Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s totally legit them criticising it in my book. I mean, it’s arguably the greatest series ever….or would have been if they hadn’t botched the ending. You’d have the right to be fecked off with what happened, it ruined their immortality (to an extent)

lsd

The Oracle
I think Emilia Clarke came close to criticising it but she still had to watch what she said.

Understandable, you'd probably get blackballed in Hollywood for shitting on writers/directors/showrunners.

Edit: @lsd posted it.

I think quite a few did criticise it I know Charles Dance went so far too say he would sign a petition to remake the last season the actor played Jamie might have said something similar too

Also Lena Headey wasn't happy how she is died, Maisie stated she had problems with how it ended for her and there were others as well.

At the end of the day they are human and I'm sure they put a lot of effort into being in the show and knew what was happening in the last couple of seasons

AaronRedDevil

:lol: feck yeah. And don’t even come near me with breaking bad. It bored me to fecking tears and I gave up in the second season
Hey, it had to be said. Despite that bastard S8. It was truly peak entertainment. Its worse season is better then most shows. Unpopular opinion I'd say.

Sylar

Just over 3 years since the finale as well

Jon Snows story from the beginning to battle of the bastards was great. From s7 (or the moment he bent the knee) it just went weird cos it should have been a great twist once his real name was revealed. Thrown out like it meant nothing

Bleh

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hey, it had to be said. Despite that bastard S8. It was truly peak entertainment. Its worse season is better then most shows. Unpopular opinion I'd say.
Thank you. It reinforces the point that I made….if season 8 hadn’t been such a shitshow it’d have a legitimate claim to being the best show ever
You missed out.
Yeah I keep getting told that. I really should persist with it but it was boring the feck out of me. I can’t deny that I’m clearly in the minority here though

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thank you. It reinforces the point that I made….if season 8 hadn’t been such a shitshow it’d have a legitimate claim to being the best show ever

Yeah I keep getting told that. I really should persist with it but it was boring the feck out of me. I can’t deny that I’m clearly in the minority here though
I struggled with Breaking Bad throughout. Didn't like the characters and the story which at times was good also went through patches of being annoying. You aren't alone.

Sylar

I would have had no issue with bran being king
Nor the heel turn of Dany if the leadup was better

It really needed three more seasons and it could have been fleshed out so much better

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
The last two seasons were atrocious not only because they were objectively terribly written by themselves, but also because they nuked the character arcs and motivations that were beautifully developed over all the previous years.

Jamie's line about not caring about the people, Tyrion's braindead dialogue and decisions, Danny 'kind of forgot', Jon Snow's reveal turning out to be for nothing, Bran U-turning on his motivations - the list goes on.

What a fecking car crash. I hate D&D's smug incompetence with a passion. They took something so many of us loved and Toyota annihilated it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I thought the final season started really well. It was the final 2/3 episodes that let it down as they basically just press fast forward on pretty much everything and ruined it.

The Episode where the army of the dead attack Winterfell in the Fog was fantastic though I thought. Very atmospheric.

Irwin99

Another plot point in the show I thought was weird was Jamie not knowing the relationship between Cersei and Lancel. In the books he's furious at her for it although I think he forgives Lancel.

Mind you in the show she sends Bron to kill him and that's completely forgotten/forgiven/never mentioned again :houllier:. That's one of the aspects of the bad writing for me, it was just such a throwaway tease that amounted to nothing.

Sylar

Bron was the real winner of GoT. He just kept upgrading every time we saw him

padr81

Supports
Man City
I mean how can anyone not think the guy saying "I'm the three eyed raven, I can't be lord of anything" followed by (paraphrasing here) "Surprise motherfeckers, I was playing 8d chess, this was my plan all along, I want to be King, but just not of north, that place is cold and smelly and I'm gonna leave it to my idiot sister" wasn't genius level writing?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I mean how can anyone not think the guy saying "I'm the three eyed raven, I can't be lord of anything" followed by (paraphrasing here) "Surprise motherfeckers, I was playing 8d chess, this was my plan all along, I want to be King, but just not of north, that place is cold and smelly and I'm gonna leave it to my idiot sister" wasn't genius level writing?
And his sister next second saying; "Hey, btw north is leaving 7 kingdoms". On which he says; "Ah, ok. No problem".
While Ironborn who had a deal with Dany to leave and who should be pissed as feck because their queen is dead, saying nothing.

And all that while you have half Targaryen half Stark alive.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Bran was horribly portrayed in the show. I mean I understand why he is a good choice and it made sense to me. But he was just forgotten about in the show, barely appearing and the groundwork wasn't laid.

Bebe

the back half of season 7, and the entirety of season 8 are some of the dumbest TV I've ever seen. Feck the showrunners or anyone else blaming "toxic Twitter" for the backlash. There are times where internet culture goes OTT in criticizing such things, but that wasn't the case with GoT at all.

A shame, because the first 6 seasons might be the best in TV history (outside of The Wire, obviously).

Bebe

And then Pinky and Perky turned up and thought the Red Wedding wasn't about the culmination of one boy's foolish refusal of his duty in the name of selfish lust, and the reality of the harshness of the world, but was instead just meant to shock people. And everything they did after the book's story ended was more of the same. Shocking moments. Material for dipshits on YouTube to react to.
Couldn't agree more.

Sylar

Kinda an odd bump by me.
Watching the final season on Sky Atlantic to pass time (have something in the background as I did some work)

Episode 3 as a standalone episode is entertaining. Some of the things certainly dont make sense, but outside of that, its still an entertaining episode with some great action scenes. And the music to the end for the night king is probably the best music (along with end of s6) for GoT. The music accompanies the ending really good.
I also remember everybody complaining about lighting ...

However episode 4, everything about it is stupid. Its probably the worst one of the season. I kinda stopped on ep5 when the Varys clone gets killed for doing unVarys type things. I forgot how stupid the dragon death thing was.

Also didnt realise its been 4 years since the final season started.

Was also reading about Dunk & Egg being ordered as a TV show officially, so I guess thats news

meamth

Kinda an odd bump by me.
Watching the final season on Sky Atlantic to pass time (have something in the background as I did some work)

Episode 3 as a standalone episode is entertaining. Some of the things certainly dont make sense, but outside of that, its still an entertaining episode with some great action scenes. And the music to the end for the night king is probably the best music (along with end of s6) for GoT. The music accompanies the ending really good.

However episode 4, everything about it is stupid. Its probably the worst one of the season. I kinda stopped on ep5 when the Varys clone gets killed for doing unVarys type things. I forgot how stupid the dragon death thing was.

Was also reading about Dunk & Egg being ordered as a TV show officially, so I guess thats news
Yes, it was an abomination of a finale. GOT was forgotten until GRRM resurrected the interest with HOTD last year. The backlash was crazy back then, from one of the best shows to rival the brilliance of Breaking Bad, it was considered a massive failure in the end.

It was a broken franchise, barely saved by the author himself. I'm glad we have HOTD now.

GueRed

Might give this another watch soon.

After a slowish start I remember being blown away in those first few seasons..

Was hard at first keeping track of who was bumming who and why,
throw in a few whores, boobs a lot of dialogue, thousands of characters and boobs and medieval violence...I eventually loved it

minus the last season which was ok, up there with The Sopranos as one of my favourite shows of all time.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

throw in a few whores, boobs a lot of dialogue, thousands of characters and boobs and medieval violence...I eventually loved it

minus the last season which was ok, up there with The Sopranos as one of my favourite shows of all time.
I restarted yesterday myself. Seeing Mark Addy for only 7 episodes and Sean Bean for 9 are still two of the best characters from all the seasons.

lsd

The Oracle

I loved it up to the end but the end was just so absolutely terrible that I could never rewatch the show again.

It would be impossible to me to watch something that I would know ends so horrifically.

AaronRedDevil

Saw the episode Season 8 episode 3 for about 30 seconds last night before I had to turn it off. Still not over it. Everything was soo fecking stupid beyond comprehension. Love the show all the before that episode. The first 2 were going great with all the characters meeting up. Then...yeah. I love tue show still but 8 just hurts.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Kinda an odd bump by me.

Varis clone? Are you kidding, it was 100% in character for the master of whispers.
What master of whispers doesn't stand on a beach in ear shot of everyone saying "We have to murder the queen" to said queens boyfriend nephew who has spent 2 years shouting "I don't wan it, Steve McQueen" to everyone who'll listen.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Saw the episode Season 8 episode 3 for about 30 seconds last night before I had to turn it off. Still not over it. Everything was soo fecking stupid beyond comprehension. Love the show all the before that episode. The first 2 were going great with all the characters meeting up. Then...yeah. I love tue show still but 8 just hurts.
It just became a parody of itself. The final episode hit like a Seinfeld episode at times.

Sylar

Yes, it was an abomination of a finale. GOT was forgotten until GRRM resurrected the interest with HOTD last year. The backlash was crazy back then, from one of the best shows to rival the brilliance of Breaking Bad, it was considered a massive failure in the end.

It was a broken franchise, barely saved by the author himself. I'm glad we have HOTD now.
I was thinking, its gonna be a long time until we see a phenomenon like this again. Somebody at work hasnt seen this but knows about the red wedding, and Jon Snow. Crazy.

I missed this! Fingers crossed it's good, loved the novellas.
https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/04/14/a-knight-and-a-squire/
"working title will be A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS: THE HEDGE KNIGHT. Whether that will be the final title, I can’t say for sure… beyond saying that no, it won’t be called TALES OF DUNK & EGG or THE ADVENTURES OF DUNK & EGG or DUNK & EGG or anything along those lines."

Varis clone? Are you kidding, it was 100% in character for the master of whispers.
What master of whispers doesn't stand on a beach in ear shot of everyone saying "We have to murder the queen" to said queens boyfriend nephew who has spent 2 years shouting "I don't wan it, Steve McQueen" to everyone who'll listen.
I think it was him almost drowning the episode before that made him forget who he was...

The funny thing is, I actually liked one of the last things he did, which was try to subtly poison Dany through her food and that girl in the kitchen, which wasnt on the nose, but more what he was like.