Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

b82REZ

Hopefully the fact that the history and lore of Westeros is already fleshed out means we don't get another ending like GoT.

Assuming they focus solely on the first Dance with Dragons they have a lot of exciting material to work with.

Sylar

Funny thing is, with the script and all being done and just needing adaptation, D&D would probably be perfect for that part :lol:

Anustart89

He's too busy making more money doing other things than finishing off his own work which he clearly is incapable of doing.
He'll probably choke on one of his chins before he manages to finish the books.

Alright, full disclosure, I haven't read a single page of the books so I'm just joining in on the internet pelting.

AaronRedDevil

Who the feck does this old bastard think he is having a go at us?
Nothing toxic about it. Explain one single thing after S8 episode 2 and tell me it makes sense. It was a disaster and nothing went the way that made any sense whatsoever.

Irwin99

I don't know why he can't understand why fans were annoyed at that season and why it undid virtually everything he set up in the books in terms of themes. The idea was that if you made a mistake you paid for it catastrophically in the 'game of thrones'. Jon Snow's character did stupid thing after stupid thing in the last two series and kept being saved by the writing/plot armor. If he had died again it would have been better.

Still can't get over that he kills the queen and then her dragon decides to take vengeance...not on him, but on the fecking chair!!!! Then Grey Worm just decides to hand him over to the new authority instead of killing him there and then :lol: . Just bullsh*t writing and gushing over a really crap 'hero'.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
When it was great it was praised to the heavens, when it was shit it was criticised to an equal extent.

I was a huge fan of the series, now I couldn't recommend it to anyone without the caveat of "Listen it goes to shit at the end but the first 5 or so seasons probably make it worth it".

lsd

The Oracle
I could never rewatch the show again and I loved it for so long but there's no way I could watch something again when I know the ending is so terrible.

It's like I can't watch a show if I know it was cancelled and finished on a cliff hanger as it's pointless to me and for GOT is the same story in fact it works have been better to just end it without resolving anything as they made such a mess of it

lsd

The Oracle
I don't know why he can't understand why fans were annoyed at that season and why it undid virtually everything he set up in the books in terms of themes. The idea was that if you made a mistake you paid for it catastrophically in the 'game of thrones'. Jon Snow's character did stupid thing after stupid thing in the last two series and kept being saved by the writing/plot armor. If he had died again it would have been better.

Still can't get over that he kills the queen and then her dragon decides to take vengeance...not on him, but on the fecking chair!!!! Then Grey Worm just decides to hand him over to the new authority instead of killing him there and then :lol: . Just bullsh*t writing and gushing over a really crap 'hero'.

Nothing beats Ayra literally dropping down from the sky to kill the Night King

Mike Smalling

My favorite thing in season 8 was probably Euron hitting three consecutive shots on a moving dragon from hundreds of meters away on a rocking boat, but then 30 seconds later the whole fleet failed to hit anything when Daenerys was charging straight at them.

Also, with the amazing precision he showed initially, he probably should have aimed at the dragon carrying his number one enemy.

Irwin99

Nothing beats Ayra literally dropping down from the sky to kill the Night King
I can understand that but I thought it was odd that people were complaining about Arya repeatedly defying death and calling her a 'Mary Sue' but John Snow was far worse in the later series in my opinion.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Been catching some of the end episodes on TV the past few days. Gods it was a good show back then. Every new scene was the purest drug :drool: even though the last few seasons were a bit shite. How good it could have been if it was based on a fully finished series of books.. we’ll never know. Massive shame but also still a massive blessing in my eyes to have had all the seasons that came from the perfection of the books and even some of the stuff that came after it diverged was good at first.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It seems strange that he's saying this considering the general consensus for the last few years was that he didn't agree with the direction that the show was going in.

The books are great. A bit dense at times, and he must be hungry often judging by the way he goes on about the food people are eating. But the dynamic between his different characters, how their staunch beliefs often clash with one another, and his adversion to some fantasy tropes without forcibly trying to "subvert expectations" was always a good read.

And then Pinky and Perky turned up and thought the Red Wedding wasn't about the culmination of one boy's foolish refusal of his duty in the name of selfish lust, and the reality of the harshness of the world, but was instead just meant to shock people. And everything they did after the book's story ended was more of the same. Shocking moments. Material for dipshits on YouTube to react to. And after the moment was over there was nothing to reflect on. No clues on a second viewing as to what would transpire, and how the characters flowed through the story like water instead of being forced into doing dumb shit purely for story purposes. Which is why I can remember the Red Wedding and emotionally feel it, but barely feel or remember anything about the D&D created twists and cheap shocks.

Edit: I think the last time Jon Snow did anything worthy of Jon Snow was when he haphazardly fell for Ramsey's trap and rode on his own to try and save his brother. That entire moment is the last time I felt something for the show or the characters.

Last edited:

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
It seems strange that he's saying this considering the general consensus for the last few years was that he didn't agree with the direction that the show was going on.

The books are great. A bit dense at times, and he must be hungry often judging by the way he goes on about the food people are eating. But the dynamic between his different characters, how their staunch beliefs often clash with one another, and his adversion to some fantasy tropes without forcibly trying to "subvert expectations" was always a good read.

And then Pinky and Perky turned up and thought the Red Wedding wasn't about the culmination of one boy's foolish refusal of his duty in the name of selfish lust, and the reality of the harshness of the world, but was instead just meant to shock people. And everything they did after the book's story ended was more of the same. Shocking moments. Material for dipshits on YouTube to react to. And after the moment was over there was nothing to reflect on. No clues on a second viewing as to what would transpire, and how the characters flowed through the story like water instead of being forced into doing dumb shit purely for story purposes. Which is why I can remember the Red Wedding and emotionally feel it, but barely feel or remember anything about the D&D created twists and cheap shocks.
the king of the caf!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I can understand that but I thought it was odd that people were complaining about Arya repeatedly defying death and calling her a 'Mary Sue' but John Snow was far worse in the later series in my opinion.
It was a shame because her journey was brilliant. If only they had leaned more into the bit about her being a bit of a psycho and her conflict with societal norms/her sister, instead of just wasting time on "no cock" jokes. At the very least her decision to go and explore the world would have had more impact.

But, yeah, some folk just like to bitch and moan because the wimmin are doing man stuff.

Irwin99

Another funny one was Cersei sending a hired killer, Bronn, to murder her brothers and it NEVER gets brought up by them again or even makes them angry.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Another funny one was Cersei sending a hired killer, Bronn, to murder her brothers and it NEVER gets brought up by them again or even makes them angry.
Yeah. "Go there so the story can do the thing "

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It was a social media backlash," Bloys said. "I think in multiple parts of our society, we are reminding ourselves that Twitter is not real life. We knew it was going to be divisive and, of course, you want all fans to be happy, but that's never going to happen. There weren't a lot of people walking around despondent or upset. It's a take that reads well but probably doesn't fully reflect viewer feelings."
That's not really true though, is it?

There have been examples in the past of things receiving a backlash from some internet nerds or hardcore fans but being much better received critically and by the broader public, but this ain't one.

Leaving aside the social media backlash entirely, professional TV critics tore into it a fair bit too, with season 8 being easily the worst received season and the final two episodes being the worst reviewed of the entire show. And it certainly seemed like more casual real-life GOT fans had noticed the drop off in quality as well.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
That's not really true though, is it?

There have been examples in the past of things receiving a backlash from some internet nerds or hardcore fans but being much better received critically and by the broader public, but this ain't one.

Leaving aside the social media backlash entirely, professional TV critics tore into it a fair bit too, with season 8 being easily the worst received season and the final two episodes being the worst reviewed of the entire show. And it certainly seemed like more casual real-life GOT fans had noticed the drop off in quality as well.
Were the final two seasons shit?

No, it is the vast majority of the public and professional TV critics who are wrong

lsd

The Oracle
Were the final two seasons shit?

No, it is the vast majority of the public and professional TV critics who are wrong

Peter Dinklage says pretty much the same thing doesn't he? Everyone who hated it is wrong and just saying that because they are idiots.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Peter Dinklage says pretty much the same thing doesn't he? Everyone who hated it is wrong and just saying that because they are idiots.
Actors aren't going to diss projects they've worked on because then they won't get hired for other ones.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think Emilia Clarke came close to criticising it but she still had to watch what she said.

Understandable, you'd probably get blackballed in Hollywood for shitting on writers/directors/showrunners.

Edit: @lsd posted it.

MiceOnMeth

Rewatching it for the first time since season 8 aired. Gods season 1 is brilliant. On episode 3 and The introduction of the characters and the dialogue is just so good. Ned and Jaime at the feast, every scene with Robert and Ned is pure class.
Season 1 was over 10 years ago and it's still by far the best looking tv show ever aswell which is remarkable.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think Emilia Clarke came close to criticising it but she still had to watch what she said.

Understandable, you'd probably get blackballed in Hollywood for shitting on writers/directors/showrunners.

Edit: @lsd posted it.
It’s totally legit them criticising it in my book. I mean, it’s arguably the greatest series ever….or would have been if they hadn’t botched the ending. You’d have the right to be fecked off with what happened, it ruined their immortality (to an extent)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Rewatching it for the first time since season 8 aired. Gods season 1 is brilliant. On episode 3 and The introduction of the characters and the dialogue is just so good. Ned and Jaime at the feast, every scene with Robert and Ned is pure class.
Season 1 was over 10 years ago and it's still by far the best looking tv show ever aswell which is remarkable.
The verbal sparring in the early seasons was so good.