Gareth Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalcolmTucker

Some strange opinions here. Bale would still be in the top 5-10 players in the league if he were to return

Lack of ambition? He’s clearly stated he tried to leave a couple of times and madrid went back on their word.
You're overrating him a little.

Also, saying he wanted to leave as proof that he doesn't lack ambition falls flat when he was leaving to play in China. That highlights a lack of ambition, beyond his bank balance

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Kroos mentioned it before that the club had the chance to let him go last summer which Bale had agreement with the other club but they didn’t do it and forced Bale to stay due to their players being injured. As soon as the other players came back from injuries, Zidane had no interest in him anymore. Unprofessional treatment to the player as well imo.
I don't agree with that. Bale signed a contract. He get a bonus when he plays and he gets a bonus when he doesn't play that goes on top of his normal wages. When he signed for Real he chose to sign a 6-year deal. As long as he's getting paid he's supposed to show up and work.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't agree with that. Bale signed a contract. He get a bonus when he plays and he gets a bonus when he doesn't play that goes on top of his normal wages. When he signed for Real he chose to sign a 6-year deal. As long as he's getting paid he's supposed to show up and work.
At least he's being nice to reject the bonus if he doesn't play by refuse to be in the CL bench.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You're overrating him a little.

Also, saying he wanted to leave as proof that he doesn't lack ambition falls flat when he was leaving to play in China. That highlights a lack of ambition, beyond his bank balance
And I think you’re underrating him a bit

Snow

At least he's being nice to reject the bonus if he doesn't play by refuse to be in the CL bench.
He gets fined is what he gets but he also gets the bonus. Paid for appearing, paid less by not appearing. Should be incentive enough to try and play but I guess when you're paid this much it doesn't matter.

His position sucks but if he didn't know what kind of environment he was about to join when he signed then that should be a lesson to him. You're not babied at Real Madrid.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He gets fined is what he gets but he also gets the bonus. Paid for appearing, paid less by not appearing. Should be incentive enough to try and play but I guess when you're paid this much it doesn't matter.

His position sucks but if he didn't know what kind of environment he was about to join when he signed then that should be a lesson to him. You're not babied at Real Madrid.
The bonus only active if he's on the bench and not being used. It's called unused sub bonus. There is no bonus for not appearing. Zidane already told him he won't be involved even on the bench.

He does show up doesn’t he? Not travelling for an away game when told he’s not playing is fair enough.

If he was asked to play every week, I’m sure he would do.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why?

Thanks feck he hasn’t - we’d be shit (or even shitter) without him.
Friendlies, particularly when unfit. Nobody faults him for wanting to play official games

Super Hans

It's nothing to do with his ego - you are missing the point entirely. Would you willingly change jobs at a much reduced wage if you didn't have to?
Depends how many tens of millions I had already accrued and how much I enjoyed actually working.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Always a bit nervous when this thread gets bumped.

Bale would have been near the top of the "Old" Woodward dream list, before we started to actually try and develop a team that can grow.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's nothing to do with his ego - you are missing the point entirely. Would you willingly change jobs at a much reduced wage if you didn't have to?
It's hard to apply real world like for like situations, when he could stop tomorrow and have enough for 4-5 lifetimes.

For most of us, if we went massively down in wage we'd have big problems.

Snow

He does show up doesn’t he? Not travelling for an away game when told he’s not playing is fair enough.

If he was asked to play every week, I’m sure he would do.
He has refused to play when he was on the bench. That's about as low as you can go as a professional.

Red4Life_#7

He has no ambition. He's happy to sit doing nothing collecting a pay packet at Madrid. He's exactly the mentality of player we need to avoid at all costs.
Hmmm put yourself in his shoes, he was one of the top players in the team... remember what he did to Barcelona? I felt sorry for their defensive players, also in the Champions League... the goals... he won them the CL.
Then the fans treat him like shit and the club do nothing, then the manager openly tells the media he doesn't want him. The club showed him no respect or gratitude, of course he isn't motivated any more, he has no more ambition to play for Real Madrid, plus he has won everything there too. He is doing exactly what he should be doing, keeping his head down and collecting his paycheck.

Real Madrid fans are angry because his wages are crippling the club, especially with him not playing. The relationship is completely finished, Real shold let him go to China or out on loan to Bayern, United, Juve etc.
Also they will have to pay at least 50% of his wages and can't demand a high fee at the end of it too.

Loan with an option, rather than outright purchase. Also, during the loan we should be paying a maximum of 1/3rd of his wages. Same as Inter did with us over Alexis.
Exactly.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To be fair it's hard to imagine him being disrespectful to any other club. At Madrid he's been made a scapegoat and unlike most of other players, he probably didn't even have an emotional connection to the club in the first place. Maybe he just stops giving a feck about Madrid.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd have Bale over Harry Kane as a change to our front line without it changing it too much. I wouldnt like us to invest in him so it disrupts our squad too much if it doesn't work out either. A loan to help Real Madrid a bit, Bale out a bit and to help us out a bit and we can see how things progresses from there on in.
Bale also craps on Sanchez's career who when you observe it wasn't much more than a decent player who upped his ability for 2-3 seasons at max for Arsenal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So why Zidane doesn't fancy him (as a player) now? Zidane doesn't struck me as a toxic manager. And he's been playing Bale for years also on big games.

And why do people think Ole would do better than Zidane on managing Bale?

Last edited:

iHicksy

He has refused to play when he was on the bench. That's about as low as you can go as a professional.
That's not really true though is it. The whole story is that he went and had a conversation with Zidane and said that he preferred not to be included in the traveling squad as he knew he wouldn't play because he was ostracized from the squad. Zidane clearly agreed with him and allowed him not to travel. If Madrid could get Bale on any technicality for fining him for breach of contract i'm sure they would jump at the chance. The fact is, Zidane refuses to play him for whatever reason and Gareth simply asked if he could be left out since he wouldn't feature (I'm sure Covid played a part in this thought process too). Zidane agreed. The whole thing has been blown out of all proportion.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So why Zidane doesn't fancy him (as a player) now? Zidane doesn't struck me as a toxic manager. And he's been playing Bale for years also on big games.

Perhaps it's not Bale that is the problem?

youmeletsfly

People thinking he'd come here and still be one of the top players in the league are batshit crazy.
The guy can't stay fit for 5 games in a row, is 31, barely played 170 la liga matches in 7 seasons and you lot think he'd still be a top player here.
He'll do the same shit, play 5 games and then collect his money.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
A dude that weighs that much and runs that fast is gonna be injured a lot in his thirties. Or else he's not gonna run that fast.
I'd take him on a pay per play though.

Member 101269

Bale is very much the problem, in much the same way Alexis was a problem for United
Completely different; Alexis was shocking from day one and did nothing.. Can you say that about Bale?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
A dude that weighs that much and runs that fast is gonna be injured a lot in his thirties. Or else he's not gonna run that fast.
I'd take him on a pay per play though.
Yeah, this post reminded me of ronaldo and how at different stages of his career he has adjusted his weight

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Bale is very much the problem, in much the same way Alexis was a problem for United
You’ll be more informed than I am as I haven’t followed the situation at all, how is Bale is the problem? The little that I’ve heard is that Zidane said Bale wasn’t in his plans and that it would be best if he leaves. Bale found a move that would significantly up his wages, Madrid then cancelled his transfer at the last moment to go on to not play Bale.

This has come from people who are unabashedly pro Bale so I’m sure it could have been twisted to suit their narrative.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Zidane is bald, Bale has a lot of hair now, too much hair

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Completely different; Alexis was shocking from day one and did nothing.. Can you say that about Bale?
Overpaid star whose performances don't deserve star treatment but nevertheless demands it(i.e. start every game) and is treated as such by media
You’ll be more informed than I am as I haven’t followed the situation at all, how is Bale is the problem? The little that I’ve heard is that Zidane said Bale wasn’t in his plans and that it would be best if he leaves. Bale found a move that would significantly up his wages, Madrid then cancelled his transfer at the last moment to go on to not play Bale.

This has come from people who are unabashedly pro Bale so I’m sure it could have been twisted to suit their narrative.
See above. I was strictly answering @Isotope about why Zidane doesn't fancy Bale. The situation you're talking about was/is very much Florentino Perez's fault

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Overpaid star whose performances don't deserve star treatment but nevertheless demands it(i.e. start every game) and is treated as such by media

See above. I was strictly answering @Isotope about why Zidane doesn't fancy Bale. The situation you're talking about was/is very much Florentino Perez's fault
Ah it makes sense that side of things would have Perez’s fingerprints all over it.
Can’t really argue about the performance levels either, they’ve been dropping for a fair while, as much as I love the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.