Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

RK

Easier said than done. You don't know when he's going to move and he's fast as feck.
You could probably find that exact quote in the Valencia thread (I love Tony though). It's definitely easier said than done, but you still see defenders far to square and caught by surprise too often. Just let him go right and have someone prepared to cover.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
It'd be interesting to see his shots to goal ratio, he takes more shots at goal than anyone else I've seen. Whether he's told to do that by AVB though, I'm not sure. I do feel he is a player we should be going all out to sign though, sadly it's going to cost in excess of £50m, and I don't think we are the sort of club to pay that sort of sum for one player.
Are you forgetting Ronaldo? ;)

Number7

Ret's Slave
British players don't travel well. As much of a lure as Real Madrid are, they don't play in the best league in the world.

Skorenzy

Maybe the best striker of the ball in the world, he's got a tremendous shot from range. Not the best in the league though, and nowhere near top 3 in the world. Van persie, mata Suarez are all better in the league (Rooney on top form as well). People tend to forget that bale is as much of a winger these days as van persie is. He plays behind the striker usually so his goal tally isn't amazing. His build up play isn't something to be amazed about either, like Mata's. Pretty much the only things he has on Suarez and van persie is shooting from range (marginal over rvp) and his pace. He's had a fantastic season, yes, but there's a ridiculous amount of overrating going on here.

Mata has 20 goals and 35 assists (:eek:) this season
Van persie has 30 goals and 9 assists
Suarez has 30 goals and 11 assists
Bale has 25 goals and 10 assists.
Puts it into perspective.

First Spurs player to hit 20+ league goals since Klinsmann in 1995, many of them game-winners and spectacular long-distance shots, but it "isn't amazing"? Those 5 extra goals RVP scored make all the difference, I suppose? Let's remember that he also played 5 more games in the league than Bale did, scored 3 penalties to Bale's 0 and this for a team that scored 20 goals more than Bale's and walked their way to the title with an 11pt lead. If what Bale did isn't amazing, then neither is what RVP has done...

I'm not saying Bale has been dishing out incredible, complete performances with amazing consistency, because he hasn't, but neither have RVP or Suárez, probably the one closest to that is Mata, but not by much.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First Spurs player to hit 20+ league goals since Klinsmann in 1995, many of them game-winners and spectacular long-distance shots, but it "isn't amazing"? Those 5 extra goals RVP scored make all the difference, I suppose? Let's remember that he also played 5 more games in the league than Bale did, scored 3 penalties to Bale's 0 and this for a team that scored 20 goals more than Bale's and walked their way to the title with an 11pt lead. If what Bale did isn't amazing, then neither is what RVP has done...

I'm not saying Bale has been dishing out incredible, complete performances with amazing consistency, because he hasn't, but neither have RVP or Suárez, probably the one closest to that is Mata, but not by much.
I never said that Rvp's stats were amazing though. I expected him to get closer to 40, if not surpass it. They've both had very good seasons, but I don't think it's fair to say one has had a better season to the other, because neither hit a spectacular amount of goals that makes you say wow. Bale hitting 25 goals is good, but when a team plays everything through you and relied on you to score, it's nothing special getting that many. Rooney had 34 goals last year, van persie around 37 or so, same with Ibrahimovic, lewandowski, Falcao, cavani, but yet people are so quick to say one of the best in the world for bale because of 25 goals. You can say "yeah but he did it while playing for spurs", but then you look at the likes of Michu or benteke, who scored a similar amount in vastly inferior teams.

Now I'm not saying bale isnt better then Michu or benteke of course, I think he's a fantastic player. But people are too quick to jump to the gun and say best in the league, and among the best in the world when he really isn't. Don't forget that his goals led spurs to 5th place, which means feck all to them. He scored many late goals, but van persie led united to the title, and bale couldn't even lead spurs ahead of one of the weakest arsenal teams in god knows how long, and makes the champions league.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
This isn't one of the weakest arsenal teams in god knows how long. We had 73 points, our defense was significantly better than yours and if Spurs have the highest 5th place tally, I'd guess we had the highest 4th place tally without looking it up.

Ludens the Red

This isn't one of the weakest arsenal teams in god knows how long. We had 73 points, our defense was significantly better than yours and if Spurs have the highest 5th place tally, I'd guess we had the highest 4th place tally without looking it up.
You what?

bosnian_red

Going by personnel. I'm not saying your shite, but would you say personnel wise you are better then when you had Van Persie? Or when you had Nasri, Fabregas and Van Persie? Or before then when you had Henry? Of course not. You've lost a key player every year and Wenger has gone a great job to get you into the champions league again, because it is debatable to say Arsenal have a stronger squad then Spurs. They've gone on a great run to end the season though, I think it was something like 26 out of potential 30 points in the last 10 games.
You've played well on the whole this year, but that doesn't make this Arsenal team stronger then the teams in the last 15 years. You were closer then ever to not making it into the champions league this season, which says it all.

Also Liverpool had 76 points in 07/08 in fourth place.

Skorenzy

I never said that Rvp's stats were amazing though. I expected him to get closer to 40, if not surpass it. They've both had very good seasons, but I don't think it's fair to say one has had a better season to the other, because neither hit a spectacular amount of goals that makes you say wow. Bale hitting 25 goals is good, but when a team plays everything through you and relied on you to score, it's nothing special getting that many. Rooney had 34 goals last year, van persie around 37 or so, same with Ibrahimovic, lewandowski, Falcao, cavani, but yet people are so quick to say one of the best in the world for bale because of 25 goals. You can say "yeah but he did it while playing for spurs", but then you look at the likes of Michu or benteke, who scored a similar amount in vastly inferior teams.

Now I'm not saying bale isnt better then Michu or benteke of course, I think he's a fantastic player. But people are too quick to jump to the gun and say best in the league, and among the best in the world when he really isn't. Don't forget that his goals led spurs to 5th place, which means feck all to them. He scored many late goals, but van persie led united to the title, and bale couldn't even lead spurs ahead of one of the weakest arsenal teams in god knows how long, and makes the champions league.
I agree for the most part with your first paragraph, still want to point out that amongst the PL they both have been the most outstanding attacking players together with Mata and Suárez. Also of all those forwards you name there, Bale is the only one who never plays the role of out-and-out striker (Rooney, Ibra and RVP can all play behind a striker as well, but they still spend a significant part of their season as the main striker), so the fact that he scores 5-10 goals less isn't exactly less impressive in that regard.

On another note, as a Belgian, I have to say I've been laughing my ass off at how well Benteke and Lukaku have been doing this season; I never imagined them even becoming starters, let alone score more than 10 league goals, they're really average IMO from my experience (I watched them at Genk and Anderlecht a couple of seasons ago, and nowadays for the NT). Lukaku still has enough potential, but I'd be surprised if they ever amount to anything on the continental and international stage. Hazard was less of a shock, the boy is hugely talented, but he's still a complete bottler for the NT.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Going by personnel. I'm not saying your shite, but would you say personnel wise you are better then when you had Van Persie? Or when you had Nasri, Fabregas and Van Persie? Or before then when you had Henry? Of course not. You've lost a key player every year and Wenger has gone a great job to get you into the champions league again, because it is debatable to say Arsenal have a stronger squad then Spurs. They've gone on a great run to end the season though, I think it was something like 26 out of potential 30 points in the last 10 games.
You've played well on the whole this year, but that doesn't make this Arsenal team stronger then the teams in the last 15 years. You were closer then ever to not making it into the champions league this season, which says it all.
Well we were one point from missing out last year too. This is our second highest point total in the last 5 years. We can make subjective judgments about personnel but the points totals are objective.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
My player of the season out of all the teams is Michael Carrick. Mr Consistency with a touch of class. Not the flashiest player or the "loudest" but absolutely up at the top for me. Bale is awesome but I would have Carrick over Bale.

bosnian_red

I agree for the most part with your first paragraph, still want to point out that amongst the PL they both have been the most outstanding attacking players together with Mata and Suárez. Also of all those forwards you name there, Bale is the only one who never plays the role of out-and-out striker (Rooney, Ibra and RVP can all play behind a striker as well, but they still spend a significant part of their season as the main striker), so the fact that he scores 5-10 goals less isn't exactly less impressive in that regard.

On another note, as a Belgian, I have to say I've been laughing my ass off at how well Benteke and Lukaku have been doing this season; I never imagined them even becoming starters, let alone score more than 10 league goals, they're really average IMO from my experience (I watched them at Genk and Anderlecht a couple of seasons ago, and nowadays for the NT). Lukaku still has enough potential, but I'd be surprised if they ever amount to anything on the continental and international stage. Hazard was less of a shock, the boy is hugely talented, but he's still a complete bottler for the NT.
I agree that the others are more out and out strikers, but Rooney isn't really anymore. He plays maybe 2 or 3 games a season these days as the leading striker, he's more of the main creator for us in the hole. The difference between him and Bale is that Bale is their main goalscorer while playing in the hole, while Rooney is there to provide for the others really.

Yeah I hadn't heard of Benteke before this season but he's looked like he was made for the premier league really. Strong and quick, and decent on the ball as well as being a good finisher. Still young too. Lukaku I had heard of since he was 16 or 17 because my brother knew his girlfriend at the time and he told me about him, and because of football manager of course. Lukaku looks very promising for the future though. He's not a special talent really on the ball but he reminds me a lot of Drogba. Big, strong, quick and has very good hold up play, and a good finisher. Knows how to bully the weaker defenders as well.
Surprising to hear that Hazards a bottler. He's a great player, with huge potential but I've never really followed any of belgiums matches so I can't comment on how he does there. Think there's a lot more to come from all of them next season.

Brightonian

Most of your argument that he's definitely above RVP (and Suarez, probably) seems to be all about his goals. You miss the fact that he often goes through spells of being quite poor for most of a match. The difference this season is that he's managed to keep producing the goals nonetheless.

RVP and Suarez, even when not scoring, are just brilliant almost every game. When RVP went through that ten match dry spell he still racked up loads of assists, was constantly and brilliantly involved in play, and continued to make two or three absolutely crucial defensive interventions every game (I'm starting to like this side of his game almost as much as his goalscoring!)

Bale is comfortably the best highlight reel player in the league, but for me he's still narrowly behind RVP and Suarez in terms of being the very best.

johnmufc

According to ESPN..

Bale: Goals - 21 Assists - 4
Walcott: Goals - 14 Assists - 10

(Premier League only)

This is why the Bale-hype irks me. Yes, he's a fantastic player who's clearly got that 'something' special and is getting better and better. And he's had an amazing second half to this season. But all this talk about him being the 3rd best player in the world etc is just hyperbolic nonsense atm. Could he get there? On this evidence then yes, he probably can. But talking about him being better already then the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, RVP, Falcao etc etc is just OTT in my opinion.
In the Premier League this season, Wayne Rooney has 12 goals and 10 assists in 22 starts, yet you are so quick to personally assault this player of the club you claim to support. This is a disgraceful season from Rooney according to you, yet you use a very similar season from Walcott (who has also started more games than Rooney), to apparently downplay Gareth Bale's achievements. Very strange. Selective ignorance of facts to suit your irrational hatred of a player who has been one of the most important players of Manchester United's history.

bosnian_red

Well we were one point from missing out last year too. This is our second highest point total in the last 5 years. We can make subjective judgments about personnel but the points totals are objective.
Points totals don't always say it all though. They're directly related to how other teams do around you, and team's generally gain more points if their main competitors also gain more points. Two seasons ago United won the title with 80 points, 9 points ahead of second place Chelsea on 71 points. We were comfortably ahead of second place that there were plenty of occasions where we dropped points because we weren't giving as motivated as for example last season. Last year United finished second with 89 points (same points total as this season), and they scored more and conceded less then United did this season. Would you say they were better on the whole? Our points total was equal and stats wise United was worse this season, but we did as much as we needed to to win the title.

Arsenal always do as much as they need to to get into the champions league. Arsenal finished with 83 points in 07/08, but you wouldn't say they were better then United were in 2010/11, when they only got 80. The league table might say the truth about how teams did over the season, but the points totals and goal stats don't say much more because it is very much related to how other teams are also doing.

Skorenzy

Personally I would have had one of Mata, Carrick or Cazorla as player of the season, but Bale and RVP are deserving as well. There's arguments to be made for each.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
As much as I love Carrick and RvP, couldn't help but to have Mata as my player of the year. How I'm longing to have a No. 10 as good as him in United shirt.

RK

Anyone see the Nev-Scholes interview? Can't remember exactly what he said, but Mata's was the first name he mentioned of quality footballers that he enjoys watching.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Id buy neymar over Bale at the prices quoted.

Bale is a flash in the pan.
Except this is not FM. You cant get anyone you want to play for United. Neymar has his heart set on going to Barca. We have to be realistic here and we do have more chances of signing Bale than we have of Neymar. You dont know how Neymar might behave in the future. All the Brazilians have bad attitudes as they grow bigger. They tend to cause problems. Bale is much better in that aspect. He might not want to leave England and might want to follow in the footsteps of his role model. And what exactly do you mean flash in the pan? Have you been watching Bale the past 3 years? He has been making great strides and improving his game dramatically each of the last four seasons.

Also Neymar scoring plenty of goals against shitty players in Brazil doesnt exactly equal what Bale has been doing for the past 3 years. He has proven himself against bigger and better opposition. Until Neymar comes to Europe and does the same thing, I am going to reserve my opinion on him. I know he is talented, I know he has all the tricks a footballer can do in his bag but he needs to prove that on the European stage. Internationals count for a certain extent but I think the rigors of club football are a harder stage to prove yourself.

Also another thing to note is that Neymar gets protection from the referees in Brazil. When he moves to Europe, he can forget about all that. He will get nada protection and with him doing tricks all the time, everyone will be out to hurt him just like they were with Ronaldo and now with Messi. It will be interesting to see how he copes with all this. Like I said he is an amazing talent but if he transfers that onto the European stage, then hats off to him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Once defenders stop ridiculously letting Bale cut inside he'll be half as effective.
And yet a couple of seasons ago, before he starting cutting in at all, he was known as a "proper" out and out winger who could swing in fantastic crosses with astonishing accuracy.

I think one of Bales strengths is that whilst his left foot is obviously his main weapon, he can go either way, cutting in or hugging the touch line. He has obviously worked a lot on adding more facets to his overall game, demonstrated by the fact that he now regularly drifts from the left or swaps position.

Bale on one side and Nani (if we keep him, fingers crossed) on the other and you have two players who both have that X factor that can win you games. Add Kagawa and RvP and that is a front four as good as any in the world, for me.

RedRover

Except this is not FM. You cant get anyone you want to play for United. Neymar has his heart set on going to Barca. We have to be realistic here and we do have more chances of signing Bale than we have of Neymar. You dont know how Neymar might behave in the future. All the Brazilians have bad attitudes as they grow bigger. They tend to cause problems. Bale is much better in that aspect. He might not want to leave England and might want to follow in the footsteps of his role model. And what exactly do you mean flash in the pan? Have you been watching Bale the past 3 years? He has been making great strides and improving his game dramatically each of the last four seasons.
Agree with this. Neymar is all hype until he comes to Europe and does something.

Bale is doing it now in a top league for an average club. The sky's the limit for him - he has pace, power, good movement and good feet. He could be one of the top 3 players in the world if he keeps on developing. He's unplayable on his day and has shown he has the bottle and temperament to be the player his club rely on.

It's personal opinion but I'd take Bale over a risky South American untested outside Brazil every day if the week.

NoLogo

Gareth Bale is 23 now so 60 mio. € wouldn't be a bad investment imo.

Real payed 94m € for Ronaldo and made most of the money back through shirt sales and increased ad revenue.

Of course there are wages to be payed but in the end I think such a deal for a player who is on the verge of becoming one of the games superstars isn't a bad deal at all.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
In the Premier League this season, Wayne Rooney has 12 goals and 10 assists in 22 starts, yet you are so quick to personally assault this player of the club you claim to support. This is a disgraceful season from Rooney according to you, yet you use a very similar season from Walcott (who has also started more games than Rooney), to apparently downplay Gareth Bale's achievements. Very strange. Selective ignorance of facts to suit your irrational hatred of a player who has been one of the most important players of Manchester United's history.
Quoting a quote that doesn't mention Rooney in a thread that's not about Rooney yet your entire post is defending the scouse pudding. Obsessed much? :lol::lol::lol:

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I am fan of Bale and want us to sign him though this season most of his productivity has come in a free role. A lot of his amazing goals have come in cutting from the right or when he started in the middle.

How will people prefer him deployed at United? Do we give him a free role or do we play him on the right? Will he be as useful playing as a narrow left attacking player in our side. Will he be good assuming the role of a provider or will it that take away his X-factor?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Gareth Bale is 23 now so 60 mio. € wouldn't be a bad investment imo.

Real payed 94m € for Ronaldo and made most of the money back through shirt sales and increased ad revenue.

Of course there are wages to be payed but in the end I think such a deal for a player who is on the verge of becoming one of the games superstars isn't a bad deal at all.
Real got 40% of Ronaldo's image rights to make that work. I don't think any other club in football is making these deals, but that's the main reason why Real can pay these insane transfer fees without a sugar daddy.

Donut

Anyone see the Nev-Scholes interview? Can't remember exactly what he said, but Mata's was the first name he mentioned of quality footballers that he enjoys watching.
Gary: Which are you favourite non-United footballers in the league?

Scholes: You know... them Matas and Hazards.

Something like that :p

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Been flashing for some three years now.
3 years? Surely it wasn't that long ago when this place was laughing at how shit he was. He was the biggest laughing stock on here for a while. Funny how everyone is now completely convinced he's the real deal and worth astronomical amounts.

We can surely find a potentially better winger for less than what Bale would cost. Thats more like the sort of business we do.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
3 years? Surely it wasn't that long ago when this place was laughing at how shit he was. He was the biggest laughing stock on here for a while. Funny how everyone is now completely convinced he's the real deal and worth astronomical amounts.

We can surely find a potentially better winger for less than what Bale would cost. Thats more like the sort of business we do.
What are you on about? 3 years ago was his performance against Inter in the Champions League. Thats the season when he came to prominence and last season he had a better season than that. And this year has been his best yet. Better left winger than Bale right now? Im not sure you can find many.Do you like not see what he has done at Tottenham? He is their main man and without him they are shit. That tells you something when he sort of single handedly wins games for them.

He was laughing stock? I dont recall people criticizing him for his performances. I think the fact that the likes of Capello mentioned him to be one of the best in the world during that 'Maicon' season was what made people laugh. He clearly wasnt that good back then but now he is not far off from being in the World XI team if someone was to pick one today.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I believe at times this season Mata was 'carrying' Chelsea at times. It just wasn't as visible due to the pundits, media and fans going crazy over the Bale goals which were all screamers. The fact is that most football fans are mostly interested in the remarkable goals rather than the neat and tidy footballers that quietly get through their business whilst racking up their own remarkable goal and assist record.

I think if you took the Mata out of Chelsea before this season, you wouldn't have seen Hazard and Oscar develop as well as they have.