Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Classical Mechanic

I'm more miffed that his decision to go North after finally unshackling himself from Cersei (which was a massive moment for his character) had no real payoff. He goes North, kills some wights (doesn't do anything substantial in the battle), knights Brienne and then fecks her. I guess it's this issue with the speed of the story again. It's also his character giving a speech on his deathbed which conflicts with his most emotional moment in the show. Him returning to Cersei fits his character well, I don't think he was ever going to have a happy ending.
I agree the pacing is terrible.

I think the way Jamie and Cerci died was a metaphor for their relationship. I think in one episode they described feeling they 'were the only people in the world' when they were together but at the same time they were trapped in a massively destructive relationship and hated each other as much as they loved each other.

In the end they died trapped and as the only two people in the world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I do kind of wonder if there are two different cohorts of fans. People who enjoyed the moral ambiguity and people who tolerated it in the hope/expectation that it would resolved with the classical fantasy storyline of a hero(ine) defeating evil and saving the day. And it's the latter group of fans can't deal with Jon being a dopey, incompetent sap, Darys being a psychopath or Jaime turning out to be a bit of a loser. Hence we get all the moaning about "arcs" despite the writers essentially staying true to a premise that was established fairly early on. Everyone in the show is flawed and fallible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I agree the pacing is terrible.

I think the way Jamie and Cerci died was a metaphor for their relationship. I think in one episode they described feeling they 'were the only people in the world' when they were together but at the same time they were trapped in a massively destructive relationship and hated each other as much as they loved each other.

In the end they died trapped and as the only two people in the world.
Yup. Buried beneath the weight of a kingdom that carried a burden of responsibility which they were too damaged to survive.

EDIT: And yes, I hate myself for looking for this sort of allegory in a TV show I mainly watched because of all the tits and zombie dragons.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I do kind of wonder if there are two different cohorts of fans. People who enjoyed the moral ambiguity and people who tolerated it in the hope/expectation that it would resolved with the classical fantasy storyline of a hero(ine) defeating evil and saving the day. And it's the latter group of fans can't deal with Jon being a dopey, incompetent sap, Darys being a psychopath or Jaime turning out to be a bit of a loser. Hence we get all the moaning about "arcs" despite the writers essentially staying true to a premise that was established fairly early on. Everyone in the show is flawed and fallible.
What? The complaints are about the lack of moral ambiguity. I am not having “well her father went mad and she once burned some literal slaveowners” as a descent into Dany’s madness. That is one dimensional nonsense. There’s a complete in between of “I am a heroic princess delaying my ascent to the throne while i free any slaves” to “burn all the women and children”

I mean all this stuff “her friends and dragons are dead” is negated that her friend and dragon died last episode when she was already at kings landing. Maybe she could have gone mental then. Instead of returning home, mulling it over and then “snapping”.

There is no complexity to these characters. They have become charicatures.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
What? The complaints are about the lack of moral ambiguity. I am not having “well her father went mad and she once burned some literal slaveowners” as a descent into Dany’s madness. That is one dimensional nonsense. There’s a complete in between of “I am a heroic princess delaying my ascent to the throne while i free any slaves” to “burn all the women and children”

I mean all this stuff “her friends and dragons are dead” is negated that her friend and dragon died last episode when she was already at kings landing. Maybe she could have gone mental then. Instead of returning home, mulling it over and then “snapping”.

There is no complexity to these characters. They have become charicatures.
So your issue is with the precise timeframe between emotional trauma and subsequent breakdown? I can see why that would ruin the show for you.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So your issue is with the precise timeframe between emotional trauma and subsequent breakdown? I can see why that would ruin the show for you.
You’re being deliberately obtuse here. My issues with the show is that they have forced well written and intelligent characters into stupid situations to fulfil a need to have a certain amount of “cinematic” feel. The stuff with Dany last episode was farcical.

Fully Fledged

I think it's more that they saw Dany burning people alive and crucifying others without any sign of remorse as just and right and now that it's being shown as proof as her decent into madness they can't accept it. They equate it with Ned beheading the Nights Watch deserter even though he obviously did it with a heavy heart and they showed him explaining to Bran why he had to do it.

Classical Mechanic

I think it's more that they saw Dany burning people alive and crucifying others without any sign of remorse as just and right and now that it's being shown as proof as her decent into madness they can't accept it. They equate it with Ned beheading the Nights Watch deserter even though he obviously did it with a heavy heart and they showed him explaining to Bran why he had to do it.
That particular scene was to set out the character of the Stark family. 'He who passes the sentence must swing the sword'. Honour, responsibility but compassion too. The salt of the earth.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You’re being deliberately obtuse here. My issues with the show is that they have forced well written and intelligent characters into stupid situations to fulfil a need to have a certain amount of “cinematic” feel. The stuff with Dany last episode was farcical.
Dunno about being obtuse but can’t say I’m hugely surprised at you turning out to be someone who prefers their narrative to be utterly black and white, with one dimensional heroes and villains and no nuance or shades of grey.

That will be obvious to anyone who is familiar with your football forum contributions over the years :)

Kapardin

I think there was a way to make her madness seem rational. Whether she killed deserving people or not earlier, her method of burning them, crucifying them certainly were cruel and not as merciful as a quick death via beheading. She also seemed to delight in such executions in a self-righteous manner and was way too assured of her morality and higher position over others.

But Dumb and Dumber pretty much dumbed down the length of the show's final stretch to 13 episodes and rushed through everything with the velocity of wildfire started by a mad Targaryen ruler.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah, I'd agree with this.

I also think there's a lot of over-rating of the earlier seasons going on. They were interesting because the whole thing was such a novelty, compared to previous television series. But there was a load of really boring exposition and random, pointless, episodes. Unless you were already invested in the books and thrilled to see various characters you already cared about up on the screen. For the rest of us there was a lot of "Another new character with a hard to remember name. Feck's sake" moments.

Basically, the whole thing has been great fun while also being relentlessly silly. From day one. Which makes the po-faced breakdowns of the most recent few episodes a little hard to take seriously.
Season 2 and 3 can fall into the over-rated category, but seasons 1 and 4 are some of the finest TV ever made.

I note that there is a certain contingent of posters trying to dumb this show down as 'Tits and Dragons' and downplaying the decline in quality, and basically saying 'book nerds' have their knickers in a twist, but I just think its a ploy to play devil's advocate and be annoying. A lot of people fecked off with this show are not even book readers.. but just people with certain standards of how they expect a narrative to unravel and used to the high standards of the earlier seasons. Then you've got the type of viewer who barely engages with the show at anything beyond a very superficial level and they're probably the only fans who don't care about the decline which is probably where you fall into judging by your posts on the topic so far. That doesn't mean you lack the ability to assess the decline but it is more you couldn't give two shits really about the show and therefore it means you aren't really giving a serious opinion.

For me there is no doubt GOT at its best is a legendary TV show which catered to everyone and had all the qualities one would associate with near-perfect TV and the current season is so far off the pace in this regard it is astonishing.. you're talking GOAT contender TV show, to arguably one of the worst final seasons of a big TV show ever. It will go down in history for bombing so hard.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I guess my issue lies with the artistic presentation which, in the last two seasons, is closer to Marvel than to Martin's original work. Visually it's stunning but the tone of the series has definitely changed a lot. I'm not one of the people who will refer to D & D as "dumb and dumber" since Benioff has written two books i thoroughly enjoyed (one of them, the 25th Hour, became an excellent movie too) but i can't help but feel that they really missed a trick here.

I didn't expect the show to end with Daenerys becoming a benevolent ruler and restoring order in Westeros. Dany's character development from a "breaker of chains" who would break the wheel (her own words) into the Mad Queen is a development that could definitely make sense on the show. In fact, it is a development that seems much closer to Martin's worldview than to any LotR-like "happy ending". A worldview where the darkness that resides in the human soul and the absurdity of violence upon which each phase of human civilization has been built steadily lead a civilization to ash.

Some of my favourite scenes in the show where the ones with Tyrion and Jorah travelling through the ruins of Valyria, a civilization that once stood great and proud but now lies forgotten in debris with death being the only thing that has survived. That was back when the writers still had the time and the will to portray the show's worldview on screen and not on the next week's "previously on GoT". So, you're right that Dany will become a psycho, Jamie will be a loser, Jon will be an incompetent sap. And in the background, Stannis will always be burning Shireen alive and all the great buildings in KL will be burnt to the ground.

After the original material ran out, the narration became more minimalistic, more "1+1=2". This has hurt the show in the same manner in which the writing has hurt the second season of Westworld. The characters lose their depth, their "three-dimensional" status, and become just symbols that represent just one thing. The problem with GoT is that its characters were never like that. Despite Daenerys becoming the Mad Queen always being in the cards, her transformation seems plausible because it is in tune with the heart and soul of the story overall but it was completely out of sync with everything we've been watching up until the main characters started talking about it in the last two episodes. You could see this particular outcome but it was handled with very little grace. This should have been an episode that would make TV history. And not just for its special effects.

Sorry about the rant, just my two cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
That video really just vindicates what happened. Loads of hints in earlier seasons that she's capable of brutality. Which is an obvious risk when you have someone who comes from a family of people known to go crazy. They even set that up in this season, with the stuff Varys said about tossing a coin.

Then we have her endure a bunch of traumatic events and boom, she loses it. As in, has a full on breakdown. And full on breakdowns don't occur gradually over several months/years. In real life too. Look how often you hear about families/friends of people who suddenly murder their whole family - or commit school shootings - saying they were nice, normal people who they couldn't ever imagine doing such a terrible thing.

The storyline here is someone we know is capable of extreme brutality literally losing their mind in front of us. And - all things considered - we can't reasonably complain it was unexpected.
Yeah I don’t disagree with you here Pogue. It’s well in line with her character and she’s been portrayed - she’s been well capable of it.

I think where I agreed with the video were some of the silly writing to “fast forward” her to that point during this season. Like “she (& Tyrion them all) forgot about Eurons ships” - just to have another dragon killed & Missandei captured etc.

Suv666

My flatmate just started GOT and I binged both season 2 and 3 with him just to see if they were overrated and let me tell you the early seasons of GOT were the best shit ever made. Every episode was pure gold.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I can’t really relate to this post at all, for me the three characters you mention have lost all their complexity. By being honorable to the point of pure boredom, Jon loses the earlier complexity which had him break his vows. By becoming a pure evil child-murdering psychopath, Dany loses all her moral ambiguity. As for Jaime, tying his entire identity and destiny to his sister, to the exclusion of everything else, obscures the decisions he made which shaped his “Kingslayer” identity, which had nothing to do with his sister. There was actually a lot more to Jaime than his relationship to Cersei in earlier seasons; now however they’ve dumbed him down to a simple guy who is a slave to this relationship.

This applies to Tyrion as well. He was loveable and clever in earlier seasons, but could also be cunning, cruel and brutal when it served his purpose. Now he’s just this guy who goes around urging everyone to do the right thing, no matter how stupid the consequences.

Fully Fledged

That particular scene was to set out the character of the Stark family. 'He who passes the sentence must swing the sword'. Honour, responsibility but compassion too. The salt of the earth.
Yeah I agree. I loved Ned and I'm firmly stuck in camp Stark in part because of his character. He was an Island of morality in a sea of deceit and decay. His death crushed me but help me understand the concept of the show.

My favourite character now is Arya and for completely different reasons. I realised early on that the trauma she has been through has affect her sanity and that she is now a morally challenged character. I love that about her as much as I grieved the loss of her innocence in the early seasons. Her duo with The Hound cemented her place in my heart as they were comedy gold for several seasons.

I also realised early on that Dany was Morally challenged. I just didn't take to her character or story arc as much as I did Arya's. Maybe if she had had The Hound as her sidekick instead of Barristan and Jorah I'd have liked her more.

Now as I said my favourite character is Arya but if they completely screw her over in the last episode I'll be Game of Thrones strikes again and take it on the chin.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I can’t really relate to this post at all, for me the three characters you mention have lost all their complexity. By being honorable to the point of pure boredom, Jon loses the earlier complexity which had him break his vows. By becoming a pure evil child-murdering psychopath, Dany loses all her moral ambiguity. As for Jaime, tying his entire identity and destiny to his sister, to the exclusion of everything else, obscures the decisions he made which shaped his “Kingslayer” identity, which had nothing to do with his sister. There was actually a lot more to Jaime than his relationship to Cersei in earlier seasons; now however they’ve dumbed him down to a simple guy who is a slave to this relationship.
I’m kind of trolling at this stage tbh. I’m sure the writing is flawed. Just disagree with some of the issues being taken with it. Of course, it doesn’t help that I’ve no idea what you mean by “Kingslayer identity”. Should I have picked that up from watching the show? Or is that something which is more emphasised in the books? I definitely didn’t pay much attention to plot subtleties in earlier seasons. I just found all the exposition a bit boring. Always wanted them to fast forward to the next bit of hacking and slashing.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Yeah I agree. I loved Ned and I'm firmly stuck in camp Stark in part because of his character. He was an Island of morality in a sea of deceit and decay. His death crushed me but help me understand the concept of the show.

My favourite character now is Arya and for completely different reasons. I realised early on that the trauma she has been through has affect her sanity and that she is now a morally challenged character. I love that about her as much as I grieved the loss of her innocence in the early seasons. Her duo with The Hound cemented her place in my heart as they were comedy gold for several seasons.

I also realised early on that Dany was Morally challenged. I just didn't take to her character or story arc as much as I did Arya's. Maybe if she had had The Hound as her sidekick instead of Barristan and Jorah I'd have liked her more.

Now as I said my favourite character is Arya but if they completely screw her over in the last episode I'll be Game of Thrones strikes again and take it on the chin.
She could've done with some of Sandor's realism instead of Jorah's blind devotion.

"Westeros isn't going to worship you, you dumb bitch."

Fully Fledged

She could've done with some of Sandor's realism instead of Jorah's blind devotion.

Yep. I would pay to see season 2-5 Dany with The Hound as her only adviser. She would have turned out more ruthless but less self righteous about it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Of course, it doesn’t help that I’ve no idea what you mean by “Kingslayer identity”. Should I have picked that up from watching the show? Or is that something which is more emphasised in the books?

This is Jaime's most important scene in the entire show, he's describing the event in his life which shaped his entire "Kingslayer" persona. It's the moment we begin to understand that he's more than the cartoon villain his enemies believe him to be. Yet now we're meant to believe that this is a man who is a helpless slave to his love for his sister, incapable of real independent action.

(The above is also I think some of the finest writing and acting in the show, and a pretty good example of how the show has declined in recent seasons).

I definitely didn’t pay much attention to plot subtleties in earlier seasons. I just found all the exposition a bit boring. Always wanted them to fast forward to the next bit of hacking and slashing.
That's fine, people watch these things for different reasons, and get enjoyment from different aspects of it. For me the battles, tits and dragons have been the least interesting aspects of the show, there's plenty of other stuff I can watch for those.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

That actually made me LOLz. What a pairing that would have been.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That's fine, people watch these things for different reasons, and get enjoyment from different aspects of it. For me the battles, tits and dragons have been the least interesting aspects of the show, there's plenty of other stuff I can watch for those.
I'm in the same boat. Two people talking for 5+ minutes have always been the highlight of the show for me. It sounds arsey and pretentious but that doesn't mean I don't love the spectacles of Hardhome, BotB, the loot train etc. I just love the character stuff more.

Something like this...

Gripped me much more than Arya's stealth section in the library in episode 3 for example.

Dante

Average bang
Yeah, I'd agree with this.

I also think there's a lot of over-rating of the earlier seasons going on. They were interesting because the whole thing was such a novelty, compared to previous television series. But there was a load of really boring exposition and random, pointless, episodes. Unless you were already invested in the books and thrilled to see various characters you already cared about up on the screen. For the rest of us there was a lot of "Another new character with a hard to remember name. Feck's sake" moments.

Basically, the whole thing has been great fun while also being relentlessly silly. From day one. Which makes the po-faced breakdowns of the most recent few episodes a little hard to take seriously.
More to the point, I think there's a failure to understand that the earlier seasons were far more in-line with television serialisation, whereas the last couple have effectively been aired as a group of movies - each season is about 7 hours long, which is significantly less than the LOTR franchise and about the length of the average cinema trilogy. That distinction may not be as clear as, say, the difference between the Start Trek TV shows and the Star Trek movies, but it is the kind of shift in mindset you have to watch with now.

I also think that a lot of book readers watched the early seasons with the narrative already in mind, and the show only served to illustrate the main points, leaving character thoughts/motivations something they could refer to as words written on the page. Without the books to lean on, those same book readers have increasingly had to rely on a more film theory approach (which is not as pretentious as it sounds - it's what we all do when we watch a feature film). The newer experience is going to mean a change in the way the show feels for them, whereas it's remained fairly consistent for the rest of us.

Plus, there's the fact geeks don't like their niches going mainstream. They've been able to create a new in-group by vehemently railing against the counter-culture they used to be a part of. Unlike something the MCU, GoT is loved by everyone, not chiefly nerds.

The internet is the worst.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Plus, there's the fact geeks don't like their niches going mainstream. They've been able to create a new in-group by vehemently railing against the counter-culture they used to be a part of. Unlike something the MCU, GoT is loved by everyone, not chiefly nerds.
GoT has always been popular though right from the very beginning. It certainly had more people watch it as the show progressed this is true, but it always had a very big fan base initially. So i'm not sure that argument is right, we all loved the early seasons, the show started getting criticised with the Sand Snake plotline in Season 5.

This is Jaime's most important scene in the entire show, he's describing the event in his life which shaped his entire "Kingslayer" persona. It's the moment we begin to understand that he's more than the cartoon villain his enemies believe him to be. Yet now we're meant to believe that this is a man who is a helpless slave to his love for his sister, incapable of real independent action.
Agreed. I love that scene, one of the best in the show.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
More to the point, I think there's a failure to understand that the earlier seasons were far more in-line with television serialisation, whereas the last couple have effectively been aired as a group of movies - each season is about 7 hours long, which is significantly less than the LOTR franchise and about the length of the average cinema trilogy. That distinction may not be as clear as, say, the difference between the Start Trek TV shows and the Star Trek movies, but it is the kind of shift in mindset you have to watch with now.

I also think that a lot of book readers watched the early seasons with the narrative already in mind, and the show only served to illustrate the main points, leaving character thoughts/motivations something they could refer to as words written on the page. Without the books to lean on, those same book readers have increasingly had to rely on a more film theory approach (which is not as pretentious as it sounds - it's what we all do when we watch a feature film). The newer experience is going to mean a change in the way the show feels for them, whereas it's remained fairly consistent for the rest of us.

The internet is the worst.
This criticism doesn’t make sense to me - it’s just book nerds - then why does everyone I speak to offline who has never read the books and is barely into the fantasy genre at all detest the final season and feel miffed.

They’ve cocked this season up pure and simple and any attempt to dress it up as oh it’s you as the viewer who needs to adapt and it’s because it’s more like a movie now etc etc doesn’t bear any weight IMO.

There’s plenty of one off movies out there which tell an entire story which makes sense and entertains equally and gets excellent ratings etc They’ve had 6 episodes of decent length to make a good ending (yes in some ways that isn’t enough time) but it is more than the average movie and they’ve made a pigs ear of it in terms of narrative and pacing. Most of the characters endings have fallen flat and there is no sense of satisfaction or logic in most of their conclusions and even the ones that do make sense haven’t been executed effectively.

Danaerys going mad makes sense, way it is executed is shite - likewise Jaime going back to Cersei. Flip side they’ve completely cocked up likes of Jon and Bran to name but a few. It’s simply not good tv if we are looking at it from a quality control perspective which you could never say about the first four seasons.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'd say it's the opposite if anything. A lot of fans who are pissed off are ones who would argue the last few seasons have moved away from that well-written moral ambiguity into the realm of poor writing where characters decisions are illogical and don't make any sense relative to the characters that have been presented, and the way viewers perceive them.

Jaime going back to Cersei is fine if it's written well, the problem is that we were literally told an episode ago Cersei wanted to kill him - why does he go back to her when he previously abandoned her for breaking a promise to their enemies? It doesn't make sense. Similarly, Daenerys going mad and turning into an evil psychopath is a natural plot progression for the show to take; the problem is it happened over an episode. And Jon being a dopey, incompetent sap in principle isn't a bad thing - the problem is that everyone around him argues he's this incredible, highly-skilled and charismatic leader when the writing doesn't show that.

This applies to a lot of other characters. We're told Sansa is the smartest character on the show but she's done nothing to demonstrate this. Varys is meant to be a masterful schemer but dies because he betrays Daenerys in open, plain sight, even though he's served evil kings before. Tyrion is similarly meant to be smart but has spent the last two seasons acting as an idiot.

None of that's fans annoyed about a lack of moral ambiguity - it's just basic complaints about writing. Even in stuff that's not trying to be serious and morally ambiguous, generally having characters whose actions are consistent and logical to the writing is, like, a basic requirement of the work being somewhat decent.

Fully Fledged

I'd say it's the opposite if anything. A lot of fans who are pissed off are ones who would argue the last few seasons have moved away from that well-written moral ambiguity into the realm of poor writing where characters decisions are illogical and don't make any sense relative to the characters that have been presented, and the way viewers perceive them.

Jaime going back to Cersei is fine if it's written well, the problem is that we were literally told an episode ago Cersei wanted to kill him - why does he go back to her when he previously abandoned her for breaking a promise to their enemies? It doesn't make sense. Similarly, Daenerys going mad and turning into an evil psychopath is a natural plot progression for the show to take; the problem is it happened over an episode. And Jon being a dopey, incompetent sap in principle isn't a bad thing - the problem is that everyone around him argues he's this incredible, highly-skilled and charismatic leader when the writing doesn't show that.

This applies to a lot of other characters. We're told Sansa is the smartest character on the show but she's done nothing to demonstrate this. Varys is meant to be a masterful schemer but dies because he betrays Daenerys in open, plain sight, even though he's served evil kings before. Tyrion is similarly meant to be smart but has spent the last two seasons acting as an idiot.

None of that's fans annoyed about a lack of moral ambiguity - it's just basic complaints about writing. Even in stuff that's not trying to be serious and morally ambiguous, generally having characters whose actions are consistent and logical to the writing is, like, a basic requirement of the work being somewhat decent.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"I only meant to say..."

"That the woman who murdered my mother, father and brother is dangerous? Thank you for your wise council."

Sansa being sassy towards Littlefinger was always fun.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It is when you are facing a massive war during winter. What are you looking for in a show like this? Do you want her to write the seven kingdoms version of the Iliad?
She's mostly stating basic stuff that the other characters around her should know: it's winter so people are going to need lots of food, and because they don't have enough food, they're going to need more. It's a development on the girl she is in Season 1, but the show has given us very little evidence thus far to suggest she's a particularly capable or adept schemer. Her taking down of Littlefinger is meant to be presented as this, but the only reason she beats him out is because Bran literally tells her he's a cnut and that she should trust her own sister ahead of him. Even though she should already know the type of person he is considering he sold her to the Boltons.

I have no problem with her being regarded as competent, but she's done nothing on the level of early schemers like Littlefinger or Varys who largely engineered continental conflicts for their own ends.

Fully Fledged

She's mostly stating basic stuff that the other characters around her should know: it's winter so people are going to need lots of food, and because they don't have enough food, they're going to need more. It's a development on the girl she is in Season 1, but the show has given us very little evidence thus far to suggest she's a particularly capable or adept schemer. Her taking down of Littlefinger is meant to be presented as this, but the only reason she beats him out is because Bran literally tells her he's a cnut and that she should trust her own sister ahead of him. Even though she should already know the type of person he is considering he sold her to the Boltons.

I have no problem with her being regarded as competent, but she's done nothing on the level of early schemers like Littlefinger or Varys who largely engineered continental conflicts for their own ends.
Both of them ended up dying with nothing while she could still end up with her arse on the Iron Throne. It's not about short term gains but longevity.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Both of them ended up dying with nothing while she could still end up with her arse on the Iron Throne. It's not about short term gains but longevity.
Well yes, but that's because the writing for them became progressively stupid at the show went on as well. Varys literally wandering around a beach telling Jon to betray Daenerys openly when he's been built up as a careful schemer being case in point. Their stupidity doesn't make Sansa particularly intelligent. She's still done nothing to demonstrate herself as being a particularly impressive schemer beyond the level of any average ruler, and yet the show again wants us to believe she's the most intelligent person in Westeros.

Fully Fledged

Well yes, but that's because the writing for them became progressively stupid at the show went on as well. Varys literally wandering around a beach telling Jon to betray Daenerys openly when he's been built up as a careful schemer being case in point. Their stupidity doesn't make Sansa particularly intelligent. She's still done nothing to demonstrate herself as being a particularly impressive schemer beyond the level of any average ruler, and yet the show again wants us to believe she's the most intelligent person in Westeros.
If she is an repressive schemer should the likes of you and I see her moves?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If she is an repressive schemer should the likes of you and I see her moves?
You should see the end results. There's one episode to go and little to indicate she's got some grand plan which is going to be remarkably impressive or which will take everyone aback. And the show has been written for the past few seasons in a way where characters don't really scheme all that much anymore, they just state things openly to each other for the most part because subtext has been stripped away in the writing.

I'd say her handling of Daenerys was alright - she'd learned from trusting people too much previously to be a lot more guarded and demanding when it came to the north's future. But again while that demonstrates some intelligence, it does nothing to show she's anywhere near the most intelligent character on the show or a masterful schemer. Again, what actual scheming has she done?

Fully Fledged

You should see the end results. There's one episode to go and little to indicate she's got some grand plan which is going to be remarkably impressive or which will take everyone aback. And the show has been written for the past few seasons in a way where characters don't really scheme all that much anymore, they just state things openly to each other for the most part because subtext has been stripped away in the writing.

I'd say her handling of Daenerys was alright - she'd learned from trusting people too much previously to be a lot more guarded and demanding when it came to the north's future. But again while that demonstrates some intelligence, it does nothing to show she's anywhere near the most intelligent character on the show or a masterful schemer. Again, what actual scheming has she done?
After the death of her aunt she persuaded the Knights of the Vale to get behind Littlefinger which led to them turning up to support the North in the BotB. Then at the trial of Littlefinger she along with her sister and brother played the Knights to back her over Littlefinger.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
After the death of her aunt she persuaded the Knights of the Vale to get behind Littlefinger which led to them turning up to support the North in the BotB. Then at the trial of Littlefinger she along with her sister and brother played the Knights to back her over Littlefinger.
She didn't have to work hard to convince them though, they had a literal demigod present who was able to inform everyone that Littlefinger had murdered their lord and that he'd been responsible for orchestrating the war of the five kings.