General Election 2017 | Cabinet reshuffle: Hunt re-appointed Health Secretary for record third time

How do you intend to vote in the 2017 General Election if eligible?

• Conservatives

Votes: 80 14.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 322 58.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 57 10.3%
  • Green

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 29 5.3%
  • Independent

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Other (UUP, DUP, BNP, and anyone else I have forgotten)

Votes: 14 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The "dementia" tax was privatisation by stealth, that's how it will continue. Absolutley no doubt about it.
That wasn't what it was at all - you already have to pay for your social care if your assets are above £23,250.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So feck all's changed in the reshuffle then? Kin' pointless.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
That wasn't what it was at all - you already have to pay for your social care if your assets are above £23,250.
Poor tories.

Still, nice for the media to go ape-shit in the other direction for a change

rcoobc

May must be kicking herself that there wasn't multiple opportunities for her to speak directly to people and explain the policy better. If only!
If only she had a chance to significantly change the policy and "own" the changes as her listening to the people

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wasn't surprised that Osborne/May didn't particularly get on, but seeing the utter contempt he has for her has been quite revealing. You'd almost think he'd have preferred Corbyn to her!

rpitchfo

Theresa May and the "Naylor report! What you need to know!

I'm a bit torn on the naylor report. The King's fund (who I generally trust) seem quite positive about it. But I've got a few friends in nhs finance who are aghast at it. I work in general management in the NHS and there are buildings that that just wouldn't be worth the investment or time to get back upto scratch. Seems sensible to sell them offm

Ubik

Scotland was certainly close.
A lot of previously impregnable looking majorities have been whittled down a lot, too. Though they still topped 40% which is a lot in a genuine 3.5 party election.

rcoobc

A lot of previously impregnable looking majorities have been whittled down a lot, too. Though they still topped 40% which is a lot in a genuine 3.5 party election.
Who is the .5 :)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
And in Lanark & Hamilton East, the three parties had over 30% of the vote each (0.7% between them).
There were a ton of close battles across the country. My constituency had a few hundred votes in it and didn't even make the top five. Although interestingly as a result, it does feel like votes really matter up here at the moment.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm certain that May will resign. I find it hard to believe that she would have the nerve to walk back into westminster after a catastrophic friendly fire raid on her own back bench.
She'll also be a laughing stock with the EU crowd and foreign leaders.
The Conservative government have to surely try to emerge from this situation with as much credibility as they can muster, which would be impossible with May still as prime minister.
I agree but who replaces her? Rudd nearly lost her seat so it's hard to see how she can have the authority to lead the party and the country. Alistair Campbell made the point of Boris being an act which people see through now, and that the '£350m a week for the NHS' slogan will stick with him. Other than those two who is there? Gove, Hammond, Fallon aren't liked enough I don't think. Possibly David Davis?

It's amazing how far the Tories have crumbled since Theresa May called the election. Prior to that there were talks of the Tories being in Government until 2025-2030 with an unassailable lead over Labour. All that has disappeared now and they are the ones in chaos. Really has been an amazing 7 weeks in UK politics.

Ubik

Who is the .5 :)
Libs! Alas 7.8% of the vote when three others top 25% means they have to be a rung down, though they were efficient in seat terms.

Also just saw that the SNP didn't top 40% after all, only 36.9%.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Libs! Alas 7% of the vote when three others top 25% means they have to be a rung down, though they were efficient in seat terms.

Also just saw that the SNP didn't top 40% after all, only 36.9%.
A swing of around 4% or so from SNP to Tories and they'd have won up here.

Ubik

A swing of around 4% or so from SNP to Tories and they'd have won up here.
Labour as well, only just behind Tories on 27 in the end!

Gove's been made environment secretary.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Labour as well, only just behind Tories on 27 in the end!

Gove's been made environment secretary.
Fantastic appointment - Gove's extensive period of time spent as a lizard means he has a great understanding of environmental issues.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cnut as Health Sec again :lol: the absolute fecking state of the Tories
I'm absolutely convinced they're trying to lose the government so inevitable Brexit failure isn't pinned to the Tories for 20 years.

They couldn't have tried any harder to lose it during the campaign and somehow still failed (thanks only to the Press who wanted to keep them on).

Now she makes no changes and jumps into bed with the terrorists. Setting up for a loss in the next election she calls in a couple of months.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So many Remains in the reshuffle I'm half-expecting we'll end up staying in Europe...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I'm absolutely convinced they're trying to lose the government so inevitable Brexit failure isn't pinned to the Tories for 20 years.

They couldn't have tried any harder to lose it during the campaign and somehow still failed (thanks only to the Press who wanted to keep them on).

Now she makes no changes and jumps into bed with the terrorists. Setting up for a loss in the next election she calls in a couple of months.
She still hasn't passed the Queens speech. If your theory is right Corbyn could be pm at the end of the month.

Smores

It really was the worst policy sell of all time. The thing is they started saying difficult choices had to be made and thats why they'd done it then after that stuck they decided to say oh no actually its better than now.

What i never saw discussed is the cost implication

rcoobc

It really was the worst policy sell of all time. The thing is they started saying difficult choices had to be made and thats why they'd done it then after that stuck they decided to say oh no actually its better than now.

What i never saw discussed is the cost implication
The old system, the £23k doesnt include someone's house until you are are in a care home.

The new system, the house is included straight away. So it does make things worse for many people.

https://fullfact.org/health/what-dementia-tax/