Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worst thing ever to happen in football. Everton were robbed
De Gea was beaten by Maguire’s deflection, think Everton was robbed here.
How on earth were they robbed? The player was miles offside and interfering with play so much that he had to actively get out of the way to let the ball in. He was also directly in De Gea's line of sight. It's as blatant an offside as you''ll see.

Thank Christ ye're not in the VAR room.

automaticflare

How can it not be offisde?

He made a movement that directly interferes with the play. If he stays still the ball hits him and doesn’t go in and then he is offside that’s how I am interpreting it

Thiagoal

I suspect referees and linesmen are reluctant to make decisions now as they know VAR will look at it anyway! I suspect in the days prior to VAR the offside would have been given by the ref/lino anyway!

Sara125

De Gea had gone the other way so he wasn’t getting to it anyway. For the actual decision Siggurdson was literally on the floor so I don’t buy that DDG was being obstructed. Sorry but if that had gone against us I’d be so angry.

L1nk

He had to lift his feet out of the way for the ball to go in, how can it not be offside?
Because it came off Lindelof I always was under the impression if the ball came off your own player then offside is basically a non factor

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Nothing prevented De Gea from jumping for the ball beside his judgement. His vision wasn’t obstructed nor was he being prevented to move. I have to admit this, but Everton was robbed.

But, it is like ufc. If you don’t knockout the opposition, you can’t complain much. Sigurdsson should have scored from the flick of by Richarlerson. He had the whole net to aim at. That chance was easier than a penalty kick.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He’s not interfering with play imo. De Gea wasn’t saving that.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Because it came off Lindelof I always was under the impression if the ball came off your own player then offside is basically a non factor
It's only if the ball originally moves goalwards from a defender that offside isn't a factor, like a passback or scuffed clearance. It would be mental if you couldn't be offside from deflected passes and shots :houllier:

montpelier

If you let that be onside, you get players falling over and lying on the ground near the GK, which would distract me if I was in nets.

Therefore, for general common sense...

And they tweaked the rule slightly isn't it?

beer&grill

How on earth were they robbed? The player was miles offside and interfering with play so much that he had to actively get out of the way to let the ball in. He was also directly in De Gea's line of sight. It's as blatant an offside as you''ll see.

Thank Christ ye're not in the VAR room.

Then the rules are stupid. It would have been a goal anyway had he not been in that position so in my opinion it doesn’t influence the outcome. I would be angry if it was at the other end of the pitch.

saivet

I think that decision was the correct one as far as the rules go.

It's unlucky for Everton because if Sigurdsson is not there then it's almost certainly a goal due to the deflection. I'd understand the frustration from their fans, but ultimately the right decision.

cyberman

Hes offside. You dont need the keeper making a save for it to be off.
Him lifting his legs to let it through is interfering in play imo.

RK

The only reason De Gea moved to his right was because the other half of the goal was blocked by Sigurdsson's picnic.
If you're in an offside position and possibly influencing the decision-making of the goalkeeper, you're offside.

Still hate VAR though.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Is there stats on this? We must be the biggest beneficiaries of VAR by a country mile.

Feels like something goes our way every week.

Razvan

This decision has nothing to do with VAR. The assistant referee would have disallowed that if there was no VAR anyway.

montpelier

Half of you are stark raving fecking mad with how you want football to be played.

Pagh Wraith

He's clearly in the way but claiming De Gea's vision was obstructed is quite a stretch I think. But I have to be honest, I'm not sure how the rule is worded exactly.

FlapR

Correct decision to disallow the goal. If I was in the Everton dressing room I'd be fecking livid at Sigurdsson for just sitting there offside like a lemon.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Then the rules are stupid. It would have been a goal anyway had he not been in that position so in my opinion it doesn’t influence the outcome. I would be angry if it was at the other end of the pitch.
I'm sure you would be angry. You would also be wrong. You can't expect the game to be reffed as per rules you've made up in your head.

Idxomer

The ball was on the floor all the time and so was the player that was sitting in front of De Gea during the shot, how can he have a complete view of the ball?!!

Hulme91

Anyone who says it's a goal and not offside has little to no knowledge of the rules of the game
VAR has been a fantastic addition overall and thankfully yet again a clear error has been rectified today

BigRedScouser

Supports
Liverpool
Don't think that gets overturned the other way.. you'd like to think trapped in their little replay room they'd be removed from the pressures of a decision like that but unfortunately not it seems.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We must be +10 points this season thanks to var. But yeah, let’s continue being quasi horrified with var.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's a joke. If Everton had scored from that freekick where Fred was wrongly adjudged to have handballed it, we could do nothing. Then Everton score a perfectly fine goal and VAR somehow contrives to mess it up.

Still, when it's in our favour I'll take it.
Take out VAR and then what ? The ref still gives that stupid handball and you still concede the goal (that only happened in your head btw).
As harsh as it feels for Everton, i think it's the right decision, DCL is not obstructing DeGea's view but just being there is enough to interfere and play on his mind.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's as clear an obstruction as you could see. Sigurdsson was offside, sat in front of De Gea, obstructing his line of sight & even moved his legs out of the way to allow the ball to pass into the net.

How there is such a debate is beyond me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably yes.

Of course he was on the ground in an offside position, but the deflection from Maguire was the most important thing. De Gea had a clear view, he hasn't touched the ball and de Gea was going into the other direction because of the deflection.
How does he have a clear view when Gylfi literally has to move his legs to get out the way?

He obviously doesn't have 100% site of the ball the entire way.