Garnacho: What is his potential?

georgipep

He needs to work on his defensive and off the ball game, and he will be a star. And he has Antony to learn from on those.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Obviously he'll be inconsistent and frustrating at times, and we can't be sure how he'll develop. But watching kids like this is what makes football so exciting, we've been really fortunate at United over the years to see several young players break through with this combination of complete fearlessness and skills to match, and I think we're in for some very good times in the next few years watching Garnacho grow into a star.

simplyared

I can't praise this player enough.
He's better than Greenwood imo.
He's got everything you can ask of a leftwinger.
His ball control and first touch is outstanding.
Great turn of pace and can leave his marker for dead (unlike the show pony on the other side).
Can use both feet (also unlike him on the other side)
Lets just say an exceptionally talented young footballer.
I reckon he can reach Giggs level definately.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't care what Butt of P.Nev said, but Januzaj never had the athleticism and explosivity to his game that warranted all that excitement/over the top hype (comparison to Ronaldo's first season, 40m mooted transfer to Real etc). I was in the newbie at the time and pushed back against that. If he hadn't let the fame got to his head, maybe he could have a career like a Mata or Eriksen, top player who never quite reached world class level due to physical limits.

Garnacho on the other hand, you can clearly see that what holds him back is only time and experience. He's utterly fearless, technically superb both with his ball carrying and striking, fast as feck and has all the tricks in his repertoire to go inside or outside his marker. Once he grows into his full body and learns how to operate out of possession better, he will be a nightmare for fullbacks up and down the league.

If he who shall not be named wasn't such a massive dickwad, we could've had a frontline of youth team/academy product that can rival any in the world. Alas, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Yeah, all very good points - albeit i think Mata/Eriksen at their best was nothing to be scoffed at and debatably as close to world class as you could get, if not world class themselves. I think, as mentioned, Januzaj might have had a better career developing into a 10 or so, as he lacked the explosiveness but had an excellent eye for a pass.

Anyway, admittedly i really liked Januzaj and hoped he made it here :(

lex talionis

At the same age, 18 and 8 months I believe, Garnacho > Ronaldo.

It’s really hard to see Garnacho, or anyone else really, reaching the height Ronaldo reached at his peak or even at the age of 21, but this Garnacho today is just better than the Ronaldo at this age.

Dr. Mowinckel

At the same age, 18 and 8 months I believe, Garnacho > Ronaldo.

It’s really hard to see Garnacho, or anyone else really, reaching the height Ronaldo reached at his peak or even at the age of 21, but this Garnacho today is just better than the Ronaldo at this age.
Garnacho has better finishing than Ronaldo at 18, but thats about it. Ronaldo (and Rooney for that matter) were a different class to Garnacho - as good as he is.

glasgow 21

Great turn of pace and can leave his marker for dead (unlike the show pony on the other side).
I reckon he can rich Giggs level definately.
Everything is just wrong with this. Supporting and using media terms to discredit our player Anthony isn't right at all. It is not an either/ or , ffs, why bring Antony into it. The guy who help us defeat Barcelona.

TsuWave

Argentina not taking him to the World Cup and locking him down will be a funny decision if he turns around and plays for Spain

lex talionis

Garnacho has better finishing than Ronaldo at 18, but thats about it. Ronaldo (and Rooney for that matter) were a different class to Garnacho - as good as he is.
Ronaldo was more exciting to watch -- the multiple stepovers were a revelation -- but his end product at 18 years and 8 months was nowhere near the end product of Garnacho.

I'm trying to be careful to refer to the age -- 18y/8m -- as there's no doubt that at 20 and then 21 Ronaldo was astonishing and there's no way we can expect Garnacho to reach that level, but as Garnacho stands right now at the place where Ronaldo stood at the same, and I'm sure most of us here remember CR then at that age like it was yesterday, Garnacho is simply the better footballer.

As for Rooney at that same age, Rooney > Garnacho without question.

Pablo76

I reckon he can reach Giggs level definately.
Doesn’t even rhyme.

The Dane

I will wait a season more before I make any judgement. He definitely has potential but whether he reach for instance Giggs level, has probably more to do with him having the right mindset than his technical skills

GMoore23

Greenwood was a much better player. Garnacho will go on to be a great player though.
Garnacho is a much better player than Greenwood at the same age.
Greenwood was an unbelievable finisher but goals aside, he had very little influence on the game over 90mins. At times you'd even forget he was on the pitch.

I'd bet full backs would much rather play against Greenwood as Garnacho must be a nightmare.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Greenwood was an unbelievable finisher but goals aside, he had very little influence on the game over 90mins. At times you'd even forget he was on the pitch.

I'd bet full backs would much rather play against Greenwood as Garnacho must be a nightmare.
Greenwood was a striker, just because he played a lot of games out wide doesn't make him a winger, you're not comparing like for like, we'll probably never know who would have turned out the best

dubplate warrior

Greenwood had far more quality and composure to his game. As a striker under the right manager, he would of become one of the best players in the world. I think Garnacho will become a great player but he looks much more raw than Mason ever did.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Argentina not taking him to the World Cup and locking him down will be a funny decision if he turns around and plays for Spain
And not taking him has proved to be the right decision, they won the WC so they had the right players there

Remember the geese

Greenwood all day everyday.

ChaddyP

Ok, I think some of you have clearly forgot what a player Greenwood actually was for us. Garnacho is fantastic and I enjoy every moment of him... But Greenwood was a generational talent and way above just striking ability.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Ok, I think some of you have clearly forgot what a player Greenwood actually was for us. Garnacho is fantastic and I enjoy every moment of him... But Greenwood was a generational talent and way above just striking ability.
Let's put it this way, If Greenwood was playing for us we would be seriously looking at winning all 4 competitions - we'd be top of the PL IMO

TsuWave

And not taking him has proved to be the right decision, they won the WC so they had the right players there
The way you guys seemingly live life in such a binary scale is type of scary.

The guy that reportedly competed with Garnacho for a spot was Correa, who had like a 4 minute nothing appearance against Croatia. Those 4 minutes could have gone to locking Garnacho in as an Argentinian international and I very much doubt the outcome of the tournament hindered on Correa being there. I don't need to hear some butterfly effect type of argumentation either, but alas

Last edited:

van Persie

Garnacho is better than Greenwood ever was and I was fecking stoked about Greenwood. That's saying a lot though

Biggins

Garnacho is better than Greenwood ever was and I was fecking stoked about Greenwood. That's saying a lot though
He may be better than Greenwood but to say at this stage that Garnacho is better I think is a bit premature.

Greenwood as striker/RW and Garnacho as LW would be very tasty. Shame that it is unlikely to happen.

meamth

He may be better than Greenwood but to say at this stage that Garnacho is better I think is a bit premature.

Greenwood as striker/RW and Garnacho as LW would be very tasty. Shame that it is unlikely to happen.
Well let's wait for the manager's decision.

Bert_

Think recency bias is coming into play a bit here. Greenwood wasnt just applauded for his finishing. His all round game was great too. Had great vision and could play a decent pass. We relied on him a lot to create something. He was a full blown first teamer at the same age Garnacho is now.

That's doesn't mean garnacho wouldn't have ended up the better player longer term though (if the Greenwood shit hadn't gone down). Hard to tell when players are that young how good they will be. Everyone devolps at different rates.

So many come through that look like they are guaranteed to become world beaters but then just disappear due to various reasons. Attitude, injury, or just bring a cnut the main ones.

Hopefully garnacho keeps on this tragectory but keeps himself grounded in terms of attitude and how he is outside of football. Luckily we have Ten Hag around who seems to be doing a good job of that.

Red Rash

I'd say Garnacho is quite significantly below Rooney at the same age and also below Ronaldo and "He who shall not be named" at the same age.

The thing about Ronaldo in particular is that his development went crazy in his early 20s. We knew he was a special talent but it was impossible to know he would become as good as he became.

A lot of this was down to a crazy work ethic. Right now I don't have insider knowledge on how driven Garnacho is but if he is half as driven as Ronaldo he can become a top tier player. It really is down to how hard he works and how much he wants to be the best.

kthanksbye

I really want him to play for Spain, he's got the directness already, all he needs is to develop his off the ball game and his involvement during buildup.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
All charges have been dropped in light of new evidence (as stated by the CPS).

Her family are also supportive of her decision and of Greenwood.

You should be able to consider and accept that.

Remember when Greenwood and Foden were speaking to those girls in Iceland in 2020? If anyone was more desirous of leaving the relationship it was probably Greenwood and he was the one forced to stay and settle down.
You need help lad. That final sentence is Fcuking disgusting.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To get back on track. This Garnacho lad looks to have a great future and that will be down to how much he wants it.

NLunited

Great potential. Ronaldo vibes. Not many players have his ability to take on defenders like that.

Looks like a bit like a one trick pony, to become world class he needs to develop in other aspects of his game: crossing, passing, assisting.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
To get back on track. This Garnacho lad looks to have a great future and that will be down to how much he wants it.
Also helps that he now is in an environment that will help his development. Having Ten Hag as the manager and United back on the right track. Imagine if he came through when Mourinho was in charge.

Curious how he will develop. Given that he has no injury that might mess it all up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Also helps that he now is in an environment that will help his development. Having Ten Hag as the manager and United back on the right track. Imagine if he came through when Mourinho was in charge.

Curious how he will develop. Given that he has no injury that might mess it all up.
Agree with this. A youngster needs a positive environment, with the right characters in it.

eire-red

It's incredible how many people either didn't notice that it was both, or wilfully ignored it - it just shows that there are so many people out there arguing with little understanding or from a bad faith perspective in trying to paint a certain narrative.

This was the direct quote of the CPS - notice the "AND" (plus that it was "key witnesses" plural):

"In this case, a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction".

The "leaked online evidence" was clearly not evidence enough and has perhaps been discredited by those who have seen the full picture.

As for the type of character he is in the dressing room, you and I can only speculate on that - but it's also worth considering that it wasn't that long ago that a not much younger Garnacho was being criticised by senior pros for supposedly lacking some professionalism and being overly arrogant, but in recent months they've said he's learned and knuckled down, so it shouldn't be as if it's impossible for Greenwood to have also developed from the event.
Garnacho not having the right mentality is something completely different to Greenwood though, isn't it? Look, I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make here is. Domestic violence is a thing that messes completely with victims, we shouldn't talk about it because it's disrespectful to those that have actually suffered. It often goes unpunished and is hard to prove.

Unless the pictures and audio leaked online are completely fabricated, Greenwood shouldn't play for the club again. Clearly United agree, or else he wouldn't have been suspended from the onset of the investigation.

I'd rather spend my time being excited about Garnacho and discussing it here, instead of speculating whether Greenwood beat his girlfriend and whatever else or not, and if he's learnt his lesson or not.

eire-red

Great potential. Ronaldo vibes. Not many players have his ability to take on defenders like that.

Looks like a bit like a one trick pony, to become world class he needs to develop in other aspects of his game: crossing, passing, assisting.
I think that's very harsh. He has shown signs of having that in his locker though. The assist for McTominay on the EFL vs Villa, the winner vs City.

He goes on the outside to the byline as much as he cuts in, as opposed to a one-trick pony like Grealish who's always looking to come inside. Has scored a couple of winners with his left too.

To be honest, I think he's shown enough that as an 18 year old he has a lot of strings to his bow.