Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

NinjaFletch

I just don't even understand what they were checking.

Robbie Savage doesn't know the laws of the game, so you can forgive him bleating on nonsense, but it was the most blatant deliberate attempt to deny a goal scoring opportunity you've ever seen. If you can't send a player off for that without asking the ref to look at it again then you have no right to be involved in the process.

Moonwalker

This whole looking at the monitor thing completely farcical, but supposedly it placates the fans so it's warranted. There's not a person in the world that wouldn't give that as a red (although this one took his sweet fecking time).

The ref checking var would have been just as competent, experienced and capable of making that decision as the main one. But since people whipped themselves into a frenzy over not seeing the authority who they are used to taking out their rage on, now we have to needlessly slow the game down and watch this buffoonery.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given it was a red card for deliberately denying a goalscoring opportunity, I'm assuming they were checking that it was a goalscoring opportunity? Does the shot have to be on target for it to count as one or something?

Even if so, I don't get how you could look at that and think it wasn't on target enough to let the ref's decision stand.

Rafaeldagold

How uttering ridiculous was that VAR call for our penalty. Not the decision which was right. (Which they ref got in 1 second)

But the utter waste of time & momentum of the game they took away checking that- when it was so obvious it was so stupid. This is what happens when you second guess yourself with hundreds of slow mo replays - it’s crazy.

And it ended up benefiting the team that caused the offence as all that time waiting was putting pressure on our penalty taker even more.

VAR needs to go ASAP

bleedred

I don't know if it's VAR but the new handball rule is confusing. Supposing a ball touches the player/vice versa but doesn't lead to a goal, rather a corner. And they score from the corner, will it be ruled out?

Anustart89

I don't know if it's VAR but the new handball rule is confusing. Supposing a ball touches the player/vice versa but doesn't lead to a goal, rather a corner. And they score from the corner, will it be ruled out?
Probably not. At least VAR wouldn’t look at it.

Although, the handball would be illegal if the corner was created from the keeper making a save as any handball that leads to a goal or goalscoring chance is illegal. Don’t think they’d look at it with VAR but the corner itself would’ve been wrong because it should’ve been a free kick for handball.

If the corner comes from a cross that the full back blocks then it’s not illegal I presume as a cross isn’t necessarily a goalscoring opportunity.

montpelier

I think you're in a bit deep here, tbh.

Defence gets the opportunity to reset, anyway.

ROFLUTION

The Calvert Lewin vs Shaw situation.

How can you check for a red card, go through the situation and not cancel Shaw's yellow? He barely does anything after he gets tackled very hard. Strange way of using VAR (again)

Now Shaw has to play half the game with a yellow card, for something he did nothing wrong of. Taxing his "behavior" as the same as Calvert Lewin. Why not just make another player do the same as Calvert Lewin on Shaw again now for example? That'd make Shaw get sent off, and Everton get away with 2 x yellow cards. Flaw in the system if you ask me, VAR and terrible use of it strikes again

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The Calvert Lewin vs Shaw situation.

How can you check for a red card, go through the situation and not cancel Shaw's yellow? He barely does anything after he gets tackled very hard. Strange way of using VAR (again)

Now Shaw has to play half the game with a yellow card, for something he did nothing wrong of. Taxing his "behavior" as the same as Calvert Lewin. Why not just make another player do the same as Calvert Lewin on Shaw again now for example? That'd make Shaw get sent off, and Everton get away with 2 x yellow cards. Flaw in the system if you ask me, VAR and terrible use of it strikes again
They also didn't watch it and see that Davies should have got a yellow for coming flying in and kneeing Shaw, which is what I presume the red check was for. So he should have got a second yellow and be off. It's a joke.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Aesthetically, there's something decidedly Dystopian about VAR...

The automated voice
The distant, faceless authority figure (football's 'Big Brother')
The rigid, stop start nature of the game
The confused masses in the stands

I absolutely Hate it. Really, I just want it gone from the game.

ROFLUTION

Aesthetically, there's something decidedly Dystopian about VAR...

The automated voice
The distant, faceless authority figure (football's 'Big Brother')
The rigid, stop start nature of the game
The confused masses in the stands

I absolutely Hate it. Really, I just want it gone from the game.
Couldn't agree more. Add to that the human aspect of thinking that what we do next is always a development just because it uses technology.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So you can give a blatantly wrong handball decision and book the player for no reason but VAR can’t look at it.

This bullshit system needs kicking out of the game, it’s infuriatingly inconsistent and makes a mockery of the game.

Anustart89

So you can give a blatantly wrong handball decision and book the player for no reason but VAR can’t look at it.

This bullshit system needs kicking out of the game, it’s infuriatingly inconsistent and makes a mockery of the game.
That’s why we need to add challenges for egregious calls like that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Few if any teams have benefited more from VAR than us. Without it our top four chances would have been buried long ago.

Anustart89

That should never be an offside.
He’s sitting between the keeper and the ball. How is de age a supposed to see the ball and judge what he’s going to do with it?

Clearly offside under the interfering with an opponent part of the law.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's a joke. If Everton had scored from that freekick where Fred was wrongly adjudged to have handballed it, we could do nothing. Then Everton score a perfectly fine goal and VAR somehow contrives to mess it up.

Still, when it's in our favour I'll take it.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Clear offside. Not sure how it's even controversial. Because it's in the last minute the rules don't apply?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's a joke. If Everton had scored from that freekick where Fred was wrongly adjudged to have handballed it, we could do nothing. Then Everton score a perfectly fine goal and VAR somehow contrives to mess it up.

It wasn't fine, clear offside

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

How was the Everton goal perfectly fine? He was a mile offside and interfering with play.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

When did that happen?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

The handball call was ridiculous but I think Fred was booked because he protested in the ref's face

arnie_ni

He had to lift his feet out of the way for the ball to go in, how can it not be offside?

beer&grill

De Gea was beaten by Maguire’s deflection, think Everton was robbed here.

montpelier

It should be offside but I've seen them given.

Stevie Wonder is probably a better ref than this guy though.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
De Gea was beaten by Maguire’s deflection, think Everton was robbed here.
Probably yes.

Of course he was on the ground in an offside position, but the deflection from Maguire was the most important thing. De Gea had a clear view, he hasn't touched the ball and de Gea was going into the other direction because of the deflection.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Should have stood. De Gea is moving to his right, can see the ball and even without Sigurdsson being there, he wouldnt have saved it. He was beaten by the deflection. Sigurdsson is not interfering with play. Its a goal