Gary Neville - Pundit

Woodzy

‘Look at me when I’m talking to you’. What an unprofessional cnut.

Gary is right, and him calling out the Glazers a good thing for the traction it will get.

Marwood

well, to me, it seems like times have changed. the other way seems to be working for City and Chelsea, to name but two. Even Forest have signed more players than us...
Firstly look who their owners have been. You want that?

Secondly, financing our own transfers hasn't impacted our spend. We're right up there with the biggest spenders.

Believe me, if Gary Neville gets Salford to the higher levels he won't personally be paying for transfers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The problem is that they use every last bit that they don’t take from the club on transfers, and we spend quite a considerable amount as a result, because of the sheer amount of money the club generates. But then they ignore all the facilities as Neville said, the youth setup, the club, training grounds, when in reality this is a club that easily generates enough revenue to improve all those without the owners having to put money in, as long as we weren’t paying insane debt and dividends constantly, but we are!

Woodzy

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The debt not going down, non football people being appointed, terrible signings, all that I can understand Neville and everyone else being annoyed about.

But a club financing its own trsnsfers? That's how it's supposed to be.
The point is we should be able to finance a lot more, especially during our ‘value in the market phase’ where proper team investment and building for the future what have left us in a much stronger position post-Fergie which was ultimately something that played a large part in our downfall.

Glazers are taking money out of the club,and while have been spending money we are not spending like the most commercially successful club in the world (and as you mentioned, because of bad decisions when we have spent like that we have essentially thrown money away).

We need to invest more, and it won’t be forever, but while the club is in crisis we need to be acting like Chelsea are in this very same window. Can we afford it now? Probably not, but it’s definitely something we could have afforded to do over the years. Can Chelsea afford it? No, but it’s something the new owners have recognised is needed.

Mourinho not being backed in that third season is still criminal. That’s the closest we’ve come to building something in my opinion despite all of the managers flaws.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I kind of get what @Hansi Fick is saying but at the same time they need people to call them out. The fans do weekly and it has no impact. Having the pundits saying it how it is might just rip the iceberg.

Marwood

The point is we should be able to finance a lot more, especially during our ‘value in the market phase’ where proper team investment and building for the future what have left us in a much stronger position post-Fergie which was ultimately something that played a large part in our downfall.

Glazers are taking money out of the club,and while have been spending money we are not spending like the most commercially successful club in the world (and as you mentioned, because of bad decisions when we have spent like that we have essentially thrown money away).

We need to invest more, and it won’t be forever, but while the club is in crisis we need to be acting like Chelsea are in this very same window. Can we afford it now? Probably not, but it’s definitely something we could have afforded to do over the years. Can Chelsea afford it? No, but it’s something the new owners have recognised is needed.

Mourinho not being backed in that third season is still criminal. That’s the closest we’ve come to building something in my opinion despite all of the managers flaws.
It's not the point I'm discussing. I'm saying the Glazers not spending their own money isn't an issue. That's Gary whipping up more anger. Nor are the dividends. Irrelevant stuff.

In terms of "we should spend a lot more" I'm not sure that's the answer. Fans of all clubs could say that but when you support a club that's spent as much as anybody in the world, it becomes redundant.

Money spent is just fine. It's how its spent and we have to work out why that keeps going wrong.

Even this summer, with only spending a modest amount so far, most fans could have used that money better and really upgraded this team.

If Gary wants to examine the problem then do so. How can a club keep buying the wrong players year after year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's kinda mad that the authorities, during the Chelsea takeover, said "we can't let another Glazer situation happen" and yet wont seem to say a word actually about the Glazers.
Because they can't admit to such a huge blunder. Piling their debt onto the club is such a farce and I have no idea how this wasn't questioned and rejected.

MC89

Supports
Celtic

Gary is right, and him calling out the Glazers a good thing for the traction it will get.
Who’s unprofessional? Gary Neville for not looking at him or Jamie Redknapp for saying it?

Woodzy

Who’s unprofessional? Gary Neville for not looking at him or Jamie Redknapp for saying it?
Redknapp of course. And not just the fact he said it but the tone as well. He sounded like he’d just downed 5 pints of Stella.

crossy1686

career ending
It's kinda mad that the authorities, during the Chelsea takeover, said "we can't let another Glazer situation happen" and yet wont seem to say a word actually about the Glazers.
At what point, if any, do the authorities step in and make some rule up that effectively sells United from under the Glazers? United could realistically get relegated in the coming years and would the FA get involved to stop something like that happening? United in the Championship isn't good for the PL brand.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
He said aswell, the Glazers only spend what the club generates, is that not good business sense? I get the players not good but they have spent a fortune, so not really they’re fault if players aren’t good enough.

Why should they spend their own money?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Yep he got angry with Pogba and Shaw because he knew they had potential among world's best in their position. But not put the effort in training or maintain body conditions to be fit.

Your best paid players need to put the effort in training.That will inspire whole squad to put lot of efforts. I think your biggest mistake in past decade was your resigning of Pogba. He didn't justify the faith your faithfuls showed on him.

He wanted the best for the club. But ultimately lost his job for not able to get the performance from stars.

C'est Moi Cantona

Gary really says things with passion, and we need someone to keep banging the drum, but when you see the constant replays on SSN news, with the presenters just sniggerng after it's been played, like it's some sort of Christmas panto, and not something that needs to be taken seriously, it really winds me up.

If it's possible Gary needs to take his passion for the club to someone who will use it properly, not where he is asked to argue with baiting buffoons after every defeat, who don't care at all about United, and are just there to counter with the same old lines we've heard for years, all so SSN can fill their air time with us for a few days.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
At what point, if any, do the authorities step in and make some rule up that effectively sells United from under the Glazers? United could realistically get relegated in the coming years and would the FA get involved to stop something like that happening? United in the Championship isn't good for the PL brand.
Be incredible for the Championship brand!

Seriously though, The government wouldn't do anything if you got relegated. The only reason they were involved with Chelsea was Romans links to Putin.

crossy1686

career ending

The best part is, before the break he spoke about the players at length and how they weren't good enough, then he cuts Neville's point off to reiterate what he just spent 5 full minutes talking about. He's so insecure about his takes he has to talk over everyone else

always_hoping

Is it just me or has he become more annoying on the commentary?

Yesterday creaming himself over Brentford going on about how "outstanding" and "stunning" they were. In reality that was all about how rubbish United was who gift wrapped the 3 points to the home side within 30 minutes. Brentford will play better this season and be beaten.

SirAF

Ageist
Redknapp of course. And not just the fact he said it but the tone as well. He sounded like he’d just downed 5 pints of Stella.
That was really condescending, especially considering Neville’s achievements compared to his. Neville did well to keep his cool there.

crossy1686

career ending
Be incredible for the Championship brand!

Seriously though, The government wouldn't do anything if you got relegated. The only reason they were involved with Chelsea was Romans links to Putin.
It would!

Not the government, but the FA. They have this fit a proper persons test, when the feck does that come into effect? Just when they buy a club? La Liga would do everything within their power to stop Barcelona or Madrid going down, I wonder if the FA would be inclined to step in if a United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc were to be on the ropes also.

crossy1686

career ending

Yesterday creaming himself over Brentford going on about how "outstanding" and "stunning" they were. In reality that was all about how rubbish United was who gift wrapped the 3 points to the home side within 30 minutes. Brentford will play better this season and be beaten.
Doesn't he have to do that? Otherwise 80% of the population will say he's only talking about how shit United are and not how good Brentford were.

cyberman

He kept talking about being bullied etc and it just wasn’t happening. They weren’t bullying us in the air at all but he kept saying it over and over again

tomaldinho1

This is the moment when the Glazers have to realize (if they haven't done so already) that such modus operandi without using their own money is just not sustainable, especially when they own 2 sports franchises. Either they start investing themselves properly or they sell one of the franchises; they can no longer go on as they have done so far.
It’s more than sustainable, that’s the problem. There was some stat last season about how they have taken out of the club roughly what City’s owners have put into theirs, it’s mind boggling how it’s legal.

little.triangles

He said aswell, the Glazers only spend what the club generates, is that not good business sense? I get the players not good but they have spent a fortune, so not really they’re fault if players aren’t good enough.

Forget spending their own money, the Glazers have taken money OUT of the club, money that could have been invested in the stadium which is crumbling and on the training ground which is no longer the best in Manchester, nevermind the country. They have also not bothered to modernize the club, still have not appointed a football person as DoF, and are quite unbothered by the fact that we are the laughing stock of world football both in the transfer market and now increasingly on the pitch.

Posh Red

The money spent isn’t really the point he’s making though. The only reason he mentioned that is because ‘The Glazers have spent lots of money’ often gets trotted out as a defence for them, when a) they’ve not spent any of their own money (hence the ‘this myth needs to die’ comment) and b) the transfer outlay should not absolve them of anything whatsoever. If anything, the careless spending has just made things worse. If you’ve watched the full clip I’m sure you already know what the real issues are with the Glazer family, because Gary spelt it out clearly and repeated it several times.

crossy1686

career ending
That was really condescending, especially considering Neville’s achievements compared to his. Neville did well to keep his cool there.
After they'd finished and the presenter was promoting the next things on Sky, match of the day was advertised (Arsenal vs Leicester) and Redknapp spoke over her and said "United vs Brentford" as a joke, then the boxing was advertised after that and Neville said "Redknapp vs Neville!" and they both had a laugh about it, well Redknapp put his arm around Neville and started laughing a bit uncomfortably.

FireballXL5

After they'd finished and the presenter was promoting the next things on Sky, match of the day was advertised (Arsenal vs Leicester) and Redknapp spoke over her and said "United vs Brentford" as a joke, then the boxing was advertised after that and Neville said "Redknapp vs Neville!" and they both had a laugh about it, well Redknapp put his arm around Neville and started laughing a bit uncomfortably.
I wish he had taken a swing at the fecking ignorant wanker.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

No the point is they failed to acknowledge the mistakes for example giving Woodward lot of time. He made mistake after mistake. Yet they let him to throw money randomly without any actual improvement in team again and again.

They didn't put effort to appoint proper DOF. Ten hag appointment was good but he didn't give any helping hand. He wanted players to play his way. If proper DOF was appointed he will get some players from lower Spanish,French,german and Italian league who can be comfortable to play the ETH way.

And remove Deadwood from United even at loss. United squad was bloated. They need to make decision but again ultimately struck with indecision among who will get second chance and who have no future at all at club.

crossy1686

career ending
Yikes. £350m to £50m in the bank? Have we also discovered these levers?

It's no longer sustainable for the Glazers. They don't have the means to sort this out both on the pitch and in terms of infrastructure.

Dark times indeed.
They don't care what happens on the pitch, if anything the less we care about the footballing side of things the more they can just focus on what they think United really is, an advertising agency for commercial revenue.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Gary on commentary and Gary talking after a game are two different people, it's so strange.

After the game, in summary he said Manchester United as an organisation is unfit for purpose - which is absolutely correct. There is no other narrative that needs to be spoken about other than it's too late to put any of that right this season. We were duped into thinking that the process was starting when Murtough was put into his role, but it's just more jobs for the boys by the looks of it.

The fact that the football operation appears to now be weaker than Spurs and Arsenal is unforgivable. City you understand and despise because it's external money, Chelsea have been in and out of it since 2003 so you learn to live with that. Liverpool were always going to get back on top, it just took them longer than you'd expect. But Spurs and Arsenal could hide behind massive debts/costs due to stadiums and general infrastructure improvements. The Glazers have none of that. Despite what we've spent on players, the club's infrastructure is stuck in 2005.

I hope Neville continues to call it out despite the Glazers resistance to act.

duffer

Scout
It would!

Not the government, but the FA. They have this fit a proper persons test, when the feck does that come into effect? Just when they buy a club? La Liga would do everything within their power to stop Barcelona or Madrid going down, I wonder if the FA would be inclined to step in if a United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc were to be on the ropes also.
The FA or premier league shouldn't do a thing to stop anyone going down just because that team brings money to the league. Would be kinda outrageous if they did.

I have no idea if the FA or Premier league have it within their powers to get rid of the Glazers but we all know they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The only people who can get rid of the Glazers is you lot. Total boycott until they sell. It would take a couple of months and they'd sell up.

I know that's easy for me to say but don't expect help from the football authorities. It took a war for the uk government to be interested in Chelsea's takeover.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Yikes. £350m to £50m in the bank? Have we also discovered these levers?

It's no longer sustainable for the Glazers. They don't have the means to sort this out both on the pitch and in terms of infrastructure.

Dark times indeed.
What are these "levers" I keep seeing?

crossy1686

career ending
The FA or premier league shouldn't do a thing to stop anyone going down just because that team brings money to the league. Would be kinda outrageous if they did.

I have no idea if the FA or Premier league have it within their powers to get rid of the Glazers but we all know they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The only people who can get rid of the Glazers is you lot. Total boycott until they sell. It would take a couple of months and they'd sell up.

I know that's easy for me to say but don't expect help from the football authorities. It took a war for the uk government to be interested in Chelsea's takeover.
The fans are irrelevant. People can't and won't stay away from social media and media interactions which is what the sponsors want. If anything, United being shit is more exposure for sponsors and increase brand awareness

M Bison

Supports
York City
I know he can’t be because of his Salford ownership, but I’d have Neville on the board in a heartbeat. Talks absolute sense about the club, where the problems are and would challenge every aspect of the club.

duffer

Scout
The fans are irrelevant. People can't and won't stay away from social media and media interactions which is what the sponsors want. If anything, United being shit is more exposure for sponsors and increase brand awareness
Do what you did against Liverpool a while ago. Every game until they agree to sell. It would take a couple of months.

The fans are the absolute opposite of irrelevant if they choose to be.

crossy1686

career ending
Do what you did against Liverpool a while ago. Every game until they agree to sell. It would take a couple of months.

The fans are the absolute opposite of irrelevant if they choose to be.
I hear what you're saying but that kind of shit show won't help us sign players, might force sponsors to pull out which affects nothing but the funds United have to spend and might even make the sponsors happy to be pictured all over the internet and papers around the world.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm just saying it might only be the footballing side of things that suffer from that sort of activity