Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

lsd

The Oracle
He's just one of those people who cant accept the show gets criticism and think therefore they must have some kind of biased opinion against it. Which is a load of shite. Perhaps, he's actually wrong and getting blinded by loyalty to the show? It's cool, we've all been there. But i'll still laugh, like I laugh at you in the Star Trek thread. It's all fun and games.

I don't think it's perfect it's a million miles away from the Wire for one thing .

However it's far to easy to tell when people are criticising just for the sake of it .

When you are posting multiple times on how bad you think it is or want others to think it is its kinda pathetic to be honest.

They clearly keep watching it so they don't hate it . Nor would you continue to post over and over again about a TV show you think is bad .

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Jon will take him over if he survives.

Or Arya will be the Nightking and Dragonslayer.
Please Christ no.

I can handle a lot of stuff but, Targaryen or not, adopt-a-dragon will piss me off so much.

Feck sake, that's what Drogon sniffing Jon is leading to, isn't it? Nooo.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They clearly keep watching it so they don't hate it . Nor would you continue to post over and over again about a TV show you think is bad .
I started watching this show when the pilot came out, that was April 17, 2011. We're on the final season, more than 8 years later and you honestly expect after an 8 year commitment that people will drop the show 2/3 episodes before it finally finishes? I loved this show from Seasons 1 to 4, adored it. I have like 1,400 posts in here. I really, really dislike the route the show has gone this season and I find what they've done to some of the characters in the show... hateful.

But by all means continue to cry. We'll just continue to take the piss out of the idiocy of some of the shite we've seen this Season. Anyway, please continue to name and shame these posters as Lambs suggested. Much obliged.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That scene will certainly be relevant yes imo. Either by failing to obey Daenerys orders to Dracarys or by Jon 'shudder' adopting him. Personally I hope he fecks off North after Daenerys inevitably is killed. I also really, really hope Arya is killed. But given the amount of screen time she's had this Season I very much doubt it. She's the hero of the show.

Dante

Average bang
I started watching this show when the pilot came out, that was April 17, 2011. We're on the final season, more than 8 years later and you honestly expect after an 8 year commitment that people will drop the show 2/3 episodes before it finally finishes? I loved this show from Seasons 1 to 4, adored it. I have like 1,400 posts in here. I really, really dislike the route the show has gone this season and I find what they've done to some of the characters in the show... hateful.

But by all means continue to cry. We'll just continue to take the piss out of the idiocy of some of the shite we've seen this Season. Anyway, please continue to name and shame these posters as Lambs suggested. Much obliged.
Unfunny shitposters like @Redlambs and @RedSky.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That scene will certainly be relevant yes imo. Either by failing to obey Daenerys orders to Dracarys or by Jon 'shudder' adopting him. Personally I hope he fecks off North after Daenerys inevitably is killed. I also really, really hope Arya is killed. But given the amount of screen time she's had this Season I very much doubt it. She's the hero of the show.
No chance. People adore Arya, they'll keep that in the pocket for a possible spin-off down the road.

Runner

Where did all the Dothraki on horses appear from? Those feckers proliferate every episode.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Please Christ no.

I can handle a lot of stuff but, Targaryen or not, adopt-a-dragon will piss me off so much.

I think it might happen

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Its snow, not ash!
Pretty sure we've always known its snow. I'm not 100% sure but I think the confirmed that in one of the after show shits. Either way the script for the episode had the below:

Season 2 Script said:
She looks up. The roof is missing and snow falls from the sky. [. . .] At the far end of the room, the Iron Throne waits for her, dusted with snow. Her dream made manifest.
Its just people hoping it's Ash to make sense of it when the reality is that vision never happened. Unless it's a dumb metaphor that Jon Snow takes the Throne, or a Northerner. We know it can't be actual snow given that the Longest Winter ever amounted to 3 snow flakes falling at the end of Season 7.

marktan

Just watched it.. thought it was pretty bad. Character assisinations left right and centre. The best thing the show has going for it is production values, but for that they've sacrificed any sense of decent writing. Here's what I disliked -

- Dany going crazy.. a little bit predictable, but only because they gave Euron laser guided scorpions to take down one of her dragons and pretty much everything else going against her this season to make her going crazy a tad bit believable. Forget the other 7 seasons though when she frees hundreds of thousands of slaves, tries to help the people of the slaved cities etc.
- Drogon burning anything and everything.. including the scorpions.. when Rhaegal got hit by 3.. in quick succession.. from a boat
- Jon being a mute the whole episode, not saying a word when Khaleesi burnt Varys or threatened to burn the city. The same man who gave his life to protect the realms of men..

- Jamie suddenly not caring about the innocents, despite the thing that he's most famous for - being a kingslayer, being precisely about him saving the innocents
- Jamie and Euron's cliched and pointless fight, down to the crawling for the sword. How many times have we seen that? If they'd killed Jamie then and there it'd be at least ok, but no he gets to be the movie trope of the guy that gets stabbed twice deeply, but still manages to kill the enemy. Shoutout to guy who wrote 'I'm the guy that killed Jamie Lannister!' for Euron. And of course being the total warrior that he is, he gets a sweet rock death in the arms of his lover. Great.

Honestly, I liked watching GoT this season as it's very well shot, but I really just wish the characters were who they were built up to be, and not this sudden season 8 morph a lot of them have become. The deus ex of Arya killing the night king, Rhagael dying.. and now this.. season's bit a pretty weird one for me.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
The the manner in which Varys was killed was the worst thing about this episode IMO.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The the manner in which Varys was killed was the worst thing about this episode IMO.
For years he's served cnuts because he understands he alone isn't able to change anything, and that it's better to be careful with the hope of implementing change in the long-term. Then by the start of this episode he's literally running around the beach trying to convince Jon to betray Daenerys like a desperate car salesman trying to convince someone to buy a Ford Fiesta.

Not to mention that...like, why did he ever support her in the first place, if she had reservations about her using her dragons in combat situations? Ridiculously stupid writing.

Loublaze

ATLien
For years he's served cnuts because he understands he alone isn't able to change anything, and that it's better to be careful with the hope of implementing change in the long-term. Then by the start of this episode he's literally running around the beach trying to convince Jon to betray Daenerys like a desperate car salesman trying to convince someone to buy a Ford Fiesta.

Not to mention that...like, why did he ever support her in the first place, if she had reservations about her using her dragons in combat situations? Ridiculously stupid writing.
Terrible writing indeed. They run of out ideas and phoned it in.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just saw the preview for the next episode.......

Where the feck were all those Dothraki and Unsullied when winterfell was under attack? There's loads of the feckers. :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Been looking at some reactions to the episode on YouTube and it’s so hard to find anyone who can make any sense of Daenerys killing all of those innocents like that.

Probably one of the worst character assassinations ever.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It has always just been fun light entertainment - tits and dragons.

I have been entertained and that is more than enough for me.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
When was the last tit we saw?

I was hooked into this because of Daenerys tits... then we never saw them again. bullshit.
Bronn with the whores in the first episode this season. Unless we saw Brienne's? I can't remember.

Dany has been nude a handful of times throughout the show though.

justboy68

I thought the episode was shot masterfully. Same can't be said for the script writing though. Really a shame to see this powerful series essentially given a half arsed effort in the end.

Seems like there should have been enough story for two full 10 episode seasons, if they wanted to make a real go of it. The first mainly revolving around the war against the Night King. The final setting the stage properly for Dany's descent to tyranny and tying up all of the characters stories in a more fitting way.

Can't understand the sense in the show being rushed towards a mediocre conclusion. Normally when you have a hit TV show, the instinct is to drag it out for longer than necessary. Game of Thrones is doing the polar opposite and condensing it too much. On a rewatch the entire pacing of the show must seem bizarre.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Daeny's actions were definitely foreshadowed (albeit a bit haphazardly) and also logical with the character because she has always had more vicious impulses but has been restrained by her advisors like Jorah, Barristan, Missandei and then Tyrion but she feels betrayed by Jon, by Tyrion, by all the current advisors and she has always had something in her about being betrayed and how that brings out her worst impulses that must be restrained. But she is supposed to be shown to have been methodically stripped of all her loving advisors and the ones that are left from Westeros have just betrayed her and as she mentions the people will never love. Now they could and should have depicted this descent better but Daeany's descent itself is certainly logical and within how Martin shaped the character.

Andy_Cole

Absolutely loved the episode.

Sort of agree with Dany, but at the same time loved it. Perhaps they should have made her get wounded to cause the madness. Then again I don’t know.

You hear stories of mad people just flipping, and even not remembering what they have just done. It could easily be something like that.

I don’t know why I always come to this thread (or any thread about movies/ TV shows) as you guys hate anything and everything.

Kapardin

There's still a chance she is killed after she inevitably kills Dany (if Melisandre's Green Eyes prophecy means what we think it does). Because Arya has nothing left for her once she achieves her aims. She doesn't like to take a husband and also doesn't have the Queen in the North job profile like Sansa. Best way to wrap up this character is to kill her too IMO.

But I think we have had an overdose of Arya. I get that her training with the faceless men had to have significant results, but the writers are acting like crazy Arya fans almost doting on her. Because of her, other more interesting characters have been sidelined. Bran's transformation into the 3 eyed Raven was given as big a build-up as Arya's assassin training but he has hardly been used much in contrast.

Assuming Arya kills Dany, I guess Jon will make himself useful and kill Greyworm who is an obvious goner in the next episode.

This is pretty much an Arya Stark fan-fiction at this point.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'd say after seeing how people view him when he opted to save innocent people by slaying the Mad King, I'd say it's probably Jamie's decided that this time, feck the innocent people, I'm gonna go save the woman that I love.

The problem is, just like Dany's (understandable) descent into madness, this transition has had no time to be built. That's the problem with finishing the series in such a rushed fashion. There's not time for nuanced build up, not like it was in earlier GoT seasons.

justboy68

Sort of agree with Dany, but at the same time loved it. Perhaps they should have made her get wounded to cause the madness. Then again I don’t know.

You hear stories of mad people just flipping, and even not remembering what they have just done. It could easily be something like that.

I don’t know why I always come to this thread (or any thread about movies/ TV shows) as you guys hate anything and everything.
To be fair this episode was the lowest rated in Rotten Tomatoes history for the show. Widely panned by critics. Hardly just the caf being overly negative. The one before wasn't received much better either. The episode was certainly a spectacle but the disappointment in the writing is well justified.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

Yeah, same. I'm just for the memes and Eboue's jokes really. It's a show about tits and dragons, just enjoy it however daft the script sounds.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah, same. I'm just for the memes and Eboue's jokes really. It's a show about tits and dragons, just enjoy it however daft the script sounds.
It’s not just a show about tits and dragons is it? It was a well written fantastic show at the start. Now it has become a parody of what it once was, but it was once a good show.

Kapardin

I think the writers aren't comfortable with clever, tactical characters and prefer to work with characters who are far more direct. The problem is that the show was built on the strength of characters like Tyrion, Littlefinger, Margaery Tyrell and even Cersei who were all nuanced, scheming characters influenced by the books. But the writers aren't comfortable with furthering their cleverness, so they basically don't know what to do in such a situation. So they knocked off Varys and Littlefinger, made Bran irrelevant, dumb down Tyrion and Cersei to one-dimensional levels and focus more on straightforward characters like Arya and Jon.

Dany's madness was certainly hinted and was a logical culmination of her character, but again, the writers aren't masters of subtlety and rushed through it a bit. The decision to include the line about Gods flipping a coin for every Targaryen being born is so unsubtle and smacks you in the face with what they want to convey rather than showing it subtly.

These guys would be great writers for Marvel or DC maybe, or shows that focus only on violence, as they do set-pieces very well. Not for a show of subtleties like GoT.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think I just realised what's going to happen. It's almost obvious when you think about it

Dany dies, duh. And so does Jon snow. End of the targaryen line.
And with it, the end of having a king of the iron throne, given how much blood has been spilled over it, and the fact that King's landing is basically destroyed anyway.
They go back to the old model of seven Kings/Queens for the seven Kingdoms.
Full circle of the targaryen cycle, who only came to westeros due to prophecy in the first place and which has now been fulfilled.