Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Me too. Still nothing has come close to how much I enjoyed the show. The ending wasnt great, and i'd happily see it remade or extended but I loved the whole thing.
Zack Snyder's Season 8 GoT?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Still makes me laugh that their genius plan to gain Cersei’s support was to go over the wall and capture a wight :lol:
It's amazing because their logic was "Night King needs to get over the wall. So Night King needs a dragon. So the dragons need to come over to him. So Dany needs to be over the wall for some reason."

Forgetting, of course, that they had previously showed that the mark on Bran's arm was able to reneg any magic that blocked the Night King from entering places he wasn't allowed to.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The long night should have been extended for one. Could have a whole season dealing with the white walker invasion since they have been hyped up since the first episode so its bizarre it was over in just one battle. Usually such a big invasion would be a story in an of itself. When those religious zealots got into Kings Landing, they even lasted a season at the capital. The white walkers spent 7 seasons building up an army in the background only to get stopped at the north which was quite funny. Maybe GRMM intended this which I will also criticise when I read winds of winter (hopefully this year) but I felt it a missed opportunity to go into the real terror of the Walkers and talk of the "long winter/night" where we could have seen the impact on Westeros or the change in landscape and battle for survival. In the end it became just a movie.
(I get the special effects are costly so it may not be viable.)

Most of the effort was into special effects and battle sequences which is....cool....I guess. The last 2 seasons were hot trash. I enjoyed the rest of the series. It is almost universally accepted it was trash ending. even the actors seemed dismayed.

Charles Dance (who played Tywin)

“Well if there was a petition, I would sign it. I mean, I saw it. I continued to watch the whole series even after I’d been killed off in the lavatory.

I know that the finale satisfied a lot of people. It also disappointed a lot of people, and I’m afraid I am in the latter camp.”

And for the whole thing to end up as a committee, I just thought, ‘Hmm, no.’ I would say I was somewhat underwhelmed by.”

Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) said, “I was aware of the petition for a new ending, which I thought was hilarious. I almost wanted to donate to that petition.”

Obviously I can only speak for myself and i was thoroughly disappointed. Then I spoke to my closest friends who gave me verification. Then I saw on the internet that this was a hugely shared sentiment. Then the actors themselves have given me further validation so I know I'm not just "hatin".

I still weep
See? That's a great response! Unlike the Muppets on Reddit.

AgentSmith

The long night should have been extended for one. Could have a whole season dealing with the white walker invasion since they have been hyped up since the first episode so its bizarre it was over in just one battle. Usually such a big invasion would be a story in an of itself. When those religious zealots got into Kings Landing, they even lasted a season at the capital. The white walkers spent 7 seasons building up an army in the background only to get stopped at the north which was quite funny. Maybe GRMM intended this which I will also criticise when I read winds of winter (hopefully this year) but I felt it a missed opportunity to go into the real terror of the Walkers and talk of the "long winter/night" where we could have seen the impact on Westeros or the change in landscape and battle for survival. In the end it became just a movie.
(I get the special effects are costly so it may not be viable.)

Most of the effort was into special effects and battle sequences which is....cool....I guess. The last 2 seasons were hot trash. I enjoyed the rest of the series. It is almost universally accepted it was trash ending. even the actors seemed dismayed.

Charles Dance (who played Tywin)

“Well if there was a petition, I would sign it. I mean, I saw it. I continued to watch the whole series even after I’d been killed off in the lavatory.

I know that the finale satisfied a lot of people. It also disappointed a lot of people, and I’m afraid I am in the latter camp.”

And for the whole thing to end up as a committee, I just thought, ‘Hmm, no.’ I would say I was somewhat underwhelmed by.”

Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) said, “I was aware of the petition for a new ending, which I thought was hilarious. I almost wanted to donate to that petition.”

Obviously I can only speak for myself and i was thoroughly disappointed. Then I spoke to my closest friends who gave me verification. Then I saw on the internet that this was a hugely shared sentiment. Then the actors themselves have given me further validation so I know I'm not just "hatin".

I still weep
Even in death Tywin is still the fecking man.

Great post.

AaronRedDevil

Best show ever imo. Nothing comes close to the entertainment it brings. Just really fecking annoying they f**ked up a perfectly easy to do ending. Still pisses me off.

Last edited:

Withnail

Have been rewatching the whole thing from the beginning recently, halfway through season 8 now.

The first 6 seasons were brilliant, I didn't think I could rewatch it and enjoy it knowing how it ends but I have done. Rewatching it I'm not even bothered about the story lines of the last two seasons and the major issues with it that people have beaten to death already. I suppose its cos I know what happens, and no longer care. It's just the dialogue that annoys me. The first six seasons the dialogue was incredible, there'd be one or two absolutely poetic lines an episode, plus just the general conversations were all just perfect. From Season 7 it's like it's been written by a fan trying to mimic the earlier seasons.
Isn't that because it was?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I still can't believe how this show went out. In terms of "event tv," it's probably the biggest show that's ever been. Nothing comes close to how this show was watched by seemingly everyone and was discussed and analyzed to death each week. The excitement and expectation for the next episode was palpable. I don't think many shows will come near it, and I can't think of many (if any) in the past that has matched it.

But oh boy, did the final two seasons really shit the bed. I was thinking of doing a rewatch but due to the fact that I know what the show ends up being, I can't do it. It such a shame that it was ruined. I know the previous seasons are still great, and the last two can't completely erase them, but its reputation was tarnished immeasurably.

While many shows can't match it at its peak, there are also not many shows where the difference in quality between the earlier seasons and latter seasons is so stark (no pun intended).

AgentSmith

I still can't believe how this show went out. In terms of "event tv," it's probably the biggest show that's ever been. Nothing comes close to how this show was watched by seemingly everyone and was discussed and analyzed to death each week. The excitement and expectation for the next episode was palpable. I don't think many shows will come near it, and I can't think of many (if any) in the past that has matched it.

But oh boy, did the final two seasons really shit the bed. I was thinking of doing a rewatch but due to the fact that I know what the show ends up being, I can't do it. It such a shame that it was ruined. I know the previous seasons are still great, and the last two can't completely erase them, but its reputation was tarnished immeasurably.

While many shows can't match it at its peak, there are also not many shows where the difference in quality between the earlier seasons and latter seasons is so stark (no pun intended).
Mourinho-esque?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It really grinds me gears when people make a throwaway comment about 'how bad the ending of GoT was'. No you dipshit. It noticeably declined the very minute the writers started to diverge from GRRM's written masterpiece, way before the end. It just had some great moments still to carry the rest.
I definitely agree with you that the problems manifested way before the final season. I have some sympathy with the writers in that the scope of the books just kept getting bigger and bigger, so I can see why they wanted to streamline the narrative in order to come to a conclusion (I think wrapping everything up in the books is a gargantuan task and has probably contributed to Martin struggling to finish the series). While it makes sense in the books the introduction of characters like the Griffs late on and the greater focus on the Greyjoy brothers might have been difficult to balance with an already gargantuan cast. The problem though, is as you pointed out once they began to head in their own direction they just didn’t write any meaningful stories, everything felt really flat and fairly inconsequential. This wasn’t limited to the narrative either as even the characters themselves felt like shallow caricatures of what they had been, and dialogue became either very expositional or painfully rigid.

I wonder how much was down to a lack of (relative) ability and how much was down to fatigue or wanting to move on. Albeit relatively minor changes in the grand scheme of things, they proved that they could write meaningful dialogue and interactions without needing to extrapolate from the books in the first half of the show. There are scenes between Robert and Cersei, Varys and Littlefinger that aren’t in the books but were masterfully done in the show, that aren’t just impressive from an entertainment viewpoint but also capture the essence of their book counterparts. Even changes to the narrative like emphasising Robb’s role worked well. I guess there is a difference to making minor changes within an existing framework as opposed to ripping up the tracks and laying new ones.

“it just had some great moments to carry it” - I think that does sadly sum up the second half of the series, especially early on in the second half. As the quality dropped there was an episode here or there, or a scene that would give some hope for a satisfying conclusion, but they became more and more infrequent.

Nah, first two seasons. Then it went downhill.
I don’t agree with that. I actually think season 2 was the weakest of the first four seasons. I’d have to rewatch them again to give more detailed reasoning, I remember that season 1 was my favourite though.

I do think that the signs of the incoming decline was there pretty early on, but less so in the quality of the show but choices they were making and directions they were heading in.

If I had to rank the show personally, I’d say that seasons 1-4 were very good, I’d still have a few shows above it but on the whole I thought it was an excellent production. Seasons 5-6 were ok, with a couple great episodes, and 7-8 were pretty awful.

arnie_ni

I think it was better on second watch. I binged it during first lockdown when I had my acl op.

Tiber

Anyone actually believe the books will ever be finished?

I've given up

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Didn't D&D say something along the lines of wanting to put the red wedding on screen first and foremost? That was the peak for them I think. And the show, arguably.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
They clearly lost interest in the last few seasons and wanted to get it over with to move onto other big projects. Which has gone tremendously well I must say.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’ve been rewatching this over the last however long and to be fair I’m enjoying more than I did on the first watch.

I’m sure most of that comes down to expectations, after having been told it was the “best thing evaaaaa” I didn’t get much from it fist time around but going in this time expecting it to be largely pants I’ve mostly liked it.

With that said, all the stuff in Dorne was shite and my fecking word the entire storyline around the high sparrow and the religious nuts was absolutely SHITE.

Just seen Cersei blow up the lot of them and if I remember right it only gets worse now but I’ll see it out.

First four seasons were good with some great acting but after that varying degrees of poop.

Certainly not in the “best ever” discussion.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Didn't D&D say something along the lines of wanting to put the red wedding on screen first and foremost? That was the peak for them I think. And the show, arguably.
The Blackwater episode was the best for me. Probably the best episode of TV I've seen.

I agree with people that it was never the action sequences that made the show great, but even as a pure action episode/flick this was so many levels above anything in the later seasons, and had the added bonus that a tthe time you were invested in all the characters.

One of the biggest problems in the later seasons is that nearly all the characters had gone from being really well developed, distinct and likeable in their own way, to just being random people doing whatever random stupid rubbish the plot needed them to do, which made it impossible to care about them or what was going on during the whitewalker episode for example...which coupled with the fact that you also literally couldn't see what was going on for about 70% of the episode, made it quite rubbish.

I forgot how much that episode annoyed me actually. They built up to that for 8 seasons, then the entire battle took place in pitch black, apart from the dragon fight which took place in pitch black and inside a giant thick cloud. If you're going to character assasinate everyone on the show and resort to pure drama/action, probably important that the audience can actually see what's going on. Reminded me of that Godzilla film where you kept nearly seeing Godzilla do something, but then he'd disappear into some smoke, or some doors would close in front of the camera.

Sylar

For me Hardhome might be my favourite overall episode (though it might change if you ask me again next week). The tension in that episode and ending was just superb and showed you what a big threat was out there (before most people even knew or believed).

Reminded me of that Godzilla film where you kept nearly seeing Godzilla do something, but then he'd disappear into some smoke, or some doors would close in front of the camera.
The first Godzilla where they also killed off the best actor after like ten minutes too :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was going to say that Hardhome was the last top quality episode I could remember but tbf season 6 had The Door, Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter which were all well received episodes. What else was happening in season 6 that made us complain about it?

Not sure seasons 7 or 8 had any episodes that hit that top tier. I can think of a few individual scenes (like the dragon attacking the Lannister army) that were spectacular but my memory is of even the better episodes being infected by the bad and sloppy writing surrounding them.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was going to say that Hardhome was the last top quality episode I could remember but tbf season 6 had The Door, Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter which were all well received episodes. What else was happening in season 6 that made us complain about it?

Not sure seasons 7 or 8 had any episodes that hit that top tier. I can think of a few individual scenes (like the dragon attacking the Lannister army) that were spectacular but my memory is of even the better episodes being infected by the bad and sloppy writing surrounding them.
Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter were two of the best episodes in the entire show for me. Battle of the Bastards in particular was still at the point in the show where I thought anything could happen (before they completely ruined that in the next two seasons) so it still carried that tension.

And this isn't a popular one, but I still really like The Bells episode in season 8. The show had already shit the bed at that point, so I kind of liked that they basically said "feck it, let's just have here go mad and torch this place down" It was also one of the best-looking episodes in the show. Other than that, there's nothing there in seasons 7 and 8. The Long Night was dreadful.

Sylar

Season 6 was great

For me s7 had spoils of war which was amazing (though when Jamie was saved last second that kinda ruined it - and the aftermath of dany not even looking for him)
Visuals were still good but overall episodes i agree with

And this isn't a popular one, but I still really like The Bells episode in season 8. The show had already shit the bed at that point, so I kind of liked that they basically said "feck it, let's just have here go mad and torch this place down" It was also one of the best-looking episodes in the show. Other than that, there's nothing there in seasons 7 and 8. The Long Night was dreadful.
Bells was annoying due to the number of almost deaths for arya and then the horse where she rides off but next episode she's still there?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’ve been rewatching this over the last however long and to be fair I’m enjoying more than I did on the first watch.

I’m sure most of that comes down to expectations, after having been told it was the “best thing evaaaaa” I didn’t get much from it fist time around but going in this time expecting it to be largely pants I’ve mostly liked it.

With that said, all the stuff in Dorne was shite and my fecking word the entire storyline around the high sparrow and the religious nuts was absolutely SHITE.

Just seen Cersei blow up the lot of them and if I remember right it only gets worse now but I’ll see it out.

First four seasons were good with some great acting but after that varying degrees of poop.

Certainly not in the “best ever” discussion.
The sequences in Dorne were awful. I read somewhere that they had never really expected to take the show to Dorne, so they hadn't planned it out in advance like they had other story plots. It also signalled a change in how they went about telling the story, from it being a narrative first kind of show to the characters being the ones who advanced the story. Jaime and Bronn were both popular characters so they kind of hamfistedly gave them a quest to go to Dorne and have something to do, but the whole thing felt flat and stunk of filler. The depiction of Doran suffered as well because of a certain character who was cut, without him it kind of screws up the Doran storyline, and as a result he has little to do and is painfully inconsequential.

I think if it had stopped after the first 4 seasons, I'd have it as a great show but even with that caveat still below the very top tier of shows. It had unique characteristics considering the genre, but painfully lost it's way.

After enjoying the book I recently watched I, Claudius. It's incredibly dated to a comical effect, but has an incredible cast and even now is a pretty enjoyable watch. I can see how it influenced shows like GOT, even series like Sopranos or Breaking Bad have taken ideas from it. If anyone in this thread liked GOT I'd recommend giving it a shot, if you wanna waste a few evenings of your life on a 70s show.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The sequences in Dorne were awful. I read somewhere that they had never really expected to take the show to Dorne, so they hadn't planned it out in advance like they had other story plots. It also signalled a change in how they went about telling the story, from it being a narrative first kind of show to the characters being the ones who advanced the story. Jaime and Bronn were both popular characters so they kind of hamfistedly gave them a quest to go to Dorne and have something to do, but the whole thing felt flat and stunk of filler. The depiction of Doran suffered as well because of a certain character who was cut, without him it kind of screws up the Doran storyline, and as a result he has little to do and is painfully inconsequential.

I think if it had stopped after the first 4 seasons, I'd have it as a great show but even with that caveat still below the very top tier of shows. It had unique characteristics considering the genre, but painfully lost it's way.

After enjoying the book I recently watched I, Claudius. It's incredibly dated to a comical effect, but has an incredible cast and even now is a pretty enjoyable watch. I can see how it influenced shows like GOT, even series like Sopranos or Breaking Bad have taken ideas from it. If anyone in this thread liked GOT I'd recommend giving it a shot, if you wanna waste a few evenings of your life on a 70s show.
I was annoyed that they didn't have Arianne because, well, I can think of two big jubbly reasons. That and her character is such an amazing blend of mixed emotions. Dorne just felt flat because of it (again, also due to the lack of big jubbly reasons).

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Best show ever imo. Nothing comes close to the entertainment it brings. Just really fecking annoying they f**ked up a perfectly easy to do ending. Still pisses me off.
Well put. In a way, it would be amazing to watch it again like the first time

OleBoiii

The sequences in Dorne were awful.
This scene(starting from 4:15) never fails to make me laugh. Bronn's "for feck's sake" perfectly captures what practically everyone watching was thinking. And then we have the hilariously bad fight choreography, accompanied by that Donkey Kong drumming music. And then the terrible acting from the sand snakes to finish the train-wreck off :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
And then the terrible acting from the sand snakes to finish the train-wreck off
The scene where they have some dude buried up to his neck contains probably the worst acting HBO has ever produced.

Especially the little speech from the one who lobs a spear into buried guys face. She may as well be holding the script and looking down reading it as she speaks.

OleBoiii

The scene where they have some dude buried up to his neck contains probably the worst acting HBO has ever produced.

Especially the little speech from the one who lobs a spear into buried guys face. She may as well be holding the script and looking down reading it as she speaks.
Ahh, I remember it now. PTSD alert.

I dislike D&D as much as the next guy, but I appreciate this bit of fan service with Olenna completely shutting the sand snakes down. Surely it's the only time they came even close to admitting that they fecked up.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

In the
books
the sand snakes were actually fairly cool and in my imagination fairly hot. In the Tv series they are just totally cringe and dressed ridiculously. Essentially if they wanted to create some femme fatale characters they could have done so much bette.r

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
In the
books
the sand snakes were actually fairly cool and in my imagination fairly hot. In the Tv series they are just totally cringe and dressed ridiculously. Essentially if they wanted to create some femme fatale characters they could have done so much bette.r
They ruined Doran too. I was quite excited when they cast Julian Bashir.

Also made total sense that the Sand Snakes and Ellaria decided the best way to honour Oberyn who was killed whilst trying to avenge his sibling dying was to kill his other sibling. Good stuff there.

Mike Smalling

Remember when Ed Sheeran just randomly appeared in an episode for some reason? Surely has to be one of the weirdest cameos in TV ever. Completely pointless and immediately took me out of the series. It was a great example of how the spectacle of the show was becoming more important than the actual storytelling.

Another lesser known example was when Danish comedian/actor Frank Hvam appeared in an episode. Apparently the producers were a fan of his, so decided to put him in the show. The only problem was, that his accent is so strong that he had to be dubbed - I guess the ability to say your own lines was more of a 'nice-to-have' for D&D.

Gehrman

Remember when Ed Sheeran just randomly appeared in an episode for some reason? Surely has to be one of the weirdest cameos in TV ever. Completely pointless and immediately took me out of the series. It was a great example of how the spectacle of the show was becoming more important than the actual storytelling.

Another lesser known example was when Danish comedian/actor Frank Hvam appeared in an episode. Apparently the producers were a fan of his, so decided to put him in the show. The only problem was, that his accent is so strong that he had to be dubbed - I guess the ability to say your own lines was more of a 'nice-to-have' for D&D.

As a Dane I was fairly impressed by Frank Wham's english accent. Considering they had to dub him they may as well just have left him out.

Gehrman

You didn't realize it wasn't him right away, when you saw the scene?
I knew it was Frank Wham yes, which seemed out of place, but considering they dubbed him they might as well have scrapped the cameo.

Mike Smalling

No I thought he might have done bang up job like the rest of the danish actors in the series :)
Fair enough :lol: just thought it was completely obvious. Yeah, they all did alright I suppose - Pilou cannot be blamed for how terribly Euron was written.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Wasn’t some of the Dorne stuff just to give the actors something to do, particularly Jamie and Bronn? They also wanted screen time for mama Sand Snake, whatever her name was.

Mike Smalling

Wasn’t some of the Dorne stuff just to give the actors something to do, particularly Jamie and Bronn? They also wanted screen time for mama Sand Snake, whatever her name was.
Yeah, pretty much. Bronn became a fan favorite, so they had to keep him around and invent a character arc for him. In the books he pretty much fecks off, the first chance he has to get some serious money, which is much more in line with his original character. He is also added to the scenes where Jaime trains fighting with his left hand. In the books Jaime trains with the mute executioner, because he wants to keep it a secret that he cannot fight, but in the show he chooses a notoriously chatty sellsword - go figure.

There is a Dorne plot in the books, but the shows version deviates wildly, and Jaime and Bronn are of course not involved at all.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This scene(starting from 4:15) never fails to make me laugh. Bronn's "for feck's sake" perfectly captures what practically everyone watching was thinking. And then we have the hilariously bad fight choreography, accompanied by that Donkey Kong drumming music. And then the terrible acting from the sand snakes to finish the train-wreck off :lol:

I hadn’t watched this since it came out, and it’s worse than I remembered. I heard somewhere they weren’t given much time to film these scenes, but that is just awful.

Sylar

Oh god, 'bad pussy' is terrible.

And his big head taking up the whole shot. All because Arya was a fan of his music.

AaronRedDevil

Oh god, 'bad pussy' is terrible.

And his big head taking up the whole shot. All because Arya was a fan of his music.
To be fair. It was a good scene. Seeing the lannister soldiers in a different light and not all of them were cnuts.