clarke has improved massively. She's actually quite good these days.
Seen it all now.

Keefy18

Am I the only one that wished they showed Arya fully naked? :nervous:
Nope, she's very cute!

Oh Bravo, very funny. Are ya kidding? Stop clamming up and just tell me what vanilla or vinegar references. Faceless Man pun here
It's from an earlier episode when Arya was training and the man at the harbor got I think oysters with either vanilla / vinegar, but cause of how he delivered the line it became an online debate on different forums.

I find the robotic bran a bit unnecessary. Makes him come across a bit of a cnut now, whereas the old man three eyed raven he learned from did actually have some personality, likeability and a sense of humour to him. So not sure why the writers have turned bran into a flake.
Did the old man face the same level of fear, uncertainty and looming death Bran does?

Its the long, dark night and Bran is a pivotal figure and the only person that knows the story pretty much, until Tyrion recently. He is a teenager and has the weight of the world on his shoulders and being hunted by the night king. No wonder he is void of emotion as he probably knows or suspects at least that they are likely to meet their end very soon.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Peter Dinklage is a terrible actor :lol:

Also Charles Dance literally plays himself by way of speaking and mannerisms. There is nothing outstanding from his acting in that regard.

Dante

Average bang
Peter Dinklage is a terrible actor :lol:

Also Charles Dance literally plays himself by way of speaking and mannerisms. There is nothing outstanding from his acting in that regard.
Outside of Game of Thrones, can you point me to a movie/TV show that demonstrates how good an actor he is?

Playing yourself is not a easy as it looks. Just look at Rooney in that advert. What separates a good actor from a bad one is how natural they are in their performances.

b82REZ

The Starks burn their dead and then seal them in a stone crypt with a sword through them or some shit, according to some bloke at work who is basically real life Bran. Therefore, the crypt is the safest place in Winterfell (but would be the most dangerous were it anywhere else).

It’s a Stark tradition that’s been going on since the last time the dead took the piss.
That's not true

Art Vandelay

Don't forget Clarke and Harrington's perfume ads. They couldn't even turn it on for a few seconds. So awkward.

Clarke has gotten worse over the years. I suppose this is the danger when you're hiring child actors and unknowns it can turn out like this.

Headey is ridiculous though, no matter what crap she gets served to work with she makes it work.

Keefy18

Outside of Game of Thrones, can you point me to a movie/TV show that demonstrates how good an actor he is?

Playing yourself is not a easy as it looks. Just look at Rooney in that advert. What separates a good actor from a bad one is how natural they are in their performances.
He's meant to be superb in The Station Agent.

TBF, I think many of the actors are getting a really bad name here and members justify this in a similar way you have, oh well what have they done other than Game of Thrones?

It's quite difficult to take on numerous roles whilst filming something as detailed as GoT.

It'll be interesting to see where they are in the years after its finished, I'd argue many will go on to great things.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ian McShane should have got a proper role.

diarm

That's not true
If it was, Littlefinger would've burned Neds remains and delivered an urn to Catelyn rather than lugging that enormous case of bones half way across the country in Season 2.

Dante

Average bang
He's meant to be superb in The Station Agent.

TBF, I think many of the actors are getting a really bad name here and members justify this in a similar way you have, oh well what have they done other than Game of Thrones?

It's quite difficult to take on numerous roles whilst filming something as detailed as GoT.

It'll be interesting to see where they are in the years after its finished, I'd argue many will go on to great things.
That's not how I'm justifying it. Quite the opposite .

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Either they have an amazing collection of the worst and sharpest declining TV actors or the show has increasingly terrible direction, editing and writing.

It's not the first bit. Capturing a performance depends on more than the skill of the performer.

D&d's neglect of the show looks to be the main culprit. But you love em so feck.

Last edited:

Keefy18

That's not how I'm justifying it. Quite the opposite .
You said

So basically, unless they've other respectable credits to their name it supports the argument they are rubbish.

Some of the actors are quite young so have long careers ahead you'd think, others like Dinklage got their big break with GoT. He had bit parts in respectable TV shows like Oz, Entourage and Nip /Tuck. Still at 49, he could easily carry on acting for another 20 years or more.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

X-Men Days of Future Past. I didn't see him as Tiryon and he sold himself as a mercenary American scientist really well. Tiryons arc has far more expressions and Peter Dinklage portrayed them really well. My favourite being his reaction when Oberyn confirmed he would be his champion. The gasp of relief was believable, relatable and just a good scene to watch.

Playing yourself when your job is an actor is a lot easier than playing something less comfortable. Look at Charles Dance in interviews, his mannerisms and etiquette along with his choice of words and presentation is extremely similar to the character he played. He's a terrific actor but his cast was as close to home as you can get for an actor.

Dante

Average bang
You said

So basically, unless they've other respectable credits to their name it supports the argument they are rubbish.

Some of the actors are quite young so have long careers ahead you'd think, others like Dinklage got their big break with GoT. He had bit parts in respectable TV shows like Oz, Entourage and Nip /Tuck. Still at 49, he could easily carry on acting for another 20 years or more.
That's a question not a justification. My justification was about his natural his acting is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

This is a slightly odd question as Dinklage has generally been critically acclaimed as an actor. So even if we completely accept for argument's sake that he isn't actually any good, people can still easily point to reviews he got in films like The Station Agent to argue the opposite when you ask them to. Whereas your question makes him sound like a Kit Harrington, where you'd be hard pressed to find a performance to (even wrongly) argue was good.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Dinklage was one of two actors who didn’t even have to audition, as the producers actively sought them out. Until Varys and Danny sent him to AA he was the best character in the show.

I don’t recall for sure but I’m guessing the other actor who had an automatic offer was Sean Bean.

Anustart89

Dinklage was one of two actors who didn’t even have to audition, as the producers actively sought them out. Until Varys and Danny sent him to AA he was the best character in the show.

I don’t recall for sure but I’m guessing the other actor who had an automatic offer was Sean Bean.
To be fair, it would’ve been between him and Verne Troyer considering the obvious attribute needed for the role...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

This is true. Tyrion was amazing a few seasons ago, his scenes with Obeyrn were sensational and he had that Headey talent of making any scene he was involved in captivating. Scenes with both of them in? Wow.

These days he's pretty pointless, his character has been butchered and he mostly gets crap dialogue. I honestly think Dinklage is just phoning it in himself now, get the show done and over with.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I guess somebody can clear something up.
Everybody saying the Crypt is the last place to stay,

Surely they can only raise the dead if they kill them, or they're freshly dead?
If that isn't the case, the army would be walking over land constantly raising anything and everything?

And surely somebody would think? Ya know what, best not put this lot in the crypts with all the dead people :lol:

kidbob

Tonight's episode will most likely be the white walkers chilling out and swapping memories.

PoTMS

Any links to leaks tonight's episode would be appreciated. Although surely there can't be another one.