Other Geoguessr

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can people who score close to perfect points explain themselves? How do you know these:

1. VANCOUVER

3. Bergen - Norway

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Can people who score close to perfect points explain themselves? How do you know these:

1. VANCOUVER

3. Bergen - Norway
For Bergen, I seen a Norway flag on the boat, but the town looked too small to be Oslo so I took a punt on Bergen cause I went to college with a girl from there.

hobbers

1. VANCOUVER

3. Bergen - Norway
Knew it was somewhere in Canada and we've already had a Toronto. And the port couldnt look much more scandi if it tried, but it's clearly not Oslo.

nimic

something nice
Scout

1. VANCOUVER

3. Bergen - Norway

The combination of "Royal" stuff and American-looking stuff made it Canada. Then I searched Ottawa for any of the big buildings there. It became clear that there were several Walmart Supercentres, and they were on the map at quite a low zoom. That made it easy to check each one for other similarities to the spot. After Ottawa I took a look at Toronto, and found many there. Then with 30s left I quickly panned over to Vancouver, just in case, and I found the specific spot (I think the Royal whatever-it-was gave it away).

For Bergen I immediately knew it was Norway, because that's what Norway looks like. Then it was simply a matter of figuring out where the ocean was in relation to the camera and matching it to the bigger Norwegian cities (though I was pretty sure it wasn't Oslo to begin with). I was pretty sure I found the exact spot, because of how everything lined up, and I ended up 2m away.

On the guess immediately after these two I got 2 points for thinking South Africa was Jamaica, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Minkaro

Here's a link to a random one that I haven't pre-screened. Better than nothing, maybe.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/LGxtVXAgImh3wTpp
15,099. Number five saved me, got 108 miles away.
Just had the vague knowledge that Ghana's flag has a star in the back of my mind

10,236. Absolutely useless, but then 3 and 4 were somehow good guesses. Fluking my way through!

Ok I just made an Urban World one for everyone. No Russia!

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/iH4V4VrDVlNfkNA1
1 - There's a sign saying "your first aider is" but then the thing is blank, so now I'm not going to be able to sleep. Anyway I got 10,251 points overall.

https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/iqpZf6PxiOQvKunF - Made another Urban World. 5 min time limit.

It's a good job I never did geography at school. Or maybe I should have, I dunno.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I just don’t see the point of cheating in a fun comp
TBF I'd say using clues in order to try and track down locations makes it more fun, otherwise you're just making random guesses most of the time. It's like a detective game vs just random clicking.

Obviously if there's a way to find the answer out without doing any kind of work then that's just flat out cheating and ruining it.

Sparky Rhiwabon

TBF I'd say using clues in order to try and track down locations makes it more fun, otherwise you're just making random guesses most of the time. It's like a detective game vs just random clicking.

Obviously if there's a way to find the answer out without doing any kind of work then that's just flat out cheating and ruining it.
Geo “guesser” - I’d say things like spotting the type of cars, flora, natural features, road markings or signs, language, architecure, etc is all part of the game in guessing. Zooming in on the name of a shop or phone number, etc and googling it to find the exact location - not so much.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Is this why you've been beating me so often?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Geo “guesser” - I’d say things like spotting the type of cars, flora, natural features, road markings or signs, language, architecure, etc is all part of the game in guessing. Zooming in on the name of a shop or phone number, etc and googling it to find the exact location - not so much.
Fair enough. I suppose the important way no matter how it's played is that everyone follows the same rules so that everyone can play equally.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Fair enough. I suppose the important way no matter how it's played is that everyone follows the same rules so that everyone can play equally.
Yeah that's the main thing really isn't it. If everyone is following the same rules then the game is fun no matter what.

I personally prefer the looking at the environment and not leaving the geoguessr tab, as otherwise everyone can look up stuff to get it bang on and unless it's in the wilderness we'll just have everyone getting max points.

BD

Didn't we set a rule that you can't leave the game tab? So if you see the name of the village, you can search for that village on the map by zooming in and moving around if you want, but you can't just go google exactly where that town is.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Didn't we set a rule that you can't leave the game tab? So if you see the name of the village, you can search for that village on the map by zooming in and moving around if you want, but you can't just go google exactly where that town is.
Yeah not sure everyone will have seen it though.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeah, that's how we play. You only interact with the GeoGuessr tab. I can see the fun in playing an "all tools" round sometimes, but everyone obviously "has" to follow the same rules. Ultimately people can play however they want, though. Just don't pass yourself off as some kind of genius like Olly does if you use other tools. He is a genius, but most people aren't.

BD

AGA: Always Guess Ghana