General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Remember people were saying exactly the same about it being over after the Manchester attack.
There were still debates and stuff after that. Now, there's a few days until the election. Campaigning is suspended for the major parties, though May used her speech to campaign. Conservative tactic is already to go door to door mentioning Corbyn and the IRA. They'll double down on that now as well as the papers.

Fully Fledged

Rudd using her speech to politicise the attack as well. They've obviously decided to change their views since Manchester
It needs to be highlighted once Labour start campaigning again. The fact that the Tories used this for political point scoring is deplorable.

DenisIrwin

Thanks for confirming everything I expected as consequences from zero hours contracts. Can you confirm my understanding that everybody who has a zero hours contract isn't considered unemployed in the statistics or am I wrong on this one? TIA
It depends on how much I earn in a month. I am unemployed and on Universal Credit but if my monthly earnings exceed about £70 per week plus rent I get a letter saying "Your circumstances have changed" and I am taken off UC. If my earnings fall again it restarts automatically. This all happens via data shared between my umbrella company, HMRC and DWP. I honestly have no idea who gets credited with the Employer's NI I have deducted. Sorry if that's unclear but it is what it is. So - I'm unemployed some of the time but not sure whether I'm officially employed or self-employed at others. I often have to scratch my head and ask what to put down when filling in forms. Most of the time I'm told to put unemployed.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There were still debates and stuff after that. Now, there's a few days until the election. Campaigning is suspended for the major parties, though May used her speech to campaign. Conservative tactic is already to go door to door mentioning Corbyn and the IRA. They'll double down on that now as well as the papers.
Yeah that speech was definitely campaign driven, the height of tastelessness.

I dunno, trying to predict anything in this election so far has been a fool's errand (e.g., me).

Smores

3 attacks in 3 months under a conservative government and somehow they will be seen as the people to trust with security.. wtf?
Its an interesting dynamic isn't it. Whilst i don't really feel the attacks are on the Tories, they have cut services and so the idea of them being more trusted is odd.

I guess its more the idea that right wing are tough while the left are soft.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Heathrow and Gatwick are seperated by 25 miles, albeit 25 miles with bodies of water, areas of outstanding natural beauty, hills, roads, towns and so on

25 miles in 15 minutes is 100 miles per hour, average. The fastest speed a London Underground train goes is the Metropolitan line at 60 miles per hour. However, the Eurotunnel top speed is over 180 miles per hour, and it could be argued that that was more directly comparable.

Maybe 15 minutes is unrealistic, but it's not in the realms of science fiction. The question is paying for it.
Yeah to be honest, I just was just having a laugh, particularly regarding the idea of this little shuttle thing but a fast-train/tram/shuttle thing is possible.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Labour jump doesn't surprise me, talking to a fair few people who I imagine either voted SNP or didn't vote at all in 2015 who are now backing Corbyn's Labour. They're pretty much all under 30, aye, but there's a reasonably sized bunch all the same, who'll make it enough to put a small dent in the SNP vote and slightly boost Labour's.

Dobba

Wow, what was the justification for it? Did he say "too insensitive"?
When he rings the bell he says something along the lines of "the subject is Manchester" and then it sounds like he says "sort of personal attack I wish to avoid" whilst walking over to the table, but it's muffled to say the very least. His complaints only seem to rise after Rudd writes something down and gets his attention.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Under a Labour government, we'd be reading:

Corbyn can't keep us safe
and...
ON HIS WATCH

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Corbyn has changed, rather than looking like your favourite geography teacher, he looks like your headmaster, certainly someone has got hold of his wardrobe.

Smores

I find myself scared and very angry at the world this morning. The direction this country is going is bad enough but with the tories at the helm spreading their nastiness feck knows how bad things may get.

It feels like a very pivotal election

Don't Kill Bill

It's an abuse of power and absolutely fecking shameful.

I'm sorry to say that it's the nail in the coffin for the Labour campaign.

The right wing press are going to go into full blown fear mongoring mode now and convince everyone her words are powerful and she is going to make us safer.

The war on terror is a complete failure. It's time to change tact completely.
You are better than this Pexbo get a hold of yourself. :)

"Tact often appears in place of tack. Presumably some people think of it as short for tactic, which is synonymous with tack in some contexts. This is understandable given how rare tack is, but tact is not conventionally short for tactic, and, fairly or not, phrases like change tact are generally considered wrong by people who pay attention to these things."

vidic blood & sand

The footage in question:
I've listened to this about 5 times now, and can't quite understand why he should have been censored, because selling arms to the Saudi's is hardly a sensitive issue. Trump was recently boasting about it.
Whether or not the Saudi's are funding IS seems pretty pointless in a political debate or whatever it was, but he should have been allowed to finish. I'm intrigued about where his line of reasoning was heading now.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yep this election is over. Fear is always a vote driver. I wouldnt be shocked if Cons get a majority.

Fully Fledged

"Tact often appears in place of tack. Presumably some people think of it as short for tactic, which is synonymous with tack in some contexts. This is understandable given how rare tack is, but tact is not conventionally short for tactic, and, fairly or not, phrases like change tact are generally considered wrong by people who pay attention to these things."
It comes from boats/ships changing tack to find the wind. It means change direction.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

I bet you're fun at parties.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Personally, i think the vast majority of voter sentiment has already been determined. It's now a matter of turnout, and whether the Labour surge is distributed in the right places.

Under a Labour government, we'd be reading:

Corbyn can't keep us safe
and...
ON HIS WATCH
Or...

PM refused to launch drone strike against British terrorists fighting for IS
Corbyn withdraws from western coalition battling Islamist extremists in Iraq and Syria
Labour leader said he wanted a stable Libya, but what has he done? Nothing.
Prime Minister's hesitancy allows al-Baghdadi to escape RAF strike

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Personally, i think the vast majority of voter sentiment has already been determined. It's now a matter of turnout, and whether the Labour surge is distributed in the right places.

Or...

PM refused to launch drone strike against British terrorists fighting for IS
Corbyn withdraws from western coalition battling Islamist extremists in Iraq and Syria
Labour leader said he wanted a stable Libya, but what has he done? Nothing.
Prime Minister's hesitancy allows al-Baghdadi to escape RAF strike
Couldn't agree more really.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The footage in question:
We need a fecking thread on this. It's a fecking disgrace.
Our government doesn't care about people dying. This bullshit war on terror is another avenue for making money.
Saudi Arabia is a rouge state but no one can talk about it because we sell them weapons.
What the feck has to happen before people open their eyes?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Couldn't agree more really.
Those who didn't trust him on national security and foreign policy, have likely felt that way for some time. And knowing the Tory rank and file, they're going to expect increased government support for the security services if the Conservatives win. Assuming that to be so, the question might better be one of where the money comes from. Is it to be borrowed, or possibly form part of an increase in taxes (VAT of 21% perhaps).

Last edited:

Berbaclass

A genuine question I've been thinking about today. Would things change should Corbyn become prime minister?

I know he's voted against foreign intervention and bombing etc. In the past.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Our government doesn't care about people dying. This bullshit war on terror is another avenue for making money.
Saudi Arabia is a rouge state but no one can talk about it because we sell them weapons.
They choose to balance their books by taking blood and oil money from the Saudi's while they convince the public that balancing the books by taxing corporations and super high earners is immoral and risky.

DenisIrwin

I'm hoping the UK will be a rouge state come Friday.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They choose to balance their books by taking blood and oil money from the Saudi's while they convince the public that balancing the books by taxing corporations and super high earners is immoral and risky.
Sick of it to be honest.
To these people, this crap is just a calculation, they want the status quo to remain.
They are making money out of a problem they create and pretend to everyone they are trying to solve it.
It's bullshit.

Berbaclass

Those he didn't trust him on national security and foreign policy, have likely felt that way for some time. And knowing the Tory rank and file, they're going to expect increased government support for the security services if the Conservatives win. Assuming that to be so, the question might better be one of where the money comes from. Is it to be borrowed, or possibly form part of an increase in taxes (VAT of 21% perhaps).
It sort of reminds me of a debate I was having with a colleague at work the other day regarding the print media.

My thinking was that the majority of people that get their news from newspapers and such will probably have already made up their minds one way or the other, reducing the significance of the spin that the Tory media put on things in an attempt to win votes.