Other Geoguessr

massi83

I was gonna post a new one, but it gave me view that has been already used in these, and of course on the 5th round. Second time it has happened. Now we know why @Olly Gunnar Solskjær does so well! I am surprised their photo bank isn't bigger.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
ffs thought it was between Manchester and Ireland and clicked Ireland :lol:

Also mixed up Senegal and Ghana flag, otherwise would do very well.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I thought I had gotten the first one wrong, and I was baffled. Until I realized it was not the right answer it zoomed out for, just someone else's wrong answer.

I'm also pretty upset about the Belgium guess. I found the street in Brussels, and it matched. Except it wasn't in Brussels. Luckily Belgium is so tiny.

Three very good guesses, two shit guesses. As is tradition. Probably won't stay in #1 too long, but I'll take it for now.

massi83

I thought I had gotten the first one wrong, and I was baffled. Until I realized it was not the right answer it zoomed out for, just someone else's wrong answer.

I'm also pretty upset about the Belgium guess. I found the street in Brussels, and it matched. Except it wasn't in Brussels. Luckily Belgium is so tiny.

Three very good guesses, two shit guesses. As is tradition. Probably won't stay in #1 too long, but I'll take it for now.
Charleroi read on the street sign

nimic

something nice
Scout
Charleroi read on the street sign
Really?! I had a very good look for any recognizable names, and I couldn't find any, except reading the Rue la Angleterre or whatever. That's how I ended up in Brussels, since the first ones I checked didn't have street names starting with Rue, but Brussels did. When I found the actual Rue la Angleterre there as well, I was pretty damn confident.

massi83

Really?! I had a very good look for any recognizable names, and I couldn't find any, except reading the Rue la Angleterre or whatever. That's how I ended up in Brussels, since the first ones I checked didn't have street names starting with Rue, but Brussels did. When I found the actual Rue la Angleterre there as well, I was pretty damn confident.
It was a bit blurry but still visible, it was on the same sign as the Rue la Angleterre, I think visible on 2 signs even.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It was a bit blurry but still visible, it was on the same sign as the Rue la Angleterre, I think visible on 2 signs even.
You're really rubbing it in, aren't you? :mad:

I'm actually a bit annoyed by Canada as well, I just wasn't brave enough to put it up north where I originally had it. Statistically very few guesses will be up there. I have the same problem with Russia sometimes. For the Russia guess I had actually convinced myself that the Russian alphabet didn't have a specific letter I found a few times, but which I did find in place names in Bulgaria. Imagine my surprise when it was... Russia.

massi83

You're really rubbing it in, aren't you? :mad:

I'm actually a bit annoyed by Canada as well, I just wasn't brave enough to put it up north where I originally had it. Statistically very few guesses will be up there. I have the same problem with Russia sometimes. For the Russia guess I had actually convinced myself that the Russian alphabet didn't have a specific letter I found a few times, but which I did find in place names in Bulgaria. Imagine my surprise when it was... Russia.
:lol:

Yeah, I am a bit fed up with Russian ones. I even know a little bit of the alphabets but seems like I never have any clue anyway. And it is never Moscow or St Petersburg or even Kazan. And US, Canada and African ones can be annoying as well. Their photo bank is way too small. But good enough for couple of days.

massi83

Oh seems like it is just this map, that doesn't have enough photos. Should we try some else?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Oh seems like it is just this map, that doesn't have enough photos. Should we try some else?
A Diverse World is good, but that is designed for moving. Honestly, Urban World is also designed for moving, it's just that it's much easier to get a clue from where you are than A Diverse World is likely to give you.

There are plenty of other maps to try too.

https://www.geoguessr.com/maps/5bbb74ce2c01735208560cf6 - World Cities
https://www.geoguessr.com/maps/5c6085d43d925ba8140878a6 - A Guessable World

Just from a quick look at the popular maps.

massi83

A Diverse World is good, but that is designed for moving. Honestly, Urban World is also designed for moving, it's just that it's much easier to get a clue from where you are than A Diverse World is likely to give you.

There are plenty of other maps to try too.

https://www.geoguessr.com/maps/5bbb74ce2c01735208560cf6 - World Cities
https://www.geoguessr.com/maps/5c6085d43d925ba8140878a6 - A Guessable World

Just from a quick look at the popular maps.
Well if we go with world cities for couple of rounds. It is easy level, as previous was moderate, but average scores are 17.5k vs 16k, so not that different.

massi83

:( I found the road in the last one and was deciding where to drop the pin not realizing my time was running out.
That's a bit cruel. At least you would only be second. That's why I put it at 3m30sec. So basicly 3 mins and then you have to guess or too big of a risk to run out of time.

nimic

something nice
Scout
https://www.geoguessr.com/challenge/iqpZf6PxiOQvKunF - Made another Urban World. 5 min time limit.
I thought I was playing the "No Russia" one, so I didn't guess Russia for the one time it was actually Moscow.

I still really prefer the moving ones. When there's no street sign and no sea to orient around, it's pretty much impossible to guess where it is, particularly in Africa and places with Cyrillic. The maps aren't really made for no moving either, so you might be stuck with very little information. I got 5000 twice, and then 2 (though I was trying to be too smart).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I thought I was playing the "No Russia" one, so I didn't guess Russia for the one time it was actually Moscow.

I still really prefer the moving ones. When there's no street sign and no sea to orient around, it's pretty much impossible to guess where it is, particularly in Africa and places with Cyrillic. The maps aren't really made for no moving either, so you might be stuck with very little information. I got 5000 twice, and then 2 (though I was trying to be too smart).
I just think moving makes it too easy. People are getting close to 5k without it so imagine if they could click around anywhere.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Yeah I think being able to move makes it too easy for those of you with patience.

We could maybe do that you can move, but the reduce the time allowed to maybe 1 minute?

massi83

I just think moving makes it too easy. People are getting close to 5k without it so imagine if they could click around anywhere.
Yeah and now it is pretty equal with phone vs PC. And many just want to put 5mins to a round. Allowing movement would most likely increase the necessary effort. But can have couple of rounds with movement for variety also. Whatever people feel like.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Sure, but people are getting close to 5k when there are either good clues, they get a bit lucky, or the obvious country/region isn't too big. So when I guessed Warsaw instead of Krakow I still got like 4700. But that doesn't mean it took me any great skill to figure out it was Poland.

Honestly, the really satisfying guesses for me are when I felt I had some clues to work by, and I basically just figured it out. Not when I think "looks like Africa, there's some English, maybe it's Kenya?" and click Nairobi and get 4835. Or I might think "looks like Africa, there's some English, maybe it's Cape Town" and get 1369 instead.