Gareth Bale Transfer Speculation | Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominos

If what Sky are reporting is true, That Bale has told AVB that he wants to go to Madrid, how can they refuse the £85m offered.
There is no point in keeping a player that wants to move.
We hear this every summer, it's such bollocks.

Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Evra, Rooney... Was it pointless keeping them when they asked to leave?

Kinky Melinky

I agree the price is ridiciulous but for those criticizing the price tag, hypothetically, if we had the same financial capabilities of Madrid would anybody here complain about the fee as long as Bale were in a United shirt?

Well that's exactly it! Once someone like Bale was banging in goals and making assists nobody would give a flying feck. People going on about the price tag is silly. Football's sense of value in the market is always going to be all over the shop

Mainoldo

We hear this every summer, it's such bollocks.

Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Evra, Rooney... Was it pointless keeping them when they asked to leave?
They wasn't playing europa league neither did they have world record bids made for them.

Dominos

They wasn't playing europa league neither did they have world record bids made for them.
I was responding to the statement "there is no point in keeping a player that wants to move", what Europa League football has to do with this I've no idea.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't really understand your post, taken as a whole.

You start out by saying that if we "keep losing your best players it will pull you [us] back, inevitably". And then you end by saying about Bale "He's good but 2-3 very good player you could buy for that amount will take you further" .... which seems to be the opposite of what you said at the start.

Anyhow, as it happens I think we're in a win-win situation with Bale. If he stays another year, then fantastic, we'll have a front three of Bale, Soldado and Player X (possibly Chadli, maybe Lennon, maybe a new signing). Or if he's sold we'll have a bucket load of cash to hopefully sign, as you say "2-3 very good player" .... to "take you [us] further."
What I mean is that at some point you have to be able to hold on to your best players to progress, simple as that.

KanieKaned

If what Sky are reporting is true, That Bale has told AVB that he wants to go to Madrid, how can they refuse the £85m offered.
There is no point in keeping a player that wants to move.
Well when there's apparently a shit offer on the table and the player wants to move like we have with our Wayne sometimes you stand strong. In this case spurs would be fecking bonkers not to take it. £85mil for Bale, in the words of Ian Holloway "ole worlds gone maaaaaaaaaaad".

acnumber9

This is precisely the point: Spurs have often been able to identify and sign talented players who then blossom further when they join us. There's no reason to suppose that this process is suddenly going to stop if Bale is sold.
Are you not be one always going on about clean slates and how the fact Utd have won titles in the past doesn't mean they are any more likely than Spurs to win in the future?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Are you not be one always going on about clean slates and how the fact Utd have won titles in the past doesn't mean they are any more likely than Spurs to win in the future?
So give me your reason(s) why Spurs, IF Bale is sold, are going to be unable to sign quality players during the remainder of this transfer window.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
That's what I thought, but then Spain's government is sort of close to bankruptcy so I'm not really sure how they can afford to guarantee Real's debts.
To be fair the entire debts of Real Madrid will be irrelevant compared to national debt. It'd be like owing an extra 10p on top of a couple of grand.

acnumber9

So give me your reason(s) why Spurs, IF Bale is sold, are going to be unable to sign quality players during the remainder of this transfer window.
I never said they wouldn't. I'm just wondering why the past doesn't matter when it comes to predicting the future in one case but not in another. Enlighten me.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Levy has Perez by the balls. He can demand £100m and reasonably expect to get it.

What exactly would Real's response be? "Bale is worth £85m but he's not worth £100."? I don't think so. Real are hungry to make this deal happen and a demand of an extra £15m isn't going to stop this deal from happening, with or without Bale's expression of intent to leave for the greener pastures of the Bernabeau.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's not guaranteed, but given the fact that everyone in the world knows you'll have at least £85m to play with, how willing will Levy be to pay over the odds? Not to mention that one of the draws of signing for Spurs (a top quality player) will be leaving (if Bale goes). I remember Paulinho saying how he was looking forward to playing with Bale and was told he would definitely stay on.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
You don't win anything and aren't in the UCL consistently, nor do you offer ridiculous wages.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I never said they wouldn't. I'm just wondering why the past doesn't matter when it comes to predicting the future in one case but not in another. Enlighten me.
I've no need to enlighten you ... because I've not made any predictions yet concerning league finishes this coming season. You seem to have fallen prey to a common occurrence, namely believing the words that I have not spoken but which others have put in my mouth.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Watching Real play their usual classless game with Tottenham just makes me loathe them even more. I'm sure Utd have tapped players up in the past and in a couple of instances (Hargreaves the one that springs to mind) we have certainly been impolite. The difference is that this is standard for Real; they insult, belittle, unsettle, shamelessly use their players to tap-up and generally just sign Faustian pacts to get the latest ready-made star.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
But they have Daniel fecking Levy, the baddest motherfecker on planet earth.
Danny will just go out guns full blazing and get whoever he wants.

After he's laughed endlessly at an £85m bid for Bale.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Watching Real play their usual classless game with Tottenham just makes me loathe them even more. I'm sure Utd have tapped players up in the past and in a couple of instances (Hargreaves the one that springs to mind) we have certainly been impolite. The difference is that this is standard for Real; they insult, belittle, unsettle, shamelessly use their players to tap-up and generally just sign Faustian pacts to get the latest ready-made star.
We've tapped up plenty of players in the past and have pissed off a fair few clubs doing so, so I'm not gonna pretend we're some golden standard of how a club should behave. Real really are on a different level. The annoying thing is it almost always works for them. How many of their targets have they missed out on in recent years? It's fair enough to criticise them but I think a lot of our fans would happily put up with that kind of conduct if we were constantly getting results in the transfer market.

Ash_G

Tbf although they've obviously done some classless stuff they have also made a ridiculously good offer for him, with Modric they paid a good price for him as well. Barcelona were a lot worse for me with Fabregas, especially as they only paid something like £25m with add ons.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's not guaranteed, but given the fact that everyone in the world knows you'll have at least £85m to play with, how willing will Levy be to pay over the odds? Not to mention that one of the draws of signing for Spurs (a top quality player) will be leaving (if Bale goes). I remember Paulinho saying how he was looking forward to playing with Bale and was told he would definitely stay on.
Well, IF Bale is sold I'd imagine we'd make signings in advance of any Bale deal becoming official ... which would not be rocket science exactly. Moreover, the same doom-mongering has been trotted out before when we sold a star player, but as I've already pointed out that didn't stop us from going on to sign a raft of very good players.

I agree that nothing is guaranteed, but the track record of Spurs in the transfer market is generally good. Despite what the naysayers will wishfully think or say, we remain an attractive club for many quality players for a whole variety of reasons.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You don't win anything and aren't in the UCL consistently, nor do you offer ridiculous wages.
So why hasn't that stopped the players I've already listed signing for us in recent times? We're in the Prem, in London, are well-known, ambitious, well-run, with a world-class training complex, a well-respected manager and plenty of class players for newcomers to want to play with.

The list of high quality players who've featured at Spurs over the years is extensive ... yet somehow all this is mysteriously going to suddenly dry up if Bale is sold? I don't buy it, not even remotely.

Cina

So why hasn't that stopped the players I've already listed signing for us in recent times? We're in the Prem, in London, are well-known, ambitious, well-run, with a world-class training complex, a well-respected manager and plenty of class players for newcomers to want to play with.

The list of high quality players who've featured at Spurs over the years is extensive ... yet somehow all this is mysteriously going to suddenly dry up if Bale is sold? I don't buy it, not even remotely.
Well at least the trophies can't dry up.

Brophs

The One and Only
When Karl Pilkington was doing Monkey News, didn't a few of the monkeys end up in Spain? There's obviously an attraction there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Out of interest, for all the muppets who said we should have waded straight into the Fabregas situation with a huge bid straight away, what do you think about this Real Madrid 85m bid?

Hasn't really helped them has it, they'll have to pay 100m probably.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I like ribbing on other clubs like the next person, but you do know that Bale rejected United to join Tottenham.
"Man United were interested in me but I wanted to play first-team football,' Bale said, in an interview with Match of the Day magazine.

Describing how the brilliant Tottenham forward became the one that got away, Ferguson said: ‘We were disappointed in Southampton at the time, because we were first there, but they never came back to us. We were disappointed in that

Contrasting stories, but i get the feeling you don't really know what you're talking about because it doesn't sound like Bale ever got an opportunity to formally reject United.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Out of interest, for all the muppets who said we should have waded straight into the Fabregas situation with a huge bid straight away, what do you think about this Real Madrid 85m bid?

Hasn't really helped them has it, they'll have to pay 100m probably.
Indeed. However, it has blown any rivals out of the water from the outset and removed that complication.

I believe it was a take it or leave it offer. To leave it would be madness.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Indeed. However, it has blown any rivals out of the water from the outset and removed that complication.

I believe it was a take it or leave it offer. To leave it would be madness.

I reckon we should shove in a £90m bid if Spurs decide they're going to accept. Not to sign him. Just to piss of Madrid so that they then need to up it to £95m.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I'm surprised you're that optimistic with Moyes at the helm .... but hey, it's good to stay positive.
Given the choice of Moyes or AVB, there is no competition. AVB would never have been considered for the job.

You want to be a WUM like Storey, but fail badly.

SuecoGitano

Madrid are not even close to being saints, but could you in this case tell me what the club has done that is so terrible? And please, no tabloid gossip, facts...

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.